The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 5 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 5 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:26 pm

Beware downhills on run profiles!!

I totally mis-read the Great North Run which looked like a nice long down slope after the main hill but it never materialised. Bloody killed me as I got all my pacing wrong and barely survived the last few km.

MapMyRun/Ride is great. I first got it for cycling when I was losing weight (you get sync it with MyFitnessPal - a super weight loss tool) and then my running. Is pretty accurate though I've noticed the GPS can struggle in heavily built up areas around tall buildings - reviewing my runs into work, they get very wonky once I get into Central London!

My uncle always said don't become a slave to trackers though, and he's usually right about these kind of things, so I try to ensure my focus is on my running, comfort, pace etc and less so the tracker output.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 5 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Your uncle is right. Sometimes it's best just to go out and enjoy a long run, and not time it, which is what I might do this weekend.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm

Good luck TopHat with resumed running - I will need to sort out some winter running gear soon.  Both - thanks for the tips re finding out about courses etc.

On the chart because of the scales used the hill on the 10 miler looks almost vertical, like the Matterhorn! Shocked - In practice I don't think it's all that steep, although it does last a fair while.  I guess the main thing is not to overdo the first half of the race so I don't grind to a complete halt on the hill.  I'm doing a fair bit of hill practice at the moment, and have also got a 10k coming up in a week's time (Crowborough) which is I fear considerably more hilly than the Staplehurst run.  (It seemed like a good idea at the time to enter!)

I haven't really got a time in mind yet - I suppose I'm not at all sure at the moment what would represent a reasonable target - beyond actually getting round the course!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm

Stella wrote:Your uncle is right. Sometimes it's best just to go out and enjoy a long run, and not time it, which is what I might do this weekend.

There seems to be quite a lot of emphasis in various training plans on doing a weekly "long, slow run" as a way of building up stamina. Earlier this week I did around 7 miles, in about 70 mins.  I'm planning on doing some more in the coming weeks, maybe up to 8/9 miles, as part of my training for 10 miles.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 2:05 pm

Are you dong a parkrun this weekend, Corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Nov 2015, 2:15 pm

Yes, Stella. I haven't decided between my usual one (Tunbridge Wells) or Tonbridge. I have been meaning to return to Tonbridge for a run at some point to try and lower my PB there.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 21 Nov 2015, 11:12 am

Did Tunbridge Wells parkrun in the end.  Bleak sort of morning - we had to run through a blizzard of wet snow.  But felt good after a shower and supplementary breakfast. Quite pleased with time of 27.13 considering we had to go very slow on the icy downhill slopes and run through quagmire in various places.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sat 21 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

A tough run, Corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 21 Nov 2015, 12:22 pm

Quite tough, Stella. But about 2/3 of the run was on reasonable or good surfaces, so I guess it was more like a small taster of what a difficult cross country run would be like. Felt like the longer runs are proving their use in improving stamina over these shorter 5k runs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 30 Nov 2015, 11:11 pm

Crowborough 10k was a tough one, and I managed 54.31.  The course was two laps so the same steep hill came up twice - I had to walk about 100 mtrs of the hill on second lap, so more hill training needed!  Enjoyed running through the ford, twice. Run

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 01 Dec 2015, 9:50 am

More treadmill running this morning, left calf this time pulled up tight & painful. Sad

God knows when I'm going to be able to run comfortably and free from injury.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 01 Dec 2015, 8:56 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:More treadmill running this morning, left calf this time pulled up tight & painful. Sad

God knows when I'm going to be able to run comfortably and free from injury.......

Hard luck Tophat....that is so frustrating for you. Crying or Very sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 02 Dec 2015, 9:33 am

Have had to switch back to cycling into the work the rest of this week, easier on the calf and still burns decent calories overall.

Frustrating but as long as I'm fighting fit for the New Year I'll be happy!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Dec 2015, 12:12 pm

Have you ran on the road of late, tophat? I found running on the treadmill was giving my calf a bit of grief, so have stopped running on them now.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Dec 2015, 12:12 pm

Any parkruns lately, corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 02 Dec 2015, 2:36 pm

Stella wrote:Have you ran on the road of late, tophat? I found running on the treadmill was giving my calf a bit of grief, so have stopped running on them now.

