The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best & Worst live gigs you've been to.

+45
jimbryant
ChequeredJersey
Scott is Back
Breadvan
Lee
The Boss
James_182
The Womble
asdral225
Aaronb33
spencerclarke
XR
75judi
No1yankee
Dr Gregory House MD
greybeard
Geordie
Imperial Ghosty
ItsClobberingTime
magicratbooks
Luke
mickyblueyes1713
VDT
dyrewolfe
Enforcer
Hoggy_Bear
BigPhil
sodhat
Pal Joey
Doon the Water
Adam D
Gregers
davidl1061
ADMIN
Pr4wn
Davie
AquaArab
AberdeenSteve
camerajuan
killer-boosh
Dexter Morgan
Crimey
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
CFCNick
Cari
49 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best & Worst live gigs you've been to. Empty Best & Worst live gigs you've been to.

Post by Cari Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

It seems there's quite a few good music fans on here, but I don't think anyone's asked about live gigs. In my view, you can't beat them and that's something that all the technology in the world won't take away; but like everything else, there's some amazing ones and the odd rubbish one too. So, what's the best gig you've had the pleasure of attending, and what's the worst?

Best - U2 360 Tour at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, 2009. I had been waiting 20 odd years for this having missed out on seeing them when they played Cardiff previously. It was also the final night of the European leg of the tour so that made it that little bit more special. The stage set up was fantastic, I've never seen anything like it, the atmosphere was a joyful one, and only Bono could get 75'000 people to sing Stand By Me Smile

Worst - The Stereophonics first gig at the Millennium Stadium, I think it was 2002 to support their fourth album. What I didn't know at the time is that Stuart Cable was kicked out of the band just afterwards, but I think things couldn't have been going well before this gig. They played every song in strict chronological album order which doesn't make a very good set list. I was really disappointed, cause I'd seen The 'Phonics previously and they were very different. The Black Crowes supported them, and blew them off the stage. You know it's a poor gig when the support act are much better. What also didn't help the band was that there were two big fights in the crowd near us. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Best & Worst live gigs you've been to. Empty Re: Best & Worst live gigs you've been to.

Post by CFCNick Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:50 am

Best - Green Day at Milton Keynes Bowl 2005 Bullet In A Bible World Tour

Worst - Dashboard Confessional at the NEC in 2007, they were supporting Maroon 5, who I really went to see, and they sounded like an average band playing in a basement and just shouting.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Best & Worst live gigs you've been to. Empty Re: Best & Worst live gigs you've been to.

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

I went to the U2 gig at Cardiff you missed mate - the Vertigo tour. And they are immense live. Truly hairs on the back of the neck stuff, particularly when Bono sang "sometimes you can't make it on your own" for his dad.

Best - Red Hot Chili Peppers at Cardiff Millenium Stadium. Amazing live band. A stuuning summers evening that matched their Califronian sun drenched tunes. A perfect gig, and supported by James Brown which was beyond cool.

Worst - The Darkness at CIA. Not because of the band but the crowd, who only knew two songs and were like planks of wood for the rest of the gig. And Justin Hawkins told them so too. Dead atmosphere. The crowd didn't even know Ash who were supporting and played brilliantly. There were about 5 of us who appreciated it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

Damn Demon, RHCP are the band I'd most love to see live, I just think they'd be immense live, I don't think they have ever made a song I don't like either.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Morgan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

Best - Kings of Leon at Leeds Festival 2007. Beauty of it was I wasn't a massive KOL fan at the time but they literally blew me away, the best atmosphere I have ever seen at a gig, everyone loved it. They were playing just below Razorlight who headlined and they were terrible in comparison.

Worst - (bit controversial) RHCP Leeds Festival 2007. They headlined on the Sunday and there were a lot of sounds issues (ok that probably wasn't their fault) and they didn't play a lot of tracks, too much self indulgent riffs and pissing about for my liking. They also messed up the lyrics to Californication and the crowd noticed, he looked so embarassed.

