The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches

+44
maestegmafia
Nematode
mikey_dragon
MacKnocked-on
BamBam
Tattie Scones RRN
Gwlad
SirBurger
TheMildlyFranticLlama
justified sinner
BigGee
highland_scot
whocares
Prothero
kilo-doug
cp10
TJ
caz
reallybored
Weegie Wizard
GLove39
EWT Spoons
lostinwales
tigertattie
sensisball
R!skysports
takethelongroad
funnyExiledScot
bsando
Manky-Flanker
Imperialbigdave
NeilyBroon
alive555
nickj
IanBru
jimbopip
cakeordeath
RuggerRadge2611
Majestic83
madmaccas
RDW
Notch
George Carlin
48 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Empty Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches

Post by George Carlin Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Previous RWC related nonsense:
https://www.606v2.com/t58234p1000-scotland-world-cup-look-ahead-and-squad

Game 1:

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Irelan10   Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Scot_f10
IRELAND v SCOTLAND
15 August 2015
KO: 17:00 local
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Game 2:

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Italy_10Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Scot_f10
ITALY v SCOTLAND
22 August 2015
KO: 15:00 local
Stadio Olimpico di Torino, Turin

Game 3:

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Scot_f10   Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Italy_10
SCOTLAND v ITALY
29 August 2015
KO: 15:15 local
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Game 4:

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 France10  Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Scot_f10
FRANCE v SCOTLAND
05 September 2015
KO: 21:00 local
Stade de France, Saint-Denis

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches

Post by George Carlin Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:50 am

Scotland RWC Warm-up Matches - Page 3 Happy-10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

jimbopip wrote:RDW, I'm sitting here waiting for 8 o'clock when I can watch the Blackness v Samoa on a dodgy website someone who shall remain nameless told me about and doing my best to avoid the result  Doh

Queen ? Telegram? Why you young scamp.

When is the Casting Off Of The Frilly Blouses? As in when do the MFL also rans get told officially that they can stop holding tackle bags in the Scotland training sessions and go on holiday. (Kefalonia is quite affordable this year apparently)

1. Happy Birthday old boy.

2. Not sure when the squad will be announced, but for Scotland's sake I hope we don't have too many powder puff weegie forwards contaminating the pack. True, we need your fancy dan backs, but young Gray and Strauss aside, I'd like our pack to be competitive.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:56 am

Sweet baby Jesus. Even taking humidity & all the super 15 finalists missing that was a worrying show from Samoa.
October 10th is going to be some battle.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:56 am

HBD as they all seem to say on facebook.

See all this stuff about Horne and various others not being suitable due to playing badly a couple of years ago? What is going on with that?

Admittedly, this has only just occurred to me so I am likely just as guilty as everyone else but why does that seem to matter? Surely the national team should be selected on how they are playing this season. After all, Horne is about 25 so it makes sense that he should be a far better player (and more physically capable) than he was 2 or 3yrs ago.

If it was possible to pick a team just on most recent club form (to include those currently injured) would that team be much different from the one you want to be selected?

For me, Watson would be in ahead of Cowan or Barclay, Toolis for Gray Snr. Most worryingly, club form would put Lamont ahead of all the wingers apart from Seymour. He was actually playing really well for Glasgow before duffing his knee.

Am I imagining it or are we picking to a great extent on reputation? Is that a rugby thing or a Scottish rugby thing?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am

I hope we don't have any powder puff forwards full stop. Not when we're playing this lot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=208&v=Sj4OnVdezNs

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 am

GLove39 wrote:Sweet baby Jesus. Even taking humidity & all the super 15 finalists missing that was a worrying show from Samoa.

I'm going to be there in Newcastle as well, likely with my hands over my eyes!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:16 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:HBD as they all seem to say on facebook.

See all this stuff about Horne and various others not being suitable due to playing badly a couple of years ago? What is going on with that?

Admittedly, this has only just occurred to me so I am likely just as guilty as everyone else but why does that seem to matter? Surely the national team should be selected on how they are playing this season. After all, Horne is about 25 so it makes sense that he should be a far better player (and more physically capable) than he was 2 or 3yrs ago.

