The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomorrow - Dernbach or Finn

+6
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
eirebilly
hodge
Carrotdude
gboycottnut
Hienrich
10 posters

Go down

Tomorrow - Dernbach or Finn Empty Tomorrow - Dernbach or Finn

Post by Hienrich Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

Who would you go with tomorrow? I imagine that most people will go for Finn, as probably will the selectors, however I feel that he is too expensive and will go for runs against Dilshan and co. Dernbach has become a mighty fine bowler in recent years too.

Hienrich

http://www.ukamericansportsfans.com/

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow - Dernbach or Finn Empty Re: Tomorrow - Dernbach or Finn

Post by gboycottnut Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

With England already having 2 beanpoles in Tremlett and Broad who are hit the deck hard bowlers, surely they must go for Dernbach to give the bowling attack much needed variety.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

I'm sure they will pick Finn, he wasn't doing badly in the ashes before he was dropped to be rested and so is next in line to get a chance. I think if Dernbach plays he would do OK but I think Finn/Broad/Tremlett will get the nod. Have to say I'm a bit surprised that Shahzad didn't get the nod ahead of Jade but the selectors have obviously seen something they like. Very exciting as a Surrey supporter to have another one of our seamers in the reckoning.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Have to say I'm a bit surprised that Shahzad didn't get the nod.

Im not surprised in the slightest!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:17 pm

Finn definitly, secure the series with a win (hopefully) then when 2-0 that would be the time to play Dernbach, until then experience counts for me.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:01 am

I think that they will play Finn. I am a huge fan of Broad but they i would be tempted to rest him and play Dernbach. Broad has'nt been in the best of form lately.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:40 am

People "feel" Finn is too expensive, but his wickets have come very cheaply and he only goers for under 4 an over in tests, whilst hardly miserly isnt as bad as people make out. But with Broad still showing an alarming ability to go through leaky spealls I could understand them wanting a bowler who can keep it tighter if required and let Swann/Tremlet/Broad head hunting. Thing is Dernbach is no cheaper in first class than Finn for all that tells usus.
England have been taking an aggresive approach to bowling in tests, and its worked well for them the last year.
The pitch may play a part. If if looks like being pacy and bouncy they may just go for a triple threat tennis ball attack and take advantage oif teh Sri Lankans lack of experience against that kind of thing. But Dernbach would give a bit more variation and be better able to take advantage of swinging conditions. He can move the ball more than Finn.

With Anderson out theres zero chance they will "rest" Broad however much people might question his value. The bowling attack is inexperienced as it is.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

I am not saying that they will rest Broad, i am just saying that it is an option as Broad has not been in the best of form lately. Its great being an England fan and being able to discuss things like this. At long last England have reasonable strength in depth in their bowling attack.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:23 am

eire,

Yep I agree he doesnt 100% justify a place in the side given the depth of options England now have ( Shazzad , Onions and Waokes can all consider themselves unlucty to not have had a chance) . Had Anderson not been injured I wouldve supported the idea of someone else being given a chance. But without Anderson theres no chance that will happen thats all I was saying.
If he doenst peform but England win this test theres again an argument to say ditch him for the third, but Id be amazed if England did all the same.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:26 am

Finn will be picked. Think it would have been Bresnan but for injury. Finn is the next cab off the rank. Dernbach has probably been included to give him some experience of being around the dressing room during a test match, also so the backroom staff can have a look at his attitude and mental state in the bulid up to the match.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

I am a huge fan of Broads peter and you are right that England need a senior bowler there whilst Jimmy is out but he really needs to start performing again as surely his position is under threat.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:42 am

One reason people have mentioned for not picking Finn relates to having esentially three similar quick bowlers. But how true is this really? Apart from the obvious physical similarities are they really similar bowlers?

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:44 am

As i've said a few times I would go with Dernbach,3 tall seamers makes England look too one-dimensional and they need a bowler with something different. It should be swing bowler out,swing bowler brought in. Sadly the selectors are unlikely to have the same view as me.

Calls for Broad to be rested is totally unfair considering he's just returned of a long lay off. He deserves a chance to prove himself,his last test was a year ago.

Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:46 am

LivinginItaly wrote:One reason people have mentioned for not picking Finn relates to having esentially three similar quick bowlers. But how true is this really? Apart from the obvious physical similarities are they really similar bowlers?

Tremlett and Finn both hit the deck hard and bowl alot of bouncers. Broad bowls full at times but mainly bowls short.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:48 am

So if Broad can be persuaded to bowl fuller, which in my opinion is when he is at his best, then there will be a bit of variety to the attack.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

I agree with Gboycs above, that Dernbach should be picked to maintain the balance of the side - one bowler who is primarily a swinger of the ball, with two taller bowlers who rely more on bounce and a bit of seam movement.

For me, Finn should only come into the side as a replacement for either Tremlett or Broad, and at this stage of the season that should only occur if either is injured (Broad needs to get more overs under his belt before the India series).

Given that whoever comes in is only a short-term replacement, as Jimmy A will come back into the team as soon as fit, I'm surprised they didn't consider Ryan Sidebottom as a replacement - OK, he's not the quickest, but he's been succesful before in tests and has great control of swing and seam movement. In the right conditions, he is still a handful for even quality batsman.

Having said all the above, look out of the window - bright sunshine that is expected to continue through the weekend. Might not be much of a swing and seam bowlers match, so perhaps going with 3 hit the deck bowlers (as I suspect England will) won't be such a problem in these conditions.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

Would totally agree. His best performance to date
back in 2009,the 5th test against the Aussies. He pitched it up and Australias batters couldn't cope with him. Bowling short Broad only seems successful against the tail.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

At one time Broad had to take the role of the agressive fast bowler, as the rest of the attack were swing/seam bowlers such as onions, sidebottom and anderson. However now with tremlet in the side the management need to focus broad on bowling fuller looking for movement.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:05 am

I am just saying that England should blood some new bowlers in time for India as its going to be a long season and injuries are to be expected which i why i suggested that Broad may be dropped for Dernbach to see how he performs.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:10 am

eirebilly wrote:I am just saying that England should blood some new bowlers in time for India as its going to be a long season and injuries are to be expected which i why i suggested that Broad may be dropped for Dernbach to see how he performs.

If England win this test,I think bringing Dernbach in for the 3rd would be a brilliant idea. Not the 2nd though England need to play there best bowlers.

Dernbach is a talented bowler though so I hope he gets a game at some point.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:20 am

If England do win this test then without a doubt should Dernbach be started in the final test. I would just like to see him thrown into a live series situation to see how he handles the pressure.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

no keep the continuity, if finn plays well he stays, unless jimmy is back, we cant just give players a game cos we feel like it, keep bowler's confidnece going, bowlers get rhythym, from bowling

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

Agreed , cricketfan90

Test places should be earned. Batsmen tend to keep their spots unless they have a bad run of outs , while bowlers get messed around more.

But an in-form bowler should never be left out just to allow an experiment.

Try the new blokes out in ODIs.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:no keep the continuity, if finn plays well he stays, unless jimmy is back, we cant just give players a game cos we feel like it, keep bowler's confidnece going, bowlers get rhythym, from bowling

The argument would be when Jimmys back you could "rest" Broad for one of the other youngsters.
Who have been playing ODIs etc.

Woakes, Dernbach, Onions and Shazzad have all been outbowling Broad this year.

More likely though England would stick with the side largely as is. They dont tend to mess around and blood players unless its for a whole series and give the contracted guy a proper rest.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down