Dexter Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:53 pm

Demon - I couldn't get tickets for the Vertigo tour not that I wasn't making the effort to get some! Previously I was too young to go on my own to see them, and no one would take me Sad

Another worst act for me was Ian Brown supporting the Manic Street Preachers in 2003. He kept stopping halfway through songs just to abuse the crowd who were getting more irate. I did encounter the best heckler I've ever seen though. Stood next to me was this massive biker and when Brown stopped for the umpteenth time during his set, this guy just booms across the crowd in a thick valleys accent "GET OFF YOU SCRUFFY Kumquat!!!" laughing Made me laugh anyway....obviously he didn't say the fruit Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Cari wrote:Demon - I couldn't get tickets for the Vertigo tour not that I wasn't making the effort to get some! Previously I was too young to go on my own to see them, and no one would take me Sad

Another worst act for me was Ian Brown supporting the Manic Street Preachers in 2003. He kept stopping halfway through songs just to abuse the crowd who were getting more irate. I did encounter the best heckler I've ever seen though. Stood next to me was this massive biker and when Brown stopped for the umpteenth time during his set, this guy just booms across the crowd in a thick valleys accent "GET OFF YOU SCRUFFY Kumquat!!!" laughing Made me laugh anyway....obviously he didn't say the fruit Wink

Oh my god - I was at that gig!! LOL. I was actually considering that as my worst, but because the Manics made up for it (my favourite band) I chose The Darkness gig. Brown was pelted with all sorts - I remember he was singing some god-awful song about cocaine and just stopped the band halfway through. Car crash set!

Crimey - if you haven't heard it already, get the RHCP live at Hyde Park CD - an excellent live album. I don't usually like live albums but that one is fantastic. And their new album is out this year so I'd bet on a UK stadium tour next summer - keep an eye out.

Back to top Go down

Post by killer-boosh Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

best - Barron Knight, Roses threatre in Tewkesbury, it was fun.

worst - Showaddywaddy, Eveshams Working Mens Club, they were ok, i hated all the people dressed up as teddy boy and ropey old birds in dresses.

killer-boosh

Back to top Go down

Post by camerajuan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:17 pm

Best - Daughtry at Koko's in Camden featuring The Crave. Unbelievable. Blew me away from start to finish and did an awesome Billy Idol cover of More More More.

Worst - Wasn't really "at" this gig but at TITP in 2003, just after Franz Ferdinand had blown away the main stage, they decided to put PJ Harvey on. She emptied the field and every time I walked past after that there seemed to be less people watching. Terrible. Awful music.

camerajuan

https://www.youtube.com/user/pondguard22?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

Best

Without a shadow of a doubt it would be Biffy Clyro on their most recent tour. They give absolutely everything into every song and the crowd was insane. This coming from someone who has seen the Foo's live so I think it says something about Simon Neil and the boys when they perform live. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Worst

The Enemy when they supported the Stereophonics. The lead singer is such an arrogant little so and so. Thought he was Archie Bumfluff but he was truly terrible

🤦

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

Electric Demon wrote:
Oh my god - I was at that gig!! LOL. I was actually considering that as my worst, but because the Manics made up for it (my favourite band) I chose The Darkness gig. Brown was pelted with all sorts - I remember he was singing some god-awful song about cocaine and just stopped the band halfway through. Car crash set!

Yeah the Manics made up for it all right, but then they always do. I've seen them so many times, I never tire of them.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaArab Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

Best
Gaslight Anthem at the HMV in Edinburgh. A great night of punk/hard rock with plenty of booze and to top it off we bumped into the singer after the gig.

Worst.
Green Day at T in the park. I like them but they were just so boring to watch live. Kept on banging on about George Bush and the war but the crowd were just not that bothered, totaly killed the atmosphere and by the end alot of people had moved to different stages and I haven't listened to a Green Day since.

AquaArab

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Best: Hard to decide, I've seen so many good ones but special mentions to Prince during the Lovesexy tour and Dream Theater at Wembley Arena 2 or 3 years ago - that REALLY blew me away

Worst is much easier: Thin Lizzy at Leeds Queens Hall, early 80s. Always one of my favourite bands but this was at a time when they were in serious decline. Lynott and Scott Gorham were seriously wasted and Snoey White looked like he was having trouble staying awake

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Best - Arcade Fire at Birmingham NEC - December 2010. A superb live band that produce an amazing sound. The also interacted with the crowd well and seemed like a genuinely nice bunch.

Worst - Dirty Pretty Things - Supporting Muse at Wembley in June 2007 (I think?). They were awful. A drummer that was out of time, a singer that was out of tune. Just terrible.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

Faves:

RHCP at V Festival when I was front row and just a few feet away from John Frusciante doing an epic solo session.
Super Furry Animals at the Academy in Manchester, one my first ever gigs and the atmosphere was bouncing.
Manics at v99, great gig and managed to get a shout out from Bradfield when we made a big bonfire to dance around.
Foo Fighters at Leeds where they had to be dragged off the stage because they refused to stop playing.
Damian Rice at the Apollo, took my wife on a valentine’s day, he did a belting cover of 7 nation army by White Stripes which is her fave song.

