The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humble pie for super

+13
princedracula
Skydriver
Faldono1fan
hend085
Tinmar
super_realist
djlovesyou
GunsGerms
pedro
Dave.
Diggers
McLaren
incontinentia
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Humble pie for super Empty Humble pie for super

Post by incontinentia Sun 14 Oct - 18:11

Dear super_realist,

Hate to say I told you so, Shane Lowry has just beaten a lot of slimmer, fitter opponents to win the Portugal masters. Ironically, you must now gorge on humble pie until you are the size of Billy Bunter.

Please take back the awful things you've said and admit that fitness has next to no impact on a person's golf. That goes for everyone else who's made fun of Shane here, you know who you are...

Thanks in advance,

Incontinentia.

Last edited by incontinentia on Sun 14 Oct - 18:19; edited 1 time in total
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Humble pie for super Empty Re: Humble pie for super

Post by McLaren Sun 14 Oct - 18:16

Should it not be humbe pastel de nata.

Man i love those things. I think i ate one at every meal time while in lisbon.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Oct - 18:36

He's still a fat knacker. I think Supers point isn't that the porker cant play , just that he could possibly be better if he was slimmer and therefore fitter.
I've no idea why fat golfers like Daly and Clarke and Lowry get so much affection , must be an everyman thing. I just see a fat bloke.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 14 Oct - 19:31

Diggers: so what if he's fat? Maybe we should take more notice of his golf, most guys can only hope to be half the man Shane is.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 14 Oct - 19:37

End of the day, a guy who wins his home Open as an Amateur must be pretty good!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Oct - 19:39

Again...nobody is saying he can't play , its whether being fat hinders his ultimate potential. Maybe it doesn't but I can't see how being overweight benefits anyone.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 14 Oct - 19:47

It would benefit him in cold conditions, this combined with his links skill means that we may see an Open championship in his future, you heard it here first!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 14 Oct - 20:07

..or future Ryder Cup captain?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 14 Oct - 20:10

super, whatever kind of pie you'll be having, I'm sure Lowry would like to help you eat it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Oct - 20:59

pedro wrote:super, whatever kind of pie you'll be having, I'm sure Lowry would like to help you eat it.

I don't think Shane shares food.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 14 Oct - 21:14

Diggers wrote:He's still a fat knacker. I think Supers point isn't that the porker cant play , just that he could possibly be better if he was slimmer and therefore fitter.
I've no idea why fat golfers like Daly and Clarke and Lowry get so much affection , must be an everyman thing. I just see a fat bloke.

Knacker, why a knacker? He is a bogger and disgracefully fat but knacker is a little ott.

Well done Lowry. Nice win!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Oct - 21:24

Knacker is often paired with fat. In fact it's about the only word it's used with. Just like saying far git really. Just a turn of phrase.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 14 Oct - 23:15

incontinentia wrote:Diggers: so what if he's fat? Maybe we should take more notice of his golf, most guys can only hope to be half the man Shane is.

Most guys would have to eat a lot to only be half the man Shane Lowry is.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Oct - 6:29

Diggers is spot on. My point isn't that Lowry isn't a talented player merely that he's happy to go along relying solely on his talent rather than combining it with taking his physical conditioning seriously. He has ONE event as a pro to his name. Not exactly impressive for a guy who's been pro a long time.

Truth is he's still a fat billy bunter and it will probably be another four years before he wins again.

If anyone has said anything outrageous it is whoever said Lowry (an ironic name given the pictures of ls lowry) should be targeting the next Ryder Cup.

So no, I won't eat humble pie unless Lowry becomes a world class player, and not just a fat hideous laughable journeyman.

As for most men hoping to be half the man Lowry is, most men are. Half the weight that is.
If Lowry is that fat so young, there's no way is talent alone can take him through his thirties alone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 8:34

Diggers wrote:Knacker is often paired with fat. In fact it's about the only word it's used with. Just like saying far git really. Just a turn of phrase.

Fair nuff. Use it differently where I'm from.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Oct - 8:58

super_realist wrote: He has ONE event as a pro to his name. Not exactly impressive for a guy who's been pro a long time.
Stop trying to embellish your argument by saying he has one PRO win, at least acknowledge his Irish Open win as an amateur, probably a greater achievement than any professional win. He has 2 european tour wins at the age of 25. He has been a pro for 3 odd years which isn't a long time at all in my book, maybe it is in yours.