I was told that treadmill running, being sprung surface on a mild incline (2%), was better for my recouperation as it would strain my calf less....

I went out about 2-3 weeks ago for 20 mins, felt fine, hoping this is just a hiccup!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Stella wrote:Have you ran on the road of late, tophat? I found running on the treadmill was giving my calf a bit of grief, so have stopped running on them now.

I was told that treadmill running, being sprung surface on a mild incline (2%), was better for my recouperation as it would strain my calf less....

I went out about 2-3 weeks ago for 20 mins, felt fine, hoping this is just a hiccup!!

Yeah that makes sense. Every one is different, and it might be the case that I run differently on a treadmill than I do on the road. Hopefully just a hiccup, tophat OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 02 Dec 2015, 2:41 pm

Feels ok for now. Am back at the folks this weekend, where my best running gear currently is, so might go out briefly Sunday morning whilst the missus is in the bath Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Dec 2015, 3:51 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Feels ok for now.  Am back at the folks this weekend, where my best running gear currently is, so might go out briefly Sunday morning whilst the missus is in the bath Smile

Hope it goes well.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 02 Dec 2015, 11:19 pm

Stella - I had last Saturday off as I was doing the 10k race the following day.  I'll resume parkrun this Saturday. I did a shortish training run yesterday, but was still feeling effects of the 10k, so I didn't push myself too hard.  What's your next run/race?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Dec 2015, 6:39 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Stella - I had last Saturday off as I was doing the 10k race the following day.  I'll resume parkrun this Saturday. I did a shortish training run yesterday, but was still feeling effects of the 10k, so I didn't push myself too hard.  What's your next run/race?

Corporal - I went for a 14.5 mile run last night, which was a toughie thanks to the wind in my face. I ran 13 miles just over a week ago and found that reasonably comfortable, but my legs were heavy near the end of last night's run. It took me 2hr 17 mins, so no world record, but it's the distance I'm working on.

How did the 10k race go?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Dec 2015, 9:48 am

Sounds bloody good to me, Stella!

Took me 2h11m to run 13.1 miles at the GNR!!

Got a nice/interesting email from my uncle in the States last night, saying I shouldn't get disheartened by my time but that my strategy was a shambles. I know he said take it easy at the start then kick on (I did the opposite) but when he set out our respective splits from a half marathon he did a couple of months ago (he's 61!!) it made for interesting reading:

"Look at the split times below:

David:

5k time 00:26:3110k time 00:56:29 15k time 01:28:40 Finish Time: 2:11:26

Graham:

5k time 00:27:50 10k time 00:55:21 15k time 01:20:50 Finish Time: 01:55:40

Notice the slower start and gradual build up."

So we basically had similar 5 and 10k splits but I pushed harder to hit mine so tailed off miserably, crumbling the last 5 k, whereas my uncle was consistent throughout.

I don't expect to hit his times (he may be 60 but 1h55m 1/2M and 23m 5k is leages ahead of me) but it does tempt me to go for another half and see how much I can improve based on better strategy....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Dec 2015, 9:56 am

Just re-read his email, when he was my age he set his half marathon PB - 1h18m!!! Shocked LOL

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Dec 2015, 10:11 am

In each of my last two long runs I've ran the second half quicker than the first, though I don't the 5k - 10k spilts?
I watched a video on you tube , and in it the man said to start slow,and run slower when doing a long run, therefore not losing your form in the latter stages. This advice has worked so far. In fact I ran 10k Monday morning in 54.21. The first 5k took 29m 20ish, which was maybe a little bit too slow, though I then had the energy to do a brisk run in the last 5k. Felt good!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Dec 2015, 10:15 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Just re-read his email, when he was my age he set his half marathon PB - 1h18m!!! Shocked LOL

Blimey Run
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 04 Dec 2015, 1:02 pm

Stella & TopHat - thanks both. Some very interesting information and food for thought...

