The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months

+3
Rowley
Derbymanc
hazharrison
7 posters

Go down

Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months Empty Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months

Post by hazharrison Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:20 am

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10198513/kid-galahad-has-doping-ban-cut-by-six-months

Any views on this?

Can you ignore a fighter's doping record once a ban has been served?

How did he have the ban cut without implicating another fighter (or an admission of guilt).

Would you welcome a fight with Quigg (or would you rather he wasn't offered a lucrative fight)?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months Empty Re: Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months

Post by Derbymanc Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:52 am

I think drug bans should be longer, we all think it's prevalent in the sport so it's about time the governing bodies took a harsh stance on it.

I'd rather he had to fight himself back into contention and also was victim to random drug checks by the authorities for the rest of his career (1 every month or something)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months Empty Re: Kid Galahad has doping ban cut by 6 months

Post by hazharrison Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:53 am

I wonder if anyone will get to the bottom of how he had the ban cut?

I know the likes of Larry Olubamiwo (who was a walking pharmacy) grassed up a novice pro who he befriended on FB (to have his ban shortened) but the statement explicitly states Galahad didn't do that. He also didn't admit guilt (and offered one of the worst excuses I've ever heard when caught).

Real shame as I was a big fan (followed his progress since he was a novice).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 10 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm

Think I read on Twitter this is only UK doping's recommendation and still needs ratifying by WADA, whether that is true or whether it is just an administrative procedure I don't know. Very poor by UK Doping though, Galahad may well be telling the truth (seems a stretch, but you never know) but this sends a shocking message to anyone considering doping.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 10 Mar 2016, 12:30 pm

Frankie Gavin had his ban reduced also. Very odd.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 10 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm

Hopefully he will get back in action quickly and start to put this behind him.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 10 Mar 2016, 1:42 pm

At least we ban people, Yanks didn't even ban RJJ.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Mar 2016, 2:07 pm

Coxy001 wrote:At least we ban people, Yanks didn't even ban RJJ.

Well it wasn't on the WADA list was it and only one of the governing bodies had it banned. Any decent lawyer RJJ threw money at would have had the ban overturned. Yanks love their drug cheats especially if they are elite level!

Why was his ban backdated in the first place?

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

Rowley wrote:Think I read on Twitter this is only UK doping's recommendation and still needs ratifying by WADA, whether that is true or whether it is just an administrative procedure I don't know. Very poor by UK Doping though, Galahad may well be telling the truth (seems a stretch, but you never know) but this sends a shocking message to anyone considering doping.

I can't imagine you on Twitter, Rowley, what's your name on there. I'm @BetOnBoxing911

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:13 pm

sohotnot wrote:

Well it wasn't on the WADA list was it and only one of the governing bodies had it banned. Any decent lawyer RJJ threw money at would have had the ban overturned. Yanks love their drug cheats especially if they are elite level!

Ref. Roy: He tested for a steroid. He admitted as such and then claimed it was contained within a supplement he was taking. He was six times over the legal limit (and so that alibi seems highly unlikely). We don't know it was "Ripped Fuel" that caused the failed test.

Roy did get his lawyer - Fred Levin - involved after the Indiana commission threatened to overtturn the result, suspend and fine him. Unusually, the drug testing company sent the commission the results (which would usually go back to the governing body). The IBF requested a second test (which was pointless after he'd admitted his guilt from the first) and then the matter was dropped (and largely unreported).

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 10 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

What was Galahad's story? Was he the one who claimed his drink was spiked by his brother after an argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 10 Mar 2016, 6:27 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Rowley wrote:Think I read on Twitter this is only UK doping's recommendation and still needs ratifying by WADA, whether that is true or whether it is just an administrative procedure I don't know. Very poor by UK Doping though, Galahad may well be telling the truth (seems a stretch, but you never know) but this sends a shocking message to anyone considering doping.

I can't imagine you on Twitter, Rowley, what's your name on there. I'm @BetOnBoxing911

Just followed you Alex.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:What was Galahad's story? Was he the one who claimed his drink was spiked by his brother after an argument.

Yes supposedly his brother spiked him, wasn't sure if it was after an argument or for a joke but apparently his brother admitted it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:22 pm

hazharrison wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

Ref. Roy: He tested for a steroid. He admitted as such and then claimed it was contained within a supplement he was taking. He was six times over the legal limit (and so that alibi seems highly unlikely). We don't know it was "Ripped Fuel" that caused the failed test.

