The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman

+5
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
Coxy001
Atila
9 posters

Go down

Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman Empty Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman

Post by Atila Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:45 am

Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/welterweight-title-defense-off-injured-keith-thurman-022649492--box.html

Los Angeles (AFP) - Undefeated world champion Keith Thurman was hurt in a car accident, forcing his March 12 welterweight title defense in Connecticut against Shawn Porter to be postponed, organizers said Monday.

Promoter Lou DiBella, president of DiBella Entertainment, made the announcement.

The nature of Thurman's injuries were not given, but according to his doctors is expected to be cleared to resume training in the coming weeks, a statement from DiBella said.

"While it's unfortunate that we must temporarily postpone this marquee matchup, a main event of the magnitude of Thurman vs. Porter requires both fighters be healthy and at their best," the promoter said.

Thurman, 26-0 with 22 knockouts, was preparing for the second defense of the title he won last March with a unanimous decision over compatriot Robert Guerrero. Thurman stopped US southpaw Luis Collazo in the seventh round last July in his first title defense.

Porter, 26-1-1 with 16 knockouts, owned the International Boxing Federation version of the welterweight title until losing it in 2014 by majority decision to Britain's undefeated Kell Brook. Porter bounced back last year with wins over Ecuador's Erick Bone and American Adrien Broner.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman Empty Re: Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman

Post by Coxy001 Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:17 am

Shame, was looking forwards to this one

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman Empty Re: Welterweight title defense off for injured Keith Thurman

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 23 Feb 2016, 6:43 pm

Oh man that sucks so bad Sad

Feel for Thurman, that is ridiculously bad luck, hopefully it can be rescheduled.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 23 Feb 2016, 11:44 pm

All seems a bit fishy, Thurman doesn't go to hospital, no actual injury been specifically named, no real details at all. Very sketchy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 24 Feb 2016, 9:28 am

He was in a car accident, we should give him the benefit of the doubt

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 24 Feb 2016, 9:54 am

Heard it was neck injury. Thurman doesn't exactly strike me as someone who shirks a challenge - plus it's only Shawn bloody Porter FFS!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:32 am

Malignaggi
Broner
Alexander
is a decent body of work.
three former welterweight champions. Certainly a step up from Guerrero
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

Lost to Brook. Broner is a joke at 147 and lost himself to Paulie M who is, at best, a divisional gatekeeper. Devon 'my eyes my eyes' Alexander is a decent win, albeit unexceptional.

That said, Thurman's record is pretty well massaged. Point is, I doubt he's looking to duck Porter, see no reason for it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 24 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

A lot of youtube experts are picking Porter, not sure if that means anything though

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 24 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm

I don't see why Thurman would be scared

I'd pick Porter to beat Guerrero but only just there isn't an awful lot between them and Thurman dealt with Guerrero fairly easily
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 24 Feb 2016, 6:30 pm

Not saying he's ducking him. But, all I'm saying is, he was in a car accident. Injuries sustained are bad enough for him not to fight, yet he didn't go to the hospital, no police report, no real evidence of much. It all just seems a tad strange.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

I always thought Sanchez deliberately crashed his car and died because he didn't want to fight Pat Cowdell again.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 24 Feb 2016, 6:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Heard it was neck injury. Thurman doesn't exactly strike me as someone who shirks a challenge - plus it's only Shawn bloody Porter FFS!!

He's not exactly fought anyone who'd provide him with a challenge either, he seems to get away with fighting a lot of old fringe contenders for some unknown reason. His fight with Porter is a significant step up in class.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down