The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

+45
fa0019
wrfc1980
Heaf
nathan
brennomac
yappysnap
SecretFly
LordDowlais
TJ
mikey_dragon
majesticimperialman
Majestic83
Cyril
screamingaddabs
RubyGuby
eirebilly
Gooseberry
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
Gwlad
GavinDragon
lostinwales
Poorfour
Jimpy
No 7&1/2
munkian
Fanster
blackcanelion
LondonTiger
englandglory4ever
Biltong
Luckless Pedestrian
rodders
beshocked
donglewood
No9
Exiledinborders
BamBam
Scottrf
TightHEAD
rainbow-warrior
Wi11
Icu
George Carlin
Pot Hale
49 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Empty RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

Post by Pot Hale Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:44 am

First topic message reminder :

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Autral10 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Englan11 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Fiji10 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Urugua10 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Wales10
The pool with the highest rankers and most arguments.

Teams

Australia (2) [9/1]
England (4) [5/1]
Wales (5) [25/1]
Fiji (9) [1500/1]
Uruguay (19) [10,000/1]

Fixtures

18 Sep England v Fiji
20 Sep Wales v Uruguay
23 Sep Australia v Fiji
26 Sep England v Wales
27 Sep Australia v Uruguay
1 Oct Wales v Fiji
3 Oct England v Australia
6 Oct Fiji v Uruguay
10 Oct Australia v Wales
10 Oct England v Uruguay

Wales suffering two key player losses - will they try even harder?    Will they now have to score more/some tries?
England are now the second coming or coming second - depending on your point of view.
Australia have a scrum - apparently - so all is well with the world.

This pool could see one loss each for the three top teams - or is that four?   Fiji, currently ranked ninth in the world, might determine who emerges from this pool, including themselves.

The Aussies are on the up.  So are England sitting as the highest ranked NH team for the start of the tournament.

Wales will beg to differ with Gatland leading the mind games into the first of the pool matches.

It's too close to call, so everybody else can have their say instead.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 12:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Empty Re: RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 17 Sep 2015, 10:59 am

Well the pressure point may change tomorrow depending on result and performance.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 3 Empty Re: RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

Post by Cyril Thu 17 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

England have the pressure as hosts and the advantage of playing at home.

Wales have the pressure of having to beat at least of the top seeds in their pool, something they haven't done for a while (and play those games away or on neutral territory.

Aus have improved their forwards and set piece, England have improved their backs play. I don't see any real change from Wales (I was surprised how easily England dealt with them in Cardiff earlier in the year). With Halpenny's long-distance kicks not an option that will possibly put pressure on them to open up and play more. Better for the neutral. Probably not better for Wales at this stage.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 17 Sep 2015, 5:44 pm

Jimpy wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:There is pressure on England of that there is no doubt, they are at home, it is their WC etc etc but playing that pressure down is part n parcel of it all.

I think that pressure will materialise in the first half against Fiji but they should still come through it comfortably by the end.

Let's say they don't get out pf group then there will be a lot of negative press on the coaches, if they do get out of the group then the pressure will build as they progress.

I'd suggest the pressure is more on Wales and Australia to outplay the hosts in that group.

And i'd suggest the pressure is on the home nation to even get out of the group. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 18 Sep 2015, 9:35 am

Surely there is pressure on every team in the world cup (from different sources)? In any case, pressure causes different reactions in some individuals and/or teams than others.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 18 Sep 2015, 10:47 am

Wales are on a tightrope. Whoever steps up to take that first missed penalty kick for Wales will have fans and players saying and thinking 'if only Halfpenny was here. He'd have got that one'. Their heads will drop like a stone and they'll turn to canon fodder. Game over for them.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 18 Sep 2015, 10:53 am

Come on FIJI do the job, lets see the wheels come off the chariot at the beginning of the tournament, oh what joy.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 18 Sep 2015, 11:13 am

I think this is going to be an extremely tight group and could be a four horse race. I think potentially Aus, Eng, Wales and Fiji could all take points from each other in the group and it could come down to points difference.
Potentially I could see Fiji beating Wales, Wales beating England, England beating Australia and then Australia beating Wales.
Very tight group to call but one that should throw up lots of very good rugby.
I think Australia and England will just sneak it but I think Fiji will have a big say in the outcome.
Fiji's backs are world class but they do have some very good forwards these days despite not being as big names.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 18 Sep 2015, 11:22 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Wales are on a tightrope. Whoever steps up to take that first missed penalty kick for Wales will have fans and players saying and thinking 'if only Halfpenny was here. He'd have got that one'. Their heads will drop like a stone and they'll turn to canon fodder. Game over for them.

