The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At full strength what will our XI look like for CC

5 posters

Go down

At full strength what will our XI look like for CC Empty At full strength what will our XI look like for CC

Post by king_carlos Tue 31 May 2011, 9:00 pm

Firstly hello all! Been using 606 on and off for last few years but this is my first post on V2.

With the teams changing so much throughout the season I was just thinking what our side will look like at full strength now.

Bowling in particular is up for debate with Tremlett/Dernbach now away, Viscount/Dunn doing well, Jordan back, Meaker to return and Arafat seeming to struggle so far who everyone wants at full strength could be interesting. The usual problem of our spinners being unable to buy a wicket is certainly not helping matters though.

Nannes coming in for 20/20 is also great news in my opinion! You dont become the leading wicket taker in any format by accident!

So here's my county championship side;

1.Roy (Not sure whats happened to Brown-update from anyone better informed than myself would be great!)
2.RHB
3.Ramps
4.De Bruyn
5.Davies
6.Maynard
7.Batty (through lack of better option!)
8.Arafat
9.Meaker
10.Dernbach
11.Tremlett

12.Dunn or the Viscount

Not an ideal opening partnership but in fairness they've done alright together. Rest of the batting looks strong, especially if Ramps can start scoring as we'd now expect!

Pace attack actually looks quite good. Though we cant expect to have Tremlett much he showed what he can do yesterday! Dernbach and Meaker seem to be improving by the game, real shame about Meakers injury just when he was taking wickets. Arafat though yet to find the form we all hoped deserves his place for accuracy and experience, can also bowl long spells if neccesary.

Ohhh what we wouldnt give for a spinner though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

At full strength what will our XI look like for CC Empty Re: At full strength what will our XI look like for CC

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 31 May 2011, 9:13 pm

hi king_carlos wellcome
i pretty much agree with your line up the top 6 picks itself at the moment. as you said with no other spin options at the club apart from the one that shall not be named and simon king who i dont thing adams rates batty is the only choice and tremlett away with england means the viscount owns that spot. 12 man jordan as punishment for the game being played at the moment Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

At full strength what will our XI look like for CC Empty Re: At full strength what will our XI look like for CC

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 May 2011, 10:42 pm

King Carlos - a very warm welcome to 606v2 and, in particular, the Surrey board.

I think your team and comments are pretty much bang on. On current form (and not just in the present Derbys match), I would have the Viscount ahead of Arafat who has been mighty disappointing so far. I do though accept your comments about Arafat's experience and previous accuracy.

Given we will rarely be able to field our 'ideal team' due to injuries and international calls, the support cast are also vital. Key amongst those at the moment are probably Harinath, Spriegel and Dunn. Brown and Wilson should not be disregarded either but the former now has a dodgy disc in his back whilst the latter is badly out of form. Two slowies tipped for the future are Zafar Ansari and Freddie van den Bergh.

Interesting that none of us regard Pietersen as a Surrey player!

By the way, King Carlos, are you related at all to Asley Giles the King of Spain? Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 31 May 2011, 10:59 pm

Welcome too your Majesty. We are getting more regal by the day with Le Roi, S King, Jewell, the Viscount...

A very apt comment from Guildford. I read all the comments in order, pretty much agreeing with everything said - and it had not occurred to me that Pieterson was missing.

In the unlikely event of everyone being available a case could be made in at least some matches for dropping one of the quickies (probably Arafat) in favour of another batsman, notably Harinath, or maybe even Spriegel who would be as likely (ie not very) to take a wicket as a nameless second spinner. De Bruyn in any case is reasonably OK as a back up 5th bowler.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

guildford

Same as Corporal I had completely forgotten Pietersen! Not that we can hope to see much of him he may play a few 20/20 which in fairness makes our batting look formidable!

1.Roy
2.RHB
3.Pietersen
4.Davies
5.Ramps
6.Maynard
7.De Bruyn
8.Arafat
9.Dernbach
10.Tremlett (Batty more likely with international duty)
11.Nannes

Above would be my side for 20/20. As said the batting looks formidable and in the top 5 it's completely up for debate as to what order they'd be in!

Bowling however is hard to pick. Our lack of a spinner once again hurting us badly! Ideally you want 2 spinners in 20/20 but we barely have 1. Also with the side I've shown we'd be relying on the likes of De Bruyn,RHB,KP? to bowl 4 or more between them. Doesnt look pretty!

If we had Tremlett,Dernbach and Arafat all available we'd at least have three very handy pace men to play with though!

Jimbob

Just on Jordan quickly you cant deny it isnt looking good! Very upsetting what injury seems to have done to him as he was an outstanding prospect. Wasnt long ago we we're debating whether his batting or bowling would be stronger, now he's batting 9 and struggling to get a bowl!

Last edited by king_carlos on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

carlos joking aside i do agree with you about jordan i just hope he can turn it around and not end up like tudor

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:45 pm

King Carlos - Spriegel has done well this season in CB 40. I expect him to start in t20.

I suspect that Ramps will be rested for quite a few of these games.

As I've mentioned before, I don't want us to field an under 14 side in this tournament but hope we'll use it to give the odd game and a bit more experience to the likes of Jewell, Harinath and Lancefield.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 01 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

In 20-20 I think Schofield, Batty and Spriegel will probably all play with Ramps sitting them out.

1.Davies
2.RHB
3.Roy
4.Maynard
5.De Bruyn
6.Spriegel
7.Schofield
8.Batty
9.Arafat
10.Nannes
11.Dernbach

I'm assuming that KP and Tremlett will miss the majority as well so this is my predicted '1st' team. I could see Lancefield getting in ahead of one of the bowlers to make our batting go a bit deeper but Spriegel and Schofield are pretty good lower order limited over players. Dunn/Jewell/Jordan/Meaker will come in and play their share of games as well I would have thought.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

Jimbob

Re Jordan well said! Lets all hope he can recapture some form as we DEFINETLY dont want another Tudor on our hands!!

Guildford and Carrot

Yes I expect that you're both right with Ramps sitting out and obviously we cant hope to see much of KP/Tremlett. Was really just thinking outloud (or on keyboard-not sure what expression to use there!) as to what our side may look like at full strength.

Main reason I kept Ramps in was because I think the more circket he gets the better. If he starts scoring like he has in recent years and other players continue good form our batting line-up would start to look very formidable!

The team carrots named is definetly more likely. As you say we need another batsmen in their ideally. That side bats deep but problem is from 6-9 they are all really 8's at best.

Pardon my continued whinging but the spinner situation looks worse with each post! Lets just hope Schofield can find some of the 20/20 form of a few years back (earnt him a recall!) and Battys new 'mystery ball' is 2020 revelation! Wink

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Just as an add on what a win today!

Boy has Linley proved some people wrong-10 for the match! I remember when he resigned for this season and most of us thought a good signing as second team captain! Well done the Viscount! clap

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down