The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth)

+10
Cardiff Dave
Seagultaf
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
BigTrevsbigmac
munkian
mikey_dragon
True Raven
eirebilly
bedfordwelsh
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth) Empty Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth)

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Jenkins, P James, Evans, Baldwin, Owens, Dee, Lee, Francis, Rh Jones, AWJ, Charteris, Davies, Ashley, Lydiate, Warburton, Tipuric, Moriarty, Faletau, King

G Davies, A Davies, Ll Williams, Biggar, Priestland, Roberts, JD, Allen, T Morgan, North, T James, Cuthbert, Amos, Anscombe Li Williams.

So if they are correct here's what my 23 against Ireland would be if all fit:

James Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris
Lydiate Faletau Warburton

G Davies Biggar

North Roberts JD Amos

Li Williams

Jenkins Owens Francis Davies Tipuric Ll Williams Amscombe Cuthbert
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth) Empty Re: Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth)

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 pm

I cant see how Cuthbert would make the overall squad let alone the match day squad. He is a truly awful defender and he is no longer the running force he once was.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth) Empty Re: Wales Squad According to WOL (For what they are worth)

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:12 pm

His defence his no worse than norths nor is his current form.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Am guessing his and Priestlands inclusion will spark the biggest debates along with Matthew Morgans exclusion.

I would most probably have gone for Thornton over Ashley.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:45 pm

If tipiric isn't picked to start, then it will be scandalous. I understand having to shoehorn in Liam Williams or Gareth anscombe as we have no real other alternatives of international class but tipuric is on fire and Sam hasn't played a game in weeks...id also pick James as loosehead as since coming home he's had a new lease of life and is playing to me as well as he ever has done for the ospreys

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Can't argue with you, Warburton and James get my votes but wouldn't be unhappy if Tipuric starts
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Ashley, A Davies - FFS come on picard

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:His defence his no worse than norths nor is his current form.  

So how often do you watch North play for the Saints? It really is about time you changed the Broken Record because you pretty much repeat the same comment on every Wales team thread.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:I cant see how Cuthbert would make the overall squad let alone the match day squad. He is a truly awful defender and he is no longer the running force he once was.

Criminal idea selecting him over Ashton Hewitt. That said I'm not entirely sure whether Dee has done enough to be in, especially with Lyn's selection policy further hampering his chances.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:23 pm

James Baldwin Francis
AWJ(c) Charteris
Lydiate Faletau Tipuric

G Davies Biggar
North Roberts JD Amos
Li Williams

Owens Evans Lee Davies Warburton Ll Williams Anscombe Allen

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Crazy for Hewitt to not be included, got the one of our most inform wingers.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:34 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:His defence his no worse than norths nor is his current form.  

So how often do you watch North play for the Saints? It really is about time you changed the Broken Record because you pretty much repeat the same comment on every Wales team thread.

Seen them live 6 times this season and every game he's missed easy one on one tackles a player of his size should make, but if you have seen them more then fair enough.

As for changing the record I will when he gives me reason to.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 pm

It's less than 3 weeks before the start of the 6Ns & Liam Williams has played no rugby since October surely he won't be fit/match fit for the Ireland game?
If so presumably Anscombe & then ? for cover

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Ashley, A Davies - FFS come on picard

Yeah not a fan of Ashley, think I would rather see Thornton in. I wonder if he will add Webb later or leave a space for him maybe.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:53 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Seen them live 6 times this season and every game he's missed easy one on one tackles a player of his size should make, but if you have seen them more then fair enough.

Do you live up that way? Just asking... I think you're exaggerating like you usually do. I haven't seen him often, but from I have seen he's been good enough to step back into his role for Wales. He had a strong world cup and I expect him to pick up where he left off. Likewise I would also expect Cuthbert, if selected to start on the other wing, to pick up where he left off as well - in comparison to North his form was atrocious. It's still pretty bad now and he was mostly ineffective today against Quins, running around like the big kid playing mini football.

No you should seriously change it. It's boring and I don't understand why you constantly pick on him. I could understand your frustrations against love child's like Priestland, but North? Come on.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:It's less than 3 weeks before the start of the 6Ns & Liam Williams has played no rugby since October surely he won't be fit/match fit for the Ireland game?
If so presumably Anscombe & then ? for cover

There's also Amos who could play at 15, he looked match fit in his first game back, so Liam Williams could be match fit by his first game too. Anscombe wouldn't be a bad choice, and it probably is likely he will put out what we did at the world cup. So that might be a back three of North, Amos and Anscombe with Priestland on the bench. I'm a bit worried about Ireland's backs because they have a lot of good options right now, but I think we can get them up front which is where most games are won.
We're certainly looking thin in the back 3 so it's unclear what combo Wales will have, I just hope it isn't Cuthbert.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:54 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Do you live up that way? Just asking... I think you're exaggerating like you usually do. I haven't seen him often, but from I have seen he's been good enough to step back into his role for Wales. He had a strong world cup and I expect him to pick up where he left off. Likewise I would also expect Cuthbert, if selected to start on the other wing, to pick up where he left off as well - in comparison to North his form was atrocious. It's still pretty bad now and he was mostly ineffective today against Quins, running around like the big kid playing mini football.

