The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ????

+18
Seanusarrilius
Dipper Brown
Guest82
Pound-for-Pound
Rodney
RanjitPatel
bellchees
Lance
Atila
Nico the gman
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
Coxy001
AdamT
Rowley
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ???? - Page 2 Empty Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've only seen highlights of Groves-Jack........But he seems to be more ponderous and has seemingly lost some speed.......He's also 2-3 ....

I think he's showing signs of sliding.........All his fights post Froch he's looked a different fighter and I'd pick Callum Smith and Degale to beat him....Degale probably inside the distance...

Is there still great interest for this ??................They were talking Wembley....Is it a stadium fight ???

I'm afraid this fight doesn't really get my blood up.............Not like Brook v Khan....

Did Groves lose more than a fight ??.......Or are you still salivating for this one ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ????

Post by Guest82 Thu 17 Sep 2015, 12:03 pm

It was a close fight which could have gone either way. I didn't score it round-by-round but certainly would have had it close.

I don't really think Degale is all that good either. They both gas, but Groves throws more punches. Degale is the better boxer. Groves has more power.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Degale v Groves still a stadium fight ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Sep 2015, 12:36 pm

I see it that Degale has improved and Groves has gone backwards...........Also aged slightly by being stopped and flattened...

Now If like me you thought Groves fought the perfect fight and still had it a draw..

Then it's Degale for me....comfortably.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 17 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Groves needs to get off the 'everybody is against me' 'I am the away fighter' attitude. Even if it is correct. He also needs to stop tying to dissect the mentality of his opponents before fights. It's the same stuff he ran away with doing in Froch 2 and that ended well for him. Focus on your talent. Focus on what you do wrong and how to improve. Get a better trainer. PAddy has had five fights and Groves looks worse each time.

I agree totally, Groves says he won the Jack fight 'decisively'. He seems to be in denial about certain things in his career. Because he wound Froch up so much before the first fight and it seemed to work, he tries it with everyone. He needs to realise it only works with some people because of their personality.

He also needs to stop blaming everyone else and sought the defensive flaws in his gam(in particular the low left hand). If he does this I think he could have one more shot. He needs a new trainer also. Paddy is a nice guy but just not up to it.

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 18 Sep 2015, 10:11 am

Big boxing fan but these two have never been a massive interest to me if I'm honest,individually or their borefest rivalry.
Groves got flattened by Froch TWICE, who in turn got shut out by the Number 1 SMW. And DeGale edged a decision against a bloke ranked about 5 in the division.
These pair fighting does zero for the dynamics of the division and their rivalry is laughable as I feel they are trying to build it up to a Benn Eubank type affair.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 18 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

aja424 wrote:Big boxing fan but these two have never been a massive interest to me if I'm honest,individually or their borefest rivalry.
Groves got flattened by Froch TWICE, who in turn got shut out by the Number 1 SMW. And DeGale edged a decision against a bloke ranked about 5 in the division.
These pair fighting does zero for the dynamics of the division and their rivalry is laughable as I feel they are trying to build it up to a Benn Eubank type affair.

Classic revisionism. Groves beat the spit out of Froch in that first fight. Surely he's have to be on the floor at some point to be 'flattened'?

Not wanting to go over old ground again. But you're wrong and you know it.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Sep 2015, 11:33 am

... Certainly it's a harsh assessment. Not sure Benn Eubank were ever proven top dogs in their division... Jones/Toney.. 

Andre Dirrell was a very good win for degale... Many think he beat froch.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 18 Sep 2015, 5:05 pm

milkyboy wrote:... Certainly it's a harsh assessment. Not sure Benn Eubank were ever proven top dogs in their division... Jones/Toney.. 

Andre Dirrell was a very good win for degale... Many think he beat froch.
The Dirrell who fought Froch in 2009 was a better fighter than the one Degale faced this year.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

The reports on social media are suggesting Groves and Paddy have parted company, no word on his replacement I don't think (I could not be bothered to read the full article.)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

Poor old Paddy.......Always the helpers that get the blame and never the fighter...

I thought Groves was convinced he won ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:40 pm

Same in every sport Truss, don't see too many footballers get the sack when results are terrible.

Will be interesting to see who he goes for now. Don't see him as being the kind to be humble enough to go back to Booth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

Probably the best thing really.

He's stagnated and probably gone backwards since leaving Booth.
In the build up to the first Froch fight Groves made it clear he was going in with the Booth game plan and Fitzpatrick was just getting him in shape.

I think he should take a big slice of humble pie and go back to Booth.

Booth has a habit of working with punchers and Groves hasn't looked so heavy handed lately with whatever they've been doing.

Agree with Rowley though, too much ego.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:52 pm

Disagree I think trainers are overrated....Is Enzo Calzaghe a great trainer ??....Probably not...Yet his boy is the best fighter to come out of Britain in 30 yrs....

Top fighters see openings and work fighters out....It's what makes them top fighters....

Groves isn't that good..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 21 Sep 2015, 5:00 pm

Raw ability is a key factor Truss but some trainers suit certain fighters and can bring their best attributes to the fore.

Success attracts fighters that much is true and some gyms have so many through the door that finding some champions is inevitable.

Joe Gallagher must be doing something right for instance.
Booth only chooses to work with a small number of fighters, all of whom are punchers and his training regiment brings the best out of them.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

It's good rebuttal.....However I feel that top fighters will be top fighters whoever trains them....

Hatton - Graham etc.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 21 Sep 2015, 6:42 pm

I think there's an element of truth in that.

Not sure Hatton is a brilliant example though, when he was with Graham the focus was work rate and body punching... The two things that made Hatton the force he was.

Calzaghe is a decent example, no evidence that Enzo really pushed Joe to the limits of his ability.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 21 Sep 2015, 6:49 pm

Calzaghe is a poor example really Truss, like Jones he had awesome natural talent so didn't rely too much on his trainer and was one of the finest at adjusting on his own accord mid fight (Kessler being a prime example). Groves has natural talent but he doesn't have Calzaghe's ability to adjust so needs a trainer like Booth to guide him through fights and to set up the initial gameplan, he's also a bit hot headed at times.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 21 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

Another great example must be Wlad.

All the natural attributes but needed Manny Steward to set him up for long term success.
Manny did the same for Lewis too... Took him to the next level and turned him into a genuine great.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2