The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo on facing GGG

+12
AZZJ44
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
Qoxiivi
mobilemaster8
catchweight
Nico the gman
Jermaine2015
Lance
wheelchair1991
Valero's Conscience
AdamT
16 posters

Go down

Canelo on facing GGG Empty Canelo on facing GGG

Post by AdamT Thu 22 Oct 2015, 1:22 pm

"Let him come down to 155, i will fight him any day of the week."

Is he for real? Does he not walk around at 170?

If he beats Cotto, GGG should definitely agree to this and call his bluff.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Canelo on facing GGG Empty Re: Canelo on facing GGG

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 22 Oct 2015, 2:23 pm

I think GGG has already said he's the man at MW (universally agreed regardless of plastic Ring belt) and shouldn't have to face either at a lower weight.

No way does Golden Boy let Canelo anywhere near GGG.

Catchweights are a disgrace in boxing and would loathe to see him do it but as you say, would be great to call out the winner to call their bluff and watch both scram!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 22 Oct 2015, 2:32 pm

Good post

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 22 Oct 2015, 7:38 pm

Canelo has said today he will not fight GGG unless its at a catchweight of 155lbs

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 22 Oct 2015, 7:52 pm

Golovkin has been saying for years he's able and willing to go down to 154. Canelo never fought above 155. Simple really.

Be funny watching the Golovkin cheerleading team use this as an excuse to claim Canelo is scared.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 22 Oct 2015, 8:14 pm

Come on Lance. I don't think anybody really thinks Canelo is afraid of GGG.

I still think they should fight at 160, though would be happy to see it at 155 too.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 22 Oct 2015, 8:40 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:I think GGG has already said he's the man at MW (universally agreed regardless of plastic Ring belt) and shouldn't have to face either at a lower weight.

Catchweights are a disgrace in boxing and would loathe to see him do it but as you say, would be great to call out the winner to call their bluff and watch both scram!
Cotto holds the Linear middleweight title, therefore until GGG wins that title he isn't the man at 160.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 22 Oct 2015, 9:00 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:I think GGG has already said he's the man at MW (universally agreed regardless of plastic Ring belt) and shouldn't have to face either at a lower weight.

Cotto holds the Linear middleweight title, therefore until GGG wins that title he isn't the man at 160.

Golovkin is the man of the division regardless

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 22 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:

Golovkin is the man of the division regardless
100% correct, Canelo wants to be the middleweight king he fights GGG at 160, if not stay at 154 simple as that.

Majority of us have a good idea what happens If GGG fights Cotto or Canelo, they will be either quickly KO'd, or a very long painful night awaits them, I can't see any other result.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 25 Oct 2015, 3:20 am

Neither Cotto or Alvarez want the fight. Canelo weighs over 170lbs when he fights so this 155lb rubbish is clearly nothing more than obstacle. Why bother fighting? Just declare the winner the guy who can dehydrate the most and then put it back on without harming themselves most effectively.

Unfortunately the financial muscle of Cotto/Alvarez and the lack of backbone in the WBC to enforce the weight class limit will probably mean if Golovkin ever does manage to get one of these guys in the ring it will be at a catchweight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:15 am

So at least we know GGG boasting to fight anyone from LMW to SMW was nonsense. The best LMW has offered him a fight at 155. What's the issue. It's only the fact Cotto is claiming to be a MW and yet fighting Canelo that is muddying the waters. Canelo is not claiming to be a MW.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 8:51 am

What's even stranger to me is that he weighed in at 167lbs at his 30 day weigh in for cotto.....so how he says his body isn't ready for 160 is beyond me really because clearly he has absolutely not problem with that weight.

Unfortunately we have Cotto as a MW champ and actually hasn't fought at the weight limit and refuses to do so which is laughable....and you have Canelo who could easily fight at 160 and even 168 and he won't move up either.

