The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humble Pie Eaten

+24
lambertm100
Pound-for-Pound
Cast a Shadow
AZZJ44
SugarRayBray
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
Coxy001
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DuransHorse
kingraf
EX7EY
Derbymanc
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
mobilemaster8
Marlonz
catchweight
Qoxiivi
BoxingFan88
Lance
3fingers
horizontalhero
AdamT
Mr Bounce
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Humble Pie Eaten Empty Humble Pie Eaten

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:14 pm

I didn't give Tyson Fury a Prayer. He did exactly what he said he'd do and I didn't believe. Well played. Well done. And in Germany too.

Time for Wlad to retire.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Humble Pie Eaten Empty Re: Humble Pie Eaten

Post by AdamT Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:17 pm

He looked old.

I never picked Tyson to win,but I knew he would be competitive.

Wlad is a big awkward guy who loves to intimidate.

He couldn't get into Furys head and get his right hand off.

He should retire or at least if he fights a rematch, go then. He looks his 40 years.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:30 pm

absolutely, I was proven totally wrong. Well done Fury.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm

Big slice of pie for me. Well done Fury!!

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:38 pm

Fair play guys. 99% are eating humble pie.

Not a good fight, but Tyson did his job. Wlad never got in his head.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:46 pm

No lucky punch. Fury outboxed Klitschko. The only thing that can stop Fury now is becoming negligent in his training and planning for his challengers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm

Well done. I didn't think he would do it. I enjoyed it and I look forward to the rematch. Exciting times for boxing

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:50 pm

Wladimir should retire. He is a legend. He wasn't knocked out, he was just outboxed. There is no point in him asking for a rematch.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 28 Nov 2015, 11:57 pm

Fury took away his jab and he couldn't get off

Reverted to looking like he did pre emmanuel Steward

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:02 am

Yep. I saw nothing in any of Fury's previous fights to suggest that he could hang with Klitschko. I do think that Wlad has got old very quickly and seemed so, so gun-shy, but I have to say Fury has proven me wrong. His tactics and performance were perfect.

I still think he's an accident waiting to happen but I never thought he could do what he's done tonight. Congratulations to him.

Opens up some massive fights, this.

catchweight: I apologise for being flippant.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:07 am

No need for any apologies to me. Ive called more fights wrong than most.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:18 am

No, I was a bit drunk and I was rude to just go 'you're wrong'. I assume there's a rematch clause?

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:20 am

I don't think Wlad got old

Fury just took away his arsenal of punches

He said klitschko would be able to land the one two and he was mostly right

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:30 am

Well done to Fury. In the pre-fight promotion going back to July, he talked so much about Wladimir being an "old man" and that that would be the deciding factor, I really thought he'd placed all his eggs in one basket banking on Wlad growing old in the ring. But I was wrong.
Still, as much as there can be no argument about the winner, I'm left with the same feeling I had after Haye defeated Valuev in the sense that it's hardly a fight I'll be frothing at the mouth to watch again. I think Wlad should retire. I thought the Jennings fight was just an off night for him but no, he really has faded. Not meant to take away from Fury but when the guy said repeatedly that Wlad was an "old 39 year old", doesn't he kind of take away from his own victory somewhat?

Last edited by Marlonz on Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:30 am

Don't think he out boxed wlad. I think his game plan worked in just simply moving and switching. Wlad for whatever reason would not throw his right. He isn't the type to mention injury but something was not right.

Fury wins regardless and will go on to big fights with Haye or Joshua etc

Where does wlad go? Rematch at Wembley? Go for wilder?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:32 am

He couldn't land the jab

When does he ever throw a.lead right

He always gets the jab going before he dares throw it

When he did throw it he missed his radar was off

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 29 Nov 2015, 2:57 am

I gave him a punchers chance and that was it.

The manner of the victory was a total shock.

I still think fury is a big useless lump but two things were key for me tonight. First he showed absolutely no fear. Second, he was not physically bullied or manhandled by wlad.

In light of those two things wlad was clueless.