If it was possible to pick a team just on most recent club form (to include those currently injured) would that team be much different from the one you want to be selected?

For me, Watson would be in ahead of Cowan or Barclay, Toolis for Gray Snr. Most worryingly, club form would put Lamont ahead of all the wingers apart from Seymour. He was actually playing really well for Glasgow before duffing his knee.

Am I imagining it or are we picking to a great extent on reputation? Is that a rugby thing or a Scottish rugby thing?

Scotland has always made the mistake of ignoring recent form. If you have a spare month you can trawl through 606 and 606v2 Scottish posting history going back nearly 10 years and you'll see that constant criticism running through each thread.

That said, you can always rely on the weegies to pick their own and figure out the justification later. Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Sweet baby Jesus. Even taking humidity & all the super 15 finalists missing that was a worrying show from Samoa.

I'm sorely tempted. I chose the Japan game instead. Easier to get to for me. But what a game the Samoa game could turn out to be!

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:28 am

Mr Love, I've just watched the game and I fear I've reached a different conclusion from your own good self.

Restarts  All Samoa did was give the AB's a comfortable platform from which to attack.

Exit Strategies Tried to run the ball back from their own 22 far too often, gave away possession and field position.

Game Management Almost non-existent, played in the wrong areas, almost no variety in their play.

Scrum Yes they are all "big laddies" but unless the AB's scrum is one of the best on the planet then they were not very good at all.

Discipline They gave away silly penalties in kickable positions, the one which put the AB more than 7 ahead was shocking and stupid in equal measures.

We know about the positives; physical intensity, pace, handling skills. But there wasn't an awful lot other than that. They certainly didn't  "play smart" to any extent.

We should also keep this in mind; when did you last see a genuinely competitive international with no, yes zero, yellow cards?  

They will have played Japan, USA and the Boks before meeting us and they could have three wins, but just as likely have two defeats. Either way, if we don't beat the Boks it will still be winner takes all. We can beat that team I just watched.

p.s. thank you for the birthday wishes, you've made a happy man very old. p.p.s. GC where did you get the pic of Mrs Pip's mother?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:43 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I am going to the SA match instead. Only positive outcomes from that - anything we get is better than expected

Much better than actaully having the stress of expectations :-#0

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:49 am

Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I am going to the SA match instead. Only positive outcomes from that - anything we get is better than expected

Much better than actaully having the stress of expectations :-#0

On which note: if any of you lovely human beings find you have tickets for this match you can't use please PM me. Fingers Crossed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:19 pm

The SA match is the only one I'm not going to. I'm making good use of friends in Cheltenham and Leeds by swapping a ticket and a day with drunken Scots for a spare bed. Idiots.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Don't worry Jim, last month my parents posted me a birthday card which had two small fish in a bowl kissing, bubbles rising from them shaped like hearts, with the caption 'You're One In A Million'.

Am I mental? That's a Valentines card.

picard
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Don't worry Ian, you're no more mental than anyone who has spent time with the schizoid one.

Your dad is at that age where he buys cards and forgets to send them and your mum is at that age where "waste not want not" means that if there's a card on the kitchen table it's getting posted at the next available date.

Samoa...Gatlandball without the subtle nuances that a finely executed game plan brings.

If we can't beat them we don't deserve to be in the top eight.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:11 pm

sensisball wrote:Gilchrist always looks like he on his last legs after about 10 minutes of play, with his hands on his hips and sucking in air like he has been down a gas filled slate mine with a dying canary. I dont ever see words leave his mouth as he is too busy trying to stay alive, the idea of him as Scotland captain, to me, is frankly ludicrous.
If the choice of middle line jumper is between a man barely alive and the machine that never stops, namely Gray the younger, again in my opinion, there is no choice.
Would you pick Gilchrist ahead of R Gray at 4? Again the answer is no.
So where does he fit in? I just dont understand the hard on successive coaches have for the man. He couldnt survive a club match against a french side without being broken, what chance would he have when going toe to toe with mighty Joe Takori or the equally monstrous Eben Etzebeth? Answers on a very small post card please.

