The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January

+9
brennomac
Don Blues
True Raven
Marshes
maestegmafia
Seagultaf
VinceWLB
ScarletSpiderman
George Carlin
13 posters

Go down

Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January Empty Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Jan 2016, 8:49 am

Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January Connac12           Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January Scarle10
Connacht Rugby v Scarlets
Saturday 30 January 2016
KO: 15:00
The Sportsground, Galway

Live on Sky Sports

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 16th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Gary Conway, Eddie Hagan O'Connell (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: John Cole (IRFU)
TMO: Dermot Moloney (IRFU)

A. Head to Head

25 Played 25
7 Wins 17
17 Losses 7
1 Draws 1
439 Points 642

B. Form

Sun 10 January 2016
Scarlets 21 - 19 Connacht Rugby

Sun 15 February 2015
Scarlets 32 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sat 29 November 2014
Connacht Rugby 14 - 8 Scarlets

C. Teams

Connacht Rugby
Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January Jade_y10
15 Tiernan O'Halloran, 14 Danie Poolman, 13 Robbie Henshaw, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 Matt Healy, 10 Jack Carty, 9 Caolin Blade, 1 Denis Buckley, 2 Tom McCartney, 3 Finlay Bealham, 4 George Naoupu, 5 Aly Muldowney, 6 John Muldoon (captain), 7 Jake Heenan, 8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements: 16 Dave Heffernan, 17 Ronan Loughney, 18 Rodney Ah You, 19 Ultan Dillane, 20 James Connolly, 21 Ian Porter, 22 Craig Ronaldson, 23 Rory Parata

Scarlets
Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January Emma_j11
15 Liam Williams, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Hadleigh Parkes (captain), 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Rhodri Williams, 1 Phil John, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 Rhodri Jones, 4 Tom Price, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Will Boyde, 8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: 16 Kirby Myhill, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Peter Edwards, 19 Jack Jones, 20 Tom Phillips, 21 Connor Lloyd, 22 Steven Shingler, 23 Michael Collins

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January Empty Re: Connacht v Scarlets, 30 January

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jan 2016, 7:54 am

Scarlets are right down to the bare bones in a few positions now. I would expect a side looking along the lines of:

Li Williams (or Collins), T Williams, Parkes, King, DaiTH, A Thomas, Rh Williams;
D Evans, Elias, Rh Jones, T Price, Rawlins, Shingler Snr, Boyde, Allen
(Reps: K Myhill, P John, Leung, Payne, T Phillips; K Hardy, Shingler Jnr, Li Williams/Collins).

I think the starting side will be pushed hard to stay on the pitch as long as possible before we look to the bench, unless we pick up knocks. Also expecting to see at least one yellow for collapsing a nails, and probably another one for s dangerous tackle/pro foul at the ruck.

Can't see past a Connacht no win, with the Scarlets fighting hard to try an sneak a lbp.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 29 Jan 2016, 5:33 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets are right down to the bare bones in a few positions now.  I would expect a side looking along the lines of:

Li Williams (or Collins), T Williams, Parkes, King, DaiTH, A Thomas, Rh Williams;
(Reps: K Myhill, P John, Leung, Payne, T Phillips; K Hardy, Shingler Jnr, Li Williams/Collins).

I think the starting side will be pushed hard to stay on the pitch as long as possible before we look to the bench, unless we pick up knocks.  Also expecting to see at least one yellow for collapsing a nails, and probably another one for s dangerous tackle/pro foul at the ruck.

Can't see past a Connacht no win, with the Scarlets fighting hard to try an sneak a lbp.

I see Paulino isn't in the team as he has been rightly banned, that saves you from one guaranteed yellow. That 2nd row pairing is probably the lightest i have ever seen in a pro 12 game so you are probably right about a yellow coming from a collapsed maul:

15 Liam Williams, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Hadleigh Parkes (captain), 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Rhodri Williams, 1 Phil John, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 Rhodri Jones, 4 Tom Price, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Will Boyde, 8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: 16 Kirby Myhill, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Peter Edwards, 19 Jack Jones, 20 Tom Phillips, 21 Connor Lloyd, 22 Steven Shingler, 23 Michael Collins