GGG is a beast and people don't want to fight him.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 25 Oct 2015, 10:52 am

Lance wrote:So at least we know GGG boasting to fight anyone from LMW to SMW was nonsense. The best LMW has offered him a fight at 155. What's the issue. It's only the fact Cotto is claiming to be a MW and yet fighting Canelo that is muddying the waters. Canelo is not claiming to be a MW.

How do you know Golovkin wont fight him at a catchweight?

Of course the problem is Golovkin, a destructive middleweight who want to fight at the middleweight limit and unify the division.

Its not Alvarez, who doesnt "claim" to be a middleweight yet is willing to fight for the middleweight title at a catchweight. Who struggles to make light middleweight so badly he has had to invent his own 155lb weight class where he drains himself down 20lbs to a weight he couldnt possibly compete at but rehydrates up to light heavyweight for the actual fight. Hes not a middleweight though.

Golovkin is clearly the guy with the problem alright.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:15 am

So depressing that no matter who wins out of Cotto/Canelo, neither will defend the Middleweight title at the Middleweight limit. So, no chance of unification then. Truly pathetic. If you're too small/scared to fight proper MWs, then don't fight in that division.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:12 pm

Its a real hoot when a fighter that in an era of over 20 weight classes cant make the 154 one, invents another class at 155 and wont fight in the 160 one despite actually weighing 170 plus when he fights.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Oct 2015, 4:20 pm

GGG doesn't need Cotto or Canelo, whoever he were to fight he goes in as favorite, beating 'smaller' men won't add to his 'legacy'. However if the winner of wants to fight GGG with the belt on the line then it should be at full MW, up to them if they want to come in lighter. Now if GGG is genuinely confident of getting down to 155 and is looking for a money fight, because lets face it these 2 will give him by far his biggest purse and for the foreseeable future, then why not but without any belts on the line or any other contractual nonsense? The fight doesn't need a belt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 25 Oct 2015, 5:00 pm

GGG is the one who said he could make 155lbs, Alvarez is calling his bluff as he's entitled to do, if he's not willing to go that far down then don't make out you'll take on any challenger between 154-168lbs.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 25 Oct 2015, 5:31 pm

If GGG is trying to make demands that a middle weight unification fight should be fought at 160lbs frankly I am outraged by the impudence of the man. I am just glad others are now able to see through this charlatan.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 25 Oct 2015, 6:20 pm

His position is really not that difficult to understand. He is a middleweight, he is most comfortable and effective at middleweight. For the right fight (read Manny or Floyd) he would be willing to make some sacrifices and do what he needs to, to make 154/55. However when the opponent is a middleweight he'd rather fight them at middleweight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 9:58 pm

The fighters seem to be taking a lot of flack for this and I'd usually say rightly so. In this case I think the governing body needs to accept blame going back to sanctioning the Cotto V Martinez fight and all subsequent Cotto fights thereafter. They've allowed their title to be defended at everything above 154 and below 160 and have left too much scope for Cotto and Canelo to do this, if Canelo wins.

In relation to their fight night weights and the amount Canelo is cutting, it's part and parcel of boxing and has been for years. You've just got to look at Cotto and Alvarez to see they wouldn't be as effective against full middleweights. They are not middleweights. Canelo will be in the future but he's not at the minute.

I do feel a bit sorry for Golovkin in this too but he should have gone all out to fight Martinez. He's said he's waiting until he unifies the division and good on him for that. By doing so he's got to expect to have to bend a little to accomplish that as to do so he'll have to fight someone that's never met or fought at the middleweight limit. Can't blame Cotto or Canelo for wanting to look after their own interests. Cotto v GGG at 160 is a massacre. 157 who knows.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 25 Oct 2015, 10:01 pm

It's a farcical position when weight stipulations are put in on title fights. If the sanctioning bodies had any credibility..... I guess I can stop there.

However, GGG's team did kind of give up the moral high ground when he said he'd fight ward but only at catchweight... Having previously said he'd fight anyone (I think it was actually) up to 175.

