The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The King is Dead long live the king.

+3
greybeard
Adam D
emack2
7 posters

Go down

The King is Dead long live the king. Empty The King is Dead long live the king.

Post by emack2 Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:17 am

606 died yesterday at 12.oo a.m,606v2,New606 ,Ja 606 have been posted to replace it.JA 606 though a memberI have been unable to gain access to the site,perhaps a sudden influx of members has caused overload.Or is already a casualty can any one confirm they are having the same trouble.

emack2

Back to top Go down

The King is Dead long live the king. Empty Re: The King is Dead long live the king.

Post by Adam D Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:46 am

They have posted on Twitter that they are under a DOS attack which apparently is a malicious computer attack and that the police have been involved.

They are blaming rival sites.

Two things on this:

1. I dont believe what they are saying (I reckon its more to do with legal action from the beeb). It is more than likely a easy excuse to give when something else is happening. Although I hope I am wrong and its a rival, who themselves get shut down!

2. If they are, it is unlikely to do with a rival site (and 100% nothing to do with 606v2).

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The King is Dead long live the king. Empty Re: The King is Dead long live the king.

Post by greybeard Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

I thought it was interesting that as soon as 606 went the way of the dodo JA suddenly stopped working.

A DOS attack is entirely possible, those things can be random and if you're not set up right you'll be targetted for no good reason.

But, yeah, BBC 606 legal team sounds way more likely, but if it's the case this site might get an angry letter saying the '606' word is copyrighted or somesuch. If that hasn't happened already maybe they're telling the truth

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 01 Jun 2011, 7:58 am

I ducked in for a peak yesterday (as a running count they'd had about 10 comments in the rugby section in the last week), and assumed that all the 606 soccer posters had gone over and swamped their server...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:34 am

I'm not surprised if ja606 has been pulled, surely there was some copyright infringement issue there?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostglos Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

Hello all just registered after reading the farewell posts on 606 yesterday. If there are any legal issues could this be 607? Very Happy

Lostglos

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:51 am

we did consider sexOHHHsex but thought we might draw the wrong type of crowd.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:52 am

Does Satan have copyright control over 666? devil

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:04 am

www.666.co.hell

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostglos Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

I know its not related (well maybe albeit very loosely) but whilst I'm here how many posts do you have to make before you can PM someone?

Lostglos

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

two!

we had a series of people who came on yesterday specifically to advertise via PM. So we added in the limit of 2 to be a slight deterrent.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

For those of us not so computer savvy, what is a DO attack?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

Denial of Service.

Someone explained it to me as the equivalent of baracading a shop entrance stopping people entering.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

doctor_grey wrote:For those of us not so computer savvy, what is a DO attack?

DOS = "Denial of Service". Basically some hacker who's taken over a pile of PCs around the world has them all try to do stuff on a website at the same time, overloading it's server with traffic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Edit: Hobo's summarised it much better ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostglos Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

ah right got ya I'm probably eligible now then 1st reason why 606 v2 is better than its predecessor!

Lostglos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down