On the Connacht front, no particular surprises apart from the selection of Bealham for Ah You (who must be paying the price for having signed for Ulster) and Naoupu for Dillane who has been playing greatly this season. As expected Henshaw is back which is a massive boost to the home side:

15 Tiernan O'Halloran, 14 Danie Poolman, 13 Robbie Henshaw, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 Matt Healy, 10 Jack Carty, 9 Caolin Blade, 1 Denis Buckley, 2 Tom McCartney, 3 Finlay Bealham, 4 George Naoupu, 5 Aly Muldowney, 6 John Muldoon (captain), 7 Jake Heenan, 8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements: 16 Dave Heffernan, 17 Ronan Loughney, 18 Rodney Ah You, 19 Ultan Dillane, 20 James Connolly, 21 Ian Porter, 22 Craig Ronaldson, 23 Rory Parata

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 30 Jan 2016, 11:43 am

VinceWLB wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets are right down to the bare bones in a few positions now.  I would expect a side looking along the lines of:

I think the starting side will be pushed hard to stay on the pitch as long as possible before we look to the bench, unless we pick up knocks.  Also expecting to see at least one yellow for collapsing a nails, and probably another one for s dangerous tackle/pro foul at the ruck.

I see Paulino isn't in the team as he has been rightly banned, that saves you from one guaranteed yellow. That 2nd row pairing is probably the lightest i have ever seen in a pro 12 game so you are probably right about a yellow coming from a collapsed maul:

On the Connacht front, no particular surprises apart from the selection of Bealham for Ah You (who must be paying the price for having signed for Ulster) and Naoupu for Dillane who has been playing greatly this season. As expected Henshaw is back which is a massive boost to the home side:

I thought that Paulino had been released and was no longer with the Region?

I agree that it will be tough for the Scarlets, Connacht is a side you would want to avoid during the international period.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:39 pm

Connacht are destroying Scarlets in the scrums

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:44 pm

Liam Williams looking ready for international duty lads.

Connacht need to start making more of the scrum dominance, Scarlets look real dangerous on the counter.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:45 pm

That'll do!

Jack Carty can't kick for toffee.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:47 pm

Connacht deserve their lead but I agree Scarlets look good for a few scores in open play. Unfortunately I think a yellow card will come against Scarlets at the next scrum

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:50 pm

Rhodri Jones got schooled in the scrum, such that he had to be subbed off before half time.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:55 pm

Scarlets pack looks very lightweight particularly second row without a lump like Ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:55 pm

Last scrum was probably a bit more to Scarlet's liking. Denis Buckley should be in the Six Nations squad, he is a monster.

Some real firepower in the backrow and backs for Scarlets if they can release them.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm

If that's how Rhodri Jones scrummages I hope he stays far away from the ospreys

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm

Marshes wrote:Last scrum was probably a bit more to Scarlet's liking. Denis Buckley should be in the Six Nations squad, he is a monster.

Some real firepower in the backrow and backs for Scarlets if they can release them.

I have been on record saying Denis Buckley is the best scrummaging loosehead in Ireland, this game certainly wont change my mind!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Blues Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:01 pm

True Raven wrote:If that's how Rhodri Jones scrummages I hope he stays far away from the ospreys

That's the problem with converting loose heads to tight heads, he'll never be a natural there and will always come off 2nd best against decent props.

The last scrum was a bit better for the Turks, hopefully Pete the meat will sort it out.

Don Blues

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

Ever since Danny Wilson left the scrum has never been as good as it was when he was coach. Cardiff have a gem

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:08 pm

Jesus total capitulation from Connacht.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm

Elias is a big boy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:18 pm

Connacht lucky to have the pressure alleviated by Scarlets indiscipline

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Blues Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:31 pm

O dear scrum has gone again after parity for a while. Game over

Don Blues

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:33 pm

Marshes wrote:Jesus total capitulation from Connacht.

Ahem!

Total capitulation by somebody

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:54 pm

Deserved winner Connacht, well played

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

This game showed what happen when you start with 2 lightweight locks.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:02 pm

Or the effect the six nations has on teams who contain a lot of internationals

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:03 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Deserved winner Connacht, well played

Game of missed opportunities I think for Scarlets, had some real periods where they looked very dangerous wiith ball in hand, the two yellow cards couldn't have come at a worse time. Not sure how you go about addressing the indiscipline while also still having so many injuries, what do ye need to do to turn the slump around you think?

