The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what next for campbell

+8
hazharrison
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
CallMeBenji
catchweight
themadworldofjb
Derbymanc
milkyboy
12 posters

Go down

what next for campbell Empty what next for campbell

Post by milkyboy Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:22 am

Was out on Saturday so didn't see the fight. Not that i'd have bought it anyway. Bit of a shocker this one though.

On looking at Mendy's record, he looked a light puncher who'd never been stopped and... apart from a journeyman that he fought three times and couldn't beat... his only defeats were to postol and tatli, and he was at least competitive in those fights. On paper he looked like a durable competent opponent that would be a good test for where campbell is at, without having the power or ability to be a real threat. You can see why eddie made the fight. There'll be some soul searching going on with boxer and promoter.

So... how hurt was campbell? Was it a style he couldn't come to grips with? Or, has he just had some limitations exposed. Will it be something he can look back on as a learning fight, make adjustments come back better? Or has he just had his level identified for him?

Given there is no current distinction between Brit level and world level, there's no real option to 'drop down a level and regroup'... what next for campbell?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

what next for campbell Empty Re: what next for campbell

Post by Derbymanc Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:41 am

Think he can come back stronger and just needs to look at where he went wrong. Don't think it helped with his corner telling him everything was okay and he was winning.

I'd look at either a rematch with Mendy or look along the Euro line for the moment. Still think he's got what it takes to be a world Champ (and the loss could do him the world of good) just needs to look at his technique and his punches (less of the pitter patter stuff)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 14 Dec 2015, 12:25 pm

Campbell should look at the British, Commonwealth, European route. Some great fights to be made there
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:17 pm

Lightweight is one of the best divisions in Britain. Loads of good fights in there for him. Hopefully Matchroom will stop worrying about making him a quick fix ppv attraction and just put him into some really good domestic match ups.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Mon 14 Dec 2015, 1:28 pm

The main concern with Campbell's work is that he doesn't have any kind of jab to speak of.

Mendy just walked forward because he didn't respect Campbell's power enough but he wasn't do anything special to get on the inside and work. If Campbell used his right hand to good effect and was fully extending it to use his height and reach advantage then that would have created more space between them and would create more openings. Instead he was trying to rattle of 3 punch combinations whilst Mendy was just tucking up and walking forward.

He needs to develop a jab which he can rely on when he isn't going to get an opponent of there (which based on the way he's punching at the moment might be more often than not). He definitely needs to sit down on his punches a bit more. The speed he possesses will allow him to do that and still react to what is coming back, provided that it's off the back of a decent jab.

P.s - I hadn't realised before this fight that he doesn't actually have any front teeth ! Hope that's not a sign of defensive flaws !

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:23 pm

Looking at the division in Britain (taking out Flanagan, Crolla and Matthews) there are some great fights to be made for Luke.

Cardle is British Champ, Gethin is good name to have, Mitchell and Burns will fancy it. Luke needs experience and those guys will give it to him. Theres some decent Commonwealth fights to be had as well.

Campbell can win those then a world title will be calling for him
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 14 Dec 2015, 7:57 pm

No doubt there's a load of fights out there for him.

Having not seen the Mendy fight I'm intrigued to see who thinks Campbell will now be a world champion. I suspect until Saturday most would have thought he was the pick of the Brit bunch. Do people see this as a blip or an indicator that he's just not as good as maybe we thought.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm

I had high hopes for Campbell but i've now had to re-evaluate him; the clear lack of power, jab and a porous defence is not a good combination, he's still very amateurish in how he punches. I can't think of a single puncher who wears Everlast, they tend to be for guys with hand trouble?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:50 pm

Amir Khan 2... Maybe? Showy combos that look great against boxers, but in trouble against decent pressure fighters he can't discourage? 

Hey bit early to be writing the poor lad off. It's just one fight. Let's hope he learns, adjusts comes back better for it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Dec 2015, 8:51 pm

The thing that makes me worry with Campbell is how committed he is to the sport. Not saying he does not train hard, but post Olympics he took about a year before turning pro to do Dancing On Ice, he hardly fights with much regularity even by modern standards. Also, whilst I would never criticise a kid for taking time off to be with his ill father it is all suggestive of someone who is not quite as committed to the sport as he perhaps needs to be to get to the top level. Don't think for a minute it will happen but I'd like to see him back in action quickly and really look to get a good number of fights in next year.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:04 pm

milkyboy wrote:Amir Khan 2... Maybe? Showy combos that look great against boxers, but in trouble against decent pressure fighters he can't discourage? 

Hey bit early to be writing the poor lad off. It's just one fight. Let's hope he learns, adjusts comes back better for it.

A loss at this stage of his career shouldn't really matter but as Rowley alluded to he doesn't fight often enough to iron out all the little issues. They chuck him in with a few cans next year that will teach him nothing when instead they should rematch Mendy.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 14 Dec 2015, 11:59 pm

Campbell can come back strongly from this. His matchmaking has been abysmal to date (how long did they dither over the Coyle fight?). His body punching was excellent late on - genuinely think his corner had him convinced he just needed to pick points down the stretch (he obviously needed more).

I still think he's special and will win a world title.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Dec 2015, 2:42 pm

Don't think he was ever going to be a world beater, doesn't mean he can't still make some decent money dominating the domestic scene though.

He's fast, but no Khan, and has ok but not great power. Now it looks like he doesn't have a strong chin either (not saying he's chinny).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:04 pm

Think the aforementioned personal issues and family matters outside the ring have had an effect on Campbell. Hope his dad goes on to make a full recovery and Luke can get his head straight. Think he's being running on emotion for a while which has now taken it's toll and he needs to recharge the batteries. To a degree, I think this is what Groves is also suffering from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:25 pm

I think he overlooked Mendy and didn't do his research. The bookies had him 1/33 on with Mendy a whopping 10/1 for the win. Am sure a few of the boxing consseurs would have been all over that. I didn't like the way he still thought he won the fight just because the one judge shadded it towards him. I think once he watches that fight back he will realise Mendy haustled him fight out of him.

Am sure he will come back and make the neccesary adjustments. Loosing his '0' will probably be a good thing in the long run.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:37 pm

I'm not convinced he'll have the stomach for it after this.

My dad has spoken to his wife a number of times since his Olympic win and I know she never wanted him to turn pro and at one point he was seriously thinking about not going that route at all.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 16 Dec 2015, 9:10 am

Unfortunately at a decent level you need a punch with substance if not you need to be an awkward so and so, he doesn't seem to have either of these. He may pick up a strap (its not as difficult anymore) however I'd be extremely surprised if he bothers the top of the tree guys.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down