Credit to fury but I don't see him holding the titles for long

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 29 Nov 2015, 8:02 am

Same here, must admit that halfway through the fight I was hoping that Fury could keep it up and do it. He's an absolute balloon sometimes but there is something likeable about him and he deserved the win.

Think he took Wlad's right away from it rather than there being a problem with injury. Wlad looked totally shell shocked that someone wasn't just happy to be in the same ring.

Enjoyed every minute of it even if it wasn't the most technical of fights

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sun 29 Nov 2015, 8:24 am

People keep saying he won't keep the titles for long, why?

Unbeaten and just got a UD in Germany against a K brother who's undefeated the past decade. What does a man have to do?

We still don't know if Josh is the real deal (hope he is), so who is going to take those titles away from Fury?

Because he's awkward and doesn't look pretty he gets no credit. I think Tyson Fury will hold on to those belts for a lot longer than people think.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 29 Nov 2015, 8:32 am

Credit to Fury. I called this pretty badly. Don't think Fury put up a particularly good performance, but Wlad was pretty abject. Don't know if it's age or a case of him never having been that good to begin with (Its only in the last 18 months that I began to concede he might be an altogether decent fighter).

Maybe it was a case of him seeing the openings, but his body refusing to obey. It happens.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 29 Nov 2015, 8:35 am

I didn't think he'd win but after Chisora 2 I did wonder if he'd changed enough and adopted tactics that might work at the highest level... although i doubted it. I also thought even if those tactics worked they wouldn't work well enough to win on points in Wlads territory. I was glad to be wrong.

Wlad may be old these days but I don't think any opponent is going to get close at will any more, they are going to have to work him out a bit as those shots may not be concussive but they do start to mark up your face and deter opponents.

The only two problems I have is that the boring reign of Wlad may be at an end but I can't see Fury being exciting in the ring either. I think we will have to endure del boy 2 beatings from range 9 times out of 10. Also, as mentioned above, will he stay in condition? Does he have that discipline?

Regardless, well done Fury and big congratulations to Peter, without who I believe Tyson would have gone way of the rails.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Sun 29 Nov 2015, 9:05 am

I was one of the very few that thought Fury would beat Wlad on points cheers mr Hill! And whoever says Wlad suddenly got old over night is a fool because Fury not only got into Wlads head he also beat him at his own game well done Fury!
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sun 29 Nov 2015, 9:12 am

I fancied fury myself but ended up putting my money on Wlad by UD. Got put off by everything I've been reading on here, won't let that happen again.

No way was wlad ever going to finish Fury in the first few rounds like a lot of people were saying, I always felt it would go the distance but didn't think Fury could get a decision against Germany's golden boy so stuck my money on Wlad by UD. Stupid really because I was cheering for Fury from the bell.

People kept saying Fury had only fought bums. Maybe so but that's what's on offer in the current generation of heavies. And if you only get bums put in front of you, then all you can beat are bums.

Compare last night to when Haye fought Wlad. At least Tyson gave it a go from the off and was never fazed. He looked like a man possessed on his way to the ring, just did not care one bit.

OK wlad has aged since Haye but not that much. Hate bottled it over a stubbed toe. fury went to Germany for the titles and brought them back, no excuses.

Buzzing for him me. Some might not see it right now but heavyweight boxing is about to make a comeback.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:03 am

Well that's £100 down the drain.

Dire fight, had Fury by two. Couldn't quite believe how gun shy Wlad was, just wouldn't or couldn't pull the trigger. Credit goes to Fury for messing up his ryhtyhm though.

Bring on Joshua next year Smile

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:07 am

EX7EY wrote:People keep saying he won't keep the titles for long, why?

Unbeaten and just got a UD  in Germany against a K brother who's undefeated the past decade. What does a man have to do?

We still don't know if Josh is the real deal (hope he is), so who is going to take those titles away from Fury?

Because he's awkward and doesn't look pretty he gets no credit. I think Tyson Fury will hold on to those belts for a lot longer than people think.

