The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread

+31
Marshes
The Great Aukster
Fanster
bedfordwelsh
Engine#4
TightHEAD
ME-109
SecretFly
Seagultaf
GavinDragon
FecklessRogue
asoreleftshoulder
Sin é
Cloggie
Artful_Dodger
Luckless Pedestrian
majesticimperialman
offload
marty2086
glamorganalun
Jaysus
Notch
nathan
Knowsit17
Pete330v2
profitius
BigTrevsbigmac
mikey_dragon
formerly known as Sam
Pot Hale
wales606
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread

Post by wales606 Sat 08 Aug 2015, 1:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

I don't see a match thread, so here one is.

This is a tough one to call, could go either way although I think Ireland have the edge on paper.

Wales: H Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons); A Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), T Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), S Williams (Scarlets, capt), E Walker (Ospreys); J Hook (Gloucester Rugby), M Phillips (Racing Metro); N Smith (Ospreys), R Hibbard (Gloucester), A Jarvis (Ospreys), J Ball (Scarlets), D Day (Bath Rugby), R Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), J Tipuric (Ospreys, vice-capt), D Baker (Ospreys).

Replacements: R Evans (Scarlets), K Dacey (Cardiff Blues), S Andrews (Cardiff Blues), J King (Ospreys), T Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ll Williams (Cardiff Blues), G Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), M Morgan (Bristol Rugby).

Ireland: F Jones (Munster); A Trimble (Ulster), K Earls (Munster), D Cave (Ulster), F McFadden (Leinster); P Jackson (Ulster), E Reddan (Leinster); J McGrath (Leinster), R Strauss (Leinster), M Ross (Leinster); I Henderson (Ulster), D Ryan (Munster); J Murphy (Leinster), T O'Donnell (Munster), J Heaslip (Leinster, capt).

Replacements: R Best (Ulster), D Kilcoyne (Munster), M Bent (Leinster), D Tuohy (Ulster), C Henry (Ulster), K Marmion (Connacht), I Madigan (Leinster), S Zebo (Munster).
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

I'm not sure that too many of the fans are currently following that same line of opinion. But they are sure to be influenced by the rags soon enough.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales vs Ireland : Match Thread

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:18 am

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Ireland are playing more test matches than most pre RWC. It will be interesting to see what effect that has on their prospects.

I'm hoping Schmidt has his reasons, Maest.  
And I'm hoping it's not the IRFU overcompensating for assumed shortfalls in gametime before a previous WC.  
That muck-up seems to still haunt both players and the IRFU.  But if there is a tendency to go too much the other way, and have too many pre-games that might become decidedly more competitive as time goes on, then the risks are great that a central player or two is gone before the WC even begins.
Plus you get it harder and harder to conceal any differences in gameplans that you intend to bring to the WC, as friendly encounters keep coaxing you to try a few of them prematurely.

There was an interesting point pre match Saturday that warm up games are purely the alternative to the autumn internationals and a way of commercially exploiting the public.

It's less cynical as the public want to see the games.

But I do wonder how necessary they are?

We don't have pre-six nations warm ups I don't think the SH nations have any games after next weekend?

There were definitely some benefits to what Wales can learn from this match. But the players looked well undercooked as a team.

I've seen more cohesion from barbarians spring tour teams.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:06 pm

That's certainly one reason for the games - providing a platform for the team to gel. The RWC winner will have used most (if not all) of their squad during the tournament rather than carried passengers as injury cover - the RWC is different in that respect to all other Test series. Some of the players on 'standby' will also be better equipped to come on board if they're called.

Another reason for the NH teams to play these games is gaining match fitness.

Then there's the assessment of a player's form, especially if they have been off for a long period of time.

And of course it doesn't do any harm to raise some revenue...

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Aug 2015, 1:15 pm

It's official by the way. Lansdowne roof will be closed for the rematch.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Mon 10 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:I was delighted to see the standard of passing in the team has gone to another level.Ryan threw a 20 yard pass early in the first half that showed a glimpse of what was coming.

The longer Schmidt has these players the better they will get,we have a lot to work on but that was a hugely encouraging performance ,I can't wait for the return match and the England game where we'll see the first team in action.

This is the most important part. It looks like most of our pre-season has been spent around skills and it shows. How often has an irish team managed to have long passes connect like against Wales in the first run out? Never I'd say. I think we will go into the RWC with two radically different game plans, our 6 nations template that everyone is expecting from us and which we will resort to if we get to the later stages of the RWC, and a game more similar to Schmidt's Leinster - which I think will be on show through all the group games.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:36 am

I have said all along that winning (friendly or not) breeds confidence but despite the Welsh team being a mix n match what was very disappointing was the performances put in by the experienced players in the side.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4