I really thought you would take this in good spirits and give him some credit but unfortunately it seems you can't do that. Just more mindless bigoted crap about his weight.

Enjoy your pie cake cake cake
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Oct - 10:18

Nobody said Lowry is a bad golfer. Problem is that he has been hyped for quite a long time, without delivering.

And more worrying, by looking at his weight, he doesn't seem to take his career serioulsy, thus wasting his indisputeable talent.

As far as I remember he wasn't this fat when he won the Irish Open why one could argue he has an attitude problem.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Mon 15 Oct - 10:33

I agree that if Shane Lowry could get into better shape that it would surely benefit his career in the long term. Having said that, I don't really understand why he seems to get singled out on this site to the extent that he does. Looking at him yesterday, I would say he is a fair few lbs lighter than Monty for one, or Darren Clarke. During the time Monty was the best player in Europe, he was surely a similar weight to what Shane is currently at.

On the US Tour, Shane would almost be a lightweight if put up against any one of Tim Herron, Colt Knost, Kevin Stadler or Carl Pettersson.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 10:49

pedro wrote:Nobody said Lowry is a bad golfer. Problem is that he has been hyped for quite a long time, without delivering.

And more worrying, by looking at his weight, he doesn't seem to take his career serioulsy, thus wasting his indisputeable talent.

As far as I remember he wasn't this fat when he won the Irish Open why one could argue he has an attitude problem.

sorry have to disagree here,
1) Super has previously said he was one of the worst players on the tour
2) he was at least as fat when he won as an am.

what do people thing of his celebration on the putting green when fisher missed his putt? was it a bit unsporting?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Oct - 11:08

1) What super says always has to be filtered. We all know that Poulter is one of the worst players on tour.
2) Ok, he wasn't exactly a sylph, but I'm pretty sure he has gained weight. If not then I apologize for wumming.

Yes, his celebrations were not typical golf'ish. But why not show emotions. I think we all know that he didn't celebrate because Fish missed. But no matter how you win I guess you are equally happy? Let's not go down the fake let's-pretend-to-be-gentlemen-even-if-we-are-not alley.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 11:11

yeah i completley agree re the celebration. i raised the point as i had arguement with a mate about the fake gentlemenly approach.
hers a photo of him winning the irish open... not sure if hes bigger or not but he certainly aint slim!
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/18lQnDx9pNs/The+3+Irish+Open+Round+Four/0sOFylrbQAq/Shane+Lowry

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Mon 15 Oct - 11:12

hend085 wrote:

what do people thing of his celebration on the putting green when fisher missed his putt? was it a bit unsporting?

I don't think so. He was celebrating his own win, not Ross Fisher's misfortune. Also, it wasn't as if he did it in front of Fisher. Shane was on the practice green while Ross was on the 18th.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Mon 15 Oct - 11:23

As long as HE is happy in his own skin then it has nowt to do with anyone else. The world would be pretty dull if we all had the same shape. He would have to totally re-model his swing if he lost a load of weight.

His celebration showed just how much it mean't to him. He was celebrating HIS win not Fisher's miss.

Now where did I put that Cornish Pasty?

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 15 Oct - 11:24

I never like seeing celebrations immediately following another golfer's misfortune (as tense as the situation was here), but congrats are nevertheless due to Mr Lowry.

I'm tempted to suggest he takes a leaf out of Ernie Els' book - i.e. chill out and have a sandwich whilst waiting for others to finish... [insert your own punchline]

Good performance by Fisher too, even though he didn't win. Decent final round, overtook the 54 hole leader - can only do so much if one of your opponents (eventual winner in this case) holes an approach shot.

Probably happiest for Michael Campbell though. Looks like a fine player when he's on form (and have thought so since first seeing him on TV in the 2008 British Masters). Good to see him smiling again.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 15 Oct - 11:25

Yeah, maybe he should've been a bit more tempered in his celebrations. Not saying this as an excuse, but the other thing to remember is that Shane and Ross are stablemates at Horizon, so maybe the feelings towards each other are a bit more relaxed than they'll be in general... Conor Ridge must've had some mixed feelings when Fisher missed that last putt... Wink

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 15 Oct - 11:26

Agree with Tinmar. Im sure that he would have went and shook Fisher's hand had he been playing with him and then celebrated......................they are stable mates also............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 12:16

Cregan, have you ever played Esker hills, Lowry's home course in Offaly? Nice course, some very unusual holes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 12:23

ive played it. very unusual holes on it alright. alot of steep uphill holes if i remember correctly?
he must use a buggy Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Oct - 12:41

I've played it too, my favourite course. Very hilly and some awesome holes. Met Shane there one day after my round, seems a very sound chap.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 15 Oct - 12:43

incontinentia wrote: Met Shane there one day after my round, seems a very sound chap.

