The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's P4P King now?

+9
hazharrison
Hammersmith harrier
AdamT
Lance
aja424
TRUSSMAN66
Baby faced assassin
Mayweathers cellmate
themadworldofjb
13 posters

Go down

Who's P4P King now? Empty Who's P4P King now?

Post by themadworldofjb Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 am

I'm guessing this has been asked before but thought I would throw it out there anyway:

Now that Mayweather has retired and Pacquiao hasn't been the same for some time (and lost to Floyd), the question is who is P4P King now?

I think there a couple of candidates for this crown and I want to see what you guys think?

Boxrec are listing Canelo as their Number 1 with Golovkin sitting at 2 whilst The Ring have Roman Gonzalez as their P4P man with Kovalev at 2. I also want to throw in there the names of Naoya Inoue and Terence Crawford who I think are outstanding fighters.

My own personal choice is Gonzalez with GGG pushing him hard in 2nd.

Let me know what you think!
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Who's P4P King now? Empty Re: Who's P4P King now?

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:04 am

Ward?

As soon as GGG gets a name on his record he'll be straight in at #1.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:49 am

Don't see why crawford would be #1 or even top 5

Sorry but he's a good fighter but who's he beat? Burns was competive for 8 rounds, the featherweight Gamboa out boxed for 4 rounds before his size took over, Dulorme is a nearly man

Think that Gonzales is #1 because of his natural ability more than opposition,  likewise GGG is #2 because of the manner of victory and kovlaev is similar.

Rigondeux and ward are awkward to rank because of their ability but lack of fights, pacquiao top 5 because I feel he's still among the best fighters in the world.

Wlad obvs drops out, unsure Bradley quite makes the cut anymore khan likewise and Danny garcia has been poor since matthysse and Mikey has disappeared for 2 years

So....
1. Gonzales
2. GGG
3. Pacquiao
4. Kovalev
5. Canelo
6. Ward
7. Riogndeux
8. Lomachenko
9. Bradley
10. Inoue

Easily the hardest top 10 I've ever done and no confidence in my choices, too many questions around too many fighters

Think Errol spence, Felix Verdejo and Joshua are the hopes of the future, can't think of too many prospects coming though ngl
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:22 pm

Pacquiao is still the p4p king, he was number 2 and lost to number 1 (Who has now retired)

Ward has done absolutely nothing for years

Also surely you have to move up through the weights to prove that, isn't that why it was created in the first place?

Gonzalez is also a good shout he has actually moved from his original division

Even though Pacquiao hasn't "looked the same for years" out of the current crop he has only lost to Mayweather and his nemesis and beaten everyone else and most of the time in decisive fasion

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:22 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:Don't see why crawford would be #1 or even top 5

Sorry but he's a good fighter but who's he beat? Burns was competive for 8 rounds, the featherweight Gamboa out boxed for 4 rounds before his size took over, Dulorme is a nearly man

Think that Gonzales is #1 because of his natural ability more than opposition,  likewise GGG is #2 because of the manner of victory and kovlaev is similar.

Rigondeux and ward are awkward to rank because of their ability but lack of fights, pacquiao top 5 because I feel he's still among the best fighters in the world.

Wlad obvs drops out, unsure Bradley quite makes the cut anymore khan likewise and Danny garcia has been poor since matthysse and Mikey has disappeared for 2 years

So....
1. Gonzales
2. GGG
3. Pacquiao
4. Kovalev
5. Canelo
6. Ward
7. Riogndeux
8. Lomachenko
9. Bradley
10. Inoue

Easily the hardest top 10 I've ever done and no confidence in my choices, too many questions around too many fighters

Think Errol spence, Felix Verdejo and Joshua are the hopes of the future, can't think of too many prospects coming though ngl

Good list

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Manny is number 1...

What a complete wally.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Where is our very own Tyson Fury?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:45 am

Do tell us why he isn't?

Who has achieved what he has?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:48 am

Surely Kovalev is higher than GGG? Actually beaten some top contenders in his division

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:17 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:Do tell us why he isn't?

Who has achieved what he has?

He isn't because he got outboxed and lost.. and you don't get promoted from 3 to 1 when that happens..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:24 am

Ward ain't active so it isn't him. GGG has been good, but against who?
Rigondeaux has the skills, but not the ledger.

