The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best number 8 in the world?

+42
HammerofThunor
Scottrf
Luckless Pedestrian
No 7&1/2
yappysnap
emack2
Welly
RuggerRadge2611
Knowsit17
bluestonevedder
doctor_grey
Gwlad
Recwatcher16
Rory_Gallagher
Pot Hale
majesticimperialman
Fanster
Exiledinborders
BamBam
fa0019
Barney McGrew did it
geoff999rugby
Cyril
TightHEAD
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
mikey_dragon
Hazel Sapling
LondonTiger
marty2086
lostinwales
Geordie
rodders
Mad for Chelsea
aucklandlaurie
funnyExiledScot
Galted
englandglory4ever
Alex_Germany
RubyGuby
Tattie Scones RRN
PotNoodleMiner
46 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best number 8 in the world?

Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 12 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 10 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap37%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 29 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 79

Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Empty Best number 8 in the world?

Post by PotNoodleMiner Wed 02 Mar 2016, 1:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

With so many world class number 8s about at the moment its probably the strongest position in terms of player quality in the world right now so just out of curiosity to see who gets the majority vote, who would you say is the best 8 in the world at the moment?

PotNoodleMiner

Back to top Go down

Best number 8 in the world? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best number 8 in the world?

Post by Alex_Germany Thu 03 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

Gwlad wrote:3 for Billy

That's one vote per game since the English press decided he was going to be The Best In The World.

Voting for Billy would be seen as arrogant.

At the moment, he's clearly the best No 8 in the Northern Hemisphere*. We'll have to see how he manages against the southern hemisphere later this year.

*Parisse - hard to judge when we only see him for Italy - how is he for Stade?
Nathan Hughes might be even better - but we'll have to see. Maybe the European Cup semi final will tell us.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 03 Mar 2016, 11:15 am

This should be more like top trumps to be honest.

Right now Billy V's carrying would rank a 10 and his tackling, passing and overall work rate would also be high. Speed and lineouts would be very low.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 03 Mar 2016, 11:57 am

Voting for Billy would be seen as arrogant.

he's clearly the best No 8 in the Northern Hemisphere Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

CLEARLY OLD CHAP ABSOLUTELY CLEARLY

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Thu 03 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Voting for Billy would be seen as arrogant.

he's clearly the best No 8 in the Northern Hemisphere Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

CLEARLY OLD CHAP ABSOLUTELY CLEARLY

Do you think Nathan Hughes is better? Or Thomas the Tank engine - he scores more tries. But so far this year, Billy V has been the best player in the best performing teams in Europe.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 03 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

Vunipola is the form 8 of the first 3 games. His presence is generally seen as vital to get England on the front foot. Though he still concedes a turnover or penalty from time to time (normally in the opposition half so it hasn't come to much) the ground he makes ball in hand more than compensates.

Faletau and Parisse have both been impressive. Of all of them Faletau is the most unheralded I feel. He may not be as strong a carrier as Vunipola but I don't think there's currently a more consistent player in the Welsh squad in terms of work rate, especially the tackle count. Faletau offers at least a bit of everything and a lot of some things.

Parisse has been a pillar for well over a decade. His carrying is very good and his passing and instincts excellent. Against Scotland I saw him seemingly effortlessly pluck Italian kick offs out the sky. One of those players who at times seems to single-handedly drag a poor side forward.

I agree with bluestonevedder, four years ago Denton looked like quite a force but nowadays is mainly anonymous and makes very little ground when he gets the ball.

It's a shame Picamoles got injured in the first game or there's half a chance we'd be discussing him along the same lines as Vunipola.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 03 Mar 2016, 1:27 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Vunipola is the form 8 of the first 3 games. His presence is generally seen as vital to get England on the front foot. Though he still concedes a turnover or penalty from time to time (normally in the opposition half so it hasn't come to much) the ground he makes ball in hand more than compensates.

