The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December

+12
Chunky Norwich
Geordie
pledgeX
Cyril
nathan
WELL-PAST-IT
B91212
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
Scottrf
yappysnap
George Carlin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December Empty Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:37 am

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December Saints10                  Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December Racing11
Northampton Saints Racing 92
Friday 18 December 2015
KO: 19:45
Franklin's Gardens, Northampton

Live on BT Sport / beIN Sports

Referee Nigel Owens (Wales)
Touch Judge 1 Gwyn Morris (Wales)
Touch Judge 2 Wayne Davies (Wales)
Fourth Official Gareth Copsey (England)
TMO Derek Bevan (Wales)
Assessor Patrick Thomas (France)
Citing Commissioner Douglas Hunter (Scotland)

A. Head to Head

3 Played 3
0 Wins 3
3 Losses 0
0 Draws 0
22 Points 85

B. Recent Form

12 December 2015
Racing 92 33 - 3 Saints

C. Teams

Northampton Saints
Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December Shoes10
Foden; Tuala, G Pisi, Burrell, North; Myler, Dickson (c); A Waller, Haywood, Brookes, Lawes, Matfield, Gibson, Harrison, Dickinson.

Replacements: Williams, E Waller, Hill, Day, Paterson, Fotuali'i, Hanrahan, Elliott

Racing 92
Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December High_h10
Dulin; Rokocoko, Laulala, Chavancy, Imhoff; Carter, Phillips; Ben Arous, Szarzewski (c), Tameifuna, Van Der Merwe, Lauret, Nyanga, Masoe.

Replacements: Chat, Brugnaut, Gomes Sa, Carizza, Claassen, Machenaud, Goosen, Andreu.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December

Post by George Carlin Thu 17 Dec 2015, 6:07 am

Let's see if the offy preview will rouse any interest at all in this match:

PREVIEW: North counting on home support

George North is backing the Franklin's Gardens roar to help Northampton Saints get back to winning ways in the Champions Cup.

After a blistering start with wins over the Scarlets and Glasgow Warriors North's side came crashing down to earth in Paris in a five try, 33-3 defeat by a Dan Carter inspired Racing 92. That made it two from two for the Top 14 side and if they can add a third successive win in Northampton they will be in the box seat in Pool 3.

"The support that we get at Franklin's Gardens is massive for us and it inspires us to go again. We've got to front up on Friday night and get the job done," North told SaintsTV.

"The boys want to rectify what happened last weekend. The standard that the French teams have is tough to step up to, but we've been looking forward to the return fixture.

"Racing 92 are a big team full of stars - they have so much quality they have two or three sides to pick from. It is one of those where we need to deal with it and adapt."

The big-spending Frenchmen did the double over Saints last season and won't fear returning to Franklin's Gardens having won there 32-8 in the final round of pool matches. And with Carter now in their ranks they have a world class talisman to run the show from No 10 and provide the most prodigious kicking boot the game has ever known.

Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinder will have George Pisi and Jon Fisher back in contention for a place in the side this week and could also be able to consider New Zealand utility back James Wilson, who is back from a long term injury.

While Saints skipper Lee Dickson joined Mallinder in claiming the final scoreline didn't accurately reflect what went on in the game, the two men both know there is no margin for error at home. Racing 92 will also be expecting a different challenge.

"We are not getting carried away, it was an important win for us, and we took our chances clinically, but there are things we have to work on ahead of the return game in Northampton. We were not composed enough at times and we know how tough it will be at their place," said scrum half Mike Phillips.

The Wales an British & Irish Lions No 9 stepped down from international rugby last week and seemed to have a point to prove in his first start since the World Cup - and his first game in tandem with Carter. It's not often that a 99 times capped player passes the ball to someone who has won 112!

"Dan was superb all through last week, a world-class player who is only going to get better each training session and every game. His presence here is great for the club and the squad," added Phillips.

"He is a quick learner and looked as if he had been here for a long time, but he knows it is all about the team."