And those fans will prove that they know diddly squat. After all it was Halfpenny that missed the kick in the last semi final.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 18 Sep 2015, 11:42 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:Wales are on a tightrope. Whoever steps up to take that first missed penalty kick for Wales will have fans and players saying and thinking 'if only Halfpenny was here. He'd have got that one'. Their heads will drop like a stone and they'll turn to canon fodder. Game over for them.

And those fans will prove that they know diddly squat. After all it was Halfpenny that missed the kick in the last semi final.
Yahoo

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 18 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm

rainbow-warrior wrote:Come on FIJI do the job, lets see the wheels come off the chariot at the beginning of the tournament, oh what joy.

Except history shows us that losing to Fiji is only really likely to happen to Wales. So instead of being a Tinkywinky and an oxygen thief, I'd wait till that match has been played before I started gobbing off if I were you.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 18 Sep 2015, 11:43 pm

rainbow-warrior wrote:Come on FIJI do the job, lets see the wheels come off the chariot at the beginning of the tournament, oh what joy.

No joy there then. Magic.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:51 am

How do Wales fans feel about England and Fijis' performances last night? As a neutral I'm going to enjoy this group enormously.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm

I think Wales could be a real banana skin for Fiji. I'm sure they won't underestimate them though.

Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 19 Sep 2015, 2:55 pm

Jimpy wrote:

Except history shows us that losing to Fiji is only really likely to happen to Wales. So instead of being a Tinkywinky and an oxygen thief, I'd wait till that match has been played before I started gobbing off if I were

you.

Well you still a few places down the food chain then hahaha yeah brilliant display from the chariot boys. Personally I'd go for a MOT hahaha
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 19 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm

Cyril wrote:I think Wales could be a real banana skin for Fiji. I'm sure they won't underestimate them though.

Wink

After that display you have had the custard tart in the face already. england world cup winners 2015 hope the Tee shirts have not been made hahaha
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:07 pm

Was it FIJI THAT KNOCKED Wales out of RWC 2007?

I would not get too cocky if i was a Welsh fan. Fiji may be a different team in 3 weeks time than there was on Friday against England.

Let see how Wales do against Uraguy on Sunday.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:12 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Was it FIJI THAT KNOCKED Wales out of RWC 2007?

I would not get too cocky if i was a Welsh fan. Fiji may be a different team in 3 weeks time than there was on Friday against England.

I think you'll find that Wales are always wary of Fiji, given our history. It was England, numerous fans and the English media that were talking the game up as a walk in the park for England. I think it was clear that England underestimated how tough Fiji would be. But as I said elsewhere, well done England - 5 points is exactly the sort of start you want.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:14 pm

Wales knocked England out of the 1987 RWC - that's as relevant as Fiji in 2007, whom we also later knocked out in 2011.......

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

Griff.

With regard to England taking Fiji lightly you could be the wright. But i don't think any team can afford too take any lightly is the RWC.

If Fiji had a better goal kicker yesterday the score would of been a lott closure than it was.

My understanding is that Fiji will have better players to come in when they play Wales.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

I hope that last line isn't true maj, because Fiji are good enough as it is!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:00 pm

Where's rainbowwarrior? Still eating humble pie I guess.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:56 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I hope that last line isn't true maj, because Fiji are good enough as it is!

Just wrote on another thread. with Japan beating SA today, will Wales be going for the bonus point/s or just the win> plus how crucial will the bonus point be in this Rugby World CUP?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:22 am

Cyril wrote:I think Wales could be a real banana skin for Fiji. I'm sure they won't underestimate them though.

Wink

True. Fiji won't be robbed by Peyper again either.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:25 am

What was the score in the 2011 RWC, Wales v Fiji? You let yourself down so often mate.

Uruguay, by the way OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Sep 2015, 12:28 am

Maybe I NEED to WRITE it in random CAPITAL letters actually. Sorry MADGE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 21 Sep 2015, 7:53 am

Griff wrote:

I think you'll find that Wales are always wary of Fiji, given our history. It was England, numerous fans and the English media that were talking the game up as a walk in the park for England. I think it was clear that England underestimated how tough Fiji would be. But as I said elsewhere, well done England - 5 points is exactly the sort of start you want.

Actually, the England team did nothing of the sort, and Stuart Lancaster said on numerous occasions prior to the game how seriously they were taking their opposition. But lets not let fact get in the way of a load of bollix.

The media didn't even really talk England up, although they were less than shrinking - but it is to be expected from them of course.

