The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Go Again! The Premier League thread

+39
socal1976
hampo17
JamesLincs
Crimey
Corporalhumblebucket
gw
Mat
owen10ozzy
sportform
wheelchair1991
Jermaine2015
Atila
nadeem2099
Lowlandbrit
westisbest
Ent
It Must Be Love
kingraf
guildfordbat
compelling and rich
CFCNick
wadey101
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Liam
Hammersmith harrier
Alistair
Trebs
Hero
LivinginItaly
Steffan
Good Golly I'm Olly
lfc91
NickisBHAFC
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
FIFA Diva
TRUSSMAN66
Duty281
Fernando
43 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 18 Empty We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Fernando Sun 23 Aug 2015, 4:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Galloway off for Browning due to injury

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 18 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm

The wonders of spending the best part of £1bil I suppose Nick and missing the irony myself.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

We Go Again! The Premier League thread - Page 18 Empty Re: We Go Again! The Premier League thread

Post by Holymiky Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:29 pm

Most of the top clubs have spent good money on players HH.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:31 pm

Which is precisely why they're better than the likes of Newcastle, don't think you can take the moral high ground over teams you dwarf in financial clout.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:34 pm

I'm not taking the moral high ground at all.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:37 pm

In regards to the likes of Varane/Marquinhos etc being decent, they're footballing defenders which the English game often doesn't appreciate, playing out from the back rather the old school beast who takes no prisoners. Could they rough it on a wet night in Stoke, probably not, but the game's evolved and so have centrebacks.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The wonders of spending the best part of £1bil I suppose Nick and missing the irony myself.

Most fans like to tell us that we were significantly crap before Roman came along but it's not true. We were quite far from Poopie. Top 6 team with a few recent cup wins. 95% of football fans would take that but because we ended up going the way we have then that period is apparently Poopie.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:44 pm

I wouldn't call Chelsea crap pre Roman but I'd certainly raise issue with the number of fans that suddenly emerged from the woodwork. Late 80s you were getting average gates of 16,000.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:47 pm

CFCNick wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:The wonders of spending the best part of £1bil I suppose Nick and missing the irony myself.

Most fans like to tell us that we were significantly crap before Roman came along but it's not true. We were quite far from Poopie. Top 6 team with a few recent cup wins. 95% of football fans would take that but because we ended up going the way we have then that period is apparently Poopie.

Youd not challenged for a Premier League title before. You were a Southampton (of now) kinda team who were propelled into a different stratosphere.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
CFCNick wrote:

Youd not challenged for a Premier League title before. You were a Southampton (of now) kinda team who were propelled into a different stratosphere.

More a Spurs than a Southampton I would say. Often on the periphery but never a real contender.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:52 pm

I know what Chelsea were like. We were close in 99 and did well in the Champions League and won the FA Cup the next year. Not like Southampton at all.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:57 pm

CFCNick wrote:I know what Chelsea were like. We were close in 99 and did well in the Champions League and won the FA Cup the next year. Not like Southampton at all.

Yet so do I. You were never serious contenders, in a league without the ridiculous gap caused by money now, in a Champions League that was an entirely different animal. Hero may be right with Spurs, but you had more potential to flop down. You were 11th in 95. And people dislike you because it was money that guaranteed you into a position you didnt build and go out and earn.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sat 26 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm

Chelsea would have possibly won the league in 99 if Poyet would have stayed fit. They were at the very least a good cup side before Roman came.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 26 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

Always like an excuse to excuse defenders being worse at their primary responsibility, if they can't defend then their ability on the ball doesn't matter.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 26 Sep 2015, 8:05 pm

They can defend, they just defend against the modern striker rather than an old fashioned centre forward because that's how the game has evolved, in the same way an old fashioned centreback wouldn't be able to deal with the modern day striker.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 26 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

Not being a fan of a side expected to win the majority of their games, I don't spite anyone their success regardless of how much paid.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 26 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm

GSC wrote:Not being a fan of a side expected to win the majority of their games, I don't spite anyone their success regardless of how much paid.

Its interesting, because I dont fancy doing it the Chelsea way. Yet I also know it would be intoxicating to have access to a new level of player. Chelsea fans have never been particularly likeable though, historically.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Sat 26 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm

Not even me Chris?  angel

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm

I have no issue with clubs spending external money when in this age the big clubs are untouchable in terms of the money they take in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

I think I've just stumbled upon Socal's youtube channel

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 26 Sep 2015, 9:57 pm

Holymiky wrote:Not even me Chris?  angel

You're a darling, Miky. That comment you made to HH about Smalling, Blackett, McNair etc is the closest to even passive-aggressive ive ever seen you get, let alone aggressive!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:01 pm

Well thanks.

