The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn

+14
themadworldofjb
wheelchair1991
kingraf
hampo17
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
Dipper Brown
Baby faced assassin
hazharrison
Mr Bounce
BoxingFan88
AdamT
spencerclarke
18 posters

Go down

Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn Empty Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn

Post by spencerclarke Wed 02 Dec 2015, 9:44 pm

Evening all,

Anyone watching this at the weekend? Jacobs v Quillin for the WBA Middleweight title. I'm looking forward to it, should be a decent fight with two fairly even opponents.

I watched the all access on these two the other night and it was worth a viewing. It really is a fairytale story for the miracle man coming back from cancer to win a world title and defend it.

Cheers

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn Empty Re: Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn

Post by AdamT Wed 02 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm

Good post and agree.

Always love hearing these stories of people beating these awful diseases and going on to achieve great things.

Cancer has been a thorn in my mums side and my heart goes out to anyone that has it effect their lives.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn Empty Re: Jacobs v Quillin - battle of Brooklyn

Post by spencerclarke Wed 02 Dec 2015, 10:51 pm

Just watched Lee v Quillin as missed it at the time. Scored it a draw as well. Quillin seemed to fight the wrong fight after hurting Lee early on with the 2 knockdowns. Great heart from Lee. Good fight, cautious at times because both fighters had power in their punches but when they unloaded it was a lot of fun. On a side note what a second phase to Lee's career. You wouldn't have seen this a few years ago. Especially after the Charvez jr fight it looked like he was going to just step down to domestic fights.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 02 Dec 2015, 10:52 pm

I think Quillin will detonate on Jacobs and the fight will be over

Should be fun while it lasts, its a pretty good card

I'm really looking forward to it as well

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 05 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm

I like the look of this fight - it's gone a bit under the radar. Both can bang a bit, both can hit the floor. I'm not sure about the outcome - Quillin was overweight against Lee and although he made 159 I am not convinced that he isn't still struggling with the weight class. If this isn't the case, then I see Quillin pulling through with this one. If he is having weight issues, then potentially Jacobs gets to Quillin and stops him.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 05 Dec 2015, 2:40 pm

It's a decent match-up (another one) in a supposed moribund division. I've not seen enough of either to make a call - let's hope there's an impressive winner.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sat 05 Dec 2015, 2:48 pm

Great story and interesting match up

Both of hem carry power, Jacobs is probably the slightly better 1 punch guy but quillin is bigger and probably physically stronger than Jacobs so evens out.

Likewise boxing ability not much in it, both can box and both can go to war, not a lot in it

Could be down to who can take the power better.

Don't really rate quilli that much so gonna go with Jacobs by KO in a good close fight
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sat 05 Dec 2015, 2:59 pm

Don't know that much about either but I still have my box nation subscription so it's on to record. Jacobs story is an interesting one though, I'm hoping for a barnstormer.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 05 Dec 2015, 7:47 pm

Jacobs gets dropped as well so could be an up and down FPTY candidate I feel.

What time is this on?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 05 Dec 2015, 8:36 pm

hazharrison wrote:It's a decent match-up (another one) in a supposed moribund division. I've not seen enough of either to make a call - let's hope there's an impressive winner.

You can have good match-ups between ordinary fighters. Generally, what people have said is that (golovkin aside - and assuming cotto and Alvarez won't actually fight at middle), there's a dearth of talent in the middleweight division. Do you think otherwise? Notwithstanding that you haven't seen much of these two?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 05 Dec 2015, 10:23 pm

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:It's a decent match-up (another one) in a supposed moribund division. I've not seen enough of either to make a call - let's hope there's an impressive winner.

You can have good match-ups between ordinary fighters. Generally, what people have said is that (golovkin aside - and assuming cotto and Alvarez won't actually fight at middle), there's a dearth of talent in the middleweight division. Do you think otherwise? Notwithstanding that you haven't seen much of these two?

Really? We'll blow me....

I think middleweight's in Ok shape: Alvarez, Golovkin, Lee, Quillin, Jacobs, Lemiuex etc. and the likes of Eubank, Saunders, Wade, Murata coming through.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 05 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm

OK being the operative word, a bunch of well matched but not outstanding fighters; Wade for instance needed a gift to get past an ancient Soliman.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 06 Dec 2015, 12:02 am

hazharrison wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:U:D It's a decent match-up (another one) in a supposed moribund division. I've not seen enough of either to make a call - let's hope there's an impressive winner.

