The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time?

+8
SecretFly
Notch
glamorganalun
Steffan
HammerofThunor
RuggerRadge2611
yappysnap
LondonTiger
12 posters

Go down

Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time? Empty Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time?

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:11 am

Currently the 6Ns starts on the first weekend in February, ending usually on the penultimate weekend in March.

How about instead we play the club season through from September to April. That would be 35 weekends available with "Domestic Leagues" needing 24 weeks and Europe 9 weeks. International coaches could thus have their squads for a couple of weeks and then play the 6Ns through May.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time? Empty Re: Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time?

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:20 am

Think of the historyyyyyy you're ruining LT!!! It's the best tournament in the world blah blah blah I fear change blah mutter...

Yes it should be moved and having the club games run in one block and then internationals in another makes a lot of sense.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time? Empty Re: Should the 6Ns be moved to Spring time?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:25 am

yappysnap wrote:Think of the historyyyyyy you're ruining LT!!! It's the best tournament in the world blah blah blah I fear change blah mutter...

Yes it should be moved and having the club games run in one block and then internationals in another makes a lot of sense.

I agree, but with the bloated club format I can't see this changing anytime soon.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 am

Boss man says no.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/sixnations/11329921/Six-Nations-to-be-shifted-to-later-in-the-season-No-chance-says-organiser.html

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:22 am

I would change the 6 nations completely

Wales and Ireland should Southern Hemisphere sides to form a new 6 nations

The remaining 4 teams from the north could bring in someone like Georgia and Romania

That way we would have two 6 nations of top tier and second tier

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:40 am

That would be wonderful. I'd go for that without a doubt.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:42 am

Steffan wrote:I would change the 6 nations completely

Wales and Ireland should Southern Hemisphere sides to form a new 6 nations

The remaining 4 teams from the north could bring in someone like Georgia and Romania

That way we would have two 6 nations of top tier and second tier

Good wum

I remember the English media bringing this up they were on top.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 am

Yes, yes, a million times yes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:07 am

I can't understand why any one wants to move it?

The 6N's brings in plenty of cash where it is, I don't think we're going to find a better time in the season that'll bring in more... Very Happy

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:19 am

Move the World Cup to Spring.... a better taste of players in form than starting out fresh with no season to reflect on and only 'friendlies' to work from.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 am

If we want the NH to make the final four at world cups then I think moving it is a fundamental. The suggestion in the OP is probably the closest to a global season we'll get. I doubt however, that the clubs in England and France will budge.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:34 am

mikey_dragon wrote:If we want the NH to make the final four at world cups then I think moving it is a fundamental. The suggestion in the OP is probably the closest to a global season we'll get. I doubt however, that the clubs in England and France will budge.

I reckon the English clubs would be happy with a season that ran uninterrupted from September to April. French would not. Their ideal season sees europe finished in January, then 6Ns, then the finale to the T14.

6Ns committee and TV would be unwilling to move to May as then they are competing with the end of the football season.

Sadly a global season can never happen as there are too many non-negotiables. SH Want their season to run from Feb to October, we want September to May. Neither hemisphere wants to play in the summer months.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:29 am

Fair one, LT. If the English clubs agree to it, the Welsh would be in tow! Maybe France could fit in their Top 14 finalé after the 6 nations, as they do have a longer season as it is.

I didn't consider that. Do they compete directly with the NRL in the SH, or is that played at different times/months? If they overlap then surely the SH is doing something right to be on air the same time as the NRL and not go bust.

Yep, but I think your suggestion is close. If we still have summer tests then surely with your idea that would need to be moved forward to July - I know the SH would disagree, but in an ideal world they wouldn't and we'd get non-stop rugby across the world. It seems the AI's don't fit with your idea though, and they're a huge money spinner for us lot.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:32 am

Oh and I don't know why we don't play in summer months. I've watched end of season Wales games played in June, each time on a beautiful day - they were some of my best ever days in Cardiff.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Absolutely not.

There's nothing I like better than standing in the garden of the Murrayfield Hotel early February in a kilt and short sleeve rugby top, shivering so uncontrollably and in such a manner that half my pint is slopping over the sides onto the paving.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Absolutely not.

There's nothing I like better than standing in the garden of the Murrayfield Hotel early February in a kilt and short sleeve rugby top, shivering so uncontrollably and in such a manner that half my pint is slopping over the sides onto the paving.

thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Spring, Winter, Summer - all the same in Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Joking aside,

My season would look like this:

September - December :
Domestic leagues Pro12/Aviva/Top14

January - February
European Group stages

April - May
6N

June
European Knockout stages

July
Summer Tours

This is based on rough handfuls.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:51 pm

New question. Should this topic be on this forum every stuffing year?

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down