The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Actions have consequences

+12
milkyboy
hazharrison
AdamT
Scottrf
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
Coxy001
AlexHuckerby
Duty281
Kareem61
RanjitPatel
JohnPrescottsJab
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Actions have consequences Empty Actions have consequences

Post by JohnPrescottsJab Wed 17 Feb 2016, 9:59 pm

Manny Pacquiao: Nike terminates deal with boxing great
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35600341

Can't say I am surprised. Welcome to 2016 where you can't say anything you say can and WILL be used against you. Not for a second endorsing any of the comments made by Pacquiao but I think we have entered an age where you can't even say hello without someone potentially getting offended (I know it's not that bad but you know what I'm getting at. Often boxers make these comments and cause uproar on the most popular source of venting any emotion, Twitter, and the Daily Mail rails on them, rinse and repeat. I think boxing sometimes gets negative press though any publicity is good publicity some will argue, I think people are entitled to their values and opinions but need to keep them to themselves and making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

JohnPrescottsJab

Back to top Go down

Actions have consequences Empty Re: Actions have consequences

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

The curse of losing to Mayweather.

Never been able to warm to Pacquaio. Beating Barerra and Morales (especially Morales) turned me against him as they were my favourite fighters. Sparking Hatton didn't help either.

I recall seeing one of those 24/7 shows (sure I've written this before) where he was 'playfully' hitting some of his entourage with body shots. Didn't look like fun to me.

Not the Saint he's been made out to be.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:41 pm

Actually I don't know what you're getting at. He didn't make a comment that could have been misconstrued or taken the wrong way, he made a disgusting statement regarding homosexuals.

It was prehistoric and outdated and offensive and as such he deserves all he gets. The same can be said of Tyson Fury and his remarks of a similar nature. It's all well and good saying people are entitled to their beliefs but when they are of a nature which causes hurt and upset to others they shouldn't be voiced.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:52 pm

JohnPrescottsJab wrote:Manny Pacquiao: Nike terminates deal with boxing great

Can't say I am surprised. Welcome to 2016 where you can't say anything you say can and WILL be used against you. Not for a second endorsing any of the comments made by Pacquiao but I think we have entered an age where you can't even say hello without someone potentially getting offended (I know it's not that bad but you know what I'm getting at. Often boxers make these comments and cause uproar on the most popular source of venting any emotion, Twitter, and the Daily Mail rails on them, rinse and repeat.  I think boxing sometimes gets negative press though any publicity is good publicity some will argue, I think people are entitled to their values and opinions but need to keep them to themselves and making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Nike probably didn't want to associate themselves with his viewpoints.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 18 Feb 2016, 12:13 am

Deserves what he got. No time for racists, homophobes or whatever, though I always try my best to separate fighter from person once the bell rings. I think generally speaking Manny is a good guy, but his views on same sex relationships are daft and that's me putting it extremely mild.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnPrescottsJab Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:00 am

Duty281 wrote:
JohnPrescottsJab wrote:Manny Pacquiao: Nike terminates deal with boxing great

Can't say I am surprised. Welcome to 2016 where you can't say anything you say can and WILL be used against you. Not for a second endorsing any of the comments made by Pacquiao but I think we have entered an age where you can't even say hello without someone potentially getting offended (I know it's not that bad but you know what I'm getting at. Often boxers make these comments and cause uproar on the most popular source of venting any emotion, Twitter, and the Daily Mail rails on them, rinse and repeat.  I think boxing sometimes gets negative press though any publicity is good publicity some will argue, I think people are entitled to their values and opinions but need to keep them to themselves and making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Nike probably didn't want to associate themselves with his viewpoints.

Can't blame Nike having their name associated with him

JohnPrescottsJab

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnPrescottsJab Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:03 am

Kareem61 wrote:Actually I don't know what you're getting at. He didn't make a comment that could have been misconstrued or taken the wrong way, he made a disgusting statement regarding homosexuals.

It was prehistoric and outdated and offensive and as such he deserves all he gets. The same can be said of Tyson Fury and his remarks of a similar nature. It's all well and good saying people are entitled to their beliefs but when they are of a nature which causes hurt and upset to others they shouldn't be voiced.

I'm not defending him in any way shape or form. I do believe people are entitled to their own values and opinions but when it concerns hurtful offensive racist etc I think they should keep schtum. He deserves it for sure. I just was trying to get across the point that in an age where everyone is so PC and easily offended he should have kept it to himself

JohnPrescottsJab

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:02 am

Got what he had coming. All well and good saying you don't agree with it (believe that you can say that) but you have to respect elements of society whose belief and feelings are contrary to your opinion. I'm not religious at all, so they can do what they want (hot girl on girl action especially)

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:05 am

Manny: "How do you view girl on girl sex?" ...

