The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSA vs Japan

+60
damage_13
Rugby Fan
FerN
MarcusHalberstram
Hood83
Galted
sirtidychris
emack2
LuvSports!
Breadvan
sportform
Cyril
InjuredYetAgain
GavinDragon
Blueschief
fa0019
offload
flyhalffactory
FecklessRogue
lostinwales
milkyboy
ChequeredJersey
BigGee
Bathman_in_London
Hammersmith harrier
Eejit
WELL-PAST-IT
Marshes
profitius
VinceWLB
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
HammerofThunor
bsando
asoreleftshoulder
rainbow-warrior
LeinsterFan4life
justified sinner
tigertattie
Duty281
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Artful_Dodger
maestegmafia
Lowlandbrit
alive555
quinsforever
TightHEAD
whocares
kingraf
majesticimperialman
Golden
GLove39
wales606
eirebilly
Geordie
BamBam
Notch
yappysnap
mikey_dragon
64 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RSA vs Japan - Page 4 Empty RSA vs Japan

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There's no thread for this one - I think SA so far look less than impressive. They're trying to play at a high tempo but making mistakes, whilst the Japanese are also playing at that tempo and looking promising. They're certainly hitting hard in the tackle.

RSA should eventually win at a canter, but I wonder what will be said in the aftermath. Please use this thread to discuss that.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

RSA vs Japan - Page 4 Empty Re: RSA vs Japan

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:06 pm

Oh my god "We're Doomed"....
Was so looking forward to us playing a nice warm up again the Cherry Blossoms. Now I am pretty damn cacking myself.

So chuffed I watched this fantastic performance from the start. The RWC is fecking alive n kicking
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:06 pm

The commentators mentioned during the First half that Eddie Jones went to Bayern Munich to get advice from Pep Guardiola. Basically played tika taka with rugby ball today. Kept possession. Decided against kicking it away. Their try to get to 29-29 was basically a Barcelona drill with a rugby ball.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:07 pm

Irish TV showing highlights of the Ireland game- feck that, I want to see more of the Japan game back!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:07 pm

All youth coaches out there please get a copy of that tape and teach kids to play like that. speed, passion and pure determination.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:08 pm

A very special day. South Africans will be gutted, but this was a match for the history books and excellent for the game. Congratulations Japan.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:09 pm

Oh my god "We're Doomed"....
Was so looking forward to us playing a nice warm up again the Cherry Blossoms. Now I am pretty damn cacking myself.

So chuffed I watched this fantastic performance from the start. The RWC is fecking alive n kicking
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:12 pm

oRgASm

https://vine.co/v/eULbEQYKBPg

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:15 pm

To think certain people thought Jesse Kriel was a better 13 than Mapoe
#Lolz
#MegaLolz
#NoReallyItsLikeYouDidntWatchS15
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:32 pm

bit quiet in my household at the moment.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm

Wow, the Boks got Ninja'd, who'd have thought it? Sensational game!

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

よくやった

What a game

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm

you have to give absolute credit to Japan. Delivered a near perfect game. Don't think they made any unforced errors, very few handling errors, kept the ball, matched the Boks physicality and neutralised their scrum with channel one ball. That was a victory built on perfect basics and very intelligent strategies. Chapeau!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:52 pm

I'm just thinking back to the last World Cup when France lost to Tonga, and still reached the Final. South Africa will be under such pressure but there is going to be a big reaction.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 7:57 pm

True Notch was just saying on another post here that the boks are far from a bad side. They were leading the ABs until the 65th min 2 months ago, lost on the last play to AUS in AUS too.

But the age of the side is ridiculous. 10 players over 30 in the starting XV. The other 5... Du Toit, De Jager, Lambie, Kriel... all under 24. With Mvovo 29... old for a winger.

It looks like teams know how to play them. Been saying it for years that the way to play the boks is high intensity, fitness based rugby. NZ have been saying the same.. Old and heavy is not a good combination.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:07 pm

It's no coincidence, though Fa. We faded towards the end against New Zealand at Ellis Park last year (would have lost but for a bit of kiwi stupidity). Faded in Australia as well, when Morne forgot how to kick. This year we faded against both Australia and New Zealand. And now, a mostly semi pro Japanese side basically beat us 12-3 in the last 15-20 minutes. We can be run off our feet. Of teams keep it close, they know they can catch us fading
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

The prize for "the biggest nadgers in the world cup" has already been won by Japan. What guts and faith in your own abilities. Is there a single 6N team (or anywhere else for that matter) that would have scrummed that last penalty?
As a Scot, I am now pooping myself. I did, arrogantly in hindsight, think that a run-out against Japan would blow the cobwebs off the front-line players but give the entire bench at least half an hour to finish the job off.
Can SA lift themselves for the rest of the games?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

Fantastic game Smile Outside of a few England games I think that's the most I've enjoyed a match ever.

I was watching the game over at my parents' house with my dad (who isn't really a rugby fan) and when Japan scored the final try he shouted so loud he frightened my mum!