So is Gilchrist to be the new Kellock? 'Amazing' leadership skills from behind every ruck ("I can really read the game from here lads").

For me it has to be the chuckle brothers followed by Toolis in the match squad. I know he's young and, for a long time I thought he was g@sh, but he's had a hell of a season and has something of the Hines bite about him.

Last edited by madmaccas on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Oh, and if only Bresler was qualified!

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:42 pm

jimbopip wrote:

Mr Love, I've just watched the game and I fear I've reached a different conclusion from your own good self.

Restarts  All Samoa did was give the AB's a comfortable platform from which to attack.

Exit Strategies Tried to run the ball back from their own 22 far too often, gave away possession and field position.

Game Management Almost non-existent, played in the wrong areas, almost no variety in their play.

Scrum Yes they are all "big laddies" but unless the AB's scrum is one of the best on the planet then they were not very good at all.

Discipline They gave away silly penalties in kickable positions, the one which put the AB more than 7 ahead was shocking and stupid in equal measures.

We know about the positives; physical intensity, pace, handling skills. But there wasn't an awful lot other than that. They certainly didn't  "play smart" to any extent.

We should also keep this in mind; when did you last see a genuinely competitive international with no, yes zero, yellow cards?  

They will have played Japan, USA and the Boks before meeting us and they could have three wins, but just as likely have two defeats. Either way, if we don't beat the Boks it will still be winner takes all. We can beat that team I just watched.

p.s. thank you for the birthday wishes, you've made a happy man very old. p.p.s. GC where did you get the pic of Mrs Pip's mother?

Happy birthday old chap!

Issue is pretty much everything on that list could apply to us!
They really shut the All Blacks down well & kept things tight without playing smart. Can see us having a nightmare trying to unlock that defence & will no doubt give them far more ball to play with.
Can see the match being as tight as Allan Jacobsen in a Xs shirt.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:24 pm

madmaccas wrote:
sensisball wrote:Gilchrist always looks like he on his last legs after about 10 minutes of play, with his hands on his hips and sucking in air like he has been down a gas filled slate mine with a dying canary. I dont ever see words leave his mouth as he is too busy trying to stay alive, the idea of him as Scotland captain, to me, is frankly ludicrous.
If the choice of middle line jumper is between a man barely alive and the machine that never stops, namely Gray the younger, again in my opinion, there is no choice.
So where does he fit in? I just dont understand the hard on successive coaches have for the man. He couldnt survive a club match against a french side without being broken, what chance would he have when going toe to toe with mighty Joe Takori or the equally monstrous Eben Etzebeth? Answers on a very small post card please.

So is Gilchrist to be the new Kellock? 'Amazing' leadership skills from behind every ruck ("I can really read the game from here lads").

For me it has to be the chuckle brothers followed by Toolis in the match squad. I know he's young and, for a long time I thought he was g@sh, but he's had a hell of a season and has something of the Hines bite about him.

Gilchrist is 10x the player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:19 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
madmaccas wrote:

Gilchrist is 10x the player.

Really Fester? When the MFL's very own Crash Test Dummy has 50 odd Scotland caps, a shelf full of 1872 winners medals and a Pro 12 Champions medal then we can have this conversation. Now go sit on the naughty step and think about what you just said.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:28 pm

He's still a better player. Bigger, stronger, faster, better tackler, better hands....I could go on. Jonny Gray is a better player as well.

The medal haul is of course irrelevant to the qualitative assessment of the players as individual players, unless you feel that a World Cup winner like Matt Dawson or Peri Weepu is necessarily a better player than Rob Howley, Augustine Pichot or Gary Armstrong.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:13 am

Fes, warning picard

Where to begin ? Jonny Gray is a better player as well. Young Jonny will probably go down as the best second row of his generation. As such I now declare him nonpareil, as they say in the Scottish play.

The medal haul is of course irrelevant Actually did Rob Howley not win a Heineken Cup with Wasps? Did gary Armstrong not win a Grand Slam? I'm pretty sure Pichot won something at primary school.