You're putting together some very impressive distances, Stella.  clap clap  The 10k race was the Crowborough one I mentioned above.  The winning time (out of 300+ runners) was 35.08 and only 5 runners were below 38 minutes, which I guess is an indication that it was indeed a hilly course.

I can almost match your uncle for age, TopHat (59), but not for anything else, I fear! Fascinating - the time splits for the half marathon. Probably need a fair amount of confidence and experience to manage your time as well as that.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 05 Dec 2015, 7:39 pm

Feeling pleased with 24.55 at parkrun this morning, as I took over a minute off my 5k PB.  Very Happy  It was on the flat course at Tonbridge. All my recent runs have been on hilly courses and I think that must have helped with both speed and stamina.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sat 05 Dec 2015, 8:06 pm

Good running corporal clap

Was it windy out?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 05 Dec 2015, 9:18 pm

Stella wrote:Good running corporal clap

Was it windy out?

Thanks, Stella. Yes it was very blowy, but I reckon it probably didn't affect the times much - maybe a few seconds at most.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 05 Dec 2015, 9:30 pm

Stella wrote: In fact I ran 10k Monday morning in 54.21. The first 5k took 29m 20ish, which was maybe a little bit too slow, though I then had the energy to do a brisk run in the last 5k. Felt good!

So that's about 25.00 for the second 5k, Stella. That's an excellent time.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sat 05 Dec 2015, 9:34 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Stella wrote: In fact I ran 10k Monday morning in 54.21. The first 5k took 29m 20ish, which was maybe a little bit too slow, though I then had the energy to do a brisk run in the last 5k. Felt good!

So that's about 25.00 for the second 5k, Stella. That's an excellent time.

Cheers, though the route I took was slightly up hill on the way out, and obviously down hill on the way back. I don't know about you but it takes me about a mile to get my breathing right.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:07 am

Great work all round guys!

Gym tomorrow am for me, first test back on the treadmill since last Tues, crossing my fingers....

Really want to get back out on the road, when the wind drops the weather is lovely for it at the moment.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:23 am

I went out this morning for a quick 3 and a half miler. The wind had dropped a little, thankfully.

Good luck at the gym, tophat.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Dec 2015, 10:46 pm

Stella wrote: I don't know about you but it takes me about a mile to get my breathing right.

Yes, I'm with you on that Stella - I usually find the first five plus minutes of a run are the most uncomfortable. Sometimes the breathing is a bit of a struggle, or the arms not in synch with legs.  I think it's probably fairly normal as the body takes a bit of time to adapt to what you're asking it to do.  I've found it's somewhat less of a problem before a race or parkrun where I've done proper warming up and a bit of gentle jogging for a few hundred metres.

I did a 7.5 mile training run today, which took just over 72 minutes.  The route crossed quite a lot of roads and I found it hard to get much rhythm going. It feels like there is a big difference between stamina needed for 10k and 10miles.   Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 5 1054138444

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 08 Dec 2015, 9:00 am

Stella wrote: I don't know about you but it takes me about a mile to get my breathing right.

Yes, I'm with you on that Stella - I usually find the first five plus minutes of a run are the most uncomfortable. Sometimes the breathing is a bit of a struggle, or the arms not in synch with legs.  I think it's probably fairly normal as the body takes a bit of time to adapt to what you're asking it to do.  I've found it's somewhat less of a problem before a race or parkrun where I've done proper warming up and a bit of gentle jogging for a few hundred metres.

I did a 7.5 mile training run today, which took just over 72 minutes.  The route crossed quite a lot of roads and I found it hard to get much rhythm going. It feels like there is a big difference between stamina needed for 10k and 10miles.   Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 5 1054138444

Waiting for traffic is a pain in the backside. Increasing your mileage by a mile each run, will see you breeze it, corporal.

Yes, doing a proper warm up is almost compulsory.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 08 Dec 2015, 9:16 am

Yeh, traffic is a bugger.

