The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England in the driving seat.... WHY ?

+30
Cyril
VinceWLB
gregortree
majesticimperialman
nathan
mikey_dragon
Breadvan
rainbow-warrior
englandglory4ever
WELL-PAST-IT
Sidestep
Hoonercat
Gwlad
Scottrf
Barney McGrew did it
SecretFly
R!skysports
Poorfour
beshocked
No 7&1/2
munkian
BigTrevsbigmac
Geordie
HammerofThunor
LondonTiger
sad_gimp
lostinwales
Shifty
stub
No9
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

England in the driving seat.... WHY ? Empty England in the driving seat.... WHY ?

Post by No9 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm

Keep hearing from pundits, posters, articles, etc. that England are in the driving seat.. Its England's Championship to lose, etc..

Doh

WHY!!!

First, lets not forget that France have won all their games as well so far, so surely they are also in the driving seat... And, Wales haven't LOST a game, so if they win all they're remaining games then they cant lose the title.

So, are England really in the driving seat, or have they just forgot that France drive Left Hand drive cars, and Wales could still cry "Shotgun"..

No9

Back to top Go down

England in the driving seat.... WHY ? Empty Re: England in the driving seat.... WHY ?

Post by stub Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:27 pm

No9 wrote:Keep hearing from pundits, posters, articles, etc. that England are in the driving seat.. Its England's Championship to lose, etc..

Doh

WHY!!!

First, lets not forget that France have won all their games as well so far, so surely they are also in the driving seat...  And, Wales haven't LOST a game, so if they win all they're remaining games then they cant lose the title.

So, are England really in the driving seat, or have they just forgot that France drive Left Hand drive cars, and Wales could still cry "Shotgun"..

Do England really think they're in the driving seat? Bloomin arrogant so and sos... Very typical behaviour Wink

stub

Back to top Go down

England in the driving seat.... WHY ? Empty Re: England in the driving seat.... WHY ?

Post by Shifty Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

Well to be fair the fixtures fell very nicely for England this season. they started with the easiest team then arguably are working their way up n terms of difficulty. Ireland should be hardest team but they have injuries which isn't helping.

Really the Ireland game will show us how good (or bad) this England team are, at the moment England have only beaten the tournament cannon fodder teams so it's hard to gauge things. I'll be honest though I'm not too worried by this England team, they haven't really shown me anything to make me overly concerned.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:45 pm

So is this one of those 'English' threads dominated by welsh posters talking England down or can anyone join in?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

lostinwales wrote:So is this one of those 'English' threads dominated by welsh posters talking England down or can anyone join in?

It's the annual 'English arrogance' blah blah blah thread. Get your bingo cards ready.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

With the sponsorship from Land Rover, England are often in the driving seat. Sadly as this pic demonstrates too often we sabotage our efforts

England in the driving seat.... WHY ? James-haskell-directs-a-blindfolded-england-team-mate-chris-ashton-picture-id109244885

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm

LondonTiger wrote:With the sponsorship from Land Rover, England are often in the driving seat. Sadly as this pic demonstrates too often we sabotage our efforts

England in the driving seat.... WHY ? James-haskell-directs-a-blindfolded-england-team-mate-chris-ashton-picture-id109244885

Ideal match, Land Rover are the most unreliable vehicle on the road, consistently break down and are always the worst performing vehicle in terms of new vehicles on the road. The England rugby team aren't much better.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:01 pm

mid_gen wrote:
lostinwales wrote:So is this one of those 'English' threads dominated by welsh posters talking England down or can anyone join in?

It's the annual 'English arrogance' blah blah blah thread. Get your bingo cards ready.

It's actually strangely reassuring how this happens at this time of year. Very Happy

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

I wouldn't say England are the most unreliable or consistently breakdown.  If anything I would say they're very reliable and steady but struggle in difficult environment that comes around every now and then. Decent but not exceptional.

Like Shifty, I've nothing from this England side that I haven't seen over the last...8 years?? We'll see

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I wouldn't say England are the most unreliable or consistently breakdown.  If anything I would say they're very reliable and steady but struggle in difficult environment that comes around every now and then. Decent but not exceptional.

