The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights

+11
lostinwales
bsando
Gwlad
Bathman_in_London
Tattie Scones RRN
Cyril
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
jimbopip
alive555
George Carlin
15 posters

Go down

Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights Empty Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Aug 2015, 8:12 am

Anyone who is a fan of joyful, attacking rugby should watch these match highlights:

Clearly I am biased because current and former Glasgow players ran riot but this is well worth 5 minutes of any rugby fan's time.

How confident are Wales fans about beating this Fijian side?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights Empty Re: Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights

Post by alive555 Wed 12 Aug 2015, 8:25 am

George Carlin wrote:Anyone who is a fan of joyful, attacking rugby should watch these match highlights:

Clearly I am biased because current and former Glasgow players ran riot but this is well worth 5 minutes of any rugby fan's time.

IMHO fiji can beat wales. Absolutely possible. they did it in WC pool in 2007 and this team is a lot better than that one

alive555

Back to top Go down

Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights Empty Re: Pacific Nations Cup Final 2015 - Fiji v Samoa - Highlights

Post by jimbopip Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:03 pm

Naka and Mata are utterly ridonkulous.

The big fella just seems to be getting better and better.

I will hazard the opinion that if the Samoan runners can be stopped on the gain line they don't have a lot more to offer. If we can organise our defence properly AND make the tackles we can win against them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

I know it is going to sound a bit arrogant (and could well bite me on the ring), but I honestly can not see Wales losing to Fiji.

I appreciate that Fiji are a good side nowadays, and they are indeed capable of some really good rugby, but they are still capable of some really awful stuff, and having a mare in the set piece etc (as are we sadly). Seeing as the game is going to be the Millennium Stadium, with a crowd that will be demanding a good win and the roof closed (as it will be needed if we are going to hold any hopes of progressing), I would say that the Welsh side will be fired up enough to deal with Fiji.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:16 pm

jimbopip wrote:Naka and Mata are utterly ridonkulous.

The big fella just seems to be getting better and better.

He certainly seems to be one of those players who is better every time you see him play.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:23 pm

Scarlet, I think Fiji will upset someone and have a big say in the outcome of the group. I think I would like to see them win the opener against England and really get the whole tournament off to a flyer.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm

Jimbo, I think that is more likely to be honest.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:32 pm

Why just Wales fans ? Why not English and Aus fans ?

Wales beat Fiji 66-0 in RWC 2011 and that was away.

2007 has zero relevance to today's squad, different coach and I'm pretty sure there aren't many players left from then playing today ? 2 maybe ?

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:41 pm

munkian wrote:Why just Wales fans ? Why not English and Aus fans ?  

2007 has zero relevance to today's squad, different coach and I'm pretty sure there aren't many players left from then playing today ? 2 maybe ?

Wasn't getting at Wales specifically, Munkian - Fiji could bother England too on their day.

I think if Fiji still had a Nicky Little character at 10, then they would really be fearsome but they don't at the moment.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:53 pm

I'd be very surprised if Fiji get within 20 points of Australia, Wales or England.

They always seemed to get bigged up, but they're a way off the top sides.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 12 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm

Cyril, in one sense you are 100% correct, but in another sense....

Fiji have a number of players playing for big clubs at the moment, they have just won a tournament, they are ranked in the top 10 in the world and each World Cup has shown us that the gap between the "established " nations and the "minnows" is closing.

I don't expect them to get out of the group but if they have a day when everything clicks and on that day their opponents are less than 100% on their game then we will see an upset.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Wasn't getting at Wales specifically, Munkian - Fiji could bother England too on their day.

I think if Fiji still had a Nicky Little character at 10, then they would really be fearsome but they don't at the moment.

In 2007 we tried to out-Fiji Fiji which was never going to work considering how poor our squad was.

If we keep it tight and our set piece functions I cant see any problems
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm

jimbopip wrote:Cyril, in one sense you are 100% correct, but in another sense....