No you should seriously change it. It's boring and I don't understand why you constantly pick on him. I could understand your frustrations against love child's like Priestland, but North? Come on.

Yeah live in Bedford hence user name it's about 25 miles to Franklin Gardens and the nearest pro rugby team at the top level. Seen them fair bit last year not as much this due to work so base my opinion on that.

He still offers q big threat and Saints use him a lot as a decoy as well but I stand by the fact his defence is very poor.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:but I stand by the fact his defence is very poor.

It's not poor, it's fecking non existent. It's a shame really as a bloke of his size should be sending the fear of Hades into people.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 am

I wouldn't say it's very poor, that's Cuthbert.... and Stoddart in the old days (before he came good and broke his leg). North's defence certainly needs work though, like some other areas of his game.

Check out this George North guy though, he's powder puff in attack and defence like LD says laughing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K01QJefn62o

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 am

Ah good old Youtube, I could make a video of myself looking awesome as well. He burst onto the scene, with some massive performances in both attack and defence, he just seems to have lost his edge the more famous he got. He needs to get the eye of the tiger back, he just does not seem to want it as much anymore.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:26 am

If his defense was 'no existent' surely his tackle stats would be 0 ? For every game ?

Can't see Edwards or Voldemort being too happy with that..
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:56 am

Jenkins, P James, Evans, Baldwin, Owens, Dee, Lee, Francis, Rh Jones Aaron Jarvis, AWJ, Charteris, Davies, Ashley Rory Thornton, Lydiate, Warburton, Tipuric, Moriarty, Faletau, King

G Davies, A Davies Rhys Webb, Ll Williams, Biggar, Priestland, Roberts, JD, Allen, T Morgan Ashton Hewitt, North, T James Matthew Morgan, Cuthbert, Amos, Anscombe Li Williams Sam Davies.

That's what I would have expected.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

munkian wrote:If his defense was 'no existent' surely his tackle stats would be 0 ? For every game ?

Can't  see Edwards or Voldemort being too happy with that..

Yeah exactly. Look at the hits he is able to put in, you wouldn't see anything of the sort from a non-existent defender.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

I hope Rhys Webb isn't rushed back into the Welsh team. He needs to get a good few games under his belt with the Ospreys before being thrown into international rugby.

We rushed Liam Williams and Samson Lee into the World cup matches despite not having played in 6 months and they were pretty average its fair to say.

I'd be happy with G Davies and L Williams as backup.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:24 pm

It what ways am I always exaggerating MD, enlighten me please
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:but I stand by the fact his defence is very poor.

Well least I know am not only one who thinks that it's poor.

It's not poor, it's fecking non existent. It's a shame really as a bloke of his size should be sending the fear of Hades into people.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:33 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:It what ways am I always exaggerating MD, enlighten me please

You exaggerate his lack of defence on every team Wales thread.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:49 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Yeah not a fan of Ashley, think I would rather see Thornton in.  I wonder if he will add Webb later or leave a space for him maybe.

I have not seen enough of Ashley to make an informed opinion but in the games I have seen him he hasn't looked out of place but has been a bit anonymous.

On the other hand Aled Davies has been the form Welsh scrum half this season and he has been keeping World Cup hero Gareth Davies out of the Scarlets side. I would have him ahead of Lloyd Williams at present, who is always tidy at club level but has looked out of his depth at international level (apart from a cameo out of position on the wing). Webb will return, but if he does not get any game time until mid tournament, it could be on the summer tour.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 am

I cant see why more than two 9s are needed ? Davies and Brynmoor Jnr, shewerly ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

Here we go guys, a live link to the squad announcement so you can see the squad announced as it happens:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-six-nations-squad-announcement-10755037

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:13 am

Seagultaf wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Yeah not a fan of Ashley, think I would rather see Thornton in.  I wonder if he will add Webb later or leave a space for him maybe.

I have not seen enough of Ashley to make an informed opinion but in the games I have seen him he hasn't looked out of place but has been a bit anonymous.

