The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Wold Cup Campaign - PROPS

2 posters

Go down

Wales Wold Cup Campaign - PROPS Empty Wales Wold Cup Campaign - PROPS

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 pm

With Wales preliminary squad due to be announced for the warm up games in the summer, I thought I would write some articles on Gatlands options which will make up his 30 man squad for NZ.

To start with prop.

In my opinion, we still only have 2 props guarenteed to get on the plane - Adam Jones and Paul James.

Adam Jones - he has been the force in the welsh scrum in recent years and has become a pivit of the welsh team. His form over the last few years has allowed Wales to have one of the most dominant scrums in the world for the first time in 30 years, and he is regarded by many as one of the best THP in the world.

Paul James - an excellent scrummager who has been working on his loose play game. He has been a regular in the Wales squad for the last few years and has really taken his chance to impress with injuries to Duncan Jones at the Ospreys and Gethin Jenkins for Wales.

Gethin Jenkins - is another Welsh prop who, when in form would push for a place in a World XV. However, Gethin has been injured for several months and failed to return for the Blues end of season. He hasnt been selected for the BaaBaas game event though he must be near ot full recovery (unlike Shane, who was picked). Whether Gatland will select him and give him the gametime he needs during the warm up matches remains to be seen. If he gets on the plane, will he be first choice? I think he should be, his workrate is excellent and I am reminded of his display against Australia in the autumn where his turnover count bested Warburton. He could prove vital for Wales in the breakdown as the first game is against the reigning champions and breakdown tyrants SA.

Craig Mitchell - another injured Welsh prop who would have been on the plane. He proved in the 6N that he is an adequate replacement for Adam Jones and finally gave us depth at THP. However, he will have to recover from his injury and prove he is ready. Personally I think Gatland should take a risk and put him on the plane, even if he cant get gametime - With potention for GT against Samoa and Nambia in the 2nd and 3rd games.

John Yapp - A decent prop with lots of experience, however, he has never looked that comfatable on the international stage, although I thought he was excellent against France when Adam went off - Perhaps his experince will give him the edge over the rivals if he is required for the WC.

Ryan Bevington/Scott Andrews - Both are uncapped, both will play against the BaaBaas. I would guess that they are competing for a place on the reserve list and at the moment Bevington is ahead as he starts on Saturday. Bevington is the best option as he provides a solid scrum, however, Andrews has improved this year but I wouldnt be happy seeing him line up for Wales.

Iestyn Thomas/Duncan Jones - Both have lots of experience and have been playing well. However, with Gatlands selections, there lack for international games recently will probably prevent them being selected as Gats looks to the young props rather than the experienced campaigners - which could be a mistake.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales Wold Cup Campaign - PROPS Empty Re: Wales Wold Cup Campaign - PROPS

Post by Glas a du Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I think Iestyn will be on the plane.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down