Last edited by Jimpy on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 21 Sep 2015, 7:53 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Except history shows us that losing to Fiji is only really likely to happen to Wales. So instead of being a Tinkywinky and an oxygen thief, I'd wait till that match has been played before I started gobbing off if I were

you.

Well you still a few places down the food chain then hahaha  yeah brilliant display from the chariot boys.  Personally I'd go for a MOT hahaha

Was your mother a weightlifter?

She must have been to raise a dumb bell like you.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:33 am

Jimpy wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

you.

Well you still a few places down the food chain then hahaha  yeah brilliant display from the chariot boys.  Personally I'd go for a MOT hahaha

Was your mother a weightlifter?

She must have been to raise a dumb bell like you.

Aw bless, see what he did there Smile
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:38 am

I see this thread went the way of smart considered points made rationally...

I think England were pretty professional Friay night, Fiji made too many mistakes to seriously win the game, similar to the Welsh performance yesterday.

Both teams were pretty relaxed under pressure, confident of their ability and systematic.

There is one point I wanted to raise, and hopefully not get slated too much for it, Peyper!

From the very first minute it was clear England were given an easier ride ref wise than Fiji were going to get, the crowd played way too much a part in decision making for my liking, especially with the try that was knocked on.

There were also some incidents dureing the NZ Argentina game where the crowd and Mccaw himself seemed to be reffing the game, pressure can do things to people, and referee's are certainly feeling the heat more than most in round 1.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:42 am

Peyper was a bit nervy, a couple of decisions probably could have gone Englands way at the scrum and the grab round the neck by Wood should have gone back to the first English pen. It's the first game at the WC for everyone remember.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:46 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Peyper was a bit nervy, a couple of decisions probably could have gone Englands way at the scrum and the grab round the neck by Wood should have gone back to the first English pen. It's the first game at the WC for everyone remember.

I agree, but nerves are easier to deal with when the crowd is appeased, and the home nation getting the rub of the green.

In all my years of watching rugby I have never seen a booing crowd change a referee's mind before, it sets a dangerous precident! Especially as players are trying to con the ref more often than ever before, Mccaw might as well have had the ref on a puppetier string yesterday.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 8:48 am

I'd disagree there, thought Barnes reffed excellently and had great use of the TMO as well which is where a few refs fell short. That's where Peyper failed in my view, mistakes will be made but he wasn't on top of the video options and allowed too much time for easy decisions.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:05 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'd disagree there, thought Barnes reffed excellently and had great use of the TMO as well which is where a few refs fell short. That's where Peyper failed in my view, mistakes will be made but he wasn't on top of the video options and allowed too much time for easy decisions.

Barnes had an excellent game, as did Nigel Owens on Saturday. Both were consistent and made good use of the TMO. Also, Barnes and Owens talked to the players, something Peyper didn't do well. Peyper was overly reliant on the TMO and was inconsistent.

Barnes wasn't influenced by the crowd (he rarely, if at all is), he used his linesmen well and McCaw deservedly went to the bin for cheating (its about time).

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:35 am

I was dissapointed in Barnes, I've spent the weekend talking him up and explaining his performances have been on an upward curve for the last 18 months, then he allows a NZ team carte blanche at the breakdown.

Just before Mccaws trip, while defending inches from his own line he kills an Argentina attack by diving through the side of the ruck and dropping a player in the process of picking the ball up...

While we are on the subject, constantly hearing the comentators talk about the Argentinians (Lock?) head injury as if he threw himself at Dan Carters foot and Dan Carter being a victim in what was a reckless stab of the foot at the ball and player in a try scoring motion... well, it was beyond laughable!

I don't even want to mention Jonny May jumping into tackles!

There were a fair amount of 'oh no I couldn't dare be responsible for crowd favourite being turned over' attitudes.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:39 am

Don't think May's jump was dangerous myself, I agree with rodders on the other thread Peyper should have checked the 3rd try for May being tackles though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:44 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Don't think May's jump was dangerous myself, I agree with rodders on the other thread Peyper should have checked the 3rd try for May being tackles though.

It wasn't dangerous, but it's definately illegal, and therefore should've been penalised.

I was jumping into a taxi on 80 minutes, and the second I got in I asked the driver to put the game on the radio, he said it already was and by the sounds of it Peyper would play to 100 mins + until England scored...

It's hard to argue with views like that when Peyper may well have!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:44 am

How was it illegal if it wasn't dangerous?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:46 am

Agree with no 7 & 1/2. Barnes was so much better than Peyper.

Barnes allowed the game to flow more. Peyper looked like a ref low on confidence - constantly using the TMO because he was frightened of getting it wrong. Fair enough to some extent but it slowed the game down too much. Barnes confidently flashed the YCs. Didn't care that it was the likes of Mccaw and Conrad Smith. I think that's why the NZ's don't like Barnes. Barnes is not in awe of Mccaw.