Me: "In HD"

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:58 am

JohnPrescottsJab wrote:
Kareem61 wrote:Actually I don't know what you're getting at. He didn't make a comment that could have been misconstrued or taken the wrong way, he made a disgusting statement regarding homosexuals.

I'm not defending him in any way shape or form. I do believe people are entitled to their own values and opinions but when it concerns hurtful offensive racist etc I think they should keep schtum. He deserves it for sure. I just was trying to get across the point that in an age where everyone is so PC and easily offended he should have kept it to himself

Forget the PC age...It's the comparison with animals that is the problem here not that he doesn't approve of gay people..That's ok msny people don't agree with homosexuality .

What he said was deplorable in any age...PC or not.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:21 am

Nike must sell more trainers to gays than women or animal lovers then, didn't stop them sponsoring Kobe Bryant or Michael Vick....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:30 am

PC gone mad. You can't even say that homosexuals are worse than animals without somebody being offended.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:43 am

Are you serious Scott or being a wum?

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:48 am

Think that wa sarcasm....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:04 am

I like Manny. This doesn't change that. But you have to wonder if he is the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not the sort of guy that should be running for office. Then again look at other countries politicians and he looks like he will fit in just fine.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:05 am

This was a trade-off. He lost an endorsement to gain hard right votes.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

hazharrison wrote:This was a trade-off. He lost an endorsement to gain hard right votes.

It's a stupid thing to say..

He's a hero in his Country..Idolised by millions.....If he said he disagreed with homosexuality he would get the same votes........Saying they are no better than animals could incite stupid dumb people to mistreat gays because "Manny thinks their animals"...

Words have actions............It's only 60 years since people saw careers and lives destroyed over some politically motivated communist witch hunt.......

Time to get real..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

It was a terrible thing to say. He is seen as the ultimate role model for his people and a lot of the worlds boxing fans.

I would guess Manny is many young peoples hero. Maybe some young man/woman is having a lot of trouble coming to terms with their sexuality and they read this nonsense from someone they look up to.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:19 am

You have people who are hero worshipped and surrounded by fawning sycophants. They're boxers which means there's a decent chance they grew up without a great education and with a background where the moral code hasn't moved on with the rest of society.

They can come out with some pretty awful sounding stuff because no-one's ever told them they can't. It doesn't make them terrible people, but the consequences are a pretty understandable outrage from the rest of society and a big kick in the wallet. Like the fury comments, there's just no place for them.

From nike's perspective it's probably a free way to get out of a contract from a sporting icon, coming to the end of his career.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:31 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:This was a trade-off. He lost an endorsement to gain hard right votes.

It's a stupid thing to say..

He's a hero in his Country..Idolised by millions.....If he said he disagreed with homosexuality he would get the same votes........Saying they are no better than animals could incite stupid dumb people to mistreat gays because "Manny thinks their animals"...

Words have actions............It's only 60 years since people saw careers and lives destroyed over some politically motivated communist witch hunt.......

Time to get real..

We all know it was a stupid thing to say but he was appealing to the religious vote. Maybe he was modelling himself on Trump? Trump says all sorts of crazy stuff and 'Merica is lapping it up.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:33 am

Can't he appeal to it by saying he doesn't agree with it...??

I'm no Trump fan.....He's deplorable too.

Grow up..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can't he appeal to it by saying he doesn't agree with it...??

Grow up..

Grow up? F@&£ off!

My point is that, like Trump, maybe he's intentionally making controversial comments.

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:40 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Nike must sell more trainers to gays than women or animal lovers then, didn't stop them sponsoring Kobe Bryant or Michael Vick....

Fair points Toppy... Bryant's charges were dropped and he settled out of court on a civil case, so they maybe have an argument that he wasn't convicted of anything and only admitted to adultery. But it's hardly setting high standards. Vick, they dropped and then resigned when he left prison... which I think is a first. But this 'he's turned his life around' spiel is sickeningly convenient.

As I said, Manny is coming to the end of his career, maybe it suits them. Morally bankrupt hypocrites.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:54 am

hazharrison wrote:

Grow up..

Grow up? F@&£ off!

My point is that, like Trump, maybe he's intentionally making controversial comments.

Grow up?  F@&£ off ! Laugh

If you bring Trump and politics in to it...You are attempting to justify.......

Trump plays to the lowest common denominator....The right wing apple pie loony fringe or the thick as poo red neck....He won't win the white house or the GOP nom...No surprise with republicans who aren't college educated he wins hands down..

Don't try to give Manny an out card..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:00 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Grow up..

Grow up? F@&£ off!

Trump plays to the lowest common denominator....The right wing apple pie loony fringe or the thick as poo red neck....He won't win the white house or the GOP nom...No surprise with republicans who aren't college educated he wins hands down..