Faletau and Parisse have both been impressive. Of all of them Faletau is the most unheralded I feel. He may not be as strong a carrier as Vunipola but I don't think there's currently a more consistent player in the Welsh squad in terms of work rate, especially the tackle count. Faletau offers at least a bit of everything and a lot of some things.

Parisse has been a pillar for well over a decade. His carrying is very good and his passing and instincts excellent. Against Scotland I saw him seemingly effortlessly pluck Italian kick offs out the sky. One of those players who at times seems to single-handedly drag a poor side forward.

I agree with bluestonevedder, four years ago Denton looked like quite a force but nowadays is mainly anonymous and makes very little ground when he gets the ball.

It's a shame Picamoles got injured in the first game or there's half a chance we'd be discussing him along the same lines as Vunipola.

This matches what I think. Its horses for courses. No.8 in particular is open to different styles of play which means is that it can be hard to directly compare what Vunipola and Faletau bring to England and Wales. I am very happy to have Billy and I am sure many Welsh fans are happy to have Toby. There isn't any conflict in that.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 03 Mar 2016, 2:49 pm

Some silly votes here.

I don't know a single Scottish poster who thinks Picamoles, Vunipola, Reid, Parisse or Faletau are worse players than Denton.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 03 Mar 2016, 3:21 pm

Crane

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Thu 03 Mar 2016, 3:29 pm

https://s726.photobucket.com/user/TM_C/media/thomas-waldrom.jpg.html

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 03 Mar 2016, 3:36 pm

This is Thomas Waldrom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Rubble

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by PotNoodleMiner Thu 03 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm

Just out of curiosity does anyone know of a site where you can see player stats such as tackles made, meters gained etc. from the 6 nations, pro 12, aviva etc.?

PotNoodleMiner

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 03 Mar 2016, 5:14 pm

David Denton has a lot of support.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 03 Mar 2016, 5:45 pm

I hate the phrase 'world class' it is overused and all but meaningless

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 03 Mar 2016, 7:22 pm

PotNoodleMiner wrote:Just out of curiosity does anyone know of a site where you can see player stats such as tackles made, meters gained etc. from the 6 nations, pro 12, aviva etc.?

Yes.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by PotNoodleMiner Thu 03 Mar 2016, 8:36 pm

What is the name of the site pot?

PotNoodleMiner

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 03 Mar 2016, 8:56 pm

Pocock has always been a top player but an Number 8 he is not,the "POOPER" was shown to be flawed,as in 2011 the AB backrow combined blew him away.
The core roles for an 8.lineout/restart option,controlling the base of the Scrum,cleaning ou rucks,tail gunner in rolling mauls etc.
Read due to several concussions is not qiute the force of 2013,and varied his role in
the AB set up with Mc Caw doing more of the grunt work.
The younger man doing the linking/support roles.
Pocock/Hooper as the best 7 is more like it

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 03 Mar 2016, 9:48 pm

Read and Vermulan for me

After that Vunipola and Faletou are pretty much on a par in the NH. Billy carries far better while Toby grafts a lot more.

After that it's all a bit meh.

I'd have Denton and Heaslip joint last though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 04 Mar 2016, 5:55 am

This whole thread only exists because the press have talked Billy up after a couple of decent performances, it's actually hilarious. I call it the 'Burgess Factor'.

On next week's episode:

Is George Ford the greatest 10 the Northern Hemisphere has ever seen?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:33 am

Gwlad I don't know if your stupidity is just an act or if you're genuinely thick as two short planks. Anyway you are wrong.

Billy isn't just flavour of the month - he's been one of England's best performers since last year's 6 nations. Not just a couple of decent performances. You Welsh were very fortunate he got injured against you in the RWC because up till his departure he was our best player in my opinion.

If you actually watched rugby you would realise that Billy was in the England side before Burgess.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:47 am

I wouldn't waste your breath on Gwlad Beshocked, he knows what he's saying is untrue, he just says it as a cry for attention. Don't feed him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:59 am

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/englands-billy-vunipola-is-nowhere-near-worlds-best-says-zinzan-brooke-a3176081.html

and he didn't even put Vermeulen in his top 4.

