The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
BamBam
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
TM Moot
Fernando
twelve283
Skyforger
liverbnz
Pr4wn
skins4ever
Lowlandbrit
mikeygnfl
Number-25
Breadvan
GSC
cherriesfna
Good Golly I'm Olly
21 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 18 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Time for Carolina to pull out some starters me thinks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 18 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Dallas are actually a better road team than home.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 18 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Tampa is a far better road team than home team. In our five game win streak we've beaten KC in Arrowhead.

Not saying we're going to pull it off for sure, but Tampa continues to be underrated.

Think they're rated about right - a good up and coming team making a push for the playoffs, but probably another good off season from challenging for top honours
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:59 pm

We've been widely predicted to lose each of our last five games, all of which we've won. I'm by no means saying we're going to win the SuperBowl but plenty are sleeping on Tampa.

I also think Dallas are massively overrated.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
GSC wrote:I don't see how Jeff Fisher can return next year.
What if he wins out for some 7-9 bs?

Word is that he's been fired.

Just after signing an extension.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:36 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Lowlandbrit wrote:
GSC wrote:I don't see how Jeff Fisher can return next year.
What if he wins out for some 7-9 bs?

Word is that he's been fired.

Just after signing an extension.

Confirmed. Rams organisation makes the Browns look solid!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:14 am

Finally, Fisher has gone! I've got no interest in whether or not the Rams are good, bad or indifferent but I've had little time for Fisher ever since his trashy stunt when he sent out the 6 players he drafted off the back of the RG3 trade to be team captains in a game against the Redskins when we were struggling through another difficult season. It was like he was some sort of coaching and personnel wizard when it all really highlighted was how much he failed to capitalise on Dan Snyder's most horrible error of judgement.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:57 pm

Last night's game ended up being pretty good. Brady just looks unstoppable.

Still don't think he should be eligible for MVP though.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Last night's game ended up being pretty good. Brady just looks unstoppable.

Still don't think he should be eligible for MVP though.

I kinda agree (assuming you mean cos he's played 12 games) but with other potential candidates not really standing out besides a disastrous end to the year I think he'll get it.

Should've won by many more last night really - best performance by the Pats this year so far imo. Just two ridiculous fumbles gifted Baltimore their only two TD's of the game. Our OL is so much better with Scarnecchia coaching, and for the first time in a while we have good RB depth. Defence is doing just fine, nowhere near where it currently ranks in stars good tho tbf.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:33 pm

I mean that a player that served a four game suspension for cheating should not be in the MVP talk, no matter how well he's played.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:24 am

In other news, Bruce Arians takes losing well
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:06 pm

MVP is a bit of a farcical award. If Brady gets it this year then it will simply be because he's Brady.

I agree in that I don't think there are any standout candidates this year. I mean, Matt Ryan is in the conversation and yet he has thrown for just 5 yards more than Kirk Cousins and his team is only half a game better off than Cousins'.... and Cousins has no Julio Jones to just chuck the ball up to. I certainly wouldn't make a case for Cousins being MVP.... so why Ryan? And why on earth Derek Carr who I saw mentioned the other day???

To be honest, Ezekiel Elliott is a better bet for it than any of the QBs. He leads the league in rushing, is third in TDs and plays on an offense that doesn't have a passing game that really scares anyone. He (and the offensive line) and the biggest reason that Dallas has the best record in the league just now.

If Arizona had won more games then David Johnson would surely have been a candidate.

Also, if we're talking Brady then why not Le'Veon Bell?? He's had a bigger impact on the Steelers' season since coming back from suspension than Brady has on the Patriots' who went 3-1 without him.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:16 pm

skins4ever wrote:London expands to 4 games. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop - welcome to your new franchise, the London Browns!
Ravens vs Jaguars, Saints vs Dolphins, Vikings vs Browns, Cardinals vs Rams. What a time to be alive.

And since he can't be long for this world, great Gus Bradley stat out there: his current winning percentage is lower than Belichick's would be if he kept coaching for the next four decades and lost every single game.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Cannot wait to see the Browns... #buzzing

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:07 pm

While I don't think Bradley is actually going to die, I reckon he's out after game 16. No point firing him now, a la the Rams, Khan is more patient than that. Wonder if he'll go to the unemployed ranks, college or poach a coordinator?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:21 am

Must read article from NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000757025/nfl-players-as-star-wars-characters

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Apparently Mike Smith is a top candidate for them.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Osweiler finally benched
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Osweiler finally benched

And the crowd tried to blow the roof off with the cheers...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:42 pm

There is literally no game the Jacksonville Jaguars cannot lose
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 am

skins4ever wrote:While I don't think Bradley is actually going to die, I reckon he's out after game 16. No point firing him now, a la the Rams, Khan is more patient than that. Wonder if he'll go to the unemployed ranks, college or poach a coordinator?