Fiji have a number of players playing for big clubs at the moment, they have just won a tournament, they are ranked in the top 10 in the world and each World Cup has shown us that the gap between the "established " nations and the "minnows" is closing.

I don't expect them to get out of the group but if they have a day when everything clicks and on that day their opponents are less than 100% on their game then we will see an upset.

Not to knock their achievement but they weren't playing '1st' teams where they ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:05 pm

Probably because Wales are the poorest of the three?

Australia are the RC holders and England are 6N runners up and at home. OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:13 pm

England are perennial 6 Nations runners up thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:17 pm

Which is quite nice.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:51 pm

In the past, Fiji have beaten Australia, Argentina, Canada, Italy, Japan, Romania, Samoa, Scotland, the USA and Wales which isn't bad at all.

Their problem has always been poor coaching and poor organisation but more and more of their squad are involved in good pro set ups now and if the game breaks down on a dry pitch, any international side outside the top 5 will be in trouble.

Just to assess the quality, a sample side could be:

01 Yanuyanutawa (Glasgow Warriors)
02 Ledua (Northland)
03 Koroi (Hurricanes)
04 Nakarawa (Glasgow Warriors)
05 Cavubati (Ospreys)
06 Qera (Montpellier)
07 Yato (Clermont)
08 Matadigo (Lyon)

09 Matawalu (Bath)
10 Ralulu (Farul Constanța - Romania)
11 Goneva (Leicester Tigers) / Naiyaravoro (Glasgow Warriors)
12 Nadolo (Crusaders)
13 Matavesi (Ospreys) / Tikoirotuma (Harlequins)
14 Nalaga (Clermont)
15 Talebula (Bordeaux Bègles)

Surely the strongest that they've had in all of their previous world cups?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 12 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm

There are some really exciting players in that team, the issue will be control at 9/10, which you could stereotypically say is often a problem for Islander teams.

I'd love to see them cause an upset (not against England obviously) but I think sadly they will push all 3 big teams close, but not quite make it.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 12 Aug 2015, 2:17 pm

George Carlin wrote:In the past, Fiji have beaten Australia, Argentina, Canada, Italy, Japan, Romania, Samoa, Scotland, the USA and Wales which isn't bad at all.

Their problem has always been poor coaching and poor organisation but more and more of their squad are involved in good pro set ups now and if the game breaks down on a dry pitch, any international side outside the top 5 will be in trouble.

02 Ledua (Northland)
03 Koroi (Hurricanes)
05 Cavubati (Ospreys)
06 Qera (Montpellier)
07 Yato (Clermont)
08 Matadigo (Lyon)

09 Matawalu (Bath)
12 Nadolo (Crusaders)
14 Nalaga (Clermont)

Just doesn't look right.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 12 Aug 2015, 5:01 pm

George Carlin wrote:Anyone who is a fan of joyful, attacking rugby should watch these match highlights:

With our draw as it is, it is certainly a concern. We play England only 5 days before so much of our 2nd string will have to figure. That is a real concern. I expect home advantage to tell though and as long as we play intelligently using the set piece and dont start throwing it around
the way they will then we should win (have to win)

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 12 Aug 2015, 5:16 pm

Pool A is going to be a cracker!

Unfortunately for Wales fans, Fiji play England and Aus first so assuming they lose those two they will definitely be fired up for one last big effort.

Personally I think Fiji will come undone by the set piece, England, Aus and Wales are all much more solid.

But I reckon there will be a few hairy moments at the very least, so much quality in that Fiji side.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm

You'd expect Australia to be better at everything, and England and Wales to win on the back of a steamrollering effort from their respective packs. Given Wales' issues at prop it could be more 'exciting' than it should

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:33 pm

alive555 wrote:

IMHO fiji can beat wales. Absolutely possible. they did it in WC pool in 2007 and this team is a lot better than that one

I would say that this Fijian team look pretty good.

