The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 10

+22
sad_gimp
Cumbrian
George Carlin
Sgt_Pooly
doctor_grey
maverickmak
Welly
Bathman_in_London
kingelderfield
BigTrevsbigmac
nathan
Ozzy3213
WELL-PAST-IT
beshocked
Scottrf
ChequeredJersey
HongKongCherry
BamBam
Heaf
yappysnap
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
26 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 10 - Page 5 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 10

Post by LondonTiger Thu 28 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Round 10
Fri 29th 19:45 Northampton Saints  v   Wasps BT Sport

Sat 30th 14:30 Sale Sharks  v   London Irish
Sat 30th 15:00 Gloucester Rugby  v   Leicester Tigers
Sat 30th 15:15 Saracens  v   Bath Rugby BT Sport
Sun 31st 15:00 Newcastle Falcons v   Harlequins

Sun 31st 15:00 Worcester Warriors  v   Exeter Chiefs BT Sport

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 10 - Page 5 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 10

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

Well that was a thoroughly depressing round of rugby from a London Irish fan perspective. 10-12 at the break and once again capitulated in the 2nd half.

We need a massive performance this weekend at home, which is not beyond the realms of possibility as we've been ok at home recently and Worcester are actually in a far worse run of form than we are. We also need to hope Wasps find some consistency and tonk Falcons next week.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:05 am

I know how you feel Ozzy. Quins were 10-19 up and then just fell apart. Depressing doesn't cover it.

Saints this weekend will be easier though right?? At least they're without Brookes now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:06 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Exactly Yappy, it's a bit odd. I seem to recall COS saying this the last time we beat you.

I wonder what the teams views are on lower placed sides. Certainly seems like we came out just expecting to turn up and win. Not the first time we seem to have played like this. We really need to change that mindset if it is the case.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:13 am

Thanks for the attempt at solidarity yappy, but I'm not sure you're quite in the same boat that I am mate. Let me know what it's like up in the play off spots though, it's been a while for us and my memory is not what it was! Laugh

Genuinely, I think this weekends fixture for us may decide who goes down.

If we lose at home, we'll be 8 points behind Worcester, and anywhere between 3 and 8 points behind Falcons, depending on their result. Whilst that isn't quite 'cut adrift' territory, psychologically it will be really damaging for us, which along with what is now a really damaging injury list, will make it very difficult for us to come back.

On the flip side, if we beat Worcester, and they get nothing from the game, and Falcons failt to beat Wasps, we will go 10th, and that will be Worcester's 12th loss on the bounce. They are in free fall, and will be targeting this game against us to arrest that slide. If we beat them that could have a massive effect on them mentally, and you'd have to question where their next win would come from.

This game is huge, and we are not helped by the fact that we picked up 2 more significant injuries at the weekend. We are going to need some big men to stand up on Sunday.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:50 am

Guessing Trev is one Ozzy, but who is the other new injury?

The injury situation is getting a touch desperate now. Agree, re the game at the weekend, we just can't afford to lose it.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:59 am

We seem to be building a bit of confidence at the minute, well as much as you can get playing for Falcons. Bath & Quins turned over at our place, we just need to keep it up.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 8:40 am

Perhaps Deano focussed the conditioning and rotation on this part of the season for Falcons? Just do enough to stay close to the other sides and then go for it at 6N's time.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 8:42 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Thanks for the attempt at solidarity yappy, but I'm not sure you're quite in the same boat that I am mate.  Let me know what it's like up in the play off spots though, it's been a while for us and my memory is not what it was! Laugh

If we lose at home, we'll be 8 points behind Worcester, and anywhere between 3 and 8 points behind Falcons, depending on their result.  Whilst that isn't quite 'cut adrift' territory, psychologically it will be really damaging for us, which along with what is now a really damaging injury list, will make it very difficult for us to come back.

On the flip side, if we beat Worcester, and they get nothing from the game, and Falcons failt to beat Wasps, we will go 10th, and that will be Worcester's 12th loss on the bounce.  They are in free fall, and will be targeting this game against us to arrest that slide.  If we beat them that could have a massive effect on them mentally, and you'd have to question where their next win would come from.