Brooke is probably the best eightman in recent history, doesn't mean its definitive all the same.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:05 am

Honestly, I'm not even sure Heaslip is the best number 8 in the Ireland back row

Great players aren't always great pundits, I don't think Billy is the best in the world (Read and Thor by far the top 2 for me), but he could get there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:15 am

Pele put Diouf in his greatest living footballers and left out Dennis Law. That is all.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:20 am

fa0019

To be honest that article reads more as Zinzan having a pop at an Aussie like Eddie Jones than criticism of Billy.

The article suggests to me that Zinzan hasn't watched Billy before this year's 6 nations and also just tells me the type of no 8 that he likes. Billy simply isn't the type of 8 he likes.

He does make a valid point of Billy not being a lineout no 8 but you can get round that by giving responsbility to others. Robshaw is being used as a jumper instead.

I know for a fact that Dallaglio is a big fan of Billy's. Of course Dallaglio is biased but as no 8s go he was also one of the best.

You're always going to get some people for and against players.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:24 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Pele put Diouf in his greatest living footballers and left out Dennis Law. That is all.

probably didn't know Law was still alive and to be fair in those days Pele played all his football in brasil and only saw the rest of the world at the world cup. TV screening matches from across the globe didn't exist. Football is a little different in that its so vast... if you come from the wrong country you'll never be able to showcase your skills in the biggest tournaments. A bit like Parisse but to a far greater extent. HIs opinion of best probably came when he was 3st overweight in the USA.

Brooke was an exceptional eightman, knows the position through and through and still remains active in the game albeit not in coaching etc from what it seems. I'd say his view point is more valid than most.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:29 am

Yeah George Weah had that issue of being from the wrong country. Never seen as the best in the world...

There are of course people who give opinions on players without paying a great deal of attention. Like beshocked says Brooke probably favours a different type of 8 but Vunipola has been a standout performer for a good year or so and when he keeps going he'll start to get the proper plaudits. Personally I don't think how good a player you are translates to how good your opinion is and how much you should be listened to. Jeremy Guscott etc

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:37 am

Don't have to be the best ever, just better than the other guy on the day.

What you can say of Billy is that he is increasingly influential in the games he plays and has been the standout forward in all of the matches he's played in this 6N

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm

beshocked wrote:Gwlad I don't know if your stupidity is just an act or if you're genuinely thick as two short planks. Anyway you are wrong.

Ouch!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:00 pm

beshocked wrote:Gwlad I don't know if your stupidity is just an act or if you're genuinely thick as two short planks. Anyway you are wrong.

Billy isn't just flavour of the month - he's been one of England's best performers since last year's 6 nations. Not just a couple of decent performances. You Welsh were very fortunate he got injured against you in the RWC because up till his departure he was our best player in my opinion.

If you actually watched rugby you would realise that Billy was in the England side before Burgess.

Its my opinion so it can't be wrong. Subjective opinion is just that, an expression of my point of view. Yours for example, that Billy was your best player prior to going off with a sore leg, is entirely subjective.

As for your personal attack the least said the better.

Billy was extremely average in the RWC by the way. As for us being fortunate that he went off injured, guess what, you're wrong.
It wasn't Billy that cost you the game it was Lancaster by taking off Burgess, it allowed Doc over the gainline which he had been almost unable to do all game. Gave us some front foot ball and allowed us to attack your 5m as , unbelievably, your wingers were defending deep.

Simple really. And talking off simple, have a nice day beshocked. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:02 pm

Gwlad wrote: And talking off simple, have a nice day beshocked. thumbsup
of*

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:21 pm

Gwlad wrote:

Its my opinion so it can't be wrong. Subjective opinion is just that, an expression of my point of view. Yours for example, that Billy was your best player prior to going off with a sore leg, is entirely subjective.

As for your personal attack the least said the better.