Well, I guess he couldn't wait 2 more weeks. Then again with the Rams looking I suppose he didn't want to be 2nd fiddle.

And unlikely as it would ordinarily seem, the Cowboys (and to a lesser extent the Giants) have done the Skins a favour this week. Destiny is in our own hands, though that last game against the Giants worries me a little as they are hitting their stride.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:36 am

Bradley will never be a head coach again. The last 4 years have been a disaster.

Will be interesting how much they try to force Bortles on their candidates in interviews
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Sounds like they wanna get someone in to fix Bortles

Pats are rolling - defence is playing much better recent weeks, and the OL is much improved. If Gronk was healthy I'd say we're nailed on to go through the AFC, but even without him we're favourites
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Bucs didn't look ready for primetime last night. Dallas a class above bar one flurry.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Their O line is just way too good, we just don't have the depth to compete with that yet.

And our starting right tackle being injured and replaced by an overweight turnstile didn't help either.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:21 am

Redskins now playing like and have a record that matches exactly what they are... average at best. Defense has some bright spots but overall is poor. Running game is poor to average and can't be counted on. It means everything rests on the passing and if Cousins has an off night, as he seems to be having more of lately, then the wheels come off completely.

This bad run down the stretch is costing Cousins money.... and who knows, possibly even a contract. Someone will pay him I'm sure... I wonder what the Redskins are starting to think though.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:39 am

No chance the Skins don't pay Cousins.

Not paying DeSean might be the straw that breaks the camel's back though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:59 am

Yeah, credit to DeSean he's making it difficult for the Redskins. I'd love for us to keep him. He's going to get paid again next year cos he still has plenty left in the tank and is still one of the mote dangerous WRs in the league. Find it hard to see though how the Redskins will manage it.

Cousins has been off the last few weeks. His numbers don't look too bad but he's not playing as well as he should be.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

Always thought Cousins numbers look a lot better than he does

Nick Foles syndrome
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:31 am

It's why I don't think they should pay him - product of the system/what's around him

Pay him 20m a year, you end up like Cincy this year having to let some guys go which then makes the QB look worse
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:07 pm

And replace him with who?

Got to have someone under center
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:15 pm

GSC wrote:And replace him with who?

Got to have someone under center

Try find someone in the draft is what I'd do.

Can they tag him again this year? If so I'd probably do that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18 pm

Yeah they can tag him again next year. Would prob cost them around $24m. Right now it's prob what I'd do cos we have a ton of cap space next season.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:48 pm

I agree on resigning Jackson and probably tagging Cousins. Make him play for a contract again. But I don't think we can afford to draft a QB high up as we have so many needs on D. I reckon they will actually sign him to a top 15 level contract so they can concentrate on D in the draft. I don't think McLoughan will get burnt in FA so we'll likely pick up 1 or 2 useful players then fill the other gaps in the draft. Garcon is the one I'm unsure about. He's pretty dependable and can clearly still play, but do we pursue a likely heavy contract on a 31 yo WR?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:47 am

Yeah, I'd like to keep Garcon too cos he has great hands, runs exquisite routes, is tough as nails and is good at blocking in the running game. He's not going to beat you deep anymore but if you're in a crucial 3rd down situation then it's Garcon or Reed that you want on the receiving end of a pass. Garcon keeps the chains moving.

Tough decisions for the Redskins this offseason... what to do with Cousins, Jackson and Garcon. I'd like all 3 back, but I wouldn't break the bank to do it cos there are plenty other needs. D-Line, MLB and both Safety positions are gaping needs and we need an upgrade for Lauvao at Guard... the running game is a real concern.

I have no doubt that whichever of the 2 WRs leaves will go on and be a significant contributor somewhere else and will no doubt come back and haunt us. It'll just be a numbers game in the end.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Sorry, I know it's another Redskins post but it's just an interesting wee nugget...

Redskins are 1-16 in Monday night games played at FedEx Field. How pitiful is that??