For all we can debate ring weights, according to the rules of boxing Alvarez is a career light middle. He opts to fight there and makes the same calculated assessment as any other fighter in terms of potentially sacrificing strength and stamina for a lower weight class. He's done it regularly he's comfortable with it and thinks he gives up more than he gains by fighting at 160. 

He doesn't make the weigh-in rules, so to my mind, in the crazy world of boxing that's fair enough... Except, as I said earlier, in a middleweight title fight, where it patently sucks.

I'd like to see Alvarez at 160... See if he has any more pop and better stamina. Which clearly he'd need against golovkin.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 25 Oct 2015, 10:47 pm

Golovkin wanting to unify by beating the winner of Cotto Alvarez has blown that fight up even more than it needed. Cotto and Alvarez have been on course to meet for a few years. I don't think the middleweight title has much to do with it. Sure it's a bonus but they've both been campaigning at the same weight for a few years now and would have met anyway, with or without the title.

Golovkins run and hopes to succeed them is secondary to this. He needs the title but they don't need him. In fact if it wasn't for him and his fans Cotto and Canelo would probably still campaign at light middle after this fight. As it is they'll be forced by the WBC to defend against GGG but neither of them are middleweights. In all the GGG love in this seems to be forgotten. I know there'll be the 'he owns the middleweight title so he should defend it at the middleweight limit' thought process and it is right but these guys aren't middleweights. Same with Floyd at light middle. He was never a light middle but he was good enough to beat people bigger than him. Doesn't mean he has to campaign there when it's clear that he isn't suited to the weight.

Anyway.....

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:05 pm

The idea that Alavarez isnt suited to middleweight is laughable. He has been to known to weigh 175lb when he fights as a "light middleweight". He struggles so bad to make the the light middleweight limit his last 3 fights have taken place above the weight class threshold.None of this has anything to do with being too small. Its simply using commercial power to weaken an opponent and gain an advantage.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 12:17 am

Canelo's weakening his opponents? He went to 152 to fight Floyd. He's done his last few opponents a favour if anything by giving them the extra pound as he's fighting light middles. He's making 155.

Until day of the fight weigh ins are reintroduced theres no point mentioning the fight night weight. Means nothing when the guy is making 155 and his next opponent won't go much above that either. They're too small for middle imo.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 26 Oct 2015, 7:55 am

Canelo has not fought as a light middleweight since the Mayweather fight over 2 years ago. And he dragged himself down as low as possible because the fight was lucrative enough to be worth it. It probably killed any chance he had of winning the fight.

He is not fighting at 155lbs as a favour to his opponent. That is ridiculous. He is fighting at 155lbs because it kills him (a 175lb fight night weight) to try and dehydrate down that far and then pile al the weight back in. The extra pound is for his own benefit and as the comercial fighter it buys him an advantage.

The fight night weight is extremely relevant. In fact its a far better indicator of a fighters true weight class than the weigh in. There is little difference between Golovkins and Canelos real weight. They are similarly sized fighters. One of them just goes through a more punishing weight loss and regain programme in order to get away with fighting smaller opponents.

Alvarez has effectively disregarded weight classes now. Which is something that is increasingly common from the comercially powerful fighters. He picks the weight he wants to fight at to give himself the best possible advantage. He is blatantly more suited to middleweight than light middleweight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:13 am

But surely.....for a title that's being contested at 160.....it should be fought at 160 so cotto or alvarez can come in 160 and under.....the fact that cottos 3 fights at MW....the 160 lbs limit.....he has not fought anybody at that weight yet and he is a supposed champion.

Joke champion.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:19 am

catchweight wrote:Canelo has not fought as a light middleweight since the Mayweather fight over 2 years ago. And he dragged himself down as low as possible because the fight was lucrative enough to be worth it. It probably killed any chance he had of winning the fight.

