The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just how popular is Basketball?

4 posters

Go down

Just how popular is Basketball? Empty Just how popular is Basketball?

Post by TG Tue 07 Jul 2015, 1:14 am

Globally, I reckon it is 2nd behind football, outwith the anomaly of India's 1 billion cricket followers. We just don't see it that way in the UK.

Probably similar to how the US/NZ folk see "soccer" - from their perspective its a minority sport, but of course globally it is king.

I ask because there is some debate as to what it the worlds 3rd biggest sports event. I think any whichever sport happens to be in town at the time claims this moniker, so Rugby World Cup is touting itself as no 3. But I think globally rugby is way, way behind basketball.

TG

Back to top Go down

Just how popular is Basketball? Empty Re: Just how popular is Basketball?

Post by LondonTiger Tue 07 Jul 2015, 9:00 am

Basketball is, globally, a much bigger sport than rugby. However it does not have the massive "event".

Is RWC the 3rd biggest sporting event in the world - depending on how you choose to calculate that Yes and No. It is still a minority sport.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm

Why eliminate Cricket? It's not just #1 in India. Pakistan, and Bangladesh have about 350 million between them, and it's trumps there? I don't like "if you ignore", stats.

Interestingly though, I don't know if B-ball is bigger than Rugby. Here's why: B-ball has a world championship, and an Olympic event. The fact that neither have really caught on to me suggest that while more kids worldwide may know who Kobe Bryant is, than who Richie McCaw is... I think the average NBA fan needed to click Google search for the entire world cup last year, while the average rugby fan will probably know most of the players in the top ten teams.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:58 am

It appears to be massively popular here in Hong Kong.

When I look out of the office window, it looks down on 12 basketball courts in a complex. 12 basketball courts take up an awful lot of room. They are full from 06:00 in the morning till when I have been leaving around 18:00 in the evening. When I say full, I mean full. Every court, all day long. A constant stream of people coming in and playing.

I assume you book for an hour or something like that. There are what look like official teams playing each other (amateur I guess) and kids just playing small games or one on one matches. There is not a minute that goes by that any of the courts are not occupied. Pretty much all the young to middle age men in the office play (locals anyway) and quite a few of the women.

They asked me if fancied joining them in a game t'other night. I politely declined. I didn't want to embarrass anybody.....

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

Basketball is massive through much of Europe with pro leagues in many countries. It is not just a case of NBA. It is also massive in China.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 09 Jul 2015, 9:05 pm

Yes, I realise it's popular in China, But I chose to ignore it because it's an anomaly with one billion people Very Happy
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down