Gilchrist may, in time, learn how to walk to the shops without bits of him falling off. He may even put together a run of matches for the Luvvies. Possibly moving onto full contact, competitive rugby for Scotland. But when, and only when...

When the MFL's very own Crash Test Dummy has 50 odd Scotland caps, a shelf full of 1872 winners medals and a Pro 12 Champions medal then we can have this conversation

p.s. It's not my birthday anymore so you may come off the naughty step.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 am

When was the last time Gilchrist actually played a game?

I know that he has 8 caps or something but I don't really remember that much about how he played on any of those occasions.

I know that he scored a try too, but I don't remember that either. Perhaps I am getting old.

Let's be clear though - Scotland very seldom breeds 6'8", 19 stone monsters so I am all for Gilchrist coming back strong to challenge for a starting shirt for Scotland or Edinburgh. The only thing I object to would be preferential treatment based upon reputation. Edinburgh's starting lock combo is Bresler and Toolis - it is complementary and works together well. Gilchrist needs to begin by getting that starting berth back.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:25 am

He captained Scotland in last year's summer tour - he acquitted himself well from memory.

Remember, the one where we travelled 3 continents and faced south Africa outside of the international window so only had Edinburgh and Glasgow players available, most of whom where injured.

And Adam Ashe was called back from the McPhail scholarship to play for Scotland...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:47 am

George Carlin wrote:When was the last time Gilchrist actually played a game?

I know that he has 8 caps or something but I don't really remember that much about how he played on any of those occasions.

I know that he scored a try too, but I don't remember that either. Perhaps I am getting old.

Let's be clear though - Scotland very seldom breeds 6'8", 19 stone monsters so I am all for Gilchrist coming back strong to challenge for a starting shirt for Scotland or Edinburgh. The only thing I object to would be preferential treatment based upon reputation. Edinburgh's starting lock combo is Bresler and Toolis - it is complementary and works together well. Gilchrist needs to begin by getting that starting berth back.

I couldn't agree more, but in a discussion around Kellock vs Gilchrist, only one of those players has received preferential treatment based upon reputation, and in spades as well!!

Re: Gilchrist, Scott Johnson no less has said he has a "bright future" as an international rugby players, so I think we can treat that as gospel...

Seriously though, GC makes a good point and one I entirely agree with. When a player has an extended period of injury it is absolutely right that he should earn his way back into the side, and in his absence Ben Toolis has done a great job. It's now Toolis' jersey at Edinburgh and Gilchrist needs to demonstrate that he is both a more effective player and that he can form a better partnership with Bresler.

Re: Scotland and the World Cup, worth noting that Gilchrist was Scotland captain at the point of an extremely unlucky injury. Toolis isn't in the squad, Gilchrist is. Personally I think that's harsh given the point made above, but that's where we are. We can assume that both Grays will rightly be in the squad, and then it comes down to Hamilton, Gilchrist and (if you are insane) Harley for the remain lock positions. For me Swinson isn't in the reckoning. Great club man, not an international player (same as Kellock).

Injuries to one side, Grayx2 will and should play each and every minute of our important WC games.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:57 am

Toolis is in the squad, was called up with Fife as late replacements.  Unless you meant in the initial squad, in which case yes, he wasn't initially called up, so his chances of making the cut are potentially lower than someone who was there from the start, and you're right Swinson isn't in the reckoning as he dropped out through injury (hence why Toolis is now in)

Fife and Toolis called up

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Gilchrist really is 10x the player Kellock is or was!

The game and the players have moved on massively since the ruck inspector first came onto the scene!

As much as Kellock gets abuse from us Edinburgh fans, he was a decent player. Its not fair to compare players from a different generation like that!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:02 pm

Laugh Whilst I know what you are trying to say, it's a bit harsh on a guy who retired about 4 weeks ago to say he is from a different generation.

