The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Webb or Davies to start against England

+12
ScarletSpiderman
RubyGuby
beshocked
bedfordwelsh
TightHEAD
Luckless Pedestrian
No9
mikey_dragon
englandglory4ever
Gwlad
majesticimperialman
True Raven
16 posters

Go down

Webb or Davies to start against England Empty Webb or Davies to start against England

Post by True Raven Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Simple question, who starts next week at 9.

Gareth Davies has been the incumbent since the World Cup and has done a great job.

Rhys Webb has played three games since coming back from injury (all away games in Ireland) and has oozed class and hasn't missed a beat.

I don't have any doubts about webbs fitness and I think he's the better player, better passer and controls the forwards better and should start against England as we should play our best players. It's harsh on Gareth Davies who would be a great option to have on the bench but this is a must win game and we need our best players playing.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Webb or Davies to start against England Empty Re: Webb or Davies to start against England

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:41 pm

Is Rys Webb a better player than Gareth Davies? if so why as he not started in the first 3 games?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Webb or Davies to start against England Empty Re: Webb or Davies to start against England

Post by True Raven Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Well he was voted player of the year last year and he hasn't started the last three games because he's been injured.........

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:59 pm

If that is the case then True Raven then surely he should be on the bench.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:47 pm

If Webb is fit he should play. He is a specimen in terms of how he manages his fitness and he offers a totally different threat at 9 to Davies. His service is consistent and quick and edges Davies.

Davies can make an impact off the bench.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:01 am

Don't think it matters much which one plays. Unless psychologically, one takes a loss better than the other.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:46 am

Davies with Webb on the bench.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:45 am

Its a no win position...

Start Webb and if we lose, we'll get the "told you so".. "Wasn't ready".. "Davies better", etc..

Start Davies and if we lose, we'll get the "Webb is better".. etc.. see where its going..

Its so easy to forget, that Davies held the No9 shirt before Webb, and if it wasn't for injury, Webb may not have got a look in... How things go around.

IMO, Webb is the "better" option, but (and this as an Osprey fan) I wouldn't even have brought him back into the squad so late into the tournament and with only 3 games under his belt.

Webb will regain that shirt, of that I have little doubt, but it shouldn't be during a tournament deciding fixture as Eng/Wal and also he should be allowed to get more game time under his belt.

I don't actually think he'll figure in the Eng/Wal fixture, and this is little more that Gatland playing mind games around selection. But, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run out against Italy, as by then it will either be won or lost..

But, wont be the first time, Gatland as done something I predicted he wouldn't..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:47 am

Whichever one starts, all I ask is that they keep the box-kicking to a minimum, because neither of them is very good at it, and both are candidates for a chargedown.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 am

I think Webb is back in because Williams offers so little from 9. Davies and Webb are the two best 9s in the 6 nations I reckon.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 pm

No9 wrote:Its a no win position...

Start Webb and if we lose, we'll get the "told you so".. "Wasn't ready".. "Davies better", etc..

Start Davies and if we lose, we'll get the "Webb is better".. etc.. see where its going..

Its so easy to forget, that Davies held the No9 shirt before Webb, and if it wasn't for injury, Webb may not have got a look in... How things go around.

IMO, Webb is the "better" option, but (and this as an Osprey fan) I wouldn't even have brought him back into the squad so late into the tournament and with only 3 games under his belt.

Webb will regain that shirt, of that I have little doubt, but it shouldn't be during a tournament deciding fixture as Eng/Wal and also he should be allowed to get more game time under his belt.

I don't actually think he'll figure in the Eng/Wal fixture, and this is little more that Gatland playing mind games around selection. But, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a run out against Italy, as by then it will either be won or lost..

But, wont be the first time, Gatland as done something I predicted he wouldn't..

It might be easy to forget because it never happened. Davies made his debut as a sub vs South Africa in June 2014 and then got his second appreance as a sub vs Italy in March 2015. His first start was last summer which by then Webb had established himself as our first choice 9.

