The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto v Canelo 155 its on

+22
Marlonz
Mr Bounce
Valero's Conscience
Derbymanc
Atila
RanjitPatel
Coxy001
Dipper Brown
Herman Jaeger
Rodney
Jermaine2015
captain carrantuohil
catchweight
Strongback
Hands Of Stone
kingraf
hazharrison
TopHat24/7
ShahenshahG
TRUSSMAN66
AdamT
ONETWOFOREVER
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cotto v Canelo 155 its on - Page 2 Empty Cotto v Canelo 155 its on

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

This fight will take place some time on November. Canelo coming down again to 155 which is pushing it.

See Cotto winning this one on points.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Cotto v Canelo 155 its on - Page 2 Empty Re: Cotto v Canelo 155 its on

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 06 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:If this was a straightforward 154 fight, with no strap on the line, I'd be excited by it.  As it is, I can't get passed the farce of it all.

So 1lbs has made you go from excitement to declaring the fight a joke?! Don't get that. It's the same two fighters whether they weight 154 or 155. Get off the high horse Toppy. If you're excited by the fight, you're excited. Pointless being a martyr.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Jul 2015, 5:59 pm

I'm excited, but not ridiculously so. Should be a good fight. I'd rather the lineal middleweight championship title of the world was decided at full weight. Or at least close to it. Still, it's a good fight, no one should be disadvantaged by the catchweight. Lol at Canelo earning a shot at this by fighting light middleweights one pound above the 154lbs limit though. Boxing can at times be a wonderful caricature of sorts
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 06 Jul 2015, 6:05 pm

Tophat24/7 isn't wrong in his dislike of the fight. The fight is for the middleweight title, thus the weight limit should be 160lbs. I guess that's more important to Tophat than just getting to see two big names clash.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 6:15 pm

Don't think any of us want to see the middle belt on the line but it's an intriguing 50/50 match up. .

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 07 Jul 2015, 12:47 am

It's an exciting fight it's hard to remember Cotto being in a bad fight and Alverez will bring it.

It's a boxing enthusiasts dream fight. Some people will never be happy though, life treats them badly in their own head anyway.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 Jul 2015, 9:49 am

Dipper Brown wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:If this was a straightforward 154 fight, with no strap on the line, I'd be excited by it.  As it is, I can't get passed the farce of it all.

So 1lbs has made you go from excitement to declaring the fight a joke?! Don't get that. It's the same two fighters whether they weight 154 or 155. Get off the high horse Toppy. If you're excited by the fight, you're excited. Pointless being a martyr.

If it wasn't for the 160 title it wouldn't be a farce and I would be able to enjoy it for what it is - a potentially exciting match-up with two big name boxers with contrasting styles and a hard call on the winner.

But little things can become impossibly frustrating and I struggle to get passed. This is one such example.

I ran a duathlon on Friday and missed my target time by 37 seconds - rather than be happy with the overall achievement I can't get passed that 37 seconds (mainly wasted in transition) and it's made me totally unhappy with my performance & result.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:05 am

Same her Toppy, it's a good matchup for what it is, but the catchweight for the title makes the sport into more of a mockery.

I'll still watch it but be miffed the titles on the line. Some people are happy for the sport to continue to be diluted whilst the rest of us will speak out on the problems we have. (Saw a lot of people saying Mr Hearn was wrong for diluting the brit title (and he was) didn't see anyone sticking up for that)
Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 08 Jul 2015, 6:18 am

If it helps, the WBC are creating a "special belt" for this fight - so they're cool with the catchweight thumbsup

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:11 am

As others have said if the MW belt wasn't on the line I wouldn't care for the 155 ib limit as this is a perfect weight for both.

Taking the title out of the way it is a cracking fight and for me the most anticipated in some time.

2 years ago I would have given Cotto the slimmest of chances but now see it as a real 50/50 fight. Cotto is cuter with his skills whilst Canelo is the more aggressive fighter and much younger with more left in the tank.

FOTY candidate and I can't wait!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 08 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

I hate catchweights in title fights, but this is a mouthwatering prospect.