I think middleweight's in Ok shape: Alvarez, Golovkin, Lee, Quillin, Jacobs, Lemiuex etc. and the likes of Eubank, Saunders, Wade, Murata coming through.

Thanks for the offer, but you're not my type.

You think Alvarez is a plodder, but he's not seemingly prepared to actually fight at 160 and after golovkin he's the pick of the bunch. Lack of genuine quality for me, but there's a few bangers in there which makes for a bit of unpredictability..

Haven't seen much of Jacobs myself, though I did see His only loss... Shame pirog got crocked training for golovkin... that would have interesting.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 6:17 am

Has anyone seen the fight yet? Thoughts on the stoppage, probably could have been allowed to continue but had been bullied for a bit before that and the ref probably saved him from taking more punishment.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 06 Dec 2015, 7:11 am

PaulHv2 wrote:Has anyone seen the fight yet? Thoughts on the stoppage, probably could have been allowed to continue but had been bullied for a bit before that and the ref probably saved him from taking more punishment.

No problem with the stoppage - Quillin was gone. Sensational win for Jacobs who mentioned facing Eubank next (if he beats Spike O'Sullivan - another good match-up).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 06 Dec 2015, 7:27 am

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:U:D It's a decent match-up (another one) in a supposed moribund division. I've not seen enough of either to make a call - let's hope there's an impressive winner.

Thanks for the offer, but you're not my type.

You think Alvarez is a plodder, but he's not seemingly prepared to actually fight at 160 and after golovkin he's the pick of the bunch. Lack of genuine quality for me, but there's a few bangers in there which makes for a bit of unpredictability..

Haven't seen much of Jacobs myself, though I did see His only loss... Shame pirog got crocked training for golovkin... that would have interesting.

Alvarez and Golovkin is probably the biggest fight in boxing and after that there are competitive fights to be had: Lee vs Saunders, Eubank vs O'Sullivan are on deck. Jacobs vs Eubank would be interesting. Britain has Blackwell and Langford coming up the ranks. Wade may have looked poor against Soliman (who doesn't?) but he's unbeaten and he'll improve. Murata is an Olympic gold medallist who Top Rank may push quickly.

Kicks the ar se off 154 and with Ward and Froch gone, looks more exciting than 168.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 06 Dec 2015, 9:08 am

Stoppage looked a little awkward as the ref seemed to hesitate and then jump in. Quillin looked on his way out though, would have done well to make it through the round.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 06 Dec 2015, 9:47 am

Jeez this Jacobs must be pretty special if he knocked out a guy GGG curved
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 06 Dec 2015, 9:48 am

Jeez this Jacobs must be pretty special if he knocked out a guy GGG curved
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 9:57 am

Well I got that badly wrong proves I don't know jack

Well done Jacobs super shot great stoppage if the ref hadn't got in the way Jacobs would have finished him and seriously hurt him

Great win hats off to the ref as well

So happy for him and great post fight

Jacobs the new number 2

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 06 Dec 2015, 10:22 am

Looked a bit early to me, he was fighting back and wasn't taking too many clean shots.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 06 Dec 2015, 10:42 am

Think it was a bit early, yes quillin was taking quite a lot but only the last shot really hurt him and he didn't actually hit the floor, thought he was going to be given a standing 8 count at least .

Not an awful stoppage but a premature one imo, he's already standing give him the 8 count then see how he is
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 06 Dec 2015, 10:46 am

There's no standing 8 count in championship fights.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Dec 2015, 11:25 am

He may not have hit the floor but his legs were over the place, thats not a good sign, I think the ref made the right decision and he was able to look into Quillins eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 11:32 am

Would you rather him take a free shot with no protection??

I swear it's a.premature stoppage unless they go out on a stretcher

Couldn't give a standing 8 and the ropes didn't keep him up

Quillin wasn't even aware enough to take a knee

You must know how hurt fighters get when they take a free shot

Pacquiaio nearly got koed by barrera with a free shot after break

Ortiz got flattened after mayweather wacked him

It's very very dangerous

Quillins hands aren't even up

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 06 Dec 2015, 11:42 am

It's boxing, there are risks involved, try to eliminate them completely and you're left with a tickling contest.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 12:14 pm

There is eliminating risks and being a complete fool

The ref says protect yourselves at all times

If you cant do that then it's their job to stop it

I wonder if it would be the same if it was the 8th round

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 06 Dec 2015, 12:16 pm

Ref gave him a good look over - he obviously saw something the armchair tough guys couldn't. It's worth noting that Quillin didn't offer any resistance.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Dec 2015, 12:17 pm

Apparently after watching the replay Quillin agreed with the stoppage!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 06 Dec 2015, 12:18 pm

Quillin got caught flush in the temple twice, his legs weren't under him and he was glassy eyed. We've seen fights stopped before when fighters have been knocked down a few times but still had their wits about them, well, Quillin was on his feet but in serious danger.