Tended to only run in the park, so could keep doing laps unbroken, until I started training for the GNR then I would run into work and have to negotiate all kinds of road crossings and junctions. The worst was always the bottom of Regent's Park outer circle, crossing the A501 Marylebone Road, as you could wait 2 minutes or more for the lights to change sometimes. Not bad when I'm cycling but a horrendous break in rhythm when running.

Such a major road that there's no way to time it or try negotiate your way across - it's weighting for the lights or nothing. Ended up having to turn and run half way up the road and back to fill time as I hate jogging on the spot.

You're doing really good times, Corporal, you'll nudge up to 10 miles fine. Sounds counter-intuitive maybe, but try some sprint training (or any other HIIT) and you may find the stamina improvements will help propel you to 10 miles.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 08 Dec 2015, 12:40 pm

Thanks Stella and TopHat for that encouragement! I think I'll try to make sure that my 8/9 mile training runs don't involve crossing busy road, so I can concentrate more on steady, rhythmic running.

I agree with you TopHat about the speed training being beneficial, including for long runs. My weekly regime at the moment is one 5k parkrun, which I treat as a race against myself, one longer, slower run to build up stamina and one other run, maybe about 5k, where I include some faster sections to really push myself.  I think they probably count as fartleks, in the jargon.  I haven't the patience or inclination to do exact measurement of fast/slow sections of the run, but I am feeling the benefits - particularly as I deliberately try to push myself running up the hill section of my local running round the block.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 12 Dec 2015, 9:05 pm

26.11 at parkrun this morning - pleased with that considering the energy sapping ground conditions.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 13 Dec 2015, 5:46 pm

bit muddy, corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:33 pm

Stella wrote:bit muddy, corporal?
 Indeed, Stella!  (The Run Director reckoned course was at its most difficult since parkrun started at Tunbridge Wells).  Only about a third of the route is away from firm hard surface paths. But there are some real quagmire sections. Probably good training for stamina - but not so good for PBs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:37 pm

Stella wrote:bit muddy, corporal?
 Indeed, Stella!  (The Run Director reckoned course was at its most difficult since parkrun started at Tunbridge Wells).  Only about a third of the route is away from firm hard surface paths. But there are some real quagmire sections.  Probably good training for stamina - but not so good for PBs.

Not for me, I do prefer the concrete!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 14 Dec 2015, 7:46 pm

Ran just over 10 miles this afternoon (1 hour, 34 minutes). Pleased to reach race distance about two weeks before the event itself.  It was three times there and back along a rural private road without much traffic and a low speed limit, so it was much easier to get into a rhythmn without having to worry about crossing road junctions, fast cars etc.  Included a very modest hill (6 times!). Tried experiment of snaffling a few saltanas at various points en route to maintain energy levels.  I managed to chew them OK while running.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:21 pm

Good going corporal, and well done on finding a traffic free course!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 Dec 2015, 12:17 pm

First road run last night in absolutely ages. A slowish (6m/km) pace in the pouring rain but thoroughly enjoyed it and came through 4.5km comfortably and without issue/flare ups.

Onwards and upwars......!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Dec 2015, 12:22 pm

Good stuff, belt it felt great!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 16 Dec 2015, 4:04 pm

Well done, TopHat. Take it nice a steady for a fair while... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 19 Dec 2015, 4:20 pm

25.59 at my local parkrun this morning. My PB by one second on this course - despite the quagmires. Plaudits tho should go to the 26.00 pacer who hit his target to the exact second.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 20 Dec 2015, 6:20 am

More mud? Is it your 10 mile race next weekend?

I went for a 7 miler this morning. Took me an hour give or take a few seconds. Lovely conditions, and of course very little traffic.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 20 Dec 2015, 5:44 pm

Good solid run, Stella - sounds like you were up rather early.

Yes, my 10 miler is next Sunday, on roads. That will be a pleasant change - parts of local parkrun are likely to remain a quagmire until some point next Spring. Probably only about 300+ metres on each of the two laps is really bad. But at least three runners lost a shoe yesterday and it was incredibly slippery in places, even with trail shoes.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 20 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm

Always up early corporal. Best time of the day.

I take it you won't be doing a parkrun on Saturday?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum