The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

+17
BuzzScarlet
GavinDragon
mikey_dragon
Luckless Pedestrian
johnrgby
wayne
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
marty2086
SecretFly
Stone Motif
rodders
2ndtimeround
profitius
Chunky Norwich
Redjez
LordDowlais
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m Empty Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

The four Welsh rugby regions have raised the amount they can spend on players' wages by £1m to £4.5m.

In December 2011 the regions - Cardiff Blues, Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets - imposed a salary cap of £3.5m a year when all four were posting losses.

The rise reflects improved finances, with extra money from Europe and a new deal with the Welsh Rugby Union.

Pro Rugby Wales declined to comment, but it is understood the decision was mutually agreed after a review.

It is hoped the extra cash will help the regions retain star players and potentially bring more "Welsh exiles" home.

Leigh Halfpenny, Jonathan Davies, George North and Luke Charteris are thought to be considering returning to Wales next season.

The Ospreys are hoping Dan Biggar and Alun Wyn Jones will agree to extend their current National Dual Contracts.

However, the regions - represented by Pro Rugby Wales - are expected to make building squad depth a priority, and not necessarily spend big figures on marquee signings.

The new ceiling - which is self-imposed - is still some way below that of England's Aviva Premiership.

Premiership Rugby Limited - the umbrella body that governs England's Premiership clubs - announced in October they would be raising their cap next season from £5.1m to £6.5m, and to £7m the season after that.

These figures exclude the salaries of two so-called "marquee signings" that remain outside the cap.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m Empty Re: Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:14 am

I think we're sliding towards 2 good sides and 2 not so good sides. As an Osprey supporter living in Ireland I think we need to look at sticking with the regions but funding two better than four. All our stars that have moved away have not been stellar signings. We all want Wales to do well but I'm embarrassed watching some of the poor play we all put on. You do know it rains in NZ too!

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m Empty Re: Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

Redjez wrote: As an Osprey supporter living in Ireland I think we need to look at sticking with the regions but funding two better than four.

Which 2?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:29 am

I think theoretically East and West but that's not going to happen, I'm just not confident we could ever make the right choice, the valleys and North Wales are also left behind. Some sort of Francise say top two in league this year get more money, I don't know. The Blues don't deserve it for being poor for years, Dragons are a limited side, Scarlets are getting there and Ospreys are under performing. Just look at Connacht, very few stars, similar to the Dragons but just seem to be getting it right. Ok I've made a decision. Build a mini indoor super stadium in a field north of Cardiff and call them team A. Put a roof on Pys and call them team B. Combine Os and Scarlets and play at Lib, call them Team C and Dragons and Blues in The Parade. Or something else that someone doesn't like and we all carry on. Don't think there is a solution!

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 09 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

Redjez wrote:I think theoretically East and West but that's not going to happen, I'm just not confident we could ever make the right choice, the valleys and North Wales are also left behind. Some sort of Francise say top two in league this year get more money, I don't know. The Blues don't deserve it for being poor for years, Dragons are a limited side, Scarlets are getting there and Ospreys are under performing. Just look at Connacht, very few stars, similar to the Dragons but just seem to be getting it right. Ok I've made a decision. Build a mini indoor super stadium in a field north of Cardiff and call them team A. Put a roof on Pys and call them team B. Combine Os and Scarlets and play at Lib, call them Team C and Dragons and Blues in The Parade. Or something else that someone doesn't like and we all carry on. Don't think there is a solution!

Agreed.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 09 Nov 2015, 12:46 pm

So they're basically trying not to be left too far behind the English.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 12:58 pm

Basically we're blaming the Romans for creating the clan infighting for holding us back, our current clan chieftains want more money to waste. Warren Gatland has pushed the Welsh team into the 21st century but the rest of us are still in the dark ages, it'll never change.

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 09 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

Redjez wrote:Basically we're blaming the Romans for creating the clan infighting for holding us back, our current clan chieftains want more money to waste. Warren Gatland has pushed the Welsh team into the 21st century but the rest of us are still in the dark ages, it'll never change.

Welsh rugby was propped up by a certain few individuals who put £40m of their own money into the pro game while the WRU chief tried to kill it.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 1:59 pm

So doesn't matter which way you look we've all made a balls of it. Surely 4 regions and Wru/Gatland should have a plan going forward?

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:01 pm

Redjez wrote:So doesn't matter which way you look we've all made a balls of it. Surely 4 regions and Wru/Gatland should have a plan going forward?

You'd like to think so, but I'd wager there are still mechanisms and agreements that were signed under Roger's tenancy that the pro clubs would like to make fairer.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:31 pm

Are there rules to say we could play our international side as one of the regions and move other players around. Wipe the slate clean. I know it wouldn't happen but it seems we need to play at Rugby championship manager or something. 35 years ago when I was watching Neath play every week, packed ground, good games but wishing Wales national side could be better, we seem to have the reverse now! 40 million privately invested is hard to walk away from. Maybe the Wru needs to buy them all out. Here in Ireland the Irfu have a huge debt on the stadium alone! I think we're ahead!

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:41 pm

Redjez wrote:Are there rules to say we could play our international side as one of the regions and move other players around. Wipe the slate clean. I know it wouldn't happen but it seems we need to play at Rugby championship manager or something. 35 years ago when I was watching Neath play every week, packed ground, good games but wishing Wales national side could be better, we seem to have the reverse now! 40 million privately invested is hard to walk away from. Maybe the Wru needs to buy them all out. Here in Ireland the Irfu have a huge debt on the stadium alone! I think we're ahead!

The regions are signatories in the new euro comp and have agreements with their own union so they aren't going anywhere.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:48 pm

Hey I'm only an ex supporter thinking out loud☺

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:50 pm

Redjez wrote:Are there rules to say we could play our international side as one of the regions and move other players around. Wipe the slate clean. I know it wouldn't happen but it seems we need to play at Rugby championship manager or something. 35 years ago when I was watching Neath play every week, packed ground, good games but wishing Wales national side could be better, we seem to have the reverse now! 40 million privately invested is hard to walk away from. Maybe the Wru needs to buy them all out. Here in Ireland the Irfu have a huge debt on the stadium alone! I think we're ahead!

Don't think that's true.

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:15 pm

Now that the WRU and the regions are on the same page we should see Rugby start to grow in Wales again. Central contracts will play a large part in making the 4 regions competitive whilst protecting the players for the National team, the money freed up by the WRU contributing to these players wages will help to build much better depth at the regions.
I don't think it is a miracle fix that will suddenly make us world beaters but it will certainly help to make the Welsh game more competitive at all levels and show gradual improvement over the next few seasons.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:25 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:Now that the WRU and the regions are on the same page we should see Rugby start to grow in Wales again. Central contracts will play a large part in making the 4 regions competitive whilst protecting the players for the National team, the money freed up by the WRU contributing to these players wages will help to build much better depth at the regions.
I don't think it is a miracle fix that will suddenly make us world beaters but it will certainly help to make the Welsh game more competitive at all levels and show gradual improvement over the next few seasons.

Keeping our best players is key now. If we can get WELSH players back then fine, but for me we need to develop and KEEP our best players here. We should not need to buy in foreigners to boost our competitiveness.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:27 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Redjez wrote:Basically we're blaming the Romans for creating the clan infighting for holding us back, our current clan chieftains want more money to waste. Warren Gatland has pushed the Welsh team into the 21st century but the rest of us are still in the dark ages, it'll never change.

Welsh rugby was propped up by a certain few individuals who put £40m of their own money into the pro game while the WRU chief tried to kill it.

Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:07 pm

Redjez wrote:I think we're sliding towards 2 good sides and 2 not so good sides. As an Osprey supporter living in Ireland I think we need to look at sticking with the regions but funding two better than four. All our stars that have moved away have not been stellar signings. We all want Wales to do well but I'm embarrassed watching some of the poor play we all put on. You do know it rains in NZ too!

Nonsense
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:09 pm

Redjez wrote:I think theoretically East and West but that's not going to happen, I'm just not confident we could ever make the right choice, the valleys and North Wales are also left behind. Some sort of Francise say top two in league this year get more money, I don't know. The Blues don't deserve it for being poor for years, Dragons are a limited side, Scarlets are getting there and Ospreys are under performing. Just look at Connacht, very few stars, similar to the Dragons but just seem to be getting it right. Ok I've made a decision. Build a mini indoor super stadium in a field north of Cardiff and call them team A. Put a roof on Pys and call them team B. Combine Os and Scarlets and play at Lib, call them Team C and Dragons and Blues in The Parade. Or something else that someone doesn't like and we all carry on. Don't think there is a solution!

Nonsense
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:10 pm

Nonsense
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:24 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:Now that the WRU and the regions are on the same page we should see Rugby start to grow in Wales again. Central contracts will play a large part in making the 4 regions competitive whilst protecting the players for the National team, the money freed up by the WRU contributing to these players wages will help to build much better depth at the regions.

Nonsense
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:25 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Keeping our best players is key now. If we can get WELSH players back then fine, but for me we need to develop and KEEP our best players here. We should not need to buy in foreigners to boost our competitiveness.

Nonsense
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:52 pm

Stone Motif you are Roger Lewis and I claim my prize.

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:52 pm

Redjez wrote:Stone Motif you are Roger Lewis and I claim my prize.

Please. You are the one proposing to shut down regions and insinuating the sun shines out of Warren Gatland arse.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 1:05 am

Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 10 Nov 2015, 8:24 am

2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 10 Nov 2015, 8:27 am

Stone Motif wrote:Nonsense

Nonsense.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Tue 10 Nov 2015, 8:50 am

Lads, if the solution to rugby domination was as easy as any of us thought then it would have been done. The 15 year old me loved watching Neath do well years ago but was sad watching Wales. We've reversed that today and I'm happier but still a bit sad that we cannot share our support for both reigion and national team. The Wru and regions are both responsible and both have their problems. Stone Motif, I don't want to close the regions, I said I was playing rugby championship manager, it's a daydream, I do Belive the sun does come out of Warren's arse, we'll miss him when he's gone. I'm new here who do you support and what advice would you like to give me, practical or not

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:06 am

Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found

Now there is nonsense.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:51 am

Welsh rugby regions raise player salary cap by £1m 1347041234

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:01 am

There's a lot of nonsense on this thread mad

Taxi! Run

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:02 am

Will the salary cap apply to the Pro12 or still be just for European squads?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 10 Nov 2015, 6:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Nonsense

Nonsense.

Go on then explain to me why the pro teams in Wales shouldn't be looking for overseas squad fillers.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 10 Nov 2015, 6:48 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found

Now there is nonsense.

Go on then explain to me how a smattering of Welsh squad players, who will be away on test duty more than any other players in the NH and whose national coach requires them more than any other nation (not to mention his fondness for CrossFit and players running at brick walls), will play a large part in making the region's more competitive.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 10 Nov 2015, 6:52 pm

Redjez wrote:Lads, if the solution to rugby domination was as easy as any of us thought then it would have been done. The 15 year old me loved watching Neath do well years ago but was sad watching Wales. We've reversed that today and I'm happier but still a bit sad that we cannot share our support for both reigion and national team. The Wru and regions are both responsible and both have their problems. Stone Motif, I don't want to close the regions, I said I was playing rugby championship manager, it's a daydream, I  do Belive the sun does come out of Warren's arse, we'll miss him when he's gone. I'm new here who do you support and what advice would you like to give me, practical or not

Well, by the time he's gone we'll be something like 4 from 40 against SH opposition, so I won't be sorry to see him go, no.

The man is a a shut book, and a predictable one at that.

My advice would be to let the pro teams have autonomy to run themselves as businesses for starters.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Redjez Tue 10 Nov 2015, 8:58 pm

Fair enough, who do you support and who would you like as coach . Did you follow Wales in the 80s and 90? It's nice winning something. Just wondering!

Redjez

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:37 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found

Now there is nonsense.

Go on then explain to me how a smattering of Welsh squad players, who will be away on test duty more than any other players in the NH and whose national coach requires them more than any other nation (not to mention his fondness for CrossFit and players running at brick walls), will play a large part in making the region's more competitive.

I'll just use my own region as an example.

Jake Ball, Scott Williams, Samson Lee and Rhodri Jones all signed central contracts last year, the money saved from the WRU paying 60% of their wages meant we where able to offer Liam Williams a good enough deal for him to stay, extend John Barclay and sign DTHVDM. Players off this calibre available to the regions for the big games and training alongside the academy players daily in training will help to develop the rest of the squad.
With John Davies expected to be announced as returning also next season do you believe the Scarlets with an average gate of less than 7k could realistically afford this many top quality players without WRU support when faced with the spending power of the French and English clubs.
It seems to work really well for the Provinces having the top players centrally contracted, there is no reason it can not be just as successful in Wales.
Admittedly though as a Dragons fan you may not be seeing the fair share of this yet.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:12 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found

Now there is nonsense.

Jake Ball, Scott Williams, Samson Lee and Rhodri Jones all signed central contracts last year, the money saved from the WRU paying 60% of their wages meant we where able to offer Liam Williams a good enough deal for him to stay, extend John Barclay and sign DTHVDM. Players off this calibre available to the regions for the big games and training alongside the academy players daily in training will help to develop the rest of the squad.
With John Davies expected to be announced as returning also next season do you believe the Scarlets with an average gate of less than 7k could realistically afford this many top quality players without WRU support when faced with the spending power of the French and English clubs.
It seems to work really well for the Provinces having the top players centrally contracted, there is no reason it can not be just as successful in Wales.
Admittedly though as a Dragons fan you may not be seeing the fair share of this yet.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but look at the season prospects / re-integration of some of the Scarlets Wales players since the world cup.

Liam Williams - out until next year
Scott Williams - out for season
Samson Lee - deemed not fit enough to be involved
Ken Owens - total loss of form leading to questions whether he should start v Saints
Gareth Davies - Hardly set the world alight since his return. Aled Davies is in far better form.

Test rugby wrecks domestic rugby. And when your players are away as much as Wales' are - it wrecks it even more.

The anomaly is Jake Ball, who seems to be on fire since he's come back. How many minutes did he play in the world cup?

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:32 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found

Now there is nonsense.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but look at the season prospects / re-integration of some of the Scarlets Wales players since the world cup.

Liam Williams - out until next year
Scott Williams - out for season
Samson Lee - deemed not fit enough to be involved
Ken Owens - total loss of form leading to questions whether he should start v Saints
Gareth Davies - Hardly set the world alight since his return. Aled Davies is in far better form.

Test rugby wrecks domestic rugby. And when your players are away as much as Wales' are - it wrecks it even more.

The anomaly is Jake Ball, who seems to be on fire since he's come back. How many minutes did he play in the world cup?

This. The conditioning for cementball and the conditioning for a season of rugby are totally different.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 10 Nov 2015, 10:36 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Nonsense

How intelligent

Spoken as found

Now there is nonsense.

I don't buy this playing with better players automatically makes you a better player. For starters, the elite players in Wales aren't that good. For second, any of the Welsh regions is an injury or two away from a comedy player in the match day 23. Why is this when they have all these awesome NDC players around them?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:03 pm

Chunky, Test rugby is going nowhere and provides the lions share of the funding for the game for all bar the English and French so regardless of anything else the impacts of it are always going to be part of the game. At least now with both parties working in unison the players workload can be managed better.

Stone,  The regional players certainly won't improve without the exposure to the better players that are afforded through central contracting, at least with those players at the regions there are mentors available for the young players coming through, I personally don't think it's just coincidence that James Davies has improved so impressively since John Barclay has joined the Scarlets.

There is no miracle cure that will put things right overnight but at least now we are heading in the right direction after years of infighting between the Regions and the WRU.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:09 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:Chunky, Test rugby is going nowhere and provides the lions share of the funding for the game for all bar the English and French so regardless of anything else the impacts of it are always going to be part of the game. At least now with both parties working in unison the players workload can be managed better.

Not got a problem with a good system. What we have isn't a good system.

See England v Wales on finals day.

There is no miracle cure that will put things right overnight but at least now we are heading in the right direction after years of infighting between the Regions and the WRU.