My second row front runners would be the Grays but Snr will have to play well to stay ahead of the others. Next in line should be Toolis and if Gilchrist proves his fitness (and form) then Hamilton should stay at home. I think it is more likely that Toolis will miss out simply because he missed out on the original sqaud selection. How Swinson got in ahead of him is beyond me.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Toolis is in the squad, was called up with Fife as late replacements.  Unless you meant in the initial squad, in which case yes, he wasn't initially called up, so his chances of making the cut are potentially lower than someone who was there from the start, and you're right Swinson isn't in the reckoning as he dropped out through injury (hence why Toolis is now in)

Fife and Toolis called up

Thanks for keeping me right! Hadn't realised Toolis had been brought in. I'm pleased about that, I did feel that he should have been involved from the outset, although as you say, unlikely that he'll make the final cut ahead of someone who was in the original squad you'd think.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:Laugh Whilst I know what you are trying to say, it's a bit harsh on a guy who retired about 4 weeks ago to say he is from a different generation.

My second row front runners would be the Grays but Snr will have to play well to stay ahead of the others. Next in line should be Toolis and if Gilchrist proves his fitness (and form) then Hamilton should stay at home. I think it is more likely that Toolis will miss out simply because he missed out on the original sqaud selection. How Swinson got in ahead of him is beyond me.

Different playing generation then?

Kellock is old enough to be Gilchrist's dad - if they came from Dundee certainly!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:02 am

Gilchrist has been unlucky with injuries, pretty much missed the entire season.  In a similar boat to Matt Scott, got injured and someone else came through and nicked his spot.

Obviously the Kray brothers start, I'd take Toolis on the bench due to his athleticism and physicality.  With Harley covering lock, the final spot would go to Hamilton over Gilchrist for me.

Much derided on these board but imo his contribution is under-rated.  If we made it to the knock-out matches and had injuries at lock, i'd feel a lot more confident about the set-piece if Big Jim was involved.

Sounds like Hoyland has been impressing in the camp, would love to see him get a chance in the warm-ups as nothing quite beats raw pace and if the 7s are anything to go by, he's got it.  With neither Maitland or Visser setting the heather alight, maybe a possible bolter?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:46 am

How times have changed. Six years ago, I would have re-mortgaged young Bru's stones to have had either Maitland or Visser in the team. Now we're a bit sniffy about neither of them being Julian Savea.

Definite progress. I fully expect Hoyland to kick on this year - he is a genuinely exciting prospect. Like a Not Rubbish Lee Jones.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:10 am

George Carlin wrote:How times have changed. Six years ago, I would have re-mortgaged young Bru's stones to have had either Maitland or Visser in the team. Now we're a bit sniffy about neither of them being Julian Savea.

Definite progress. I fully expect Hoyland to kick on this year - he is a genuinely exciting prospect. Like a Not Rubbish Lee Jones.

Very noble of you!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:How times have changed. Six years ago, I would have re-mortgaged young Bru's stones to have had either Maitland or Visser in the team. Now we're a bit sniffy about neither of them being Julian Savea.

Very noble of you!
What can I say? I'm a giver.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Hiya, anyone else heard any whispers about John Hardie heading to Scotland to try for a place in the world cup squad? The Southland Times think it's happening.
http://dlvr.it/BVhQNX

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:32 pm

That is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard for a while!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Bonkers, but stranger things have happened. Barcs might be a tad peed off if this is even half true.

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Barcs being peed off with the SRU is a pretty permanent state of affairs.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:47 am

Very good pick up, Caz.

The interesting part of that piece is the bit where it says Hardie has tried to come over here before but his union has prevented him. That said, I recall that Hardie's an openside and I cannot believe this is a runner without him committing to terms with a Scottish pro franchise. The issue with that is that frankly neither side really needs him.

Glasgow have Fozzy, Sherlock and Bordill. Edinburgh have Watson, the Ginger Midget and possible Hugh Blake. Not that he wouldn't be at least as good as some of those players but he must have left it too late by now.