Will Cotto get old overnight or will he bring his "A" game? Will Alvarez's aggression and pressure give him the win? It's fascinating and as others have stated, a 50/50 fight. Hardly anybody expected Cotto to defeat Martinez in the manner he did - could this one be as explosive?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

hazharrison wrote:If it helps, the WBC are creating a "special belt" for this fight - so they're cool with the catchweight thumbsup

Going to reach a stage where If you don't win a world title of some sort during your career..............You're going to have failed miserably..

Unbelievable..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Sun 12 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

Just my 2 penny's worth but Cotto tends to do well against bigger opponents going back to his light-welter/welter days - Quintana was a big dude for instance and undefeated at the time - 23 - 0 with 18 KO's, Gomez had fought as high as 160 and had never been stopped before facing Cotto, even before wilting to a cheating, iron chinned Marg - another guy much bigger than Canelo, he was making a very good account of himself. Foreman, Rodriguez, Martinez and OBVIOUSLY Geale - freakishly so - were all bigger than Canelo and with the exception of Yuri and Delvin, hit at least as hard.

I think Cotto has the faster hands, faster feet and better coordination, left hook to the body now fluid again, etc. Alvarez will still be pretty dry making 155 and has never had good stamina. Yes, Cotto does'nt like pressure, but I don't think Canelo will be able to sustain his combinations with the long-term consistency required, partly because Cotto's movement will make it difficult for him and also for fear of gassing out. Also, I think his combinations can look overly rehearsed and stiff - even with guys that stand in front of him. Can see Cotto utilising the left to the body and he HAS the power upstairs to drop Canelo. Unless he grows old in the next 4-6 months, which I sincerely doubt, Cotto wins by stoppage.

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 12 Jul 2015, 4:58 pm

Marlon, those bigger guys tend to be shall we not from the top level with the exception of Martinez who was shot to pieces, it's hard to say he does better against that type of fighter when he's yet to face a top drawer one. Also not sure he has the power to trouble Alvarez who was barely bothered by the bombs Kirkland was throwing who punches significantly harder than Cotto.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Sun 12 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm

Just me, but I really did'nt see the power in Kirkland's shots after he got dropped in round 1. He might hit harder than Cotto when he has his legs under him, but he is at least a level, perhaps 2 below in terms of skill - Cotto is not going to walk forward with no defence like Kirkland - , he's a master at using educated pressure and has much better footwork than James or Canelo. Just my opinion. As for the big guys I mentioned, I'll concede Gomez, Rodriguez and Geale are less skilled than Canelo, but the others still possessed decent firepower and skills to match him. I could be wrong, but just how I feel. Think we can both agree it will be a mouth watering event, whoever we're backing!

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Sun 12 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

Also, the other thing is that Kirkland's coordination and punch output was so telegraphed that Alvarez was able to brace himself and tuck his chin into his chest for the majority of those 3 rounds. Cotto will be able to catch him with something he does'nt see at some point, maybe even quite early.

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 12 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

More I think about this the more I'm favouring Cotto, think stylistically he's just got a nice style to beat Canelo. The questions remains though, how will Cotto react when Canelo lands, and especially to the body, it's only at that moment we will see whether Cotto's resurgence is legit.

Don't think Cotto will stop Canelo but think he will outland him and outbox him for at least 7 of the 12 rounds

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 12 Jul 2015, 6:56 pm

Can't see anything but a canelo mauling in this fight. Hungry young fighter in his prime with good experience for his age...against a rejuvenated Cotto.....who was handily outclassed by Floyd and who demolished Martinez? Think he beat Yuri Foreman as well? Didn't he drain Geale down by a few pounds recently?

Cotto is going to get his ass handed to him here and I can't wait. Used to like the guy but now cant stand him. At all.

Canelo in 10

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Sun 12 Jul 2015, 7:12 pm

Not as outclassed as Canelo was against Floyd

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 29 Jul 2015, 6:21 pm

21st of November in Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas according to Fat Dan.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:18 pm

Oh no! Andre Ward on undercard. No chance of UK fans staying awake for main event!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 31 Jul 2015, 8:12 pm

Im expecting Alvarez to win at a canter. Not Cottos biggest fan admittedly but I think this could end up similar to the Trout fight

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 31 Jul 2015, 8:44 pm

Lance wrote:Not Cottos biggest fan admittedly but I think this could end up similar to the Trout fight
I agree with you there Vance

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2