Not sure why it is only Wales who should be wary..?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
alive555 wrote:

Obviously because w lost to them in 07. They won't present any threat to either England or Aus though FYI. Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:49 pm

Gwlad wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
alive555 wrote:

Obviously because w lost to them in 07. They won't present any threat to either England or Aus though FYI. Rolling Eyes

Oh I see, it is so easy to forget how important history is in predicting results...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:57 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Oh that's good, of course England are 6 Nations runner's up, because that's all they've been able to manage for 13 years despite numerous opportunities to win they have always managed to squander them. They have a team of decidedly average players with little RWC experience having lost their only world class back to a criminal conviction.

Wales meanwhile have won it 4 or 5 times i forget since 2003. Are chock full of winning Lions and coached by the a winning Lions coach.

But Wales are poorer, the ranking says so. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 12 Aug 2015, 8:00 pm

Another incorrect piece of info.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 13 Aug 2015, 3:32 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Oh that's good, of course England are 6 Nations runner's up, because that's all they've been able to manage for 13 years despite numerous opportunities to win they have always managed to squander them. They have a team of decidedly average players with little RWC experience having lost their only world class back to a criminal conviction.

Wales meanwhile have won it 4 or 5 times i forget since 2003. Are chock full of winning Lions and coached by the a winning Lions coach.

But Wales are poorer, the ranking says so. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Apologies. I just thought that England beat Wales last time (in Wales) and will be far far stronger at Twickenham so would be, rightly so, favourites against Wales.

Good luck to you though chum Fingers Crossed

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 14 Aug 2015, 10:51 am

George Carlin wrote:In the past, Fiji have beaten Australia, Argentina, Canada, Italy, Japan, Romania, Samoa, Scotland, the USA and Wales which isn't bad at all.

02 Ledua (Northland)
03 Koroi (Hurricanes)
05 Cavubati (Ospreys)
06 Qera (Montpellier)
07 Yato (Clermont)
08 Matadigo (Lyon)

09 Matawalu (Bath)
12 Nadolo (Crusaders)
14 Nalaga (Clermont)

That's underselling them. They have much stronger XVs than that - based on the PNC selections we are looking at something like:

1. Yanuyanutawa
2. Koto
3. Saulo
4. Cavubati
5. Nakarawa
6. Waqaniburotu
7. Qera
8. Yato

9. Matawalu
10. Matavesi
11. Nadolo
12. Botia
13. Goneva
14. Nayacalevu
15. Talebula

Ben Volavola, recently signed by the Crusader to replace one D. Carter, no less, will compete with Matavesi for 10 (and they may even play 10 & 12 in some matches). Nalaga, Nagusa, Lovobalavu, and Murimurivalu are some of the others who might yet grab a spot in the threequarters or on the bench. Of course Nadolo's ability to play 12 gives them flexibility. Whatever team they pick, there will be some brilliant players who don't even make the 23.

In addition to an outstanding backline, their scrummaging has improved a lot since their sponsorship deal with Vodafone started. They have got the better of NZ Maori and Samoa in recent games - both traditionally better scrummaging teams. England, Wales and Australia aren't the strongest scrummaging nations, so Fiji might well attain near-parity in that area. In that case the Tier 1 teams will be relying on superior discipline and organisation to give them the advantage, because they sure as hell aren't going to pack more attacking punch than Fiji.

Last edited by Wi11 on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 14 Aug 2015, 10:59 am

Wi11 wrote:England, Wales and Australia aren't the strongest scrummaging nations, so Fiji might well attain near-parity in that area.
Hmmm, I'd disagree about England not been one of the strongest scrummaging nations. Wales and Aussie fans can fight their own corner!

I also think Fiji are being hyped up way beyond their current ability, but I guess we'll soon find out Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:29 am

Cyril wrote:
Wi11 wrote:England, Wales and Australia aren't the strongest scrummaging nations, so Fiji might well attain near-parity in that area.
Hmmm, I'd disagree about England not been one of the strongest scrummaging nations. Wales and Aussie fans can fight their own corner!