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Number-25 wrote:Sorry, I know it's another Redskins post but it's just an interesting wee nugget...

Redskins are 1-16 in Monday night games played at FedEx Field. How pitiful is that??

Yep. Never been to FedEx and heard it lacks atmosphere. Went to RFK once and it was fantastic. Skins need to reconnect with their fans more and make home field feel more like a fortress, but I don't think FedEx will ever encourage that kind of atmosphere.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:46 am

And the Giants put the truck in reverse and start backing into the playoffs...

Seriously, Manning has at times been a great QB, but they need to find his replacement and soon. OTOH, as a Skins fan, I'm quite happy to see them try a Denver with him!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 am

Lost season but always good to put one on the Giants
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Also we once again have the 2nd best points differential in the division and will finish last.

Is partly why I don't think the Giants or Skins are that far ahead of us. Need to convert some of those close losses to wins
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Eli out there throwing ducks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 pm

GSC wrote:Also we once again have the 2nd best points differential in the division and will finish last.

Is partly why I don't think the Giants or Skins are that far ahead of us. Need to convert some of those close losses to wins

Defence is sound, but you need a feature RB and 1 if not 2 deep threats. Problem you have is that everyone in the division may be looking for WR's this offseason (maybe with the exception of Dallas) so FA could be a bidding war, not to mention other divisions and a pretty thin FA WR group. OTOH most teams at the top of the draft have other needs, so a top prospect could easily fall to you.

I can see the Giants falling fast if Manning is on the cliff edge. They still don't have a running game and their passing offense is basically Cruz and Beckham. Finishing up in the playoffs may just hurt them in the draft.

Skins have to address the D in the offseason AND keep at least one of Garcon and Jackson. Luckily we have cap room, depending on what happens with Cousins, so hopefully a defensive draft class could turn the D around quickly. I almost don't want us to reach the playoffs so we can keep draft position...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:52 pm

Pederson and DeSean keep making eyes at each other. Lane being back makes a major difference in the run game. Brooks and Lane is about a strong run blocking duo as there is in the league, with Vaitai they have to game plan around him rather than it being a strength. Brooks also dealing with anxiety issues costing him a couple of games.

Smallwood and Barner can play but they need a better lead horse than Mathews. Looks like a strong crop this year. At WR they need to draft a possession type player. There's no deep threat or reliable target when Ertz vanishes before December.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:11 pm

None of your RB's puts defences on edge. In fact, the only scary back in the division is Elliot, though if the OL remember what run blocking is at least Kelley can ground and pound. Maybe brooks and Lane will develop, but generally RB's perform from the off or they are 2nd string/no good. Matt Jones is a good example of that.

I'd be surprised if the Skins don't re-sign DJax for exactly that reason - we had enough of playing against him before, let's not let it happen again. And given he's having something of a renaissance I'd be surprised if he was desperate to leave. Hopefully we've learnt from letting Morris go to the Cowboys...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Morris can't even crack Darren McFadden so I wouldn't be too upset.

Brooks and Lane are the right side of our OL Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Giants have been lucky this season with what turned out to be a very favourable schedule. For me, there isn't much, between them, the Redskins and Eagles. They're all on much the same footing. Each have their strengths but equally, they each have too many flaws. Fed up already of reading about how the Giants will be dangerous in the playoffs cos they've caught fire there before.... neglects the fact it was a different team with a different HC. Their offense stinks... the only team it has put up more than 20 points against recently was Cleveland! No-one is going to be scared of them in the playoffs.

There's zero chance the Redskins make the playoffs now BTW. No way they win both of their remaining games while both Tampa Bay and Green Bay each lose one of their remaining games. Redskins are in reverse gear now... they'll do well to beat Chicago tomorrow.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:54 pm

The Giants are like 8-3 in 1 score games, we're 1-6. That's the big difference.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Mariota carted off the field with his leg in an aircast

Praying it's not as serious as it seems - would be a horrible blow for him and the Titans long term
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Redskins heading for a win that will secure back to back winning seasons... I can't remember the last time we did that!

Futile in terms of this season though - Green Bay steaming toward the playoff 6th seed. Redskins passed up their playoff chance with anaemic efforts against Arizona and Carolina.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Jets just kicked a field goal on 4th and goal down 41-0

Nice coaching Todd
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:41 pm

I suppose it means they've avoided the shutout...

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next