Worst

RHCP at MEN arena, Chicks on Speed were supporting and got booed offstage, Chili’s took exception to this and berated the crowd and were lacklustre throughout.
Queens of the Stone Age at V, think I’d built the expectations too high for them and they failed to deliver.
Pixies, like QOTSA they were a band I’d always wanted to see, I wish I never had now.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:01 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Best

Without a shadow of a doubt it would be Biffy Clyro on their most recent tour. They give absolutely everything into every song and the crowd was insane. This coming from someone who has seen the Foo's live so I think it says something about Simon Neil and the boys when they perform live. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Worst

The Enemy when they supported the Stereophonics. The lead singer is such an arrogant little so and so. Thought he was Archie Bumfluff but he was truly terrible

🤦

Totally agree with the enemy, saw them when they supported Oasis, they seemed to think the crowd was there to see them and were awful. Luckily Kasabian and Oasis were both quality!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

Best - Gorillaz without a shadow of a doubt

Worst - Maximo Park, mainly due to the support act (The Noisettes) being better than the main act!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

Best

There have been a few very good ones but one stands out for me above all others, Stevie Wonder. He was at the MEN last year and was absolutely amazing! Cant believe how talented one man can be!

Worst

As per my last response, The Enemy supporting Oasis were truly terrible.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:01 pm

Another amazing show I've seen was Madonna's Confessions Tour in Cardiff in 2006. A true professional, she knows how to put on a good show.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

worst gig was chas and dave in Glasgow but then again what did I expect! Other terrible gigs were marillion in manchester in1999.

Best gig - Fish in Glasgow last year, Price on the Nude Tour (batman album) and they might be Giants in 99

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 06 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

Hobo - Chas N Dave were amazing at Glastonbury when they played a few years ago. The crowd loved them. That was before they split up though.

Speaking of Glastonbury I can't wait to see U2 on there in a couple of weeks. Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:06 am

Chas and Dave in glasgow Yahoo

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

Doon the Water wrote:Chas and Dave in glasgow Yahoo

To be fair, I did go with a bunch of rugby mates and it was only £9! The venue was excellent though (Cottiers)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 12 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Best: hard to split ... AC/DC 'Back in Black' c.1981, Stevie Ray Vaughan (supported by Fabulous Thunderbirds) c.1989, Joni Mitchell, c.1985

Worst: Lou Reed - early 90s, painfully out of tune and woeful sound from band...came across very badly to the audience too...many people walked out but I hung around (unfortunately) !

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

Best - Foo Fighters at I.O.W all of three weeks ago. They were immense, and even though they did take a bit too long on riffing between songs, they just banged out great song after great song.

Worst - Jet at V Festival 2009; they were just poor. No two ways about that one...least it was sunny.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Best
For folk outwith Scotland this may sound wierd.
I was at a 'dance' that's what they were called in 1968.
The venue was Dunbar Pavillion [long since demolished] By some fluke the manager had booked The Foundations well in advance and that week they had made it to NO1 with 'Baby Now That I've Found You'
Packed hall of about 400, great night.

Can't really name a bad gig.
Donnie Munro was a bit dissapointing after leaving Runrig.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

Best one for me was seeing Muse at the MEN, I think it was in 2007 but I remember thoroughly enjoying it. An honorable mention goes to Enter Shikari at Leeds Festival 2010 who as usual just got on and whipped everyone into a frenzy.

Worst was Radiohead live at Leeds Festival 2009. They're actually my favourite band but on the two occasions I've seen them instead of playing their best songs they played a lot of their lesser known works. Yes, it's still great music but not what you want at a festival. What made me more angry was that at Reading the night after they played their full repertoire of hits and it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

I've heard that about Radiohead that they don't play earlier stuff which was what got them the fame and prefer the stuff from Kid A onwards.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:10 pm

I always think it's bad form when established artists refuse to do any of their back catalogue - especially the big hits. Yes OK it might be boring to them to play a million times, and they want to promote any new material, but as you say it's got them where they are they should celebrate it with the fans.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Best (or one of):

Big Country at Birmingham Uni about 1982. Everyone wrecked, Big Country only had about 15 songs, so just played 'Fields of Fire' and 'In a big Country' about 10 times each. Utterly brilliant.

Worst (for different reason):

Screaming Blue Messiahs at Irish Centre, Birmingham around 1986.
I'd looked forward to this gig even though I wasn't as big a fan as my mates. But just as the band was about to play all the songs I actually knew (we could see the set list), the lead singer threw his toys out of the pram because, apparently, the crowd wasn't as big as they'd have liked, and the band marched off stage, leaving us a little peed off!!