I honestly think that he will out box most, only chance they will have is that one big shot, which is what I thought Wlad's chance was

Anyone can be knocked out at heavyweight, but he will be a tough man to beat in a boxing match

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:16 am

I'll eat humble pie never in a million years did I think that...

Fury would beat Rod Stewart in a singing contest !!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:29 am

People acting like Fury put on a masterclass.

Wlad has 1 gameplan which is to attack the head. Fury was too tall so that nulified his 1 and only gameplan. Roy Jones said it best why hold on to Fury when on the inside why not go to the body.

Fury looked good on his feet but Wilder would ko him inside 3 rounds.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:31 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'll eat humble pie never in a million years did I think that...

Fury would beat Rod Stewart in a singing contest !!!! Cool

He was horrendous from what I could hear

Thankfully the sound was bad so it wasn't that much Smile

Fury on the other hand has a pretty good voice, also considering he just did 12 rounds to win the heavyweight championship

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:31 am

Haha. I generally think you yanks have no taste in mucic, TRUSS. I'll agree with you on this one though.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:32 am

ONETWO... no. Behave.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 29 Nov 2015, 10:47 am

I got this very wrong. Fury did what I didn't think he could do - fair play, he's a worthy champion. My slice of pie doesn't taste too bad with a bit of ice cream. As long as he stays in shape he can reign for a long time. As for Wlad, I think retireent beckons. He has left his mark on the sport and has nothing to be ashamed of.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 11:15 am

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/34956724

Rematch clause will be excercised apparently. Would be cool if he came over here to fight. Saying that, after a dire fight last night I'm not overly keen in watching Wlad go all gun shy again, prefer to see Wilder or Joshua come to fight and deck the big oaf.

Saying that, Wembley would be fun.. Just doubt Wlad has got much left at 39. Never in a billion years did I (or 99.99%) see Fury winning a fair and square UD!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 11:50 am

I wanted Fury to win so humble pie isn't difficult to digest. Never thought he would win or even compete.

Was telling my wife during the first I just want him to get out of the round and then every round was the same. Wlad looked devoid of any idea and was completely befuddled by Fury's movement.

I really thought there were many levels between Wlad and Tyson. Really unbelievable how easy the man that was dropped by Cunningham made it look.

The fight itself was no Barerra v Morales but it was intriguing all the same and I enjoyed it. History was made and I feel this defeat will badly affect Wlads legacy. Questions will inevitably be raised about his reign.

Next it will be a rematch (mad to say but I can't see how Wlad wins it), a voluntary and then Wilder/Povetkin. AJ and others should be ready soon after.

The excitement is definitely back in the division.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

Joshua is a machine at fighting cans. If he lands on Tyson it's probably over.

However Joshua will not like somebody bigger than him with decent speed.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

Going off the bookies. They already rate Joshua as the best in the world.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm

Best add myself to the list of those who'd pretty much written Fury off. Gave him a distant shot at landing a 'home run' on Wlad and that was it.

All that said, I think Fury's determination to fight his own fight (and that's what I think won it for him - he made Wlad fight his fight and not the other way around as so many have) illustrates how many of WK's opponents were well beaten before the first bell.

Having given him very little chance here I don't think I'll be making a bold prediction on a Fury fight for a while. Honestly thought he was pretty average and a bit of a hypejob. That's me told...

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Don't think Wlad is very adaptable and was a bit too technical for an unpredictable fighter like Fury. He was asked about his lack of right hands in the post-fight press conference and said that he couldn't land his jab and if he couldn't land his left then he couldn't throw his right. I do think age was a big factor in the defeat but maybe being a little too textbook also didn't help?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 29 Nov 2015, 12:48 pm

Yes, clowned and made look clueless by a switch hitting Tyson Fury.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Nov 2015, 1:19 pm

Tyson Fury seemed to be spending most of his time pulling his shorts up while warding Klitscko off with one arm and his stance. How much better would have Fury been if he wore shorts that fitted him.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 29 Nov 2015, 1:23 pm