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:06 pm

Yes Scarlets are missing four front five players to Wales and that would have made a big difference, plus the openside injury crisis.

Still there are positives. I though Liam Williams came through unscathed and looked keen to play.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm

True Raven wrote:Or the effect the six nations has on teams who contain a lot of internationals

And injuries. Definitely telling in the front row, I still would have expected the Connacht scrum to have the upper hand but not as definitively as that.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:09 pm

Connacht were missing their 1st choice tighthead too and Jake Ball is injured.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:10 pm

Connacht never really got the game going in open play, usually very good with ball in hand when at the Sportsground. Maybe the elements were telling, but that didn't seem to stop Scarlets. After the losing streak I think it was important to just get the win and the confidence back after a slump. Getting the BP and stopping Scarlets get theirs was a cherry on the cake.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Yes Scarlets are missing four front five players to Wales and that would have made a big difference, plus the openside injury crisis.

Still there are positives. I though Liam Williams came through unscathed and looked keen to play.

And now he won't play for them for two months.....Connacht definitely deserved the win though

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:13 pm

True Raven wrote:Or the effect the six nations has on teams who contain a lot of internationals

All teams lose international players now, the difference sits with the international coaches, not sure how many where released back to Connacht today but the only one playing for Scarlets was only there as a fitness test to see if he was ready to start next week.
Gatland may have a decent record for Wales but he restricts the Regions consistently, and when all is said and done, who has he actually beaten with some of the best Welsh players in generations?

The yellow card for Phil John today was incredibly harsh, the 1st time the Connacht pack took a backward step all game and Whitehouse cards the LH going forward?? I know I never played the game but I really don't get that one.

Last edited by 2ndtimeround on Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

Phil John got yellow carded for boring in for the second time, this did feel harsh at the time but Scarlets were due a yellow card for their scrummaging effort.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

Rhodri Jones has never been a great scrummager on either side. The decision to sign him up on a NDC was a baffling one. If he goes to Ospreys is he going there as a back-up LH or third choice TH?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:13 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Phil John got yellow carded for boring in for the second time, this did feel harsh at the time but Scarlets were due a yellow card for their scrummaging effort.

they were getting hammered in the scrum without doubt, clearly going backwards, but as they were going backwards most times, I guess I didn't realise it was against the rules to go back, I thought it was ok to either direction straight but not down, as far as I could see Phil Johns legs were straight?
Surely a pack moving sideways whilst going backwards is just as likely to be the defending hookers targeting 1 side as it is a prop driving in?

Sorry about all the question marks but this really is an aspect of the game I completely fail to understand with the way the officials call it, oh for an insight.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:17 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Rhodri Jones has never been a great scrummager on either side. The decision to sign him up on a NDC was a baffling one. If he goes to Ospreys is he going there as a back-up LH or third choice TH?

He was a very promising LH until Gatland asked him to change sides, just one more example of a career damaged. Still good around the field but never provides a threat in the set piece and is always going to be a liability against a set piece specialist.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 30 Jan 2016, 6:40 pm

Lam managed to get Connacht heads focused at just the right time in the season. This is normally the point when Connacht start to fall away after an initial burst. Their away games are still their nemesis. But joint top (40 points) at end of January for them - and indeed Scarlets - bodes well for getting into top six/playoffs.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 30 Jan 2016, 8:37 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Rhodri Jones has never been a great scrummager on either side. The decision to sign him up on a NDC was a baffling one. If he goes to Ospreys is he going there as a back-up LH or third choice TH?

He was a very promising LH until Gatland asked him to change sides, just one more example of a career damaged. Still good around the field but never provides a threat in the set piece and is always going to be a liability against a set piece specialist.

He was a very promising LH and just before he got injured (Xmas 2014) he was starting to look ok at TH. I guess the fact that Scarlets had two very lightweight locks today didn't help.

It would be a strange decision for him to go to the Sprays as they have Arhip, Jarvis and Fia at TH and James, Bevington and Smith at LH. Maybe it's just the usual greedy player agents trying to earn some commission?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 30 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm

Would this mean that the Os would have another NDC player?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down