The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manu watch...

5 posters

Go down

Manu watch... Empty Manu watch...

Post by screamingaddabs Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 am

Hi all,

Not been on the forum as much as I'd like recently (I blame kids and work) but I thought this'd be a good topic for the England fans (if it's not destroyed by WUMs too soon).

Manu played 80 minutes against Quins the other day. Thought he looked good for a guy just back from injury and that Leicester looked much better when they stopped using him as a decoy quite so much (though that worked well at times too) and gave him the ball a bit more. He showed some occasional glimpses of better distribution too.

Personally, I think that he should not be called up for any 6 nations games but left to get back to full form and fitness by the summer tour. I do think though that if he can stay fit he is actually looking like he is progressing - hopefully JDV has been a positive impact on him since his arrival.

With the possiblility of Manu, Daly, Joseph, Hill, Farrell(?), Burrell, I think we could finally see a set of centres that could be varied dependent upon the opposition.

Thoughts? Is Manu worth chucking into England during the 6 nations? Should he be included for the summer tour? We all know he is not the Messiah and that he is a very naughty boy, but he really does seem to me to bring the X-factor we need.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Manu watch... Empty Re: Manu watch...

Post by beshocked Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't help when you're the player who makes the mistake that costs your team the match....shows he's not ready yet.

For Manu's long term well being it's probably best to rest him and I might even not play him on summer tour either. Let him have the summer off and hope he makes it for the AIs.

Manu will always be an option, it's about developing others in his absence as one cannot rely on Manu. I think he's a flawed genius - very talented centre but injured too much and has his limitations. Has got the X factor but not reliable because of his lack of game time for England in recent memory.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:38 pm

If he is still fit, then summer tour. Otherwise shoudl not be included, even if Jones seems desperate to play him.

anyway I thought this was going to be a retail opportunity:

The Manu Watch - chunky and solid this watch is waterproof up to a depth of 25m. Guranteed to tell the correct time at least twice a year.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:59 pm

He's been out such a long time that, even if physically fit to play (i.e. being in good enough physical condition), it will take at least 6 to 8 weeks to get back to proper match sharpness (different in my mind from match fitness - it's the getting up to speed with how the game is played and being able to make the right decision and execute correctly under pressure).

Only possibility for the 6Ns is if Jones wants an impact substitute to put on for the last 15 minutes, but that would be using a bench spot for someone who you would not want to be covering for an early-game injury...

Summer tour is more viable if MT comes through the last 3 months of the season essentially unscathed. If he's physically in condition, then a tour spot would be a good option, but if he's a bit in and out still he would probably benefit from another break.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

The Manu Watch - chunky and solid this watch is waterproof up to a depth of 25m. Guranteed to tell the correct time at least twice a year.

laughing

It seems most on here think that summer tour or later is the best option and I tend to agree. Anyone think he should come back earlier?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:51 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

laughing

It seems most on here think that summer tour or later is the best option and I tend to agree.  Anyone think he should come back earlier?

NO!! At least summer tour if not a full pre-season and then back for the AIs.

Question, do people see him as a 12 or 13? I would prefer him at 12 as an alternative way of playing to Slade.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:16 pm

I like the idea of him at 12. Not only is he then a good alternative to Slade, but in general I like the idea of giving your flyhalf a release valve on his shoulder. Look at how Roberts plays for Wales, or Nonu (as a better player doing the same thing) for NZ. If your fly half gets Blitzed then he has a wrecking ball next to him with the back row on its way to sort out the ruck.

Having said all this, I don't see why we shouldn't have the options of Tuilagi at 12 or 13, Slade at 12 or 13 (or ten but let's forget that for a mo), JJ at 13, Farrell as a 2nd 5/8 at 12. We then have two options for 12 and 13, plus Daly etc who may come through.

Tuilagi showed hints of a nascent passing game in his first game back, if that develops I don't see why he couldn't do both 12 and 13.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:09 am

Seems the answer is that Eddie Jones wants him back quicker than any of us...

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/12169412/Manu-Tuilagi-set-to-to-return-to-England-side-for-Wales-game.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter ]Telegraph[/url]
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down