I mean, i wasn't trying to be anything i just wanted to ask him as i thought that at least one of the players that Hero mentioned would be rated by HH.

It's fair enough though, it's his opinion and thats what this board is all about.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:06 pm

I don't rate defenders in general at the moment Miky, when Kompany and Silva are amongst the best in the world it's a poor indictment of the overall quality, neither are great defenders. The whole modern centre back against modern centre forward argument is a load of old tosh, Maldini was an old school defender brought through in the great late 80's Milan team and was still able to keep 'modern' forwards in check as recently as 8 years ago. It gets lost that old school defenders weren't just hoof it merchants some of them like Bobby Moore and Beckenbauer were bloody good on the ball putting the likes of Pique to shame.

Last edited by Hammersmith harrier on Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Sep 2015, 10:49 pm

Leicester are gonna need to do some proper defensive training this week, all over the place today.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm

MOTD casually missing out half the highlights of the West Ham/Norwich match there
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:48 pm

Olly wrote:MOTD casually missing out half the highlights of the West Ham/Norwich match there

All in aid of crappy analysis from Danny Murphy. Ho hum. 

A good match overall, draw the fair result. Wessi upto 5 assists in the league already, love for that man grows every week. If only Jerome could do a normal person finish
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:51 pm

Rules have shifted massively away from factoring defenders. Can barely make a tackle now a days.

That said the positions they take up are diabolical at times, have to blame the coaches too.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:58 pm

Frankly poor from Bournemouth's medical staff to let Wilson play on and essentially wreck his knee a minute or so later - maybe ineptitude that could cost them Premier League status, because they lack depth.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 27 Sep 2015, 12:15 am

Yes saw that earlier during yanks coverage. Physio assesses him and let's him go back on only for his knee to completely collapse the first time he tries to run.

Never mind Bournemouths season it could be career changing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm

I get the impression the Luke Shaw injury isn't as bad as first expected, seems very quick for him not to have a cast on.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

Does seem odd he hasn't got a hard cast on, when my son broke his arm over the summer they didn't put one on for a week though whilst it was still swelling so maybe they're waiting for the swelling from the two operations to subside.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 27 Sep 2015, 4:19 pm

Palace players going over very easily in this opening 20 minutes. That sort of game where it's just stop start.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 27 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm

Well that is bluddy clumsy

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Sep 2015, 5:28 pm

Silly tackle, good refereeing - Palace lead
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm

Uninspiring game. Watford's lack of firepower and general nous could well see them back in the Championship next year.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:42 pm

Yeah thanks SKY for that fantastic "super Sunday" Watford vs Palace. Great work lads

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 10:41 pm

I have to say really loved the Arsenal match although I had to watch it on my IPad because for some reason this is like the first match that the US broadcaster didn't cover live for Arsenal. Finally, some goals. If we are not going to get a striker, which Wenger doesn't seem to want to buy for some reason, then I really like this platoon system with Theo and Giroud. Theo should be the number 1 and Giroud 1A.

Ozil was brilliant he delivered so many perfectly weighted balls.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm

Chelsea, all I have to say is ha, ha, ha, and fraking ha. It appears that without Mike Dean and Costa's cheating your squad is currently a hot pile of steaming sheet. Could not enjoy it more. Should be 11 points behind the leaders at this point.

What has happened to Costa and Hazard? Oscar has been awful for a long time now. I mean Jose's claim that Hazard is the 3rd best player in the world is pretty ridiculous. He isn't even the third best player in the premier league this season. That genius sale of Mata by the special one is not looking that genius anymore.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:20 am

socal1976 wrote:Chelsea, all I have to say is ha, ha, ha, and fraking ha. It appears that without Mike Dean and Costa's cheating your squad is currently a hot pile of steaming sheet. Could not enjoy it more. Should be 11 points behind the leaders at this point.

What has happened to Costa and Hazard? Oscar has been awful for a long time now. I mean Jose's claim that Hazard is the 3rd best player in the world is pretty ridiculous. He isn't even the third best player in the premier league this season. That genius sale of Mata by the special one is not looking that genius anymore.

I like Mata and he is a quality player but he didn't fit the system that Jose Mourinho wanted to play by the looks and to be completely honest i think we have done okay without him. We sold him for like £30-40m and managed to win the title in the process. 