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Wed 29 Jun 2011, 2:59 am

It mainly ranked as my worst because I'd seen them at the Lancashire Cricket Ground in 2008 and the setlist was very similar. I didn't mind it at their own performance because everyone knew what was what and enjoyed it. But at the festival quite a fair amount of those in attendance would have been casual fans. It was the performance the following night at Reading which peeved me though, why do it there but not here... ah well, they're still brilliant.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:38 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Best (or one of):

Big Country at Birmingham Uni about 1982. Everyone wrecked, Big Country only had about 15 songs, so just played 'Fields of Fire' and 'In a big Country' about 10 times each. Utterly brilliant.

I've heard Big Country are the best live band of all time from so many people - I wish I'd had chance to see them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

Best - Korn at Brixton Academy. I was really excited to see them and the energy was brilliant. I also think the Academy is the best music venue I have been to which just added to the event!

Special metion to RHCP and James Brown at the Mill Stad, one of the best support acts you could have and a true legend!

Worst - Slipknot at Cardiff International Arena. Saw them in a double headlining gig with Slayer. I was a big Slipknot fan beforehand, Slayer were brilliant first but Slipknot were terrible. If I hadn't taken my sister for her birthday (who liked it) I would have walked out. Hardly listened to them since.

Special mention to Chicks on Speed, saw them supporting RHCP's at the Mill Stad, the crowd were dead and they were awful. It made me laugh when they said we were the best crowd they had palyed on the tour. After reading Hero's comment I'm not surprised (and glad how polite us Welsh are to crapola music!)

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:28 am

I love how everyone remembers Chicks on Speed - they did a great job at promoting their name if nothing else.

Most of the gigs I've been to I can't remember the support act anymore - but I'll always remember Chicks on Speed Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

Agree on James Brown being frankly awesome, had the pleasure of seeing him twice and it blew you away.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 29 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

For me it has to be Iron Maiden at Twickenham in 2008 at the end of their Somewhere Back In Time tour. Absolutely amazing set from start to finish...but then they have so many belters to choose from. Supported by A7X, Within Temptation and Lauren Harris (Steve's daughter).

A VERY close second was Megadeth at Download last year, when they played nearly all of their Rust In Peace album to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

Also had the pleasure of seeing Geordie nutters Lawnmower Death. The songs are truly ridiculous but they play an audience like no other band I've seen, encouraging crowd-surfing and conga lines, as well as chucking stuff into the crowd.

Another truly memorable set has to be Rock Sugar - a bunch of American "hair metal" revivalists, who mash classic 80s and 90s rock and pop tunes into amazing songs (e.g. Don't Stop the Sandman - Journey's Don't Stop Believing mixed with Metallica's Enter Sandman). Can't recommend them highly enough.

Worst sets I've seen at other festivals include Them Crooked Vultures...too much self-indulgent jamming.

The Cult - mainly for Ian Astbury's embarrassing between-song banter which included a claim they were going to play some "black metal". Nothing wrong with the music though.

DOWN - another band I was looking forward to seeing, but the crowd ruined the gig. Very quiet for the most part and when Phil Anselmo gave them some stick for it.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 29 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Another top gig has to be Alice Cooper during his Theatre of Death tour. Great songs backed up by an amazing stage show!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

My choice has now changed after going to Foo Fighters yesterday at Milton Keynes.
Frankly the greatest concert I've ever attended. 10 hours squashed against a barrier and fat sweaty men, 5 & 1/2 hours to get out of the carpark and get home at 4am but all worth it to see such an amazing performance.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

Best:
Slipknot supported by American Head Charge, One Minute Silence & In Flames. Amazing!!!

Worst:
Steps supping by Bewatched!!! Free gig in the local park, Mum made me take my little brother!!!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyblueyes1713 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:21 pm

Hero wrote:My choice has now changed after going to Foo Fighters yesterday at Milton Keynes.
Frankly the greatest concert I've ever attended. 10 hours squashed against a barrier and fat sweaty men, 5 & 1/2 hours to get out of the carpark and get home at 4am but all worth it to see such an amazing performance.

Couldn't agree more, absolutely awesome gig. There aren't many bands that I can justify spending £50+ to go and see but Foo Fighters never fail to better my expectations.

Also my first time at the MK Bowl. Cracking venue as the acoustics sounded amazing (especially during Best Of You) but the car park situation was a nightmare. I'm definately operating on auto pilot today 8)

mickyblueyes1713

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:

Also had the pleasure of seeing Geordie nutters Lawnmower Death. The songs are truly ridiculous but they play an audience like no other band I've seen, encouraging crowd-surfing and conga lines, as well as chucking stuff into the crowd.

That sounds like a class gig, wouldn't mind seeing them! Laugh

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 06 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

I can highly recommend them!