Like Shifty, I've nothing from this England side that I haven't seen over the last...8 years?? We'll see

Come on, where's your arrogance man?

You're letting the side down with your measured and thoughtful response!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:06 pm

aye, england have been the exact opposite of Land Rovers. Remarkably consistent on the road, but rather dull, but short of the spark needed to thrive when the going gets tough.

Skoda Yeti, or Kia Sportage maybe.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

No9 wrote:Keep hearing from pundits, posters, articles, etc. that England are in the driving seat.. Its England's Championship to lose, etc..

Doh

WHY!!!

First, lets not forget that France have won all their games as well so far, so surely they are also in the driving seat...  And, Wales haven't LOST a game, so if they win all they're remaining games then they cant lose the title.

From whom? Name them please. Noone on this site or any others Ive seen have said that!

EDIT: Apologies for taking this one serious and not even reading the comments below.... Doh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:20 pm

Driving seat not sure but certainly have a slight edge as we are top of the table & have the best points difference.

Compared to France we beat Italy by more and were away.
Compared to Wales we beat Scotland more convincingly and were away also.

So not a lot in it but slight advantage - one eyed individuals may argue the t*ss here and there but still all to play for I reckon.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm

Is this one of those things like when you can say your Mrs is fat but no one else can ?

So Eddie can say 'Yeah, we're arrogant - what of it ? ' but no one else can ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:25 pm

Think it's more a case of fair enough it's still a 3 horse race but who's said the quote?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:30 pm

All you can say for certain is that England are in as good as position as they could reasonably expect to be at this point. You cannot say the same about Wales and Ireland, and there are reservations about France.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

The driving analogy does make sense according to Eddie Jones, Maro Itoje is like a Vauxhall Vista.

Why on earth Eddie Jones' dream car is a BMW I don't know but still....

no9 would you claim the French have played well?

The reason England are current favourites

2 wins out of 2, best points difference, have kept a clean sheet so far.

Only 2 sides can win the GS now and France just about scraped past Ireland and Italy. Unless France improve their performance they won't win.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:37 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Doh

WHY!!!

From whom? Name them please. Noone on this site or any others Ive seen have said that!

EDIT: Apologies for taking this one serious and not even reading the comments below....  Doh

Are you serious... suggest you check some other posts out then.. Start with this one (https://www.606v2.com/t62173-2016-6-nations-champions-are) and the result of the Poll as well as postings...

As for quoting the media, it was clearly said this morning on Breakfast news, was said again last night on a BBC News, plus been in papers.. Not going to track links for those, as I haven't the time (or inclination) but you must be going around with your eyes (and ears) closed if you haven't heard the quotes from media and pundits.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:39 pm

Oh if you're talking about favourites for the title, yes I think England are just. Fair enough given the table and remaining fixtures.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:40 pm

thumbsup

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:40 pm

It's still a 3 horse race - though it is likely to be a 2 horse one by 10 o'clock tonight. A loss for either team would leave them reliant on results elsewhere, a draw would probably rule Wales out of contention, and even a Welsh win would leave them needing to win in Twickenham.

And while they've got a decent recent record there, both 2012 and 2015 relied on scores late in the game. The one thing Eddie has achieved in his limited time, aside from fixing the basics, is to show that he knows how to use the bench to finish strongly, rather than peter out as Lancaster's teams tended to. That's not a guarantee of anything, but it suggests that England won't be as vulnerable to a late raid as they have been.

As for France, well, they may be in the driving seat, but I'm never quite sure whether they've got hold of the wheel.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:42 pm

But Strangely enough it started

So is this one of those 'English' threads dominated by welsh posters talking England Scotland down or can anyone join in?

But then you serial posters who try to wind up others - you got to expect it

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:42 pm

Poorfour wrote:It's still a 3 horse race - though it is likely to be a 2 horse one by 10 o'clock tonight. A loss for either team would leave them reliant on results elsewhere, a draw would probably rule Wales out of contention, and even a Welsh win would leave them needing to win in Twickenham.

