The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jeff - Round 3

+21
George Carlin
emontagu
doctor_grey
nathan
Rugby Fan
Heaf
little_badger
stub
Poorfour
ChequeredJersey
BamBam
Welly
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
Knackeredknees
No 7&1/2
Bathman_in_London
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
HongKongCherry
25 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Jeff - Round 3 - Page 4 Empty The Jeff - Round 3

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

As LT is away I'll post the latest version, but I won't provide anywhere near the level of detail that he does, but at least it gives us the option to discuss the games.

Saturday 31st
Sarries (1st) v Irish (12th) 1pm
Bath (8th) v Quins (6th) 1.30pm
Glaws (5th) v Wuss (10th) 2pm

Sunday 1st November
Falcons (11th) v Chiefs (3rd) 1pm BT
Sale (9th) v Saints (4th) 2.30pm
Tigers (2nd) v Wasps (7th) 3.15pm BT
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

The Jeff - Round 3 - Page 4 Empty Re: The Jeff - Round 3

Post by Welly Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:35 pm

Red for me.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:40 pm

Gopperth clearly only had eyes for Tait. The slow motion made it look worse but that could easily have been red and I really wouldn't be surprised if he is cited.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:47 pm

Live I thought, even on big screen, I thought the contact from elbow to jaw was accidental. However he left his feet and jumped into a player which is reckless so can see why he was binned.

Just for me, red would have been harsh.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:50 pm

I was really disappointed with Wasps. I had expected so much more. Daly really butchered any number of chances.

Pleased with a win, but still feel we are a mid table team. Trip to Exeter will be informative. Get something from that and I may start to believe.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:52 pm

i've already written this season off so im not expecting lots.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:19 pm

nathan wrote:What were peoples thoughts on the Gopperth incident? Yellow correct?, should of been red?

I thought red to be honest.

He elbowed Tait in the face and I think it's only that Tait stayed standing and didn't need medical attention that made it a yellow.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:25 pm

yappysnap wrote:
nathan wrote:What were peoples thoughts on the Gopperth incident? Yellow correct?, should of been red?

I thought red to be honest.

He elbowed Tait in the face and I think it's only that Tait stayed standing and didn't need medical attention that made it a yellow.

Tait did hit the floor i think.

For me it was a certain yellow, most likely red. Made me laugh seeing him try to convince players on the bench that he didn't mean to do it

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:27 pm

Seeing it again makes me laugh how he cupped his hands when he landed to try and make it seem he went for the ball

http://vid01.bt.co.uk/v1/bc/pd/2503979514001/201511/2213/2503979514001_4590271698001_4590268034001.mp4

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:59 pm

That's a red for me. No question whatsoever.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:04 pm

Red
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:14 pm

Red. No doubt. Looking straight at the player not the ball, moves his arm in a way to strike, then the pitiful cupping of the arm to make out like he was going for the ball. A completely bizarre and pointless strike to the head.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:31 pm

I will have to look at it again. As I said I thought from live and big screen (at opposit end of the ground as I was finally in new stand) contacvt was largely accidental.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:34 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I will have to look at it again. As I said I thought from live and big screen (at opposit end of the ground as I was finally in new stand) contacvt was largely accidental.

posted a link to the video above

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm

nathan wrote:Seeing it again makes me laugh how he cupped his hands when he landed to try and make it seem he went for the ball

http://vid01.bt.co.uk/v1/bc/pd/2503979514001/201511/2213/2503979514001_4590271698001_4590268034001.mp4

OK just watched that. And yes have changed my mind.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 01 Nov 2015, 10:11 pm

It was the height of stupidity from Gopperth and a completely pointless cheap shot that cost Wasps the game.

LT, I have serious reservations to. Particularly with our usual set piece dominance missing. Having said that if Kitchener and Slater can return soon with Ayerza the that's a pack transformation right there. Kitchener is a one man line out and Slater will flourish in this new environment.

Kitto looks a handy player and I hope O'Connor can do the one thing McCaffery seemingly can't, catch the bloody ball. He was so good today but how many knock ons when breaking through the tackle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 01 Nov 2015, 10:23 pm

Tigers look unusually vulnerable but have taken their chances well. Given they normally start the season slowly and time their run to the playoffs with precision, maybe the rest of us should be worried that they are winning without playing well.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:12 am

Some harsh comments on mallinder from some, I think he has largely done a very good job there. When the saints first hit the top they had put together a very good 23 but a lack of depth probably cost them another title. For me, on average sarries have had the best squad over the past 5 years and tigers too until last season... I expect tigers to be back up there this season. With the improvements from bath and exeter (quins will be a top 4 threat this year too) its only going to get harder for saints to win titles going forward.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:06 am

Realistically, Bath, Sarries, Tigers, Saints, Wasps, Exeter and Quins all have the squads to be playoff contenders, though on the evidence of the first couple of games, Wasps are going to need to find a bit more nous; taking losing bonus points away at Quins and Tigers is an ok result but they didn't really look like winning in either game.