On the other hand Aled Davies has been the form Welsh scrum half this season and he has been keeping World Cup hero Gareth Davies out of the Scarlets side. I would have him ahead of Lloyd Williams at present, who is always tidy at club level but has looked out of his depth at international level (apart from a cameo out of position on the wing). Webb will return, but if he does not get any game time until mid tournament, it could be on the summer tour.

It looks as if Ashley has been selected as a lock which is where he mostly plays at Ospreys, however to me he looks like more of a 6. The guy is an absolute workhorse but carrying hasn't been one of his strong points. I often feel that if Ospreys start with two proper locks then they would be better at defending a driving lineout.

As for your comments on Aled Davies, that has to be one of most ridiculous statements I've seen. He is too slow a passer of the ball and lacks pace which is what a No.9 should be best at. To say he is on better form than Lloyd Williams is simply incorrect and to me suggests that you haven't watched the Blues play much this season - actually surprised I got to that part of the post, I almost stopped reading when you insinuated that Aled is better than Gareth Davies! You should also note I said the same about Knoyle when he was being hyped up to the hills five years ago. Scarlets seems to have a thing for poor 9's, favouring them over actual good ones like Gareth Davies and Rhodri Williams.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:15 am

munkian wrote:I cant see why more than two 9s are needed ? Davies and Brynmoor Jnr, shewerly ?

You need three players in a specialist position, unless we have a Giteau type player that I don't know about.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:38 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:I cant see why more than two 9s are needed ? Davies and Brynmoor Jnr, shewerly ?

You need three players in a specialist position, unless we have a Giteau type player that I don't know about.

Thats going to leave the Turks a bit short at 9 then unless J Evans gets a call up from Bath
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:46 am

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Thats going to leave the Turks a bit short at 9 then unless J Evans gets a call up from Bath

They'll be short in the front and back row's too. Interesting call there on J Evans. He's probably still a superior scrum-half to A Davies, but I wouldn't pick either of them for Wales honours just yet.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 am

They wouldn't use a 'wild card' on him either.

I'm sure Mikey P would come back from retirement anyway, he'd love the attention.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:52 am

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Scrum half is about the only position the Turks don't have an injury crisis at present, Rhodri Williams is a very good player (apparently another Turk being targeted by the Ospreys) and I understand that there are some strong youngsters coming through. J Evans a very good 9 also, but he didn't get picked when at Newport so I can't see him getting a look in now he is at Bath.

Am I alone in seeing nothing in Lloyd Williams? He looks good on occasions for the Blues but has been poor at scrum half for Wales, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gareth and Aled fighting it out for the Wales starting role until Webb comes back.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:18 pm

No Lloyd Ashley but an even worse selection in Josh Turnbull!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Forwards:
Rob Evans (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (CAPT) (Cardiff Blues).
Backs:
Aled Davies (Scarlets) *, Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

https://www.606v2.com/t61881-wales-6-nations-squad#3251603

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:It what ways am I always exaggerating MD, enlighten me please

You exaggerate his lack of defence on every team Wales thread.

So because I am expressing an opinion which I feel is right but it goes against your opinion I am exaggerating?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Maybe you don't know what exaggerate means. You didn't even deny how you rubbish George on every thread either. Do you enjoy it or something?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Mikey Dregs loves a rumble about nowt it seems.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Mikey Dregs loves a rumble about nowt it seems.

Says the one who's rumbling 24/7 about the names of Regions Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:15 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Mikey Dregs loves a rumble about nowt it seems.

Says the one who's rumbling 24/7 about the names of Regions Wink.

QED.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:17 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Maybe you don't know what exaggerate means. You didn't even deny how you rubbish George on every thread either. Do you enjoy it or something?

Not at all I just give my opinion that I think is defence is shocking even more so for a guy of his size. Some people put him on a pedestal etc whilst I don't.

If he can regain his best form then I admit he is a great attacking threat but that doesn't change the fact about his defence.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:41 pm

I refer you to the clip I posted - a guy that can put in those hits doesn't come across as a shocking defender. It wasn't the best in 2014 I admit but I think he's long been regaining his form and seemed to get better with each game at the world cup.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:39 am

mikey_dragon wrote:No Lloyd Ashley but an even worse selection in Josh Turnbull!

Just dont get it….picking him now and then, he never produces he gets shelved, its like the Shingler effect.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:00 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't rate Turnbull.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:25 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't rate Turnbull.

I blame Scrum V - they used to cream over Turnbull
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 am

I've seen Turnbull have a good half of the season here, and another half a couple years later, spanning over like 6 seasons!

Scrum V always cream over Blues players, Phil Davies and Martyn Williams predominantly lead the creaming. Cringe.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:46 am

I think Turnbull has played well. I don't see his inclusion as an issue

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next