And while they've got a decent recent record there, both 2012 and 2015 relied on scores late in the game. The one thing Eddie has achieved in his limited time, aside from fixing the basics, is to show that he knows how to use the bench to finish strongly, rather than peter out as Lancaster's teams tended to. That's not a guarantee of anything, but it suggests that England won't be as vulnerable to a late raid as they have been.

As for France, well, they may be in the driving seat, but I'm never quite sure whether they've got hold of the wheel.

That's the biggest noticeable change . We actually use the subs for a positive effect!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:44 pm

England are in the driving seat. Eddie will win it this year in his first term. Congratulations.

Nice upturn in fortunes after the disappointment of the World Cup..... basically nothing has changed much in the style of play - it was always good enough to win..... but now I suppose it has the Eddie touch.... a nice quizzical frown, a 'Gatland' speech now and then to bristle up the enemy and away we go.... a revolution in fortunes.
Whoever said cooking was hard? All you need is the right ingredients.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:45 pm

beshocked wrote:The driving analogy does make sense according to Eddie Jones, Maro Itoje is like a Vauxhall Vista.

Only 2 sides can win the GS now and France just about scraped past Ireland and Italy. Unless France improve their performance they won't win.

Rolling Eyes ... NO... Whistle

But I wouldn't say England have played well either...

I backed England for a Slam this year, and I still think they can.. But the logic behind the OP was that I feel the media (and some posters.. even though it will be denied) are hyping up England again.. Why ? This tournament is still a 3 horse race, as put by someone else. If Wales lose another game, then that's them out, simple. But if they don't lose against France or England, then surly having Italy last at home gives them the title (failing an Italian miracle). But if Wales lose, then it could be down to the last game between Eng/Fra... Its just not England's to lose as its being hyped.. Its still there for England, France or Wales to go out and WIN..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:46 pm

Only against relatively poor sides so far (how's that for talking Scotland down Risky? Smile)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:49 pm

WHY?

Because it's funny that way.

Actually what would be funny (or is that sad) is if this mediocre England only went and won the whole thing. Would certainly make Eddie smirk. And me.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:50 pm

So you're one of the posters you're pointed to in the link above then No9! Maybe you should lay out why you think we can still win the slam.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

less mediocre than the other bunch so it's all relative in ye Olde Northern Hemisphere....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

It's good to be the best of a bad bunch though as you well know fly.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:54 pm

According to Eddie some of the mediocre players have the potential to be world class....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:00 pm

If you think the France that laboured past Italy are also in the driving seat then you can get 9/2 on them. You can lay England on Betfair at 4/5 i.e. bet 40 quid and if they don't win you get 90 back. Enjoy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So you're one of the posters you're pointed to in the link above then No9! Maybe you should lay out why you think we can still win the slam.

Said all along, I felt England would get a Slam.. The fixtures (order and home percentage) favoured them this year. They aren't a bad side, but have had a bad run, including a World Cup they should have done better in. This armed with a new coach, will galvanise the side (as it did to Wales in 2008 - look what happened there). Their toughest game, will be against Wales, but the new belief and wanting to prove the last result (RWC) a fluke, will see them to a slender victory... But these are all my thoughts and only that.. Like mystic Meg I'm seldom right, so don't but your house on my visions.. Wink

But, my OP was about the hype.. WHY are England being hyped as "in the driving seat".. perhaps you agree they are and there is no hype.. But its no surprise that most on this site have just seen it as a WUM and responded with such negative comments..

Ah well.. That's me done.. Off to get train to Cardiff... Why I do it, I don't know.. I hate the Friday night fiasco.. God knows IF never mind what time i'll get home tonight (tomorrow morning..)... Be glad when the Friday games are stopped.. but that's another thread..

Good luck ALL (but more luck to Wales Whistle )

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

England are in the driving seat every year, year after year, annually.

The T shirts get printed, the Slam is in the bag.