Klitschko probably stiplulated the shorts he had to wear for the fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by lambertm100 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 1:31 pm

It was Fury that made Wlad look old. His reach and switch hitting meant Klit couldn't judge the distance and land his right hand. I think people will warm to Fury. In the post fight press conference he very humble and sounded like a heavyweight champ rather than a buffoon.

lambertm100

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm

Even though Fury didn't look taller than Klitschko in the pre-match interviews, he did look taller and bigger than Klitschko in the ring where it matters most.  Both these guys are huge. That's how the heavyweight division has developed - they are effectively superheavyweights nowadays. Fury's arms look like other people's legs in length and size.

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Sun 29 Nov 2015, 1:57 pm

Nore staat I said that last night. Fury was the much bigger man. Throw in the fact he actually does have some boxing ability as well and it was justtoo much for Wlad.

I sound like a Fury fanboy today but he genuinely impressed me last night.

It wasnt a classic fight to watch but i was entertained throughout (the wine could have helped).

I'm excited about the future of heavy weight boxing again today. If America can produce a crop of decent heavyweights soon it could become the golden division again.

At the very least, between Fury, Wilder, Joshua and possibly Haye we could have some decent fights coming up.

Depending on IF Wlad does stick around it could be even more exciting. In truth I don't see Wlad fighting as a challenger at 40 years old so if he makes the Fury rematch and gets shut out again he'll call it a day

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 29 Nov 2015, 2:07 pm

The wasp was on Wlads payroll.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 29 Nov 2015, 2:23 pm

I didn't want Fury to win, didn't think he could win and did think he was a bit useless but despite all that he comfortably beat Wlad and for that I now have the upmost respect for him. I didn't like him because I felt he was all mouth but he well and truly proved me wrong last night.

Wlad is 40 and has looked old recently but at the same time neither Jennings or Pulev could capitalise on that, the fight also proved that looks can be deceiving; the sculpture lacked stamina whereas the flabby one kept going all night. As early as the second round you could tell it was going to be Fury's fight and Wlad could not get to grips with the awkward switch hitting stance, by the time he started to connect with the right hand he was spent and it no longer had any purchase to it.

I've seen a few posts here and there stating Fury didn't do enough to take the title but that is a tired old cliche that has never had any weight to it, he won the fight comfortably and that's all that matters, 117-111 for me.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 29 Nov 2015, 2:27 pm

That's a great post Hammer. Fair play.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 29 Nov 2015, 2:34 pm

Best add myself to the list of those eating humble pie. Did not give Fury the proverbial snowball in hells chance but he won, and deservedly so. Wasn't pretty or a fight I'd go out of my way to rewatch, but he got his tactics about spot on, never gave Wlad a stationary target or chance to establish his rhythm. Great win for him, and the division might be interesting for the next couple of years.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 29 Nov 2015, 2:52 pm

dont think wlad got old overnight, not been impressed with him for a while. jab jab grab is all he's been doing. sadly the state of most heavyweights these days thats plenty enough to win, fury asked questions none of the others have and fair play to him. didnt expect fury to win (had wlad on points) but had him a couple up, although i gave quite a lot of rounds 10-10 as barely anything happened to justify awarding a round one way or the other

well done fury, lets hope that the end of wlad as at least with fury it'll be a lot more interesting

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Nov 2015, 4:40 pm

Ukranians are calling Tyson Fury the "British Yeti" and the "Wardrobe".

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 29 Nov 2015, 5:18 pm

I have to say, I'm really quite enjoying this humble pie. Despite my ambivalence at Fury performing how he did (annoyed I was wrong but pleased we have another world champion), I'm now very satisfied he won. It really opens up some exciting possibilities in a division that's been so stale for so long.

I still think he's an accident waiting to happen but, although unorthodox and not particularly attractive viewing, he's clearly got discipline, some skill, tons of belief and exciting as, despite being awkward to get to when he wishes, we know that, if got to, he can be put down and possibly out.

Looking forward to HW boxing a fair bit more now.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next