The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gigs you have recently been too

3 posters

Go down

Gigs you have recently been too Empty Gigs you have recently been too

Post by davidl1061 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

Hi Guys

Thought I would start a discussion about Gigs that people have been too recently.

In the last month I have been to see Floating Points play at the Ritz in Manchester and Shuggie Otis play at Club Academy in the same city.

Floating points is a DJ who has produced a live album, he came on at 9.35, played for 1 hour and then got up said thanks and left, no encore at all, felt very strange and a bit of a drab ending to the gig. As the hour he played was quite enjoyable.

Shuggie Otis plays predominantly blues and funk music. He played for an hour and 20 minutes, when he played blues he was fantastic, however, everytime he played funk he had that many effects on his guitar you couldnt really tell what he was playing and it distorted his singing which was a shame.

Over to you guys, anyone you have seen recently who was awesome, or anyone you felt could have been better?

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Gigs you have recently been too Empty Re: Gigs you have recently been too

Post by Guest Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

Last November - SLAYER at Leeds. My favourite band ever and still smashing the f*cking daylights out of the competition. Last few albums have been "meh" but their back catalogue and live show is still enough to warrant shelling out my hard earned cash. Must be getting to the stage in their careers when the may not do another "small" venue tour in the UK so even if that was the last time I get to see them live, I'll die a happy man.

A few weeks before that - DAMNATION Festival at Leeds. It's been running about 11 years now and I've missed four I think. It's one of the best "small" metal festivals in the UK possibly Europe and has a great mix of bands, from newcomers to established names on the metal circuit. Venue holds about 4000 and set across four stages. Generally about 30+ bands and tickets cost £36 for 12 hours worth of music. The forums are usually filled with miserable ****s moaning about how so-and-so is/isn't playing but for the money it costs and the type of music it caters for, I don't think you'll get much better value anywhere else.

MARCH - off to see Life of Agony in Manchester. Can't say I was really into them when they first came on the scene. The "hardcore" scene wasn't for me and Keith Caputo's voice was a far cry from the gravelly vocal style of the thrash/Death bands I listen to. However, over the years I mellowed towards them and have seen them about five times now. They took a break a few years ago, Keith came out as transgender and is now known as Mina which in a male dominated "macho" environment such as the metal scene, it's a very brave move and, I'm pleased to note, one which has largely been well received/supported. Their last album, Broken Valley, was seen either as a departure from their early incarnation or a musical progression or a f*cking sellout piece of sh!t (people huh?). me? I love it and if the new album is anything along those lines, I'll be delighted.

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

Last one, Blackstone Cherry/Shinedown/Halestorm in Leeds a couple of weeks back

Next biggish one, Utah Saints in Bradford.

Loads of small, local ones inbetween.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

rick_dagless wrote:Last one, Blackstone Cherry/Shinedown/Halestorm in Leeds a couple of weeks back

Next biggish one, Utah Saints in Bradford.

Loads of small, local ones inbetween.
I have a colleague at work who said he saw BLACKSTONE CHERRY/SHINEDOWN recently. Said Shinedown had a short set and played a load of new stuff that he didn't know so he wasn't impressed

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

It was probably the same gig to be fair DAVE they have all just done the Carnival of Madness Tour...

I didn't know too much about SHINEDOWN before I went in, and therefore it was all new.

They were maybe a bit polished for my taste, but I thought they did what they did do, pretty well.

HALESTORM were good, always nice to see a female rock singer, just be good at rock singing, rather than female rock singing if that makes sense...

I think the short sets were more to do with Leeds curfew to be honest.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 29 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

We haven't had much up here in Newcastle recently, but Wolfmother in two weeks which im looking forward to.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:48 pm

Life of Agony in Manchester just over a week ago. Small, sweaty , stinking little room......f*cking awesome! Really put the 'old' in 'old skool' Smashed the daylights out of the moshpit, went home aching, bruised, hoarse and happy. Gigs have been recorded for a possible DVD...if I'd known before hand I've have down a few push ups and crunches...oh well, I'm nearly 45 and supposed to look like a flabby bag of man t!ts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:53 am

Was at the black stone cherry gig last night in Newcastle.

2 sets, no warm up band - just them all night.
1st set is acoustic and the second they rock out.

4th time ive seen them. Christ Robertson the lead singer and guitarist was outstanding and the drummer still reminds me of Animal from the muppet show. He's relentless.

Was a cracking gig.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down