The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too long a break?

4 posters

Go down

Too long a break? Empty Too long a break?

Post by lydian Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm

Djokovic is 'enjoying' a long break between his 4th round and SF match.
I read this in the Montreal Gazette and it got me thinking...

Gomez’s French Open vacation
(From L’Équipe)

There is precedent for the long break Novak Djokovic has had between his fourth-round win, and Friday’s semifinal against Roger Federer.
Back in 1990, Andre Gomez of Ecuador had three days off after Magnus Gustafsson of Sweden gave him a walkover in the quarterfinals.
Did he hit with an old guy (as Djokovic did with McEnroe, although he did practice off-site)?
Did he go for a rowboat ride on the lake in the Bois de Boulogne?
Nope.
He played a five-set practice match with Argentine Alberto Mancini.
And he won the tournament.

The match dynamic will be interesting given Fed is playing as uninhibited and free flowing as I've seen him for a long time.
Nadal summed the SF up interestingly when he said: "The best player of the world today against the best player in history".
But does the long break help or hinder Djokovic?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Too long a break? Empty Re: Too long a break?

Post by Positively 4th Street Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

Very succinctly summed up by Nadal. As discussed on another thread, a fascinating battle awaits. Enjoyed the Gomez story, for some reason it reminded me of two stories. First, the tale of Paul Gascoigne playing tennis in the midday sun during Italia '90 when he was supposed to be resting and secondly, that, when asked why he would get up early and run on the beach every day, Sir Stanley Matthews replied "Because no-one else does".

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

I think it is too long of a break, honestly it will feel like the first match of the tournament for Djokovic. Meanwhile Fed has been getting nice easy matches all the way through. You can't replicate match conditions and I think this will be a big disadvantage for him.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

The long break would be an advantage if Djoko had previously had any long matches or if Federer was coming out of a tough 5 setter, but in the current situation I do think the absence of a match for Djoko will work against him a little bit as he is out of match play practice.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down