Hes been called up to the Wales squad and as our best scrum half in my opinion should start

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Tell you what, we'll give you an 8pts start if we can have one of them for 40mins, but you have to start with Ben Youngs?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Davies with Webb on the bench, maybe a bit harsh on Brynmors boy but Webb is different class to Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Davies should keep the shirt for now. Wales are fortunate to have two good 9 options.

Good to see Wales move on from Phillips, I always thought Phillips slowed you down.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Davies first 50 and then depending how its going get the main man on to speed things up if need be:thumbsup:

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:17 pm

True Raven wrote:
No9 wrote:Its a no win position...

It might be easy to forget because it never happened.  Davies made his debut as a sub vs South Africa in June 2014 and then got his second appreance as a sub vs Italy in March 2015.  His first start was last summer which by then Webb had established himself as our first choice 9.

Hes been called up to the Wales squad and as our best scrum half in my opinion should start

Doh

Did Davies win a cap BEFORE Webb.. I never said he was first choice did I... Both where understudies to Mike Phillips at the time.. I know I used the term "held the No9 shirt", but did you really want to be pedantic, and say it was the No21 (or what ever)...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Webb got his debut in 2012, I just don't recall Gareth Davies ever being seen as wales 9 after mike Phillips, apart from the scarlets fans talking about it. I could be wrong though and I was pedantic sorry, I thought you meant was wales first choice no 9. Well Rhys has been called up but rob howley praised g Davies so it looks like Gareth to start with Rhys on the bench

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:03 pm

BS to bench Webb

If he is fit enough to be on the bench he shoudl start

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:46 am

Gwlad wrote:BS to bench Webb

Same could be said to bench the man of the match in the last game, and Wales' most prolific try score in 2015/16 .

Personally I think there is very much between the two of them. Davies edged it slightly a few seasons ago, but got injured, then Webb took his chances and edged it until he got crocked, and now IMO Davies edges it as he is the man in possession of the shirt.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 am

Davies has done nothing to lose the shirt and Webb has done nothing to win it. If he's ready after injury, Webb should be on the bench (Williams is not a test level 9) and let's see what he can do if needed.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:36 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:BS to bench Webb

Same could be said to bench the man of the match in the last game, and Wales' most prolific try score in 2015/16 .

Well said (even if the Man of the Match should have been Guirado!).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Why should Webb start when Davies is playing well?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Davies has been fantastic since Webbs injury so why should he lose the shirt. It's a great option now to have Webb on the bench and to earn his No1 spot back.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm going to go with Davies! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Surely both are World Class?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Surely both are World Class?

I wouldn't say Surely, Davies's try at Twickenham was a result of poor defending really - lets give them both time. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:38 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Surely both are World Class?

They would keep any English 9 out of a decent team but world class would be pushing it a bit.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Definitely Webb. He deserves a chance to shine in the sun.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:28 am

Sorry I am not sure where else to post this so I thought here would do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35770096 wrote:
Webb scored a try in the win over England in Cardiff in the 2015 Six Nations, while Davies scored a crucial late try in their victory in the 2015 World Cup, a competition Webb missed following surgery.

Well done to the Beeb, they have changed history for us. As opposed to winning all bar our opening game against England last season, it now seems like we beat them, so must be reigning Grandslam and Tripple Crown champs. furious furious Whistle Whistle furious furious

ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Great stuff.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sorry I am not sure where else to post this so I thought here would do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35770096 wrote:
Webb scored a try in the win over England in Cardiff in the 2015 Six Nations, while Davies scored a crucial late try in their victory in the 2015 World Cup, a competition Webb missed following surgery.

Well done to the Beeb, they have changed history for us.  As opposed to winning all bar our opening game against England last season, it now seems like we beat them, so must be reigning Grandslam and Tripple Crown champs.   furious  furious  Whistle  Whistle  furious  furious

Hence the dreadful old line about not beating Wales just scoring more points....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Welcome!!

Nice to see so many English posters on a thread about Welsh scrum halves doing their best to stir it up…..we all know how much such behavior is not welcome on the English threads right. But its okay on a Welsh thread, less knickers in a bunch and more equal opportunities in Wales.

I do hope your team has as much fight in them, or at least more than at RWC, on Saturday. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down