This game is huge, and we are not helped by the fact that we picked up 2 more significant injuries at the weekend.  We are going to need some big men to stand up on Sunday.

If it helps then just remind yourself of this mate http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/8037917.stm

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 02 Feb 2016, 8:56 am

yappysnap wrote:Perhaps Deano focussed the conditioning and rotation on this part of the season for Falcons? Just do enough to stay close to the other sides and then go for it at 6N's time.

Well we keep hearing this little rumours about a horrific injury list all pre-season and also having WC players away just annihilating any kind of pre season work.

Maybe that is accurate and slowly we are getting players back and playing better as a consequence.

Who knows as we never hear about injuries from Dean himself.

One things for sure though Yappy. I certainly wont be getting carried away with the win. It was a pleasant result, but that's gone now and we focus on the next game.

I hold my hand up also...I wasn't happy with the Goode signing, but he showed what he brings. And it can only help young Willis etc having him there to work with.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:25 am

Goode is a quality player. He may look like he should be playing darts down the social club but his mindset is still 100% winner

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:39 am

Worry for falcons is we are their next visitor, and Goode has had a series of brainfarts when playing against us - almost as if he is trying too hard - which has resulted in cards and stuff. Most notable this challenge on Croft only a few minutes into the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcTUhblq3eI

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:45 am

Ah I no he's quality Yappy, but I just thought we should focus on our youngsters. But you need experience aswell...and Goode is top class. Willis and Catterick should enjoy this experience.

LT, We'll just come out and give it a go. If they do that and show real fight then I will stop criticising the lads as I have for much of the season.

Wasps next for us though...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 02 Feb 2016, 9:46 am

I am sure you will. My point really was that Goode will need to be calmed down.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:02 am

Ah yes, im sure Deano will do that. Also Willis will probably start with Goode coming on after the break.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:32 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Thanks for the attempt at solidarity yappy, but I'm not sure you're quite in the same boat that I am mate.  Let me know what it's like up in the play off spots though, it's been a while for us and my memory is not what it was! Laugh

If we lose at home, we'll be 8 points behind Worcester, and anywhere between 3 and 8 points behind Falcons, depending on their result.  Whilst that isn't quite 'cut adrift' territory, psychologically it will be really damaging for us, which along with what is now a really damaging injury list, will make it very difficult for us to come back.

On the flip side, if we beat Worcester, and they get nothing from the game, and Falcons failt to beat Wasps, we will go 10th, and that will be Worcester's 12th loss on the bounce.  They are in free fall, and will be targeting this game against us to arrest that slide.  If we beat them that could have a massive effect on them mentally, and you'd have to question where their next win would come from.

This game is huge, and we are not helped by the fact that we picked up 2 more significant injuries at the weekend.  We are going to need some big men to stand up on Sunday.

It's all those injuries that worry me - if we had anything like all the 1st choice players available I'd be confident, but we seem to have been decimated with one bit of bad news after another recently and then adding the 6N in just to make it even harder ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:32 pm

It's just something you need to deal with Heaf, we're all in a similar boat.

We've lost Sinoti, Tuilagi, Welsh, Furno, Thompson, Delany, Tiesi of most of which would start.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 02 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

I do remember certain LI fans being extremely sympathetic a few years ago when we were short of about 19 players who would have in a matchday 23 (injuries and international call-ups). Very Happy

Fact is though they were right back then. Injuries (and callups) are just something you have to cope with - though some understanding should always be offered when a team is badly hit and not delivering what they hope.

Right now we have a manageable level of injuries. For the visit of Sale we will be (probably) be missing:

First choice: TH, Second Row, BS, OS, SH, FH, OC

Bench: Hooker, Winger

Now that has an impact, but it is also why you build a squad. Thus the likes of Balmain and Barrow have done really well, while having a former British Lion like Croft available to slot in when you have injuries is great Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 02 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:It's just something you need to deal with Heaf, we're all in a similar boat.

We've lost Sinoti, Tuilagi, Welsh, Furno, Thompson, Delany, Tiesi of most of which would start.