This year they have opened with a stutter v Scots and 20 minutes of rugby v Italy and yet the big 3 teams left should be quivering in their boots. Especially Wales who are coming to Twickenham where they haven't had much success recently have they Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:15 pm

'In the driving seat' is pretty fair, they are after all the team with the best chance of winning at the moment. One loss could change that but until then they will be favourites.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:19 pm

Gwlad wrote:England are in the driving seat every year, year after year, annually.

The T shirts get printed, the Slam is in the bag.

This year they have opened with a stutter v Scots and 20 minutes of rugby v Italy and yet the big 3 teams left should be quivering in their boots. Especially Wales who are coming to Twickenham where they haven't had much success recently have they  Rolling Eyes

Here we go with another 'Gwlad alludes that English fans think this way when they actually don't, shrinks in to the background with a sly smirk, pleased with himself for having set off yet another argument over nothing'.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:20 pm

Hoonercat wrote:'In the driving seat' is pretty fair, they are after all the team with the best chance of winning at the moment. One loss could change that but until then they will be favourites.
It's just based on having not dropped points, France looking ordinary and playing the other teams at home. Nothing extraordinary. I wonder how people get through life if a phrase like driving seat annoys them too much.

'English arrogance', blah blah.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:20 pm

No9 wrote:
beshocked wrote:The driving analogy does make sense according to Eddie Jones, Maro Itoje is like a Vauxhall Vista.

Rolling Eyes ... NO... Whistle

But I wouldn't say England have played well either...

I backed England for a Slam this year, and I still think they can.. But the logic behind the OP was that I feel the media (and some posters.. even though it will be denied) are hyping up England again.. Why ? This tournament is still a 3 horse race, as put by someone else. If Wales lose another game, then that's them out, simple. But if they don't lose against France or England, then surly having Italy last at home gives them the title (failing an Italian miracle). But if Wales lose, then it could be down to the last game between Eng/Fra... Its just not England's to lose as its being hyped.. Its still there for England, France or Wales to go out and WIN..

no 9 I don't think England are playing well enough to beat the likes of SA,Australia and NZ at the moment but so far they've been too strong for their opponents in the 6 nations this year. I know it's been traditionally the weakest sides Scotland and Italy but it's not exactly if Scotland were effortlessly swatted aside by Wales, Italy unlucky to lose to France, both of these matches away from home for the weaker sides.

In contrast England were largely in control of the Scotland game and crushed Italy. Neither game was champagne performances but there was enough promise to come to the conclusion that England won't be easy to beat.

England have yet another shot at a GS despite us seeing it all before. Maybe this time will be England's year. The fixture list certainly helps.

It's not really hype that England are favourites - if someone is top of the 6 nations table with 2/2 wins, the best points difference, a clean sheet, more resources, bigger player base, two of their toughest rivals at home up next it helps.

You can say it's writing off France, France have 2/2 as well but they have Wales away up next, that's going to be a very difficult game. Plus France in my opinion have been the most disorganised team in the competition.

Wales might well be favourites or at least joint favourites if they beat Ireland but they didn't.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sidestep Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:30 pm

I haven't seen all the Arrogance? just a bit of hope.....Which is fair enough?  The Welsh do it all the time...  And England are in the driving seat...   for a team not showing anything special, they made a few good tries against Italy in the end, they are top, they have their big matches at home......  Everybody talks up their own team, creates a bit of banter.  And ultimately the team that wins gets to sledge the losing team.  Even if the English want to say they have the best team, future world beaters etc, so what?  i don't feel victimised by it.. Its funny, English and Welsh posters do this the most, and yet they also seem the ones most offended by it..  (not all, not even most...  but a few)   anyway....  .  if Sam didn't get that stupid red card in 11 and all of our "world Class" players were not injured in 15 we would have won consecutive world cups....  Bloody referees always against Wales.... Friday games were designed to damage welsh chances......   and they got rid of the scrum "hit" solely to nullify Adam Jones....

Last edited by Sidestep on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Sidestep

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:32 pm

No9 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:So you're one of the posters you're pointed to in the link above then No9! Maybe you should lay out why you think we can still win the slam.