Match Facts

• Racing 92 remain undefeated in three matches against Northampton Saints after a 33-3 victory in their round 3 encounter last weekend.
  • Northampton Saints have lost their last four Champions Cup games against French opposition, these defeats coming by an average scoreline of 31-7.
  • Racing 92 have won seven and drawn one of their last nine matches in the Champions Cup, losing only once (by one point to Saracens in the opening round of this season).
  • Racing are undefeated in their last four matches away from home in the Champions Cup (W3, D1).
  • Northampton have made more metres from mauls (114) than any other side in the 2015/16 Champions Cup so far.
  • These two sides are two of just four teams that are yet to lose a scrum against the head.
  • Racing have the best defence in the competition so far, having conceded just 7.5 points per game.
  • Racing have won three and lost two of five away games against English opposition in the history of this competition.
  • Northampton's tally of just three points last weekend was their lowest ever match score in a European fixture.
  • Two of Racing's biggest wins in Champions Cup history have come against Northampton, with their 30 point margin of victory last weekend only being bettered by a 53-7 win over Treviso in January.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Racing 92, 18 December

Post by yappysnap Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:09 am

Those stats say to me that if Saints can't physically dominate a side at the scrum and lineout, then they have no clue how to beat them. And that keeps happening against the monster French teams.

Unless Racing come in to this game massively off the pace then I can't see anything other then a home loss. Saints just haven't looked like a top Euro team this season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:36 am

Mike Phillips actually described Dan Carter as "a quick learner".

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

I love it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:09 am

Can't we just skip this game?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:29 am

I can see this one being a lot closer. French teams don't travel well, particularly in December. Add in Saints generally perform well at the Gardens and will be fired up after the humiliating scoreline from last week.

Saints win but Racing get the losing bonus point.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:40 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I can see this one being a lot closer. French teams don't travel well, particularly in December. Add in Saints generally perform well at the Gardens and will be fired up after the humiliating scoreline from last week.

Saints win but Racing get the losing bonus point.
Our home form this season has been poor though.

Scarlets a close win in an awful game, loss to Saracens, and a comfortable but error ridden performance against Gloucester (who we put 8 tries past in the same fixture the previous year). We have a strong pack (even with so many missing) but completely misfiring backs, it's not good enough.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:13 pm

Saints have started very poorly by their recent standards but I think they'll find their feet.

Alex King having his head turned by England probably isn't helping matters with the backline.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:38 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Saints have started very poorly by their recent standards but I think they'll find their feet.

Alex King having his head turned by England probably isn't helping matters with the backline.
Since January?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

Ha very good. Might be a good thing for Saints though their backline had a brief revival under King it has fallen away. Similar to his successor. Maybe Saints need to look again for an attack/backs coach anyway.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:12 pm

Saints usually bounce back from awful defeats well in these head to head matches.

Problem is their wins this season have been built on the back of dominant set-piece performances, and Racing looked to have the upper hand last week. The scoreline did flatter Racing I felt with the dreadful interception thrown by Matfield and two perfectly valid tries ruled out, so I can see a narrow win for the home team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:23 pm

Yes, I have a feeling that if Saints are within a score at half time, they will go on to close this out.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:39 pm

Teams are up-
Northampton Saints: Foden; Tuala, G Pisi, Burrell, North; Myler, Dickson (c); A Waller, Haywood, Brookes, Lawes, Matfield, Gibson, Harrison, Dickinson.
Replacements: Williams, E Waller, Hill, Day, Paterson, Fotuali'i, Hanrahan, Elliott

Racing Metro: Dulin; Rokocoko, Laulala, Chavancy, Imhoff; Carter, Phillips; Ben Arous, Szarzewski (c), Tameifuna, Van Der Merwe, Lauret, Nyanga, Masoe.
Replacements: Chat, Brugnaut, Gomes Sa, Carizza, Claassen, Machenaud, Goosen, Andreu.

Back row still an issue with no Wood or Clark (and Monoa not replaced until next season). Racing obviously taking it seriously by naming same first 15 away from home. Agree with yappy, unless Saints get set piece advantage, which is doubtful, then I think they will find it hard. Depends on how well Racing travel I guess.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:36 pm

Saints backrow just looks so 'meh' add to that Dicksons poor form and they'll struggle again.

Myler, Burrell, Pisi is a much better combination though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:43 pm

Dickinson as a more than capable 8, I have no problems there, good to see Lawes back at lock, Harrison has been playing very well at OS.

I thought the Saints front row did well last week, the penalty count favoured them I believe. Who is the ref. last week the Racing pack were wheeling the scrum and not driving straight. Hopefully this will be addressed.

Myler will impose more control than Hanrahan and keep Saints in the right areas. Remember Saints had two good tries disallowed last week. Hopefully with home advantage and a decent ref and coms links that work we can do better, Matfield is playing again so having learnt his lesson (I hope) we should do better in the midfield battle and not gift interception tries ( why do forwards not look at who they are passing to ). It's a trait I see all the time in English rugby; I know he is a Saffer, but you see forwards pass into space they expect to be occupied, they rarely look. I was the same but that was the 70's, forwards were not expected to know how to pass more than 2 yards, the pop pass or offload were terms yet to be invented.

