The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2?

5 posters

Go down

ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2? Empty ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2?

Post by Fernando Tue 24 Nov 2015, 11:44 pm

The toss could be scrapped in County Championship Division Two matches next season under proposals being considered by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

The ECB's executive board will discuss the plan on Thursday after it was recommended by its cricket committee.

If it is approved a one-year trial will take place in 2016 to try to improve pitches and encourage spin bowlers.

The away team would choose whether to bat, bowl or still have a toss if the pitch condition was uncertain.

The toss will remain in County Championship Division One and domestic limited-overs cricket.

It was mentioned in the first recorded laws of cricket in 1744 when the team winning the flip of the coin would have the choice of which pitch to use as well as whether to bat or bowl first.

The ECB believes many matches in Division Two are decided by the toss because home teams are producing pitches to suit their bowlers.

However, no team in the County Championship has been deducted points for preparing a poor pitch since 2011.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2? Empty Re: ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2?

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:03 am

Thanks, Fernando. Hadn't heard that before - very interesting.

I know there was a lot of concern last season about the wickets being produced by Essex. Alec Stewart was very scathing at a Surrey members' forum.

Whilst something does need to be done, I would prefer the pitch inspectors to show some bite rather than the EWCB meddle with the laws and traditions of the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2? Empty Re: ECB to trial scrapping Coin Toss in Division 2?

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Nov 2015, 8:26 am

Just read this on the Beeb.

I agree with your last sentence GB.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 26 Nov 2015, 7:58 pm

BBC report that the new arrangement will apply to both Divisions of the county championship:

An ECB statement read: "The visiting captain will be offered the opportunity of bowling first.
"If he declines, the toss will take place as normal. But if he accepts, there will be no toss."

So this means that the visiting captain only has partial control over the situation - he can only guarantee to be able to do what he wants if his wish is to bowl first. If he wants to bat first then, as now, he has to hope that he wins the toss.  What this may do is to disincentivise the preparation of green wickets by a team that is strong in the seam and "dibbly dobbly" medium pacers departments and is weaker in the spin department. However, some teams may of course still take the view that they are better off taking their chances on a seaming "2 to 3 days result" type pitch, even if they have to bat first. You could also get the visiting team looking at a somewhat green pitch on the morning of the match and deciding they won't pick any spinners!

I think this experiment is worth a trial - instead of the vagaries of subjective decision to deduct points on account of a substandard pitch there is a much more immediate possible payback. It's entirely possible though that there may be unintended consequences.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 26 Nov 2015, 9:13 pm

So you're just gonna see roads and draws week in week out.

Exciting #zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 26 Nov 2015, 9:15 pm

If the ECB wanted to control what pitches are produced, they should just employ the ground staff
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:23 am

With just one team being promoted from D2 now, this could make things interesting.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down