The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three formats, three captains.

+5
hokeye_on sticky wicket
sonic_boom10
m@tt
Liam_Main
Cowshot
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Three formats, three captains. - Page 2 Empty Three formats, three captains.

Post by Cowshot Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:47 am

First topic message reminder :

So we have Strauss running the Tests, Cook captaining the 50 over rubbish, and Broad bossing the 20/20 boys.

Is it a good or bad thing to split the England captaincy like this? Have other countries done so?

I think my feeling is probably in favour, if only because of the sheer amount of cricket these days. There's no doubt in my mind that Strauss is the "real" England captain. If we played half the games, he'd captain the lot. But when we have a situation where he's needing to take a break just to stay mentally with it, then splitting the captaincy seems a sensible solution to me.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Three formats, three captains. - Page 2 Empty Re: Three formats, three captains.

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

Liam - some at Surrey would not consider that 'a good idea'!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Three formats, three captains. - Page 2 Empty Re: Three formats, three captains.

Post by Liam_Main Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:36 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Liam - some at Surrey would not consider that 'a good idea'!

Surrey have a decent batting line-up but surely you would want a player of KP's ability (when at his best) to help your campaign?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Liam - not if it means dropping Jason Roy which is what happened last time....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Corporal - can I upwardly delegate Liam's question to you?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Brilliant, Corporal!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Liam - not if it means dropping Jason Roy which is what happened last time....

Jason Roys a opening batter,right? KP won't open the batting.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

Liam_Main wrote:A good idea would be to send him to play domestic games at Surrey and try to regain his form. If he did then he would be nicely in touch going into the test series against India but if he didn't then it would give another player like Hildreth,Bopara who deserve a place in the side.

Or would it just wreck his confidence?

Is one match turning innings of 200 or so in a series enough to justify KP's place? It's what we get from him at best these days. Do agree that he's approaching the end of his window of opportunity. It remains to be seen if he ever gets properly to grips with his talent, or remains always a nearly great.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

Whatever else, there does seem general agreement that KP isn't a potential captain in any version of the game, whatever his form.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm

Roy wasn't previously an opener. He has been pressed into service as an opener as Surrey Management doesn't seem to believe in openers in the traditional sense. Whether Roy can emulate Sehwag I don't know, but he has that type of approach. He could yet be a very good warm up act for Jos Buttler in a future England T20 side.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:54 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Roy wasn't previously an opener. He has been pressed into service as an opener as Surrey Management doesn't seem to believe in openers in the traditional sense. Whether Roy can emulate Sehwag I don't know, but he has that type of approach. He could yet be a very good warm up act for Jos Buttler in a future England T20 side.

RHB and Roy seem a brilliant opening partnership for yous.

Roy for England seems too early to tell. But he's certainly made a cracking start too the season. Another South-African born player soon half of Englands team are gonna be full of them.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:00 am

sonic_boom10 wrote:
Cowshot wrote:Corp, Liam: Yeah, agree with both points re KP (see my comment above).

chuckle. Did anyone see what Bopara said about not being picked? I gather he wasn't happy. Wonder if he's damaged his chances of selection if KP is dropped?

I doubt KP will be dropped. The selectors will really want an in-form KP for the Indians, and will give him every opportunity to find that form.
Bopara has the mentality that the World is against him. He seems to forget that last time he played Test cricket he was found out and he mental strength was also found wanting.

He simply doesn't cut it at International level, same as Ramprakash

You may be right. I'd give him another go at 4 though (he was trying to play 3 before wasn't he?) before I chucked away such prodigious talent. Hate to see it wasted - like Ramps, or Hick, or even Trescothick, though that's a bit different.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:03 am

Liam - Roy is a tremendous talent and will certainly play for England. Please trust me on this. I've been banging on about this for just over a year since first seeing Roy play for Surrey seconds at - er - Guildford. I think most at Surrey now believe me or are too polite to disagree.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:12 am

guildfordbat wrote:Liam - Roy is a tremenous talent and will certainly play for England. Please trust me on this. I've been banging on about this for just over a year since first seeing Roy play for Surrey seconds at - er - Guildford. I think most at Surrey now believe me or are too polite to disagree.

I cant say I disagree but I can't say I agree. Only seen Roy a couple of times in the the CB40 so I can't say for sure if he will play for England or not. What I will say is from what I've seen he seems extremely talented. If only Sky showed more County Championship games or at least a highlight show.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:31 am

Personally would have gone with Strauss for Tests and Bell for both one day formats, wouldn't have minded Cook as VC for ODI's and Broad vice captain for 2020 though

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

Couple of people have mentioned Bell. Why him over Cook and Broad? His place is still a bit wobbly.

Vice captain is nothing, imo. Either you are captain or you aren't.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Cowshot wrote:Couple of people have mentioned Bell. Why him over Cook and Broad? His place is still a bit wobbly.

Vice captain is nothing, imo. Either you are captain or you aren't.

Bells place in the one-day side is secured. Twenty 20 well I would agree it's a bit wobbly especially with so many players around the international scene.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

Liam: Good point. I keep thinking Test cricket.

I saw something on this - Aggers I think saying "Well of course you couldn't have Broad doing the ODIs and you couldn't have Cook doing the 2020s."

The reasons weren't given. But no-one is mentioning Bell as even an outside candidate. He just doesn't seem to be in the captaincy reckoning.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Cowshot wrote:Liam: Good point. I keep thinking Test cricket.

I saw something on this - Aggers I think saying "Well of course you couldn't have Broad doing the ODIs and you couldn't have Cook doing the 2020s."

The reasons weren't given. But no-one is mentioning Bell as even an outside candidate. He just doesn't seem to be in the captaincy reckoning.

It surprises me really,Bells had experience as a captain at Warwickshire and he done a superb job there. Even winning the CB40.

Placing Cook and Broad as captains will work out brilliantly for the long haul but you've gotta think if there ready or not yet.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

Cowshot wrote:Whatever else, there does seem general agreement that KP isn't a potential captain in any version of the game, whatever his form.

I think that KP is pretty lucky to be in the side right now if i must be honest. He had one excellent innings in OZ but what did he do before and after that innings? He has been gradually going down hill for the last 2-3 years in my opinion.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Thu 02 Jun 2011, 7:10 pm

Bell was interviewed, along with Swann, so he was in with a chance. Flower, quite rightly, hasn't discussed how the interviews went though.

So far, Bell has excelled as Warwickshire's captain, both in the CB40 last year and in all competitions this year.

I wouldn't say his ODI place was secure. The top 6 will contain Cook, a keeper, Trott and Morgan. After that, you have Bell, Pietersen and Bopara who are currently in the setup, plus Taylor and maybe Hildreth as potential new faces (Stokes would be too were he not injured).

Personally, I'd have made Bell captain and opened with him, dropped KP and Bopara and given Taylor a go. As it is, we've gone with Cook, which creates a bit of a squeeze on the middle order places.
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

Bell was interviewed was he? Cheers. Didn't know that.

Bell to me has always seemed a rather diffident sort of person. I do not regard that as a fault, and captaincy might bring him out of himself. But it seems that with the possible exception of Broad, the Selectors have gone for more er, solid? confident? candidates...

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2