He is not fighting at 155lbs as a favour to his opponent. That is ridiculous. He is fighting at 155lbs because it kills him (a 175lb fight night weight) to try and dehydrate down that far and then pile al the weight back in. The extra pound is for his own benefit and as the comercial fighter it buys him an advantage.

The fight night weight is extremely relevant. In fact its a far better indicator of a fighters true weight class than the weigh in. There is little difference between Golovkins and Canelos real weight. They are similarly sized fighters. One of them just goes through a more punishing weight loss and regain programme in order to get away with fighting smaller opponents.

Alvarez has effectively disregarded weight classes now. Which is something that is increasingly common from the comercially powerful fighters. He picks the weight he wants to fight at to give himself the best possible advantage. He is blatantly more suited to middleweight than light middleweight.

You said that's he's weakening his opponents because of his commercial power. How is he weakening his opponents when he's fighting them at 155?
He's fighting  against light middles  but against him it's 155. That's what I meant by 'doing them a favour'.

Their fight night weights might be a reflection of the weight they should fight at, in an ideal world, but that's not how it works.

Canelo was a welterweight not too long ago. He's just gradually making his way to middle now. All this fuss because 'good boy' will have to cut a few more pounds now.

It isn't fair that the middleweight title so contested below 160. I've said the governing body needs to shoulder the blame for allowing a precedent. That and Cotto and Canelo are clearly too small for full middles at the moment.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 26 Oct 2015, 6:00 pm

Clearly Canelo is not too small for full middleweights at the moment. As evidenced by the fact he weighs 175lbs when he fights and by the fact he has not actually fought at light middleweight in over 2 years.

He has invented his own weight class where he can give himself an extra pound against fighter A or force fighter B to drain down a couple of pounds to fight him.

In effect what he is saying is that he wont fight Golovkin unless Golovkins weakens himself. They are similarly sized fighters but Canelo opertates independent of weight class rulings to suit himself.

If fighters claim to champions of a weight class but dont actually stick to the weight class limits then they deserve to shoulder flack irrespective of what govern bodies say or do. They are part of the problem.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 26 Oct 2015, 6:23 pm

If any fighter holds a belt at a division he cannot and should not claim to be too small to face anybody within that weight class. Anybody who does rightly deserves criticism.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 26 Oct 2015, 8:52 pm

Don't get why Canelo would use this as an excuse. For me he beats GGG whatever the weight with 1 arm tied behind his back to.

GGG is not all he is cracked up to be. People who understand boxing like myself know this.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm

Seems like Canelo has been honest about things whether you like his position or not. Cotto milking the MW belt is to blame here. Otherwise a career LMW offering to fight the top MW who claims he's willing to take on all fighters from 154 upwards would seem like a good offer, and an acceptable time to use a catch weight. Although admittedly I can see why some are sick of Canelo and catch weights. Does seem GGG talks a lot of rubbish though.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm

The problem is that Cotto and Canleo dont really want fight the best middlweight in the world despite operating in the middleweight division and contesting the middleweight world title.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:44 pm

GGG will end up having a 'big drama show' at 155 against Canelo. He'll probably win and then he can defend his unified titles til his hearts content. Or until he moves to super middle.

Could you see Canelo Cotto at 160? I might be on my own here but I couldn't see it.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 29 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

If Canelo wins he'll likely face Bradley or Rios at some catch-weight or another.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/cotto-canelo-winner-to-take-on-a-smaller-fighter-next-220806790.html

I'm guessing this will be for the WBC 155 lb. championship again?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Oct 2015, 2:44 pm

hazharrison wrote:If Canelo wins he'll likely face Bradley or Rios at some catch-weight or another.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/cotto-canelo-winner-to-take-on-a-smaller-fighter-next-220806790.html

I'm guessing this will be for the WBC 155 lb. championship again?

Surely not? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:10 pm

The solution to all this is to make another weight division. We need a Super Light Middleweight division.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down