As for this season, we haven't had the greatest of starts but we are picking up and will be there or there abouts at the end of the season, we are more than capable of catching the teams at the top of the table right now and i'm certainly believing in my team.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:22 am

A long way to go in the season. It's unwise to write anybody off when we're in September, especially this season, which looked wide open before the season began, and still does.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:23 am

Chelsea will kick on feom here, coming back from two goals down at a ground they've most the last couple of years is just what mourinho needs to restore confidence.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 28 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm

"I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better" - Rodgers

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Mon 28 Sep 2015, 4:55 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:"I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better" - Rodgers

So he's Luis Suarez?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:06 pm

I laugh at WBA and their centre back recruitment, but is this the best Premier League (at least) choice of strikers theyve ever had?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:22 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I laugh at WBA and their centre back recruitment, but is this the best Premier League (at least) choice of strikers theyve ever had?

You would have to ask LiamB for his expert opinion on his beloved WBA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

Something caught my eye was this tweet - Romelu Lukaku is 22 and has scored 57 Premier League goals. Will surely go on to break some records if he stays in England?

I mean, I think the guy is pretty average, horrifying first touch & very inconsistent, but still bangs the goals away. 22 years old & 57 goals ain't shabby, if he stayed in the PL for the next 10 years, do you think he could be a serious challenger to Shearer?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:42 pm

Holymiky wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Chelsea, all I have to say is ha, ha, ha, and fraking ha. It appears that without Mike Dean and Costa's cheating your squad is currently a hot pile of steaming sheet. Could not enjoy it more. Should be 11 points behind the leaders at this point.

I like Mata and he is a quality player but he didn't fit the system that Jose Mourinho wanted to play by the looks and to be completely honest i think we have done okay without him. We sold him for like £30-40m and managed to win the title in the process. 

As for this season, we haven't had the greatest of starts but we are picking up and will be there or there abouts at the end of the season, we are more than capable of catching the teams at the top of the table right now and i'm certainly believing in my team.

I don't think so frankly. I don't doubt Chelsea can come back and contend but I don't have that feeling from what I have seen so far this year. They were less than impressive in the second half of last season as well. They were so far ahead and the other teams at the top were all to a degree struggling. I mean the 3 points against Arsenal masked what has been an atrocious couple of months of football. They have two wins in their last 8 league matches and those two wins are a stolen three points from Arsenal at home, and a 3-2 win over Norwich. I think City are playing better this season, United are much better, and Arsenal hasn't hit their stride but they aren't far off from the top of the table either. It isn't just the points, I mean 8 or 9 points behind isn't panic time especially this early in the season. But it is the fact that since the second half of last year they haven't looked good at all and instead of getting better seem to be getting worse. To me this has a feeling of a season where Chelsea struggle relatively. If as now Costa's goals dry up you really have no one else that can score. Hazard hasn't looked threatening for quite some time and Oscar hasn't really panned out. I think that is why they bought Pedro, a great player but I don't think he is going to win you the league that is for sure and I think will struggle early on to adjust to the new team and new league.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:47 pm

John wrote:Something caught my eye was this tweet - Romelu Lukaku is 22 and has scored 57 Premier League goals. Will surely go on to break some records if he stays in England?

I mean, I think the guy is pretty average, horrifying first touch & very inconsistent, but still bangs the goals away. 22 years old & 57 goals ain't shabby, if he stayed in the PL for the next 10 years, do you think he could be a serious challenger to Shearer?

It's actually 44 league goals in four whole seasons which isn't all that impressive, he won't be getting anywhere near Shearer.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
John wrote:Something caught my eye was this tweet - Romelu Lukaku is 22 and has scored 57 Premier League goals. Will surely go on to break some records if he stays in England?

It's actually 44 league goals in four whole seasons which isn't all that impressive, he won't be getting anywhere near Shearer.

Laugh I was just looking into it too, typical twitter nonsense. Only reason I posted, was because I was surprised he'd scored so many, but now obviously he hasn't. Think he's very average, as I said. No chance of beating old Al.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:12 pm

Not really much point including his first season at Chelsea
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:12 pm

Him, Kane and Berahino all need to basically get 20 goals a season for the next 10 years to have a sniff. I'm not sure that anyone who shows himself capable of doing so will stay in the Premier League. Not sure many English or Premier League strikers will get to 22 with the kind of experience Shearer had.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next