Roy did get his lawyer - Fred Levin - involved after the Indiana commission threatened to overtturn the result, suspend and fine him. Unusually, the drug testing company sent the commission the results (which would usually go back to the governing body). The IBF requested a second test (which was pointless after he'd admitted his guilt from the first) and then the matter was dropped (and largely unreported).

I've never excepted 'oh it was in a over the counter supplement & I didn't realize' excuse from anybody especially when you see the levels above the legal limit. Was always a big RJJ fan but always thought he was a juicer as a LHW based on his physique. Ripped fuel did contain it back then but like you say not to those kind of levels

I thought it was standard practice that the commission received the sample as opposed to the governing body? Generally they are the people that ban athletes. The NSAC allowed higher levels of testosterone than all other commissions in the US and have also banned athletes that have failed tests. Didn't they also allow some form of painkiller that was banned by all other commissions that Mayweather was using? Based on that do you consider Mayweather a drug cheat?

It was a strange situation, one the lawyers were happy to exploit, 2 of the governing bodies hadn't banned it nor had WADA. What do you do? IBF fine him, strip him and ban him from fighting for them for however many years? Under WBC & WBA regulations he'd done nothing wrong? Hypothetical question Haz: Had he not held the IBF title would you consider him a drug cheat as after all in the eyes of the WBC & WBA he would not have been found to have used a banned substance?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 11 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

sohotnot wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:What was Galahad's story? Was he the one who claimed his drink was spiked by his brother after an argument.

Yes supposedly his brother spiked him, wasn't sure if it was after an argument or for a joke but apparently his brother admitted it.

His brother is in prison. I don't imagine it took much persuading for him to sign an avadavit - what did he have to lose? Galahad's strength and conditioning had really come on in recent years - Winstrol would help in that regard. His extra stamina/strength helped edge him past Jazza Dickens.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 11 Mar 2016, 1:29 pm

sohotnot wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

I've never excepted 'oh it was in a over the counter supplement & I didn't realize' excuse from anybody especially when you see the levels above the legal limit. Was always a big RJJ fan but always thought he was a juicer as a LHW based on his physique. Ripped fuel did contain it back then but like you say not to those kind of levels

I thought it was standard practice that the commission received the sample as opposed to the governing body? Generally they are the people that ban athletes. The NSAC allowed higher levels of testosterone than all other commissions in the US and have also banned athletes that have failed tests. Didn't they also allow some form of painkiller that was banned by all other commissions that Mayweather was using? Based on that do you consider Mayweather a drug cheat?

It was a strange situation, one the lawyers were happy to exploit, 2 of the governing bodies hadn't banned it nor had WADA. What do you do? IBF fine him, strip him and ban him from fighting for them for however many years? Under WBC & WBA regulations he'd done nothing wrong? Hypothetical question Haz: Had he not held the IBF title would you consider him a drug cheat as after all in the eyes of the WBC & WBA he would not have been found to have used a banned substance?

To my knowledge, Jones tested positive for an anabolic steroid (unspecified). Both he and Hall had supplied urine tests to be tested for stimulants (they weren't aware they'd be tested for steroids).

It was Jones that declared it was andro (contained within Ripped Fuel) - after Murad Muhhamad had initially tried to excuse it as a substance contained within a nasal congestant. As far as I'm aware, the substance Jones tested 6 x over the limit wasn't proven (other than it being an anabolic steroid).

I also imagine it's unlikely that if Jones was taking these for Richard Hall, he was probably doing so over a much longer period (his muscle gain prior to the Ruiz fight defies belief).

It sucks, but there it is.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 11 Mar 2016, 7:46 pm

None of that is refuting anything, he tested positive for a substance (widely accepted to be Andros) that was banned by only the IBF, as far as everyone else was concerned he had not failed a drugs test.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 8:58 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:None of that is refuting anything, he tested positive for a substance (widely accepted to be Andros) that was banned by only the IBF, as far as everyone else was concerned he had not failed a drugs test.

Haz seems to have declined answering the questions asked and given answers to some questions that weren't asked whilst supplying information we already new Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down