There will be no Brendan Laney-gate here.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:25 am

Don't forget Favaro will also be joining Glasgow. Hopefully he is fit, Italy have released him from their RWC camp due to an ongoing injury.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:05 am

I don't think Hardie is a player Scotland need, already got just as good if not better opensides in the national set up. He has not featured too much for the Highlanders over the last couple seasons as he keeps picking up injuries as well so not an ideal signing on that front either.
He also turned Scotland down about 3 or 4 years ago and said he wasn't interested and wanted to play for the All Blacks instead.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:14 am

George Carlin wrote:Very good pick up, Caz.

The interesting part of that piece is the bit where it says Hardie has tried to come over here before but his union has prevented him. That said, I recall that Hardie's an openside and I cannot believe this is a runner without him committing to terms with a Scottish pro franchise. The issue with that is that frankly neither side really needs him.

Glasgow have Fozzy, Sherlock and Bordill. Edinburgh have Watson, the Ginger Midget and possible Hugh Blake. Not that he wouldn't be at least as good as some of those players but he must have left it too late by now.

Didn't Mr Blake get transferred to the Weedge?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:14 am

Surely if he's good enough he should play? In fact, what leadership experience does he have......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:23 am

tigertattie wrote:

I can't see him listed on either Glasgow or Edinburgh's squad places, and there's been no mention of where he is going this season. Glasgow currently have 4 opensides and we have 2, so really he stands a better chance of gametime at Edinburgh than Glasgow....I don't think either set of fans will be that bothered where he ends up though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 am

sounds like the poor laddie is being messed about a bit!

Maybe the SRU wanted him but neither Toony nor Pappy Solomons see him as fitting into their plans going forward!

He could end up at London Scottish at this rate!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

I can't see him listed on either Glasgow or Edinburgh's squad places, and there's been no mention of where he is going this season.  Glasgow currently have 4 opensides and we have 2, so really he stands a better chance of gametime at Edinburgh than Glasgow....I don't think either set of fans will be that bothered where he ends up though!

To be fair to Blake, of the limited glimpses we've seen of him he looks quite good. He just needs more time on the field, and the whole Scotland call-up point was mismanaged and ill-advised (in my opinion).

Solomons on the other hand may be looking at his squad next season and wondering why he would need a third specialist openside (who at the very least looks no better than Watson and Grant), particularly when he's used both Du Preez and Coman at 7 in the past. With Denton and Manu in the squad as well he may feel that he already has enough, and priorities should be focused elsewhere - namely fly half.

I actually think Glasgow is the better place for him, purely because I think his qualities will suit the Glasgow style of play, but also because I think Chris Fusaro is an honest club player but little more. Favaro looks to me to be first choice 7 at Glasgow next season, but I think Blake would push him hard and at least be second choice. I think he'd be lower in the pecking order at Edinburgh, purely down to the strength we have in that position.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:23 pm

tigertattie wrote:Gilchrist really is 10x the player Kellock is or was!

I think Gilchrist really has to prove that yet

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:44 pm

"jimbopip "Barcs being peed off with the SRU is a pretty permanent state of affairs.

Aye, I'm hoping it makes him even more of a nuisance on the pitch.

GC. I wasn't looking, the link popped up on twitter. I don't usually read NZ papers after reading how little they think of us during the last world cup Sad

Fes.  Laugh

I really don't think this is going to happen.

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 am

I don't know if it's a coincidence and I could be reading too much into it, but Edinburgh Rugby are following Hardie on Twitter (and no Glasgow or Scottish Rugby). They tend to do this before announcing a new player.

Fingers crossed as he's a rare talent. The only other 7 we have available to us who is anywhere near his level is Barclay (Watson et al are promising but not quite there yet). A lot of people have been calling for him to get an AB cap, so that kind of talent shouldn't be ignored. We'd be lucky to have him imo.

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:45 am

Right chaps, since we're going through a real dry spell rugby wise, here's something to keep us all occupied...
Grab a ball (no that's not a joke at IanBru's expense) and round up some mates and film yourselves, doing what big schlong could never do, passing the ball.

Need more clips for this compilation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skKpo7F2T8c also try to do it somewhere scenic, in front of FES's palatial abode for instance!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:48 am

What do you do if you don't have any mates? Crying or Very sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content