Is that a typo. Dont you mean a very round chap ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 15 Oct - 12:45

Diggers wrote:
incontinentia wrote: Met Shane there one day after my round, seems a very sound chap.

Is that a typo. Dont you mean a very hound chap ?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 15 Oct - 12:57

So what if he one as an amateur, they are basically professionals these days anyway. Not as if he was out washing windows to support his considerable food requirement.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 15 Oct - 13:01

pedro wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Is that a typo. Dont you mean a very hound chap ?
Or maybe a well over 400 pound chap ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 13:14

considering it is quite a well acclaimed course the clubhouse isnt up to much is it? pretty much a couple of portacabins.theres quite a few empty Nama-esque properties on it too- at the back of the short par 4 around the 10th (?)

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Oct - 13:33

Were you there recently hend? The clubhouse was upgraded a few years ago, its in good nick now. Ghost estate still there though!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 13:42

I actually think the clubhouse is a stroke of genius. Half of Irelands new courses are in Nama because they have gone overboard on clubhouses etc. Eskerhills actually got their clubhouse off a club in England that were upgrading. All it cost was the price to ship it over.

It is ridiculously hilly. Cant believe that Lowry doesnt shead more pounds getting round it.

Cant remember which hole it is but you are driving uphill through a narrow opening between two steep sides. Crazy hole altogether. Lots of blind shots but a really nice course.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 13:47

probably 2 years ago now though could be a bit longer. we played in a 4 man team open for 100 quid ish. course wasnt in pristine condition (though it was winter time)

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 13:48

GunsGerms wrote:I actually think the clubhouse is a stroke of genius. Half of Irelands new courses are in Nama because they have gone overboard on clubhouses etc. Eskerhills actually got their clubhouse off a club in England that were upgrading. All it cost was the price to ship it over.

It is ridiculously hilly. Cant believe that Lowry doesnt shead more pounds getting round it.

Cant remember which hole it is but you are driving uphill through a narrow opening between two steep sides. Crazy hole altogether. Lots of blind shots but a really nice course.

i know the one you are talking about. cracking hole... i lost my ball in trees on the left Sad

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 13:49

Played there this summer. Course was in great nick. Greens were very good.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Oct - 13:56

Think thats hole 4 germs, borderline ridiculous but it works. Must book another round soon, its been too long.

Gunsgerms/hendo- where do ye play your golf?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 14:07

member in malahide incon. how about yourself?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 14:08

I play mostly in SouthCounty, Mullingar or wherever citydeals takes me. Really like Rathsallagh.

Played the Radisson in Cavan recently. Was very impressed even though the course wasnt is great nik there are some really nice holes. First course Ive played that runs round in a big loop rather than every hole side by side.

It makes it seem like there is no one else around. Mind you there probably wasnt.

Not a member at the moment. you?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 14:09

played scratch cup in rathsallagh last month. was very surprised at how good the course was as i hadnt heard too much about it previously. was going quite well looking like getting a prize but blew up on the last few holes

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 14:14

Yeah very nice place. Youre obviously playing at a much higher level than me so.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 15 Oct - 14:23

Never played Esker Hills but heard good reports.......highly recommend Portumna though

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 15:08

Interesting, been a while since Ive been to Portumna. Never played the course.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Oct - 15:11

No club for me at the moment, home club used to be castlebarna in offaly. At the moment just playing the odd round here and there at different courses, mostly around the midlands. Work society play a few nice courses too, one good thing about the recession is the drop in green fees. Played mount juliet, the heritage and the k club this year for next to nothing.

John- adare manor is on my bucket list have you played it?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Oct - 15:18

"Played mount juliet, the heritage and the k club this year for next to nothing."

Was this with a society?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Oct - 15:20

The k club was with a society guns but not the other 2.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 15 Oct - 15:27

thats very funny im actually mulling over playing adare manor this weekend! last time i played in esker hills it was on route to limerick from dublin to play adare the following day.
i went down to the JP mcmanus pro am a couple of years ago too. great weekend apart from the penalty points i picked up on the way back

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next