The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacific Nations Cup

+2
Fanster
Rugby Fan
6 posters

Go down

Pacific Nations Cup Empty Pacific Nations Cup

Post by Rugby Fan Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:48 am

We are two rounds in on the Pacific Nations Cup and it's proving to be an entertaining spectacle.

Samoa (ranked 9th in the World) and Fiji (10th) just played out a 30-30 draw, Samoa drawing level with a late penalty. Meanwhile, Japan (12th) lost to the USA (16th) for the first time since 2003, after the Americans survived a yellow card and fought back from behind in the second half. In the third match, Tonga (13th) beat Canada (18th) 28-18, which looks comfortable, but they had to come from behind to gain revenge for their defeat at the 2011 RWC.

Highlights here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/pnc

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Pacific Nations Cup Empty Re: Pacific Nations Cup

Post by Fanster Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:02 am

I can't believe I missed the games this morning, I was gutted!

I knew i'd miss a belter in the USA Japan.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Fiji vs Samoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fEHrIFV8Y4

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Cheers fan, I'll get straight on that after the SA NZ game

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:21 pm

before the end of the weekend, i will watch a replay of Japan-USA. Interesting to see how the Eagles came back in that one. Still not the full Eagles squad.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Well, Fiji won the tournament but it's hard to know what to read into results, not least because teams weren't at full strength all through the competition.

Japan had a rough ride. They lost for the first time since 2003 to USA, and got pipped by eventual champions Fiji because they lacked discipline. Even so, some observers think they were unlucky not to get a winning penalty try in that match, so it could have turned out differently. They then lost to Tonga with two men in the sin bin, so indiscipline was again a problem. All three of their losses could have gone the other way.

USA will enjoy the win against Japan but they struggled to beat Canada, who haven't looked very good. It took a drop goal with only 20 seconds on the clock to edge that match.

Tonga finished third, but looked the weakest of the Islander teams. Samoa and Fiji showed they can cause trouble, especially if you send in your second string against their first, but we'll have to see who actually gets named in their squads before we know how much of a threat they might be.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Thats the big problem, It takes some research to find out what players played but don't travel due to their French contracts, and other players havn't turned up to the squad yet.

Fiji and Samoa both look dangerous in open play, but both set peices look ropy when under pressure. Both benches failed to make positive impacts too IMO

USA look better drilled and well coached, but just don't have much quality there, they are 6-8 players from worrying their group.

Japan were a full on quandry, they played well in parts but then totally fell away in elements too.

Tonga are really struggling in all areas right now.

Ultimately as threatening as Fiji look, I don't think they have the 80 minutes to beat Wales, England or Australia, unless one of them take the game lightly enough to rest players.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:14 pm

According to the Tonga coach, they are in talks with 15 players from the French leagues and Super 15 about possible call ups to the World cup squad. So their team could look completely different in a couple of months.

They have been dealt a big blow though with Nasi Manu trying to become SQ.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:58 pm

I thought Tonga were always traditionally the weaker of the 3 islands anyway.

We've signed 3 of their players for this season - Latu (7), Taione Vea (TH Prop) and Tukulua (SH). Latu is ageing but the other two look very interesting signings...

I think the whole problem with the Island teams is imply the lack of preparation and quality time together. If that improved then they would be far more serious and consistent opposition.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:01 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I thought Tonga were always traditionally the weaker of the 3 islands anyway.

We've signed 3 of their players for this season - Latu (7), Taione Vea (TH Prop) and Tukulua (SH). Latu is ageing but the other two look very interesting signings...

I think the whole problem with the Island teams is imply the lack of preparation and quality time together. If that improved then they would be far more serious and consistent opposition.

I'd agree, but having 15 extra pro players to choose from couldn't hurt either

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Oh absolutely...but surely that's down to World Rugby to sort out these feckin French who are trying to destroy the game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Fiji look good, awesome that they are also in group A. Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down