Quins in turn may come to rue throwing away the game at Welford Road - but I think they look quite dangerous this year without having really hit their stride yet. Last year we were bedevilled by injury and had a load of senior players who spent most of the year on the treatment table. This year, a chunk of that generation have retired, the remainder all look fit and the replacements we've brought in are already making an impact.

Glaws and Sale are in with a shout too, but historically have been just short of what it takes over the course of a season.

Irish look to be in transition, Worcester will be concentrating on consolidating their position this season. Falcons already look to be in trouble - if the BT pundits are right they had 9 players at the RWC and 20 injured in preseason, so it's hardly surprising they've struggled, but the size of the required turnaround is pretty chunky.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:25 am

Poorfour wrote:Realistically, Bath, Sarries, Tigers, Saints, Wasps, Exeter and Quins all have the squads to be playoff contenders, though on the evidence of the first couple of games, Wasps are going to need to find a bit more nous; taking losing bonus points away at Quins and Tigers is an ok result but they didn't really look like winning in either game.

Unless my maths is faulty, Wasps only have one LBP so far.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:29 am

LondonTiger wrote:
nathan wrote:Seeing it again makes me laugh how he cupped his hands when he landed to try and make it seem he went for the ball

OK just watched that. And yes have changed my mind.
That's just moronic stuff. Leaving aside for the moment the fact that ball is probably falling out of play (that's where Tait is standing), at absolutely no point is he ever actually looking at the ball, which would make that a red for me. Complete brainfade from Gopperth and I would expect him to be cited.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:38 am

Poorfour makes a valid point about Falcons' absentees. 3 games is a little early to take a view on how the season will pan out, but I'd be interested to see how many teams are missing first team players? For Glaws we've been missing Wood, Galarza, Thrush, Laidlaw, Trinder and Marshall so far, all of whom should start plus a few squad members. Therefore, we shall definitely strengthen in the coming months. Tigers have clearly been missing a few key players, but who else has been effected?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:53 am

LI have been missing a few too ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:56 am

Awful cheap shot from Gopperth, he knew exactly what he was doing. Hope he has a good couple of months off at least, no place for deliberate strikes to the head like that.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:08 am

HongKongCherry wrote:Poorfour makes a valid point about Falcons' absentees. 3 games is a little early to take a view on how the season will pan out, but I'd be interested to see how many teams are missing first team players? For Glaws we've been missing Wood, Galarza, Thrush, Laidlaw, Trinder and Marshall so far, all of whom should start plus a few squad members. Therefore, we shall definitely strengthen in the coming months.  Tigers have clearly been missing a few key players, but who else has been effected?

I don't think we're missing too many starters currently which is worrying.

From our first choice XV I'd say: Thompson, Wilson, Socino & Sinoti are the only real absentees. We're running short at centre and wing (Tuilagi x 2, Kibrige, Watson, Harris) but these are bordering XV players rather than definite starters.

The pack looks unfit and un-mobile. The defence is not present and Delany isn't clicking with the backline. At this stage I can't see us staying up, we look that bad.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:22 am

Definite red for me, thought that he was gone as soon as they went to the slow motion replays

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:31 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:Poorfour makes a valid point about Falcons' absentees. 3 games is a little early to take a view on how the season will pan out, but I'd be interested to see how many teams are missing first team players? For Glaws we've been missing Wood, Galarza, Thrush, Laidlaw, Trinder and Marshall so far, all of whom should start plus a few squad members. Therefore, we shall definitely strengthen in the coming months.  Tigers have clearly been missing a few key players, but who else has been effected?

I don't think we're missing too many starters currently which is worrying.

From our first choice XV I'd say: Thompson, Wilson, Socino & Sinoti are the only real absentees. We're running short at centre and wing (Tuilagi x 2, Kibrige, Watson, Harris) but these are bordering XV players rather than definite starters.

The pack looks unfit and un-mobile. The defence is not present and Delany isn't clicking with the backline. At this stage I can't see us staying up, we look that bad.

Maybe still a bit early though Sgt? A few seasons back LI had shipped over 120 points at this point but ended up 9th ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:36 am

I don't know Heaf, we look so bad. Wells is head coach, forwards coach and defence coach and all are failing. We looked pretty good last year bar losing so many games, we actually pushed teams close.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:38 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Poorfour wrote:Realistically, Bath, Sarries, Tigers, Saints, Wasps, Exeter and Quins all have the squads to be playoff contenders, though on the evidence of the first couple of games, Wasps are going to need to find a bit more nous; taking losing bonus points away at Quins and Tigers is an ok result but they didn't really look like winning in either game.

Unless my maths is faulty, Wasps only have one LBP so far.

Sorry, you're right - I thought they'd nicked the bonus point at the end against Tigers, but they didn't.

In terms of injuries, I think Quins only have one major one at the moment - Netani Talei (who played really well in the RWC) picked up a bad knee injury in a friendly against the Dragons. Fortunately for us, we have more than adequate cover at 8 in Easter, Clifford and Luamanu. We have a couple of guys recently back from injury (Matthews being the main one), and Will Collier still coming back from last season's injury. But other than that, we've got a squad that's fitter than it's been for quite a while.