Japan were brilliant. Eddie Jones has got them so well drilled while still maintaining the flair. Error-free, uninhibited rugby with the right balance of patience and dynamism. Taking on the SA scrum at the death when they had a penalty for the draw available is one of the most gutsy decisions in world rugby. The way they just kept coming back and weren't fazed by the 2nd half SA scores was remarkable.

Mauling SA back over their line for the try will be one of the iconic moments of this World Cup.

Here's hoping they can continue the momentum.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:24 pm

Great win. Japan started so well but I thought South Africa would overpower them in the later stages. Great to see Japan's tempo last throughout the game. They were very much like the Japanese football team in the World Cup, good tempo, good technique.

I said yesterday, I would like to see some shocks. Just hope Japan can make it through to the quarter finals. Would be great for them ahead of the 2019 World Cup in Japan. These wins for Georgia and Japan are good for the tournament.

I just hope these teams can get more teams against the established top ten between World Cups.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

Not too much momentum please, have a thought for the underdogs next match!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:25 pm

Outrageous game by Japan. Took it to SA all game, brilliant determination and never give up attitude .Hard lines biltong, fa, kingraf but the try at the end and the celebrations of the players, staff, crowd, stewards was excellent.
Special mention to Steve borthwick as Japan's forwards coach..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

Notch wrote:I'm just thinking back to the last World Cup when France lost to Tonga, and still reached the Final. South Africa will be under such pressure but there is going to be a big reaction.
That's why I don't like bonus points. Without bonus points and on head-to-head records, Tonga would have made the quarter finals in 2011.

Just look at today's game. Japan put in a fantastic effort to win but are only two points ahead of South Africa. What nonsense. Any win should be a four point advantage over your opponents in the actual table.

Last edited by sportform on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm

sportform wrote: I just hope these teams can get more teams against the established top ten between World Cups.

Great point, sf. Unfortunately, though, rugby can have a tendency to laud the upstarts who provide a shock but then neglect them between WCs. Georgia could have been pushed on but they didn't get the quality of fixtures to allow them to do this.
Sadly this comes from self-interest from, doubly-sadly, the likes of Scotland as the last thing the SRU need is another team that could elbow in on our 3rd tier raking!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm

I have just seen a stat on the BBC pages; this is Japan's first WC win in 18 games dating back to 1991!!!!!! Normally team break a bad run of defeats when they play us

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm

Cyril wrote:Fantastic game Smile Outside of a few England games I think that's the most I've enjoyed a match ever.

I was watching the game over at my parents' house with my dad (who isn't really a rugby fan) and when Japan scored the final try he shouted so loud he frightened my mum!

Japan were brilliant. Eddie Jones has got them so well drilled while still maintaining the flair. Error-free, uninhibited rugby with the right balance of patience and dynamism. Taking on the SA scrum at the death when they had a penalty for the draw available is one of the most gutsy decisions in world rugby. The way they just kept coming back and weren't fazed by the 2nd half SA scores was remarkable.

Mauling SA back over their line for the try will be one of the iconic moments of this World Cup.

I think Japan were superb, but I'm convinced that they went for the scrum because they thought it was more likely to come off than a difficult kick with a kicker who isn't a Halfpenny
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Cyril wrote:Fantastic game Smile Outside of a few England games I think that's the most I've enjoyed a match ever.

I think Japan were superb, but I'm convinced that they went for the scrum because they thought it was more likely to come off than a difficult kick with a kicker who isn't a Halfpenny
You could be right (though the kicker was good). Who would have ever thought that Japan taking the scrum against SA would be the 'safer' option!?

One thing about Japan's scrum. Even during the game when SA had a shove on Japan just got it in, hooked it properly, and got it out via the number 8. Something a few other sides should take notice of (I'm looking at you, England!).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:57 pm

Japan have been a very good scrummaging team for a long time, now the rest of their game is coming along too.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Sep 2015, 8:59 pm

I've also thought they were solid in that regard, but not as good as I saw today. It all seemed to come together at once. We'll soon see whether it was just one of those 'perfect' games or the sign of something more long-term. Hope it's the latter.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:01 pm

Breadvan wrote:Outrageous game by Japan. Took it to SA all game, brilliant determination and never give up attitude .Hard lines biltong, fa, kingraf but the try at the end and the celebrations of the players, staff, crowd, stewards was excellent.
If you looked closely enough, there was a copper grinning like an idiot too!!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:03 pm

Yeah, it was brilliant to see the unconfined joy. Not a dry eye in the house. I just hope England are never involved in one of those 'great days for rugby' Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:03 pm

just saw the odds pre match... they were 80/1 to win.

For reference purposes Buster Douglas was 42/1 when he beat Tyson in the greatest upset in boxing history.

To say Japan have been sleeping giants is a bit of an over-statement.... this is a side who lost to Fiji, Tonga and the USA earlier this year when they generally get all their players available compared to the PI nations.
They only just scrapped past Georgia a few weeks ago.

That's how big this result was.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:04 pm

Yeah, its all memorable and inspirational until the day it happens to you!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:06 pm

In terms of potential (player base and infrastructure/funding) Japan are probably a 'sleeping giant'. They can obviously attract the top coaches too.