Yep I understand - but it doesn't stop me worrying when I look at who's been performing so far and who's missing Sad

Warriors look pretty solid so our guys that are still standing have a lot to do.

Now for an honest question, and don't take this the wrong way as it's a serious one and I'm thinking about where we could end up ...

When Falcons were in the Championship was it a better feeling seeing them winning regularly and having something to look forward to e.g. potential promotion, or is it better to be in the premiership getting disapointed by the losses and fretting about relegation all the time?

Also what happened to the rumour of the 'ring-fencing' - I wonder was that just a carrot dangled by some clubs to make others sign off on letting the salary cap thing go and now it's all under the carpet they've conveniently forgotten about it?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 02 Feb 2016, 3:05 pm

Yea it was a good feeling being a big fish in a small pond tbh. I think if we'd have had a slightly better squad we could have really hit the ground running when we returned.

It's not such a bad thing going down, I think it could work quite well for a team like Irish as they have a good core of youngsters.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 02 Feb 2016, 3:14 pm

That's one of my worries - how many of the good players could we keep hold of and would we have the finances to bolster the squad again if we came back up ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Tue 02 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

Last season for Wuss was very entertaining but I'm happier this year! Massive match next Sunday which I just can't call. I don't think that there'll be too much in it.

As to ring fencing I've no idea - it has gone rather quiet. I think that they'll do it though and I think it makes a good deal of sense to allow teams to invest and grow. Tough on the championship sides who miss out though.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 02 Feb 2016, 5:30 pm

yappysnap wrote:I know how you feel Ozzy. Quins were 10-19 up and then just fell apart. Depressing doesn't cover it.

Saints this weekend will be easier though right?? At least they're without Brookes now.

I know this was a joke, but Saints aren't exactly playing well
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm

Problem is Saints are due a big game, and if we're as clueless as the last couple of weeks and manage about 20 minutes of rugby then we'll be just the kind of easy game they need to get back into gear.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 02 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

Due a big game is Love sacks, Yappy. We were due a big game most of last season. There's no such thing as "due a big game". If they have a big game, it'll be because they started to play better but it won't have been an inevitability.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:01 pm

I'd be tempted to play this side vs Saints:

Evans
Yarde (or Chisholm if he's away)
Lowe
Sloan
Walker
Botica
Waters
Easter
Wallace
Luamanu
Matthews (Twomey if back)
Horwill
Jones
Ward (or Buchanan)
Lambert

Evans. Buchanan (or Ward), Sinckler, Robinson/Merrick, Chisholm/Robinson, Tebaldi, Swiel, Stanley
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Due a big game is Love sacks, Yappy. We were due a big game most of last season. There's no such thing as "due a big game". If they have a big game, it'll be because they started to play better but it won't have been an inevitability.

I hope the Quins boys come out with half as much passion as you have CJ! OK

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 03 Feb 2016, 12:37 am

yappysnap wrote:Problem is Saints are due a big game, and if we're as clueless as the last couple of weeks and manage about 20 minutes of rugby then we'll be just the kind of easy game they need to get back into gear.
That would be nice, and I appreciate the gesture. Unfortunately, we seem relatively clueless at the moment. Which way to the Try line????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 03 Feb 2016, 12:32 pm

Fortunately for Saints you don't win silverware in January!

Things can change in just one match.

The playoff system means that you just need to make the top 4 to be in with a shot.

There has been a gap opened up between top 4 and the chasing pack but a win for Saints vs Quins would see the gap closing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 03 Feb 2016, 12:57 pm

If Quins lose to us they should be investigated for match fixing.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 03 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm

Scottrf wrote:If Quins lose to us they should be investigated for match fixing.
Will Quins take a bribe? I have a fiver in my pocket...............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:26 pm

Just saw the highlights of the end of the Quins-Saints match. bizarre. All Botica needed to do was simply turn around and kick the ball dead. Brain fart of the highest order. We appreciate the gift.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 08 Feb 2016, 7:07 pm

Or walk into touch or touch it down ... by the way shouldn't this be on the round 11 thread ... oops Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5