The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will David Haye really retire this year?

+13
AlexHuckerby
Seanusarrilius
fearlessBamber
coxy0001
TRUSSMAN66
oxring
joeyjojo618
BALTIMORA
Young_Towzer
eddyfightfan
lfc91
Fists of Fury
Steffan
17 posters

Go down

Will David Haye really retire this year? Empty Will David Haye really retire this year?

Post by Steffan Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 pm

If he beats Wlad and retires...well I just dont get it

Surley when you get to the top you must want to stay there at least for a while to enjoy it

I mean Haye retiring after winning the world title outright is like getting made managing director of a company on a Friday afternoon and resigning on the Monday morning

I know there is not a great amount of competition at heavyweight but surley a rematch with Wlad or a fight against Vitali would bring a good few extra bucks for Hayes retirement fund. Also you gotta think that Calzaghe and Hatton have both struggled after boxing with their lifestyle and im not saying that just because they did Haye will but surley retiring at age 31 will leave Haye at a bit of a loose end even with Hayemaker Promotions

Do you think Haye will really retire or will he stay on?

Regards

Steffan

Last edited by Steffan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 pm; edited 4 times in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Will David Haye really retire this year? Empty Re: Will David Haye really retire this year?

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Retires if he loses, fights Vitali if he wins, and if he wins that I think he could have maybe 1 more swansong in front of a big Brit crowd.

Best of luck to him, either way.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Will David Haye really retire this year? Empty Re: Will David Haye really retire this year?

Post by lfc91 Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 pm

If he beats wlad i doubt he will turn down a super fight with vitali, would be worth a huge amount of money to him and just dont think he will be able to turn it down.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:02 am

i think haye will probably retire after the k bros- especially if he gets offered a acting contract or something. he genuinely seems to feel that these fights will make all other fights out there for him fail in comparison. he's probably right too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 am

Talks too much and fights too little, so hope so.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:40 am

If he beats both Klits, he'll have proved his point and made a stack of cash. If he loses to one or both, he'll have still made a stack of cash but I can't see him wanting to stick around as 'just another contender'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:23 pm

I agree; I dont think he will stick around if he loses to either k brother.

If he beats both k brothers (I dont think he will for the record) then he would have to rematch them. Even if there arent any rematch clauses in the contracts, they will both get themselves back into contention immediately due to the absence of anyone better. I think he would end up facing both Wlad and Vit multiple times if he sticks around, and I doubt he would want to do that. Beat them both, unify two divisions and get out.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:52 pm

First article without a Rocky quote?

Most people would say that a Haye win would be great for boxing.

I don't see it. Because if he retires in October - or stays around to beat Vitali in November - where does that leave us then? With Wlad winning all the belts and calling Haye out of retirement for a rematch. For all time.

That's not great for HW boxing.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:57 pm

He beats Vlad he becomes a household name across the globe....

This = $20 million for a stiff after Vlad!!!

Got to be a strong man to turn that kind of dough down..

No he won't imo.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Is a short term fix vs long term fix

Short term he (hypothetically) beats Wlad and i somehow think would be up for a Vegas payday against Vitali post retirement date. He beats him (hypothetically) and the boxing world cheers as he's dispatched of both Wlad and Vitali (the latter would retire in my eyes)

Long term, should he stay around, what would he end up doing? He'd be no different to Wlad and what he's done i.e. simply battering poor heavies around in his own country.

Only way boxing fans get any excitement is if Haye continually fights Wlad, then Vitali, then Wlad... Which i can guarantee won't happen.

We can go on and ON AND ON about the state of the heavyweight division, like most divisions it's going through a poor time in terms of quality (super feather, middle etc aren't exactly stuffed with quality either) - it will eventually become the marquee division again. It's called a dynamic cycle, please accept it

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 pm

I thought the David Haye we all enjoyed watching retired after the Maccarinelli fight.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 am

Haye will fight Vitali if he gets past Wlad, his confidence will be so high he as willt he money on offer.

If he loses to either he is out IMO.

Thing is, i dont think he loves the sport, look how few fights he has had in his career, make Floyd look prolific.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:02 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:Haye will fight Vitali if he gets past Wlad, his confidence will be so high he as willt he money on offer.

If he loses to either he is out IMO.

Thing is, i dont think he loves the sport, look how few fights he has had in his career, make Floyd look prolific.

It's winning he loves and trust me you don't push yourself through the pain and the amount of time he has spent preparing for this fight which has been his entire life, and will be his legacy if he doesn't really want it.

It just seems a bit like that to the hardcore boxing fans looking in because he's doing The Graham Norton Show and Alan Carr Chatty Man and all this but he's making himself a bigger name.

Also as for a few of the fights, yeah fair enough his fights at HW haven't been prolific (The one against Ruiz was entertaining enough and impressive considering people were still doubting the mans power at HW) But so MAny people forget he would have probably gone for it a bit more against Valuev IF HE DIDN'T BREAK HIS GODDAMN RIGHT HAND IN THE SECOND ROUND! I mean give the MAN some credit, there's a lot of guys in boxing that would have just said stuff this and quit. And the Harrison fight ok I cannot even attempt to defend that :P Fact is he wins and usually wins by a knockout I just hope the superfight with Wlad makes it past the 1st and is half decent.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:06 am

If he beats Wlad I hope he doesnt avoid Vitali. Hes never seemed particularly keen to make the Vitali fight happen so I hope it doesnt become another drama trying to get that fight to happen if Haye pulls off the upset.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:25 am

whats haye weigh? could he potentionally get down to frochs division, there would be a fair few fight at that level and haye is quite small (relativly speaking). don't know if he would do this or not but one thing i would say is haye seems to be a man with a plan. most money, most exposure, least effort.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 am

He weighed in at about 215 for his last fight, so I don't think he'd be making a visit to SMW, even if he wanted to. Which he doesn't.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:32 am

really? that much, i expect him to weight less than that tbh.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 am

Haye is deceptively big, he just seems small because of the guys he's fighting.

Obviously, nothing to pull him down to cruiser, the only things I could see pulling him out of retirement would be a catchweight against a big stateside LHW name; Pascal, Dawson, Cloud etc - but even that seems far fatched.

However, I could see Haye lacing up his gloves in a couple of years' time to show Fury or Chis how it's done, IF one of them achieves at world level.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:24 am

eddyfightfan wrote:really? that much, i expect him to weight less than that tbh.

I was wrong, he was 210 against Fraudley. I think he was around 220 for Ruiz, and somewhere inbetween against Valuev.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 am

maybe but doubtful. probably will retire, like the cat who got the cream.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 am

what does 220 equate to in stones? im useless in pounds.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:31 am

eddyfightfan wrote:what does 220 equate to in stones? im useless in pounds.

Your divide it by 14

So about 15 st 8 pds

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:35 am

Yeah, what he said ^

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:37 am

bloody hell, no wonder he can punch.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:41 am

I dunno really. Frazier and Ali weighed between 210 & 230 if memory serves. Ali's about Haye's height, weighed about 217 in his earlier years I think. Tyson and Frazier are about 5'11, Tyson weighed about 220. It's all relative. Ali Funeka is about 6' and is fighting at what, lightweight? Less than ten stone, anyway!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 am

I don't think he will as some things have been said that indicate he won't.

We will only know once the Wlad fight is out of the way then a defense (shouldn't be Vitali as he is busy in September with Adamek)

It wouldn't be easy to walk away with 4 belts in your possession and HBO knocking down your door with big money, and if he loses - will he want to go out on a loss? - boxing history gives us that answer. (Apart from a handful of fighters like Hatton)

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 pm

he might retire in july

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down