I also think Fiji are being hyped up way beyond their current ability, but I guess we'll soon find out Smile

Agreed, I was really thinking more of Wales and Australia than England when I said that.

What makes you think Fiji are being hyped up way beyond their current ability? I'm pretty sure they are being way UNDERhyped in most quarters. Do you think Nadolo, Nayacalevu, Yato, Talebula etc are being overhyped? What about Nakarawa, Matawalu, Goneva?

It's hard to be sure how good they will turn out - Fiji play few games and even fewer with serious preparation (thankfully these are increasing now). But they are certainly looking a better side than Samoa, and Samoa recently came within 10 points of the All Blacks.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:40 am

Wi11 wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Agreed, I was really thinking more of Wales and Australia than England when I said that.

What makes you think Fiji are being hyped up way beyond their current ability? I'm pretty sure they are being way UNDERhyped in most quarters. Do you think Nadolo, Nayacalevu, Yato, Talebula etc are being overhyped? What about Nakarawa, Matawalu, Goneva?

It's hard to be sure how good they will turn out - Fiji play few games and even fewer with serious preparation (thankfully these are increasing now). But they are certainly looking a better side than Samoa, and Samoa recently came within 10 points of the All Blacks.
There are some final individuals in the Fiji set-up but you need a strong squad, a well-drilled structure and a solid set-piece to challenge the top sides. I just don't think they've got that. I also don't think you can judge too much from the Samoa/NZ game or the under-strength PNC.

Maybe I'm being too negative about Fiji but I think Aus, Wales and England will beat them pretty comfortably (20+ points). In a serious campaign their squad is going to be spread too thinly and their relative lack of organisation and structure will be exposed.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 14 Aug 2015, 12:16 pm

wi11 would be interesting to hear who you think the best scrummaging nations are because I would certainly put England as one of the best.

As for Fiji, exciting though they might be,England,Australia and Wales have the organisation to shut them down.

Agree with Cyril.

If Fiji can do the basics well then they could cause some real problems but that's a big if.

Expect Australia,England and Wales to pile on the pressure at set piece and in basics like restarts and the territory game.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 14 Aug 2015, 12:22 pm

I just hope we don't continually kick possession away to them...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 14 Aug 2015, 12:38 pm

Their scrum has improved substantially in the last year. Their squad depth in the backs is excellent, they routinely leave the likes of Nalaga, Nagusa, Goneva and Matawalu out of their team. Pack is also strong from 4 outwards. Thanks to the vodafone sponsorship and improved player availability during the PNC they have better training and quality game time than at any point in the past. Their main remaining weaknesses are stamina and discipline. With improvement in those areas they would have won all their PNC games at a canter and probably beaten the (understrength) Maori convincingly too. Their limitations are certainly less glaring than in 2007, and let's not forget that the 2007 team pushed South Africa very hard in the QFs, as well as dumping out Wales.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 14 Aug 2015, 3:03 pm

Again, what does 2007 have to do with now ? They haven't improved more since then than we have. What happened in 2011 or are we ignoring that ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 14 Aug 2015, 6:02 pm

Stop making it all about Wales, I am not trying to prove a point about who will win Wales-Fiji (for the record my money would be on Wales, who are clearly far more proven) and neither should you be. This is a discussion about Fiji and my point is they are a handy team right now and might cause trouble for *any* opponent.

2007 is relevant because we have desperately few markers of how a full-strength, fully prepared Fiji team will fare against Tier 1 nations. 2007 was the last time we could really describe a Fijian team as full strength and well prepared. So yes it's significant that the current team probably has better players and preparation than 2007. It suggests they may be capable of similar results this time round. Shame that their draw makes it so difficult for them to reach the knockouts.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down