The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early

+6
nlpnlp
yappysnap
TightHEAD
LondonTiger
Poorfour
Rugby Fan
10 posters

Go down

Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early Empty Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 23 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

England have lacked a decent midfield for a decade or so. While selection blunders contributed to that state of affairs, injury played a big part too, and it's interesting to see how many of our nearly men have had to retire earlier than they might have hoped.

I'm not claiming the following would have been world beaters but the list shows we've had a fair amount of wear and tear in that position over the years.

Dan Hipkiss
Bath and former England centre Dan Hipkiss has been forced to call time on his playing career because of a shoulder injury.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/22626744

Anthony Allen
Leicester Tigers centre Anthony Allen has been forced to retire at the age of 28 because of a knee injury.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/33252488

Jordan Turner-Hall
Harlequins and England centre Jordan Turner-Hall has been forced to retire from rugby at the age of 27 due to injury
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_64730,00.html

Shontayne Hape
Former England centre Shontayne Hape has announced his retirement from the game after sustaining repeated concussions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2645185/Shontayne-Hape-retires-concussions-bring-depression.html

Stuart Abbott
England and Harlequins centre Stuart Abbott has announced his retirement from competitive rugby at the age of 29 because of a serious shoulder injury.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/harlequins/7060002.stm

Ollie Smith
By his own admission, Smith should still be playing the game at the age of 31. But a horrific knee injury put paid to that playing for Harlequins against Saracens in December 2010.
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-Tigers-star-Ollie-Smith-role-London/story-21186215-detail/story.html

James Simpson-Daniel
James Simpson-Daniel has retired on medical advice at the age of 32 after dislocating his left ankle last November.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/02/gloucester-james-simpson-daniel-retire-ankle-injury

Even players still in the professional game in one capacity or another saw their chances blighted by injury at key moments - Riki Flutey, Mathew Tait and Olly Barkley come to mind.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early Empty Re: Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early

Post by Poorfour Thu 23 Jul 2015, 12:10 pm

Centre seems to be a problem position, particularly IC. There may be an overplaying issue as well. Good centres are in short supply, and it's a position that bears the brunt of a lot of impacts.

The question is whether the new crop of EQP centres - who seem much more skilled - can be kept fit. Between Slade, Hill, Sloan, Tompkins, Marchant, Joseph , Daly and Manu there's no shortage of ability.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early Empty Re: Jordan Turner-Hall - another England centre retires early

Post by LondonTiger Thu 23 Jul 2015, 2:20 pm

Please do not forget Tom Stephenson in your rush to include quins P4 Wink .

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 23 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm

The thing is I don't think this is anything new, many players used to retire in their mid to late 20's before the game went pro.

I stopped playing (very low level) at 26 because I was always injured.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 23 Jul 2015, 5:18 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Please do not forget Tom Stephenson in your rush to include quins P4 Wink .

I'd have included him if I knew about him, LT. But I'm afraid I don't.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 23 Jul 2015, 6:05 pm

Ah, OK. I assumed you had forgotten him rather than not knowing a man who has two JWC winners medals, an AP winners medal and was Northampton's best centre this season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 23 Jul 2015, 9:17 pm

The real story is beware playing centre for Quins if you get an England call up...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 23 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm

yappysnap wrote:The real story is beware playing centre for Quins if you get an England call up...

Sadly, all too true. It seems we broke the mould with Will Greenwood, and it's broken everyone who's been near it since.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 24 Jul 2015, 5:50 am

On a related note, a growing number of Australian supporters seem to have concluded that you need a big man playing inside centre at Test level these days.

I don't think they liked the look of the Cooper-Giteau axis

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Mon 27 Jul 2015, 1:53 pm

Do you not think this is as a result of the 'crash ball' centres that have become prevalent in international rugby over the last few years - Roberts, Basteraud, Umaga, our own Manu, etc? Playing centre is probably the toughest place to tackle in the game as you get big men running at you at pace and not just head on, but at angles. Okay your 6 and 7 may get through a fair few tackles, but they are largely head on tackles of medium speed forwards, or sideways on tackles of faster backs.

It could just be a coincidence, but I think the days of a centre having a 10/15 year professional career ala BOD are now long gone.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:05 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Ah, OK. I assumed you had forgotten him rather than not knowing a man who has two JWC winners medals, an AP winners medal and was Northampton's best centre this season.

Yeah young Stephenson is a genuine one to watch.

Him and Hill should be fighting for that 12 spot soon I would think. Then if Slade is in the picture as well?

Olly Barkley suffered because he was lacking that few inches up top....and was a thoroughbred Charva.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:06 pm

Devoto will be up there challenging for the 12 shirt as well.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm

Ah yes I forgot about him.

Do you think Eastmonds chances will be gone post WC.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:13 pm

Think those NZ games did for him. I don't consider him a strong option, probably 4th in line now.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:24 pm

nlpnlp wrote:Do you not think this is as a result of the 'crash ball' centres that have become prevalent in international rugby over the last few years - Roberts, Basteraud, Umaga, our own Manu, etc?
That's also one reason some Australians are turning against the idea of a lighter man at 12. It's noticeable that Lancaster has never seemed inclined to look at Ford and Eastmond.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Jul 2015, 2:31 pm

Hasn't it always been a bigger heavier / lighter skilled combo in rugby though.

Just the difference is more noticeable now as the bigger guys are MASSIVE!

Off the top of my head...
Carling / Guscott
Bunce / Little
Horan / Little
Scott Hastings / Sean Lineen

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 28 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

Some other recent injury retirements from English centres

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bath-Rugby-centre-Ben-Williams-forced-retire/story-27448198-detail/story.html

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/rugby-union/london-wasps/news/wasps-centre-bell-announces-retirement_225909.html

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Injury-forces-England-Sevens-rugby-star-Rob/story-26375964-detail/story.html

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 29 Jul 2015, 5:16 pm

JTH never really kicked on. It's still a shame to see anyone have to retire that early though.

Post-WC I expect Slade will be the main in possession, and will be challenged by Devoto and possibly Stephenson (a player who seems to be genuinely able to play 12 and 13). Hill I a contender too, but needs to add a little to his game from what I've seen.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:37 am

I think Lancaster will need to check out that area very closely post world cup. Its been an alarming position for sometime.

10 - Ford, Farrell, Slade, Cips - Sorted
13 - Manu, Joseph - Sorted
12 - Far from Sorted

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 30 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think Lancaster will need to check out that area very closely post world cup. Its been an alarming position for sometime.

10 - Ford, Farrell, Slade, Cips - Sorted
13 - Manu, Joseph - Sorted
12 - Far from Sorted

But at least he's got options, and options without the obvious short-comings of Twelvetrees, Eastmond, Barritt and Burgess.

To be honest I'd be amazed if Slade wasn't given the shirt. He's an amazing talent and good at every aspect a 12 needs to be good at. I wouldn't even rule out him being 12 in the WC. I bet Catt and Farrell look at what he offers and find him a tempting option. Ford, Slade, Joseph must be the most talented English 10, 12, 13 of the professional era.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down