Having said that, no-one (least of all the bookies) saw this one coming.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm

to be honest and I know some will just say sour grapes but I don't see Japan becoming a force in the game... not without min ten of their players being foreign imports... and they will all be the dros of other nations player pool.

Prior to the foreign influx the biggest guys they could muster were about 6'4. The size of the indigenous Japanese players is a problem for their long term prospects. Today the best players on the pitch were non-Japanese Japan players.

They may be able to improve on their results now but I can't see them ever getting to a stage where they become genuine threats.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:20 pm

No, but they can certainly win one-off games.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 9:28 pm

Too true Notch, If you can beat a first team bok side in a RWC... you can have your day with any team in the world bar NZ.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:03 pm

RSA vs Japan - Page 4 C0ec5bfa2aba72206aad7b831f85a896814c401b68267d90373c4040bd96bc33

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:11 pm

sportform wrote:
Notch wrote:I'm just thinking back to the last World Cup when France lost to Tonga, and still reached the Final. South Africa will be under such pressure but there is going to be a big reaction.
That's why I don't like bonus points. Without bonus points and on head-to-head records, Tonga would have made the quarter finals in 2011.

Just look at today's game. Japan put in a fantastic effort to win but are only two points ahead of South Africa. What nonsense. Any win should be a four point advantage over your opponents in the actual table.

Totally agree and that's why we all love the 6N and don't want it changed.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm

For me the thing about RWC`s is the odd result,ALL teams at full strength[injuries permitting].
Only Ireland today have been predictable,MOST sides have shown strong Scrums many
better than England.
SA have done enough to still win the Group,Japan have been threatening something
like that for several RWCs [2011?]
Great game brilliant both sides to score 4 tries and still lose to a tier 2 side ?
running out of steam looks a problem still.
2014 Ellis Park had the penalty been 5 mins earlier v AB`s would still have expected
late AB win.
GREAT all to play for,only sour note TMO shows and too many penalties awarded etc.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat 19 Sep 2015, 10:55 pm

fa0019 wrote:to be honest and I know some will just say sour grapes but I don't see Japan becoming a force in the game... not without min ten of their players being foreign imports... and they will all be the dros of other nations player pool.

Prior to the foreign influx the biggest guys they could muster were about 6'4. The size of the indigenous Japanese players is a problem for their long term prospects. Today the best players on the pitch were non-Japanese Japan players.

Disagree a bit here, the best players were motm tanaka at 9 and there full back both Japanese. And all other teams need 'Foreign' players with almost every European team having a south African, kiwi and a Pacific islander playing for them

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:02 pm

emack2 wrote:For me the thing about RWC`s is the odd result,ALL teams at full strength[injuries permitting].
Only Ireland today have been predictable,MOST sides have shown strong Scrums many
better than England.
SA have done enough to still win the Group,Japan have been threatening something
like that for several RWCs [2011?]
Great game brilliant both sides to score 4 tries and still lose to a tier 2 side ?
running out of steam looks a problem still.
2014 Ellis Park had the penalty been 5 mins earlier v AB`s would still have expected
late AB win.
GREAT all to play for,only sour note TMO shows and too many penalties awarded etc.

Agree about the TMO, it's getting extremely annoying when a conversion's been lined up only for the ref to change his mind after watching the replay. It's a very ham-handed way of ensuring the correct decision's being made.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:05 pm

Some very strong performances from Japan born players there. Every country in the world is taking advantage of foreign born players when it benefits them, and Japan using them to plug gaps is no different. But performances like this are the ones that bring more young people to the game as well as investment into the sport in Japan, so it will stand them in good stead long-run

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

How much will losing that game mean to SA fANS BACK HOME'

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:14 pm

Simply amazing. One of the greatest games & probably the best finish to a game I've seen. Just felt so exhilarated by that! Entire family were crouching by the TV for the last 5 minutes.

Take my hat off to Japan. So brave at the end & just gutted we have to play them next. My new second team for sure!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:14 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:How much will losing that game mean to SA fANS BACK HOME'

Could it be a drive to bring Japan into the Rugby Championship?

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:18 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
sportform wrote:

Totally agree and that's why we all love the 6N and don't want it changed.
In effect, Japan only get half a win for their great effort.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm

Marshes wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:How much will losing that game mean to SA fANS BACK HOME'

Both Japan and Argentina have got franchises in the Super Rugby next year.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:25 pm

sportform wrote:
Marshes wrote:

Both Japan and Argentina have got franchises in the Super Rugby next year.

Forgive the ignorance but does that mean they will be in the RC in 2016? Also, last I heard the franchise in Japan was in big trouble. Hope this gives them a bit of incentive to sort it out!

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:28 pm

What made this win so great, was seeing the bench high five go and celebrating 15 mins before the end of the match. They were just dig spot to have pushed the bokks so far. They deserved the win so badly. Incredible mentality

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:33 pm

There is 10 places between them in the rankings. I wonder is that biggest gulf between lower ranked winner and higher ranked loser

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:38 pm

Who was man of the match?

Last edited by bsando on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down