Personally I don't believe anything is changing. The Unions are still looking to bleed the golden goose dry. At the expense of everything else in the game.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm

Incidentally the money saved on Jake Balls central contract would of been most of what it cost to sign Tom Price who is challenging Jake Ball and George Earle for a place and is quite possibly part of the reason Jake is doing so well, competition for places can only be a good thing.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:16 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:Chunky, Test rugby is going nowhere and provides the lions share of the funding for the game for all bar the English and French so regardless of anything else the impacts of it are always going to be part of the game. At least now with both parties working in unison the players workload can be managed better.

Not got a problem with a good system. What we have isn't  a good system.

Personally I don't believe anything is changing. The Unions are still looking to bleed the golden goose dry. At the expense of everything else in the game.

Not sure what you mean by England v Wales on finals day?

If nothing is changing then where do you thing the Scarlets are able to afford an extra 1mil on wages next season, or any of the other 3.
Do you honestly believe we could of afforded to sign DTH without the central contract support on the 4 existing NDC 's we have as keeping them would of pretty much emptied the kitty without support.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:22 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:

http://www.stubhub.co.uk/england-national-rugby-team-tickets/england-v-wales---the-summer-test-london-twickenham-stadium-29-5-2016-9414195/

If nothing is changing then where do you thing the Scarlets are able to afford an extra 1mil on wages next season, or any of the other 3.
Do you honestly believe we could of afforded to sign DTH without the central contract support on the 4 existing NDC 's we have as keeping them would of pretty much emptied the kitty without support

Nothing is changing in terms of test rugby keeping us at arms length. The NZ tour just proves that domestic rugby is just a second ginger stepbrother. At least in Wales. Look at the way the regions players are treated.  4 games in NZ meaning the wales players pre season is crocked again. a year before the lions tour.

And 4 autumn internationslas for wales every year for the next 3 years. any other country in europe have 4 autumn internationals every year for the next 3 years?

To be fair, PRW need to grow bigger balls on this and ask why the hell it is happening. And I do appreciate wales have more problems than other nation in this area.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:40 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:

http://www.stubhub.co.uk/england-national-rugby-team-tickets/england-v-wales---the-summer-test-london-twickenham-stadium-29-5-2016-9414195/

Do you honestly believe we could of afforded to sign DTH without the central contract support on the 4 existing NDC 's we have as keeping them would of pretty much emptied the kitty without support

Nothing is changing in terms of test rugby keeping us at arms length. The NZ tour just proves that domestic rugby is just a second ginger stepbrother. At least in Wales. Look at the way the regions players are treated.  4 games in NZ meaning the wales players pre season is crocked again. a year before the lions tour.

And 4 autumn internationslas for wales every year for the next 3 years. any other country in europe have 4 autumn internationals every year for the next 3 years?

To be fair, PRW need to grow bigger balls on this and ask why the hell it is happening. And I do appreciate wales have more problems than other nation in this area.

It's happening because it brings in revenue, now that revenue is been shared out a bit more and the WRU are paying more towards keeping players here then I doubt the PRW group are going to be doing much complaining, it's a professional game and we're a small nation with limited financial clout, the extra international helps to balance the books a little although it does put the regions at a slight disadvantage come ERC's opening game in a normal season, ironically the Regions don't have that impact this year so maybe we should just wait and see how much difference it will actually make.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 10 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm

Chunky, having checked your link for Finals day I still don't see what your getting at, there is a friendly fixture the day after the finals of both the Pro12 and the Aviva prem however I very much doubt any player will be expected to play in the international friendly if their team has made it to the final of the league.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 Nov 2015, 12:14 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:

WRU response: "To pay for the players you guys want to keep?"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Wed 11 Nov 2015, 8:14 am

SecretFly wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

WRU response:  "To pay for the players you guys want to keep?"

Exactly, gate receipts alone for 1 extra fixture against a top SH side can exceed £4,000,000.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 11 Nov 2015, 8:53 am

Stone Motif wrote:Go on then explain to me why the pro teams in Wales shouldn't be looking for overseas squad fillers.

Because looking oversees for "squad fillers" should not be the option, squad fillers should come from the academy or the welsh prem. If they want to sign a marquee player, someone who will make a difference and actually contribute to the region then fine, but not bang average foreigners who just fill a position when players are away with team Wales, I would rather see a Welsh player there from the academy or the Welsh prem.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next