Billy was extremely average in the RWC by the way. As for us being fortunate that he went off injured, guess what, you're wrong.
It wasn't Billy that cost you the game it was Lancaster by taking off Burgess, it allowed Doc over the gainline which he had been almost unable to do all game. Gave us some front foot ball and allowed us to attack your 5m as , unbelievably, your wingers were defending deep.

Simple really. And talking off simple, have a nice day beshocked. thumbsup

Of course opinions can be wrong. If I say that it is my opinion that the earth is flat then my opinion is both stupid and wrong.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:34 pm

True. But the opinion that Vunipola hasn't done enough to be really considered great IS a subjective opinion. And therefore can't really be wrong.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

Opinions are like bumholes.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:40 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:True. But the opinion that Vunipola hasn't done enough to be really considered great IS a subjective opinion. And therefore can't really be wrong.

I don't even know what his opinion was that beshocked said was wrong. I just thought I would be annoying and pedantic and correct his comments on opinions. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:44 pm

It is amusing that someone got upset because their opinion was deemed to be wrong, and states opinions cannot be wrong whilst following up by claiming that the other persons opinion was indeed wrong.

Hypocritical much?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

That's just your opinion Tigger thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:20 pm

I avoid opinions Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

Vunipola very much belongs in a discussion around best number 8 in the form. He is on barnstorming form and for sheer power is neck and neck with Vermuelen. As rightly pointed out above he does more than simply carry the ball as well, his work rate has really stepped up in the last couple of season and his handling isn't bad either (although his ball skills are not yet in the same league as Read and Parisse, but few are in that regard).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 04 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

Gwlad if you watched the game and used two eyes instead of one you would have seen that Billy was one of the best players on the pitch.

As for my personal attack, I am just saying what others are thinking.

Billy's importance is shown by the impact he makes when he's either on the pitch or absent.

Of course he's not perfect, he sometimes gets isolated, not a lineout option.

I voted for Read of course but Billy is a good no 8.

England were struggling against Fiji but Billy and other bench players helped give England good go forward. Billy scored the 4th try too.

I think it's subjective to say whether Billy is better than Vermeleun,Parisse, Faletau or worse than them. Still think he should be in the discussion when talking about no 8s.

Billy is certainly a better player than 2 years ago.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 04 Mar 2016, 4:25 pm

If he stays fit all year Billy will be playing Australia a few times, SA, (plus Argentina and Fiji). If he carries on as he has so far this will be an interesting conversation to revisit. But there is a lot of rugby to go

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 04 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm

Any way your all wrong. Best 8 in the world is Phil Vickery. So good they make him at prop to not embarrass the rest.
And that's a100% scientific fact provable with maths.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 04 Mar 2016, 4:55 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Any way your all wrong. Best 8 in the world is Phil Vickery. So good they make him at prop to not embarrass the rest.

I believe he's never been tackled when playing no.8. Is this true?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 04 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm

lostinwales wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Any way your all wrong. Best 8 in the world is Phil Vickery. So good they make him at prop to not embarrass the rest.

I believe he's never been tackled when playing no.8. Is this true?

You are indeed correct.
Also whilst wearing the 8 Jersey no team has ever scored a point against his team

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Mar 2016, 5:17 pm

Will be a dark day when he retires.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:
of*

wow, it's like being hunted by traffic wardens.

Can you tell me the spelling errors here?

fkuc rof

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 06 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
of*

wow, it's like being hunted by traffic wardens.

Can you tell me the spelling errors here?

fkuc rof

Yes - there is no 'r' and 'off' has two 'f's.

Do I get a prize? Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 06 Mar 2016, 8:32 pm

This reminds me of the dyslexic Mac Donald that had a farm:

Oieie, Ieoei.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:55 am

Does anybody else think that thumb of Glad's should be stuck where the sun don't shine? It would make a great *rsehole blocker.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:27 am

Pretty soon CJ Stander will force Heaslip out of 8 for Ireland and I think he has the potential to be one of the great 8's the game has seen thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:33 am

Can't believe how underrated Lobbe is on this.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next