The ref clearly thought Quillin couldn't defend himself and you can totally see his logic. The only thing that makes it controversial is the fact Quillin didn't touch down. He was in much worse shape then Groves was in his 1st match with Froch for example.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 06 Dec 2015, 12:21 pm

Incapable of making a post without a sly dig/insult in there I see then Haz.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm

I think it was a good stoppage, the ref waved his arms and Quillin didnt seem to notice that which says to me he couldnt defend himself

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 06 Dec 2015, 4:11 pm

A good stoppage. Quillin was all over the place. No way could he come back from that temple shot.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 06 Dec 2015, 4:13 pm

Yeah Quillen was out of it. Nice to see a well timed stoppage.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 6:01 pm

Quillin is that complete loser...like Kirkland Laing who when he's flat broke a few years from now will wonder why he didn't commit himself to 5 hard years of dedication...

Hopefully it's good riddance to bad rubbish.

Bad stoppage though

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 06 Dec 2015, 6:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Quillin is that complete loser...like Kirkland Laing who when he's flat broke a few years from now will wonder why he didn't commit himself to 5 hard years of dedication...

Hopefully it's good riddance to bad rubbish.

That's a bit harsh mate. He's a very skillful fighter and had never been beat. He's made some mistakes but I think he can comeback from this. He may have to move up to Super Middle because Middle is a little too hot at the moment.
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 06 Dec 2015, 6:07 pm

Not harsh at all....Lacks commitment. .

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 06 Dec 2015, 6:20 pm

Strange to think quillin is already 32

Think truss might be right dunno what it is about him but he never seemed to be a proper fighter the way he acted
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Dec 2015, 9:57 am

Glad the ducking bum got spanked.

Should've taken that massive pay day when it was on offer. Might wanna sue his promoters for getting him to turn that one down.....nobody gives a sh!t about him now (hopefully).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by erudito Mon 07 Dec 2015, 2:47 pm

I hadn't seen Kid Chocolate prior to the Andy Lee fight and my impression was, given he went life and death with Lee, that at best he was a gatekeeper at World level with questionable whiskers and stamina. I'm surprised Jacobs steamed through him so quickly though. What stood out for me about Kid Chocolate was;
1) The initial shots that had him at queer street didn't seem that strong
2) He doesn't have survival instincts thus justifying the ref's stoppage

Jacobs is good but has been carefully matched since returning to boxing and I doubt he'll be thrown in with GGG next fight.

erudito

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm

He caught him early and Quillin should have tied him up.....It can happen to anybody...Though i'm happy it happened to Quill.

Like Shawn Porter one fight can lead to over rating a guy...

Simmer down or the Russian boy may find other reasons to stay in his comfort zone..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Dec 2015, 2:53 pm

He got caught on the temple, it doesn't need to be a hard punch to have you on queer street, nor if you get hit behind the ear.

Back to top Go down

Post by erudito Mon 07 Dec 2015, 3:43 pm

Fair point sohotnot, but going from the fight against Lee he didn't seem especially durable then either.

Trussman66, I would love to see Jacobs in against GGG next but I can imagine like Stevenson at LHW there will be a reluctance on the part of his handlers to feed him to the wolves.

erudito

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Dec 2015, 4:07 pm

Of course...Heaven forbid anybody decent ever faces the guy.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm

erudito wrote:Fair point sohotnot, but going from the fight against Lee he didn't seem especially durable then either.

Trussman66, I would love to see Jacobs in against GGG next but I can imagine like Stevenson at LHW there will be a reluctance on the part of his handlers to feed him to the wolves.

DFTT

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by erudito Mon 07 Dec 2015, 4:43 pm

Which guy are you referring to Trussman66? Ultimately as a boxing fan I would love to see Jacobs in with GGG. The reality is the schism between HBO/Golden Boy and Al Haymon/Showtime will only get bigger unless the dollar signs are big enough to force them to work together

erudito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down