As I said, the songs are plain daft, but do make you laugh. The between-song banter is great too. They like to interact with their audiences and get them dancing and singing along.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:55 am

BEST - Iron Maiden at sheffield arena nov 92
Guns n Roses at Maine road Manchester
Levellers at victoria theater Halifax

WORST - RHCP in Glasgow 01
Ocean colur scene in york 06
Embrace in Hull 06
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by magicratbooks Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Best - Bruce Springsteen, solo, Devils & Dust tour, The Point, Dublin 2005.
Just Bruce and a guitar. Brilliant.

magicratbooks

http://tomsharkey.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsClobberingTime Sat 23 Jul 2011, 12:54 am

Best gig - Fozzy in Millenium Music Hall, Cardiff. They were awesome and Jericho had an amazing stage presence. I waited after the gig to meet him too and had a picture with him.

Worst gig - Zebrahead at the same venue. They were supporting Less Than Jake (who were really good). They were awful!

ItsClobberingTime

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

Led Zeppelin at the 02 arena, wasn't musically the best gig i've been to but as a fairly young didn't think i'd ever get the chance to see the band who got me into rock music.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

Best - Green Day Wembley 2010

Worst...Black Stone Cherry - Newcastle Academy 2009
Aerosmith Millenium Dome 2010 (They would good but they just played too many slow ballads.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:18 pm

Best: Metallica 1992, Dublin

Worst: Kings of Leon, London, 2008 - free ticket off a mate. Just don't get why they are popular.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Best & Worst live gigs you've been to. Empty Gigs that have dissapointed or exceeded your expectations

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:52 am

Ever gone to a gig really hyped up maybe to see a band you've been listening too only to have it not be as good as you might imagine or been to see a band who you were maybe dragged to see or a support who you have never heard of and ended up being enjoyable?, share your experiances here

Dissapointment

Paramore- I had been a fan of this band for years, an not just because Haley Williams is the 3rd most beautiful woman in the world behind my missus (got to cover the bases in case she ever finds this) and Karen Gillan, I heard the song Emergancy from there 1st albumbefore they gained real popularity and was able to pick it up for a snip at £3, For long periods I was literally obsessed with there 2nd album Riot which is still there best work, there 3rd album was still brilliant so when I heard they were playing at the SECC in Glasgow I got myself tickets for myself and my girlfriend. I was hugely excited, both to be seeing one of my favorite bands and it would be the 1st (and as of now only) time, I had been to see a band at a large venue with a large crowd. The journey through to Glasgow was pretty painful due to traffic, the journey took 3 and a bit hours and despite the fact I had insisted on leaving early we were running late by the time we got to the venue. I was desperate for a ciggarette but due to time constraints my missus made me chuck it after a few draws. When we got into the venue we saw the latter half of the support and it was bad. I swear I will never listen to Youmeatsix again as long as I live. By the time Paramore came on I was ready to let loose and enjoy myself, but when the music started it appear that no one else was. I nievely perhaps, was expecting the jumping, screaming, singing energy from the crowd that I got from watching bands in more intimate pubs back in Dundee. I was wrong, early attempts to enjoy gigs in my usual way stuck out like a sore thumb amongst a crowd who looked like they may as well have been listening to a CD, making very little attempt to express some energy if any. It wasn't just the crowd, I had purchased a live DVD of Paramore about a year before and they were so vibrant and creative, on that night in Glasgow it seemed as if they were just going through the motions, very little in the way of crowd interactions or variety in the standard playing of the songs. All in all I went away that night pretty dissapointed and sadly haven't quite enjoyed the band in the same way since.

Exceeded expectations:

On a brighter note, for my first ever gig I was invited along by my mate to watch his brothers band support a band called My Awesome Compilation, I was farmiliar with MAC prior to the gig but hadn't heard much more than one or two songs. When I got there it ended up being one of the best nights of my life, I had great fun with my friends, watching an enjoyable support of whom my mate brother's band stole the show, I thought they were fantastic and was dissapointed when they broke up aa few months after this gig, and at 15 it was obviously a joy to be in a pub being given sneaky drinks by the older lads (skittle vodka I belive). When MAC started they were very enjoyable indeed, we got right to the front of the stage to watch them, it was brilliant being able to let loose with my mates and some guys who had watched MAC the night before in their hometown of Arbroath and had decided to come see them again the night after, they were great fun.

Anyways those are my top two expriances, I've been to better and worse gigs in between those nights but usually I have been able to call it from the off, particuarly if my girlfriend picks it, it's going to be crap (not to mention expensive). All comments welcomed

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next