Most importantly, Harry Sloan and George Lowe are both fit and seem to be playing themselves into an effective centre pairing, at least defensively. Now we have Care back, we should see the offensive plays start to take shape.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't know Heaf, we look so bad. Wells is head coach, forwards coach and defence coach and all are failing. We looked pretty good last year bar losing so many games, we actually pushed teams close.

What do you think has changed this year to make you look bad - slow start, poor pre-season? Have you lost any key players or just missing the ones out at the RWC badly?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:45 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't know Heaf, we look so bad. Wells is head coach, forwards coach and defence coach and all are failing. We looked pretty good last year bar losing so many games, we actually pushed teams close.

Totally agree. Wells is holding 3 posts! Not good enough.

The defence is utterly appalling. Regardless of players being away / injured you should have basis of a defensive pattern. Its shocking.

The breakdown is horrific and the pack itself look weak. We lost pretty much every collision except for those Latu was involved in.

Its still early...but by god we're bad and need MASSIVE improvements if we are to stay up.

Also how come we have 20 players injured? What the hell are they doing to the players????

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:20 am

Heaf wrote:

What do you think has changed this year to make you look bad - slow start, poor pre-season?  Have you lost any key players or just missing the ones out at the RWC badly?

Wells as head/defence coach is all I can figure out.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 02 Nov 2015, 11:38 am

Does sound a lot for one coach - did you lose some coaching staff?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 11:38 am

Last time Leicester started with 3 wins in a row was all the way back in 2008/09 season

Also last time Mauger was here.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:36 pm

Welly wrote: Last time Leicester started with 3 wins in a row was all the way back in 2008/09 season

How did that season go?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:40 pm

Wasn't that the year they lost to Leinster in the HEC final, won the Anglo-Welsh and the league?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

yappysnap wrote:
Welly wrote: Last time Leicester started with 3 wins in a row was all the way back in 2008/09 season

How did that season go?

AP Winners

and HC finalist

With Vesty @ 10 and Staunton covering 15 at times and Erinle covering 13.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm

And Croft in the 2nd row and Hipkiss at 12?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:44 pm

Yea with the Cardiff Blues penalty shoot out too?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:44 pm

yappysnap wrote:Yea with the Cardiff Blues penalty shoot out too?

Oh god that was a nervy game.

Also Murphy getting a 60M drop goal V Glous.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Nov 2015, 1:05 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:And Croft in the 2nd row and Hipkiss at 12?

Nigel Owens allowing Leo Cullen to constantly pull opposition's arm in the lineout.

Hipkiss and Erinle actually outplaying their more illustrious opponents.

My last trip to Edinburgh.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Nov 2015, 6:40 pm

Poorfour wrote:Tigers look unusually vulnerable but have taken their chances well. Given they normally start the season slowly and time their run to the playoffs with precision, maybe the rest of us should be worried that they are winning without playing well.

We had Cole and three props under the age of 24 vs Wasps including a 23 year old tight head playing loose. First choice 4, 5 and 7 were all unavailable and we were still the physically dominant team. We even managed to play rugby that allowed our score to increment in something other than threes without our prolific Mr P Try. Slightly vulnerable certainly but so much better than last season! Our attack even looks like someone's thought about it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:04 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:And Croft in the 2nd row and Hipkiss at 12?

Nigel Owens allowing Leo Cullen to constantly pull opposition's arm in the lineout.

Hipkiss and Erinle actually outplaying their more illustrious opponents.

My last trip to Edinburgh.

Hipkiss and Irinle, two blasts from the past there. Scary to think they both got international caps too

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Nov 2015, 8:58 pm

Hipkiss was a good centre who was a nigh in impossible to tackle one on one due to his low centre of gravity. His inability to pass the ball hampered his international aspirations. Erinle was selected amidst an injury crisis. Decent athlete but average rugby player. Vesty also got his solitary cap on the back of this season. Flood and Vesty at 10 and 12 using the Mauger/Murphy attacking game plan was excellent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:52 pm

All I really remember of Vesty was him butchering that try for bath that could have got them in the play offs...

https://youtu.be/tmaZj2q4_To

Awkward!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:26 pm

As a Leicester fan that just makes him more of a local hero.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:29 pm

Gopperth hearing tomorrow ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 03 Nov 2015, 6:43 am

yappysnap wrote:All I really remember of Vesty was him butchering that try for bath that could have got them in the play offs...

https://youtu.be/tmaZj2q4_To

Awkward!
Laugh That really never gets old.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 03 Nov 2015, 9:13 am

You don't get that kind of hilarity in the Rabo do you GC? Wink

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 03 Nov 2015, 9:15 am

Arguably that non-try also allowed Wasps to stay up, as they ended up getting a LBP that game and were only 1 point above the relegated Newcastle.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 03 Nov 2015, 3:10 pm

Just seen the result for Saints, didn't realise they'd lost on the weekend.

Are Sale better then expected or are Saints worse?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next