For me it's Kovalev and then probably Gonzalez. It's a lot harder to divine p4p now, than it ever has.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:11 am

AdamT wrote:Ward ain't active so it isn't him. GGG has been good, but against who?
Rigondeaux has the skills, but not the ledger.

For me it's Kovalev and then probably Gonzalez. It's a lot harder to divine p4p now, than it ever has.

If we go on resume, then Pacquiao murders both of them, I'm a huge fan of Kovalev, but he hasn't been able to beat those kind of guys yet, same with GGG. Yeah we see things and think man that guy looks awesome, but unfortunately (through no fault of his own) has he beaten any one in the echilons of p4p

Bearing in mind Pacquiao got beat my apparently "TBE", in my book it doesn't exactly diminish your standing.

Gonzalez probably deserves it, he moved through the weights and he is fighting the best around.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:27 am

Pacquiao has the best record of an active boxer but that doesn't mean diddly squat, he's been comprehensively beaten by the two best guys he faced in recent years and hasn't beaten a great deal. Gonzalez, GGG, Alvarez, Kovalev and Crawford are above him based on talent and recent resume whilst going back a little further Rigo and Ward would be above him too.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:40 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Pacquiao has the best record of an active boxer but that doesn't mean diddly squat, he's been comprehensively beaten by the two best guys he faced in recent years and hasn't beaten a great deal. Gonzalez, GGG, Alvarez, Kovalev and Crawford are above him based on talent and recent resume whilst going back a little further Rigo and Ward would be above him too.

Beaten comprehensively by the two best guys, who were those then???

I take it Mayweather is one

Marquez did not "comprehensively beat" Pac most of the times they fought

Fight 1 and 2 were razor close
Fight 3 Marquez won but got robbed
Fight 4 was the knockout, which MArquez was getting beat up badly in that fight (and Marquez is my favourite fighter of all time)

So Bradley isn't a great win then? Despite most people thinking after Pac he is the best at welterweight?

Crawford hasn't really beaten ANYONE yet to start talking about him even in the same conversation as what Pacquiao has achieved

You say that those guys are technically better, yet Pacquiao has upset the odds so many times

Yeah he lost to Marquez, the guy who gave him the most trouble, because his style Pacquiao just couldn't quite deal with, but a lot of fighters have guys they struggle with.

I hope he fights Crawford, because you will see how good he is even after coming off surgery, his is criminally under rated here

I guess we will agree to disagree on this one, I just can't understand, give me some actual facts

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:49 am

I think Marquez knocking him spark out was quite comprehensive if you ask me and what he's achieved throughout his career doesn't matter at this point in time. It isn't ranking them based on overall career but on recent form where he falls down quite badly.

The Bradley wins are good they aren't great, that word is thrown around far too much and no I don't think he's the second best 147lber any way. There are no facts it's opinion.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Hopefully, with Fury breathing life into the heavyweights, there'll be less focus on this P4P stuff.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah p4p is good for a laugh, but it is more important to distinguish the man in each weight class.

It would never happen, but I would love promoters to come together and have something similar to the Super Middleweight super 6.

It would be great, if even for a short time, we could point to the undisputed number one in each division.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:34 pm

hazharrison wrote:Hopefully, with Fury breathing life into the heavyweights, there'll be less focus on this P4P stuff.

We'll discuss what we like on here...Even tragic lineal stuff is welcome..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Hopefully, with Fury breathing life into the heavyweights, there'll be less focus on this P4P stuff.

We'll discuss what we like on here...Even tragic lineal stuff is welcome..

I wasn't suggesting otherwise - I meant less emphasis in the "media".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:35 pm

I love all the 'Pac was beating Marquez comfortably' in the fourth fight!!

He had been down in the first, came on strong but took too many risks in getting back into it and got left unconscious. We could say Morales was doing well in the third Pac fight on that basis but nobody would ever dream of remembering it that way

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Fury or Mayweather

Fury just won the undisputed HW crown and Mayweather comfortably beat the only threat to his crown.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Its a bullsh1t term

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Marquez had his nose broken was down in the fight

I was worried he was getting knocked out when I,watched it live

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Fury or Mayweather

Fury just won the undisputed HW crown and Mayweather comfortably beat the only threat to his crown.

A retired fighter can't be 'p4p king'. May as well say SRR, or SRL since at least he's alive still....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down