Saints by a whisker............................................I hope.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 17 Dec 2015, 9:48 pm

yappysnap wrote:Saints backrow just looks so 'meh' add to that Dicksons poor form and they'll struggle again.

Myler, Burrell, Pisi is a much better combination though.

Yappysnap, why?

Gibson has been MotM a couple of times lately, Dickinson has been playing well and Harrison is starting to show his potential as an out and out 7 or Pocock style 8 whenth ereplacemets come on.

Looking at the bench, two locks on the bench showing Saints injury list in the back row, Lawes is going to have to play the whole game if any of the back row are injured
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm

I just think the flankers are a step down from Wood and Clark, neither particularly great but both good club men. Dickinson is very good I have to admit, probably the best he's been.

Still good luck tomorrow gents, I hope you beat Racing.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 7:49 pm

Score predictions anyone?

I think it will be a racing win again by 7

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm

hmmm ,might have to change my mind.

Saints having a lot of possession in racings 22 and have a couple of turnovers already

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 7:58 pm

Dickson really is poo sometimes

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:01 pm

Dulin did a bit of a Stuart Hogg there!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:04 pm

yeah i agree, the French seem to do it more than most other countries though

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:06 pm

They do. Huget has probably been the worst recently.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:08 pm

who was the player that was pushed in near the throat and went down like a sack of spuds and acting like he couldn't breath

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:12 pm

nathan wrote:who was the player that was pushed in near the throat and went down like a sack of spuds and acting like he couldn't breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4Tq7f0xec

This one? Huget about 25 seconds in.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm

Decent first half start by Saints here. Racing making a fair few errors.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm

brooks looks injured from that service from the bottom of the ruck

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:15 pm

Cyril wrote:Dulin did a bit of a Stuart Hogg there!
His new nickname in Glasgow is Didier Hoggba.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:21 pm

Cyril wrote:
nathan wrote:who was the player that was pushed in near the throat and went down like a sack of spuds and acting like he couldn't breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4Tq7f0xec

This one? Huget about 25 seconds in.

No, there was a player that went down holding his throat like he couldn't breath. Cant seem to find the video though

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:22 pm

Saints attack this year has been so poor, whats happened with them

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:24 pm

Getting a bit stoppy-starty now.

It's really weird watching Phillips and Carter in the same side! Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:25 pm

found it!

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/01/2298/benoit-august-playacting-after-james-short-lashes-out-

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm

why didnt burrell pass it!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:30 pm

it seems Saints attacking plan is to see where the most racing players are lined up and attack them

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:36 pm

Saints pack are putting in a shift this week. Tiamana Harrison is having a great game turning ball over. Sadly the backs seem to have never met! Not doing Kings Eng prospects any favours, unless it's a cunning plan to keep him...

Oh and the okay acting by the Racing fb was very impressive! I genuinely believed there was a sniper in the stands.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:38 pm

nathan wrote:it seems Saints attacking plan is to see where the most racing players are lined up and attack them

Don't forget also running as upright as possible in to contact, and if your wing looks like he may have space best not give him the ball.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by pledgeX Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:39 pm

What have the Saints been up to this week in training? Half of the squad are sporting some fairly hefty shiners!

pledgeX

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:42 pm

Burrell is really not shining. The England centre spots are wide open and he is pushig himself further away from one of those spots.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:48 pm

pledgeX wrote:What have the Saints been up to this week in training? Half of the squad are sporting some fairly hefty shiners!
perhaps they borrowed a few training techniques from just over the county

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:50 pm

lol, Phillips has caught the bug of play acting

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:52 pm

haywood has a worse throw than t. youngs

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

with eddie watching i can't see many saints players doing themselves any justice

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 8:58 pm

they looked better just then when they put in some direct runners at holes instead of straight into a racing defender

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:06 pm

is there someone on a type writer that i can hear lol

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:15 pm

hmmmm, that racing number 18 could be in trouble. he made contact with the eye area

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:20 pm

why did foden kick it!! agh

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:21 pm

Score?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:22 pm

9-9

Saints attacking 5m scrum.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:25 pm

Who'd have thought getting your small guys to run into their big guys wouldn't work...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:27 pm

Saints' forwards and general pressure play has been pretty good and forced mistakes from Racing.

Attacking-wise they've been very mediocre.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next