The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrilla in Manila - did Ali quit?

+7
hazharrison
ShahenshahG
Coxy001
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
AdamT
Adam D
11 posters

Go down

Thrilla in Manila - did Ali quit? Empty Thrilla in Manila - did Ali quit?

Post by Adam D Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

Joe Frazier is one of my favourite fighters of all time and reading back over the Tyson thread earlier, it got me thinking back to what many consider one of the greatest fights of all time.

Now the record books show that Ali won after Eddie Futch retired Joe just before the 15th round. Frazier wanted to continue, claiming  "I want him, boss," to which Eddie replied "It's all over. No one will forget what you did here today".

However, there are a lot of rumours/ claims that Ali himself was about to quit on his stool as well. There are also a lot of people who have stated that this was nonsense. My question is, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Adam D on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Thrilla in Manila - did Ali quit? Empty Re: Thrilla in Manila - did Ali quit?

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:35 am

I think he would of fought on. Perhaps he did say no more, but Dundee would of got him up for the last round.

Greatest fight ever imo. Not because of the skill level, both fighters were on the decline.

Perhaps that is what made the fight so special. I know Gatti vs Ward and Castillo v Corralles were wars, but seeing two big guys throwing everything at each other and no man wanting to give an inch, is special.

Both fighters were special and for me personally, will always be the greatest rivals in boxing history. Their 1st fight was also a fantastic fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:35 am

Angelo Dundee said it was bollox............Legendary events always have myths that grow out of them....

Get some wallies that believe the US govt was responsible for 9/11..........

Can't see Ali quitting with one round to go ahead on the cards.....Can't see Dundee stopping it either......

Remember he should have been stopped against Larry seven rounds earlier..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:42 am

Worth remembering Ali had given him an absolute shellacking in the 14th, comfortably the clearest round of the fight. Can't believe on the back of that Ali does not come out for the last. Am sure he was knackered and sure he was struggling, but he could see in the 14th Frazier was spent.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:01 pm

Believe the story has been embezzled somewhat. The version I've heard is that Ali was actually quoted as saying "he quit and I was so knackered I could've done so as well" which got translated/written up as "I was about to quit before he did". As Rowley says he gave Frazier an absolute hiding in the 14th and I can't fathom how a guy who'd almost had him out of there wouldn't rise for the next (in this case last) round.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:16 pm

Embellished I suspect you mean Coxy

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:21 pm

Guilty conscience playing up Rowley because Tino was outside his house yesterday.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:29 pm

Ali's would never let him quit on his stool. He was close to exhaustion but would surely have seen out the round. Futch's intervention was a blessing for both men.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:30 pm

Blessing for Frazier, he was getting his head kicked in. He couldn't see.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:40 pm

AdamT wrote:Blessing for Frazier, he was getting his head kicked in. He couldn't see.

A blessing for Ali also. Ali left a big chunk of himself in Manila (he collapsed at the finish and famously remarked he felt "close to death"). Another round would not have helped him in that regard.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:42 pm

Yeah I guess, he could of collapsed, but Frazier looked like could of been killed, with another blow.

Dramatic stuff.

This fight is the main reason why ALi is the king for me.

He has a lot of heart, as does Frazier of course.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:44 pm

AdamT wrote:Yeah I guess, he could of collapsed, but Frazier looked like could of been killed, with another blow.

Dramatic stuff.

This fight is the main reason why ALi is the king for me.

He has a lot of heart, as does Frazier of course.

Yep, when was the last time you watched a courageous heavyweight?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:47 pm

Vitali vs Lennox??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Sep 2015, 12:52 pm

Before that, Tyson vs Lewis. Far from his best showing, but for me Tyson showed a great level of maturity.

He was outclassed, but he went in there and took his beating like a man. Mike was a tough,tough guy and as much as it was gutting at the time to see such a once talented fighter look outclassed, I do look back and think he showed a lot of heart.

In some ways it helped erase the ghost of the ear biting fight. People thought he was just a quitter, maybe back against Holyfield he was. However he took a serious beating against Lewis. Even Lewis acknowledged how Tough Mike was and he hurt his hand hitting him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 02 Sep 2015, 2:17 pm

I couldn't see Ali quitting not in his nature to do that, you would have had to nail him to the canvas.

The greatest Heavyweight fight in history for me and many others.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 09 Sep 2015, 1:33 pm

Regardless of how close to quitting he was I just don't think he would have / would have been allowed to.

Hate this fight, horrible to see two boxing greats with such little skill left just repeatedly punching each other.

Only Ali fight I dislike more is the Homes fight, that is just sad to watch.

huw

Back to top Go down

Thrilla in Manila - did Ali quit? Empty Did Ali Quit in Manila ?

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:32 pm

huw wrote:Regardless of how close to quitting he was I just don't think he would have / would have been allowed to.

Hate this fight, horrible to see two boxing greats with such little skill left just repeatedly punching each other.

Only Ali fight I dislike more is the Homes fight, that is just sad to watch.
I agree it wasn't a great fight, though it will be remembered but as huw says it was just two one time greats seeing who could take the most punishment. I enjoyed it at the time but watching it again over the years I realise it was a fight they could have done without.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

I can't see Ali retiring at that point. There is a time and place to throw in the towel but the decision is rarely made by the boxer. Much like retirement, they never know when to quit. The corner will often give a warning that if a fighter doesn't buck up their ideas in the next round they will pull them out and Ali had just had a corker. You could even ignore scorecards at this stage as Frazier was not looking good so there was a decent chance of a KO victory by this point. That would have been enough for Dundee to send him out.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down