Barnes isn't everyone's cup of tea but to card the deity takes some balls!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:49 am

Yeah I think as there is no specific law for jumping into tackles, if it's not dangerous, it's not illegal.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:55 am

beshocked wrote:Agree with no 7 & 1/2. Barnes was so much better than Peyper.

Barnes allowed the game to flow more. Peyper looked like a ref low on confidence - constantly using the TMO because he was frightened of getting it wrong. Fair enough to some extent but it slowed the game down too much. Barnes confidently flashed the YCs. Didn't care that it was the likes of Mccaw and Conrad Smith. I think that's why the NZ's don't like Barnes. Barnes is not in awe of Mccaw.

Evidently, the Irish don't like him either. Funny as Ireland like to try and play a very similar game to NZ, in other words, cheat at the breakdown and hope to get away with it. The problem is that with Barnes, neither team are allowed to cheat, Barnes is consistent.

And to card McCaw doesn't take balls. It takes a good referee and a good linesman. You're suggesting that officials don't penalise McCaw because of who he is. That isn't true. McCaw is good at what he does and more often that not gets away with it. When a half decent referee smells a rat, McCaw gets pinged. Generally, the weakness lies in the officiating.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:01 am

Jimpy agree with most of that though I think carding Mccaw does take some balls as it was only his 3rd YC.

I am suggesting officials don't penalise Mccaw because he's good at getting away with it. The best in the world at the dark arts of the breakdown. Barnes carded him which as I said is very rare.

I agree officiating isn't great but rugby union is a complicated game and in quite a few circumstances is open to interpretation.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

Jimpy wrote:

Evidently, the Irish don't like him either. Funny as Ireland like to try and play a very similar game to NZ, in other words, cheat at the breakdown and hope to get away with it. The problem is that with Barnes, neither team are allowed to cheat, Barnes is consistent.

No we don't like Barnes because he is clearly bias against Irish sides.

He did a reasonably even handed job at the weekend because he clearly dislikes NZ and Argentina equally, which is understandable being an Englishman - he started out pinging Argentina for everything then maybe clicked that making the Kiwis lives difficult might be in England's interest too - I bet he spent quite a bit of time procrastinating on who he'd favor on this one....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:10 am

Wait so you both think every law is for safety reasons?

And you honestly consider putting your knees and feet up to the tacklers head height with the velocity at which international standard players make contact with each other isn't dangerous?

Come on.... as die hard as you gys are you cannot argue anything other than a minimum penalty.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Fanster wrote:Wait so you both think every law is for safety reasons?

And you honestly consider putting your knees and feet up to the tacklers head height with the velocity at which international standard players make contact with each other isn't dangerous?

Come on.... as die hard as you gys are you cannot argue anything other than a minimum penalty.

Fanster, it's not just me who thinks it wasn't dangerous.

What law did he break?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Fanster wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Don't think May's jump was dangerous myself, I agree with rodders on the other thread Peyper should have checked the 3rd try for May being tackles though.

It wasn't dangerous, but it's definately illegal, and therefore should've been penalised.

I was jumping into a taxi on 80 minutes, and the second I got in I asked the driver to put the game on the radio, he said it already was and by the sounds of it Peyper would play to 100 mins + until England scored...

It's hard to argue with views like that when Peyper may well have!

See, even you think it wasn't dangerous.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:14 am

No, some offenses have specific laws. You claimed an offense which is penalized for safety reasons was illegal but not dangerous.

Now you're making out that we are biased for saying it wasn't dangerous when you said yourself it wasn't dangerous?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

rodders wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

He did a reasonably even handed job at the weekend because he clearly dislikes NZ and Argentina equally, which is understandable being an Englishman - he started out pinging Argentina for everything then maybe clicked that making the Kiwis lives difficult might be in England's interest too - I bet he spent quite a bit of time procrastinating on who he'd favor on this one....

picard

You've redefined Xenophobia.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 10:24 am

Jimpy wrote:
rodders wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

picard

You've redefined Xenophobia.

I'll say another thing - its a disgrace that Barnes reffed the game in English - when clearly the Pumas where struggling with some of his instructions in the first half - if France can get a bilingual ref why not other sides? Shocking.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:33 pm

Don't worry to much about what Rodders says boys. He's still obviously in a lot of pain over England thrashing Ireland and making them look well, outclassed. Wumming is all he has at the moment. He'll get over it in time.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:40 pm

You mean that 8-point thrashing a few weeks ago? Ruthless! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next