Said all along, I felt England would get a Slam.. The fixtures (order and home percentage) favoured them this year. They aren't a bad side, but have had a bad run, including a World Cup they should have done better in. This armed with a new coach, will galvanise the side (as it did to Wales in 2008 - look what happened there). Their toughest game, will be against Wales, but the new belief and wanting to prove the last result (RWC) a fluke, will see them to a slender victory... But these are all my thoughts and only that.. Like mystic Meg I'm seldom right, so don't but your house on my visions.. Wink

But, my OP was about the hype.. WHY are England being hyped as "in the driving seat".. perhaps you agree they are and there is no hype.. But its no surprise that most on this site have just seen it as a WUM and responded with such negative comments..

Ah well.. That's me done.. Off to get train to Cardiff... Why I do it, I don't know.. I hate the Friday night fiasco.. God knows IF never mind what time i'll get home tonight (tomorrow morning..)... Be glad when the Friday games are stopped.. but that's another thread..

Good luck ALL (but more luck to Wales Whistle )

Sorry but you think England will get a Grand Slam and wonder why some others think the same? Clearly you don't have much confidence in your thinking.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:47 pm

Hoonercat wrote:'In the driving seat' is pretty fair, they are after all the team with the best chance of winning at the moment. One loss could change that but until then they will be favourites.

Says who? the English media and bookies?

1. Best chance of winning? Er no, they have currently the same chance of winning as France
2. One loss could change that. Er, d'ya think?
3. Until then they will be favorites…you mean until they lose they will be favorites to win based on their amazing 3/3 win record and a shocking RWC.

They have beaten Scotland and Italy….as was expected. They have the 3 toughest teams to face yet so IMO they are favorites to do what they always do, talk it up into a frenzy of slams and then falter.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:17 pm

Gwlad wrote:

1. Best chance of winning? Er no, they have currently the same chance of winning as France
3. Until then they will be favorites…you mean until they lose they will be favorites to win based on their amazing 3/3 win record and a shocking RWC.

They have beaten Scotland and Italy….as was expected. They have the 3 toughest teams to face yet so IMO they are favorites to do what they always do, talk it up into a frenzy of slams and then falter.

Yawn

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:20 pm

Gwlad's even more arsey than usual because he can't work out who he wants to win more tonight, Wales or France Whistle

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:24 pm

Hoonercat wrote:Gwlad's even more arsey than usual because he can't work out who he wants to win more tonight, Wales or France Whistle

its irrelevant to this and Ireland will do England anyway

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:27 pm

Gwlad wrote:

Hindsight is good but not everyne expectedd those wins. You for example thought Scotland would beat England.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:29 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Hindsight is good but not everyne expectedd those wins. You for example thought Scotland would beat England.

Ouch!

Don't you just hate when the Records do that to you Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Hoped not thought. Glad to see you are trolling the competition thread to find out what i predicted…rather sad but hey ho.

I also hope Ireland will win so my annual allergy to England bigging themselves up with absolutely no grounds to do so can be done for this year just in time for hay fever season.

What i'd like to see is the team that just got embarrassed in its own RWC show some humility and quietly go about its business producing results then, when it wins it can big itself up to its heart's content as opposed to the usual Champions T shirt ordering frenzy that we see ad nauseam year on year that invariably is replaced with mutterings about how 2nd is consistent blah blah

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:36 pm

Gwlad wrote:1. Best chance of winning? Er no, they have currently the same chance of winning as France
Because they have have the same players and fixtures?

One of the most simplistic pieces of 'analysis' I've ever seen.

Why don't you make some money off the bookies being wrong about England? Because you're just a troll?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:40 pm

You have trolling on the brain gwlad; think you meant trawling.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 6:05 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Hoonercat wrote:Gwlad's even more arsey than usual because he can't work out who he wants to win more tonight, Wales or France Whistle

its irrelevant to this and Ireland will do England anyway

Got you Les Blues flag ready for tonight? laughing

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next