You're delusional as well as thick. No-one agrees with these views, we're merely exploring why someone with such a huge public profile would come out with them. How does likening one controversial politician to another justify their views?!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Grow up..

Grow up? F@&£ off!

You're delusional as well as thick. No-one agrees with these views, we're merely exploring why someone with such a huge public profile would come out with them. How does likening one controversial politician to another justify their views?!!

But I'm charming with it.....

Saying some of the Mexican illegals are rapists and murders (Which is true....Trump is leading the GOP on the hispanic vote)................Is like saying all gays are animals...

You're trying to offset his abhorrent behaviour by saying others are playing the same game...

Which is a way of justifying.........end of..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 18 Feb 2016, 1:01 pm

milkyboy wrote:From nike's perspective it's probably a free way to get out of a contract from a sporting icon, coming to the end of his career.
Yep. They are poster boys for drug cheats. It's not an ethical decision.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:13 pm

Not sure Pacquiao did anything wrong. He's a devote Christian and what does it say in the Bible?

" A man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." Chapter 20 verse 13

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:16 pm

The bible is all make believe bullsh**!!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:20 pm

Coxy001 wrote:The bible is all make believe bullsh**!!
Let's of that. Have some respect

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:29 pm

Less of that....

Leave the Bible bashing....You don't seem mature enough to discuss the subject

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

Respect? For what?? An out-dated archaic institution that's cost millions of lives over time through ignorance based on a book which is a collection of fairy stories and centuries old re-hashes of may/may not have happened events?

No thanks.

What Spotlight and then talk about respect.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Grow up..

Grow up? F@&£ off!

But I'm charming with it.....

Saying some of the Mexican illegals are rapists and murders (Which is true....Trump is leading the GOP on the hispanic vote)................Is like saying all gays are animals...

You're trying to offset his abhorrent behaviour by saying others are playing the same game...

Which is a way of justifying.........end of..

I'm not claiming he wasn't sincere in offering these views. He obviously believes this - he just thought that spouting it publicly would grab him more votes.

No-one is justifying such thick a rse comments.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Respect? For what?? An out-dated archaic institution that's cost millions of lives over time through ignorance based on a book which is a collection of fairy stories and centuries old re-hashes of may/may not have happened events?  

No thanks.

Great film but not sure we need more intolerance on here.

We have enough on with Truss.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

Keep it boxing. Did not lock the last thread that veered into this territory in the hope you would all restart it on another thread.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm

Is there really anything left to add to this topic??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Respect? For what?? An out-dated archaic institution that's cost millions of lives over time through ignorance based on a book which is a collection of fairy stories and centuries old re-hashes of may/may not have happened events?  

No thanks.

Great film but not sure we need more intolerance on here.

We have enough on with Truss.

What's intolerant? Manny's comments are, that's for sure, mine ref the bible/christianity are about respect not tolerance.

Anyways, out of 'respect' to Rowley & co, I'll top talking about such matters now (albeit they are strongly connected to the OP and thread).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm

Tolerant people get very personal these days...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:45 pm

Can someone show me one ounce of proof the bible was based on real events? No.

Manny quoting a fictional book wouldn't hold up in a court of law were he to have said such a thing that was outlawed in the country he was quoted in.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:47 pm

People have their beliefs Coxy. It is about faith. If it is stupid, sure as long as it harms no one.

Last edited by AdamT on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,,)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Manny quoting a fictional book wouldn't hold up in a court of law were he to have said such a thing that was outlawed in the country he was quoted in.

What a post...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:52 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Can someone show me one ounce of proof the bible was based on real events? No.

Manny quoting a fictional book wouldn't hold up in a court of law were he to have said such a thing that was outlawed in the country he was quoted in.

There's actually quite a bit out there, from memory, just that the 'truth' has been extrapolated beyond reason. Noah's Ark, to take an OT example, there is evidence of major floods but just nothing even remotely like the scale in the bible. Basically it's a book of chinese whispers as much as it is fiction.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:53 pm

Is the new testament all fiction??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

AdamT wrote:Is the new testament all fiction??

Hard to say. OT is where the really messed up stuff all is (having a tug is worse than r@ping a nun, all the anti-gay stuff etc). NT is where the most stretched truths are meant to be, but even it concedes it is a book of stories (parables) meant to provide guidance as to how Christians should live their lives - love & forgiveness being the almost exclusive focus.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

Sorry Rowley, just realised that goes against what I said earlier. Will try shut up now.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:11 pm

Civil debate will be allowed. Manners must be remembered. Respond appropriately

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:12 pm

Think the boxing aspect of this topic is pretty much done now.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:14 pm

Those questioning the validity of the Bible all I can say is that your soul is black.

No more needs saying.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:15 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Those questioning the validity of the Bible all I can say is that your soul is black.

No more needs saying.
That literally means nothing.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

But you swear your oath over it?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next