The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seconds Out - Issue 1

+6
DoubleD22
Rowley
Michaels, Sean
Fists of Fury
Scottrf
shenglong1983
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Seconds Out - Issue 1 Empty Seconds Out - Issue 1

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

Welcome to my new online magazine, that will be released every Friday, here on 606 V2.

It will be based on all things boxing and hopefully over time become a permanent feature, it includes the latest news for the weekends events, hot debates, competitions and a little bit of fun for all.

MAIN NEWS:

ROAD WARRIOR FROCH IN 50:50 WITH JOHNSON!

We can start nowhere else but this weekends eagrly anticipated bout between Nottingham's Carl Froch and American veteran Glen Johnson tomorrow night in the Adrian Phillips Ballroom of Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall.

Carl Froch who has recently turned to Sky Sports has an ever growing fan base having already fought many wars in the ring, and has labelled himself "the most exciting fighter in Britain", Froch said "The final person to hold the Super Six Cup will have withstood the test of time," Froch, said when it was suggested that the nearly 2 years spent to get to this point might be much ado about nothing. "It's been a fantastic tournament with some top-level fights."

Jamaican born American Glen Johnson was in bouyant form in the build up to the fight and gave his respect to Froch, “We had a great training camp. Everything went well. We went through a lot of stuff we wanted to go through and we came out very successful.

“I have to thank SHOWTIME for considering me for the Super Six. When they heard the name Glen Johnson they could have said, ‘He’s an old guy and it might not go over very popularly,’ but they took a chance on me and I want to say thanks so much. I’m going to go out there and do everything to make you proud and not regret that decision.

“You have to respect a man who can go out there and become a two-time world champ. Every man does it their own way and he found a way. I give him respect."

Johnson also reminded Seconds Out that he is not there to simply pay respect turn up and take apay day, the veteran quipped,

"At the end of the day, it’s a fight. I’m not about lip service or talk. That’s not what I do. I’m about boxing. I will wait for Saturday to finish the rest of the conversation.”

The fight can be seen on Sky Sports, and the fighters are expected out on the canvas at 2am on Sunday morning, with the winner set to fight Andre Ward in the final of a flawed, but well respected Super 6 Tournament.

And Andre Ward was quite vocal when he told Shenglong, “It’s a 50-50 fight,” Ward said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Carl Froch dominated Glen Johnson and I wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson pulled the upset.”

“Mentally, I’m prepared to fight either guy,” Ward said. “The fans want to see Ward and Froch but it is Froch’s job to take care of his business and uphold his end of the bargain and Glen Johnson will have something to say about that on June 4.”

OTHER NEWS:

DEV-ON THE COMEBACK TRAIL?

Light welterweight contender Lucas Martin Matthysse (28-1, 26 KO’s) has got to be feeling pretty confident that he can stop former IBF/WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander (21-1, 13 KO’s) as he takes on Alexander on June 25 in his home city at the Family Arena, in Saint Charles, Missouri.

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON?

Julio César Chávez, Jr., knows that on Saturday, June 4 he has the opportunity to change history. César, the son of legendary Julio César Chavez, might become the first middleweight world champion in the history of Mexican boxing. A few hours before his long-awaited battle, Julio César said he can already feel the adrenaline because his dream is beginning to come true. With much preparation and sacrifice, he is ready to arrive in good condition to face against the current WBC middleweight champ, Sebastian Zbik

AND FINALLY.......

We caught up with former sparring partner of the late great Henry Cooper, Bobby Tate, as he recited an old tale about the gentle giant,

"Henry Cooper was driving back from training with two gigantic sparring partners in the back of his car. He cut up another driver and when they stopped at a set of traffic lights the driver, a small aging man, got out, went up to Henry's car, and furious he punched Henry on the nose. Henry and his two sparring partners got out of the car, the man looked at the two heavyweights and walked back to his car and shouted to Henry " Your lucky your with your mates!"

ROLLING BACK THE PUNCHES!

In this segment we will focus on the career of an old fighter, reminding us all of the highs and lows of our old heros!

This Week: Howard Eastman

Banished from his strict West Indian home in his late teens, the Guyana-born Eastman - a cousin of cricketer Carl Hooper - spent a couple of years living rough in South London. A near-fatal motorcycle accident coupled with his singular outlook, and a stubborn refusal to conform, helped to fuel his reputation as a bit of a fruitcake.

Eastman states he became interested in boxing at school. He said, "I was bullied at school, and one day I hit the bully back. He fell down. He never bullied anyone again. I knew from then on that I had a talent for boxing and that one day I was going to be a champion..."

One of Eastman's most notable fights was with Rob McCracken in 2001 when he stopped McCracken in the 10th round to capture the British, European and Commonwealth titles. Always a great Euro and British level fighter Eastman struggled to catapult himself onto the world scene losing 3 attempts at versions of the World title.

But Eastman will always rmain a tough fighter, with a big heart who never shyed away from any battle.

Read more about Eastman on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Eastman

HOT TOPIC OF THE WEEK:

Is the inclusion of female boxers to the London 2012 Olympics right?

Feel free to reply with your thoughts on this weeks "Hot Topic".

COMPETITION TIME:

Please find a snipit from a local Newspaper in the build up to a big title fight in 2002. But which two boxers is the paper referring to?

______________ of Argentina and Britain's __________________ will take centre ring on Saturday night. Argentine _________________ will be making the third defence of his WBO world championship against the tough Briton. _______________ will be entering the ring as the WBO's interim world champion, and champion of Great Britain and the Commonwealth.

Good luck!

FRIDAY FUN: "Look - A - Likes"

Paddy (Gypsy Weddings): http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2008/06/16/JoeCalzaghe1.jpg

Joe Calzaghe: http://boomnews.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/416ec9515d34x478.jpg.jpg

Thats it for this week folks, please feel free to comment on this weeks issue, and remember........

"Never throw in the towel"

Sheng.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Seconds Out - Issue 1 Empty Re: Seconds Out - Issue 1

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

Are the quotes fabricated or just attributed to you? Good contribution!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

The quotes are good and proper, but obviously they weren't directed at Sluglong.

Decent first issue my Irish Nationalist friend, but a tad too long.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

Scott:

The quotes are real, and passed on to my team of journalists.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

FOF:

What do you suggest I cut from the magazine?

I tried to put a little bit of everything in....

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

Yeah true, maybe the Devon Alexander part, doubt anyone has any time for him after his pathetic showing against Bradley. Also JCC Jr, still has much to prove before anyone takes him too seriously.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

Is the boxer Scott Harrison?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

Thats is one of them, you must name both boxers to win this weeks competition....

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

Is there a prize and can I cheat?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:22 am

There is always a prize! And no you can not cheat!

Was expecting more feedback on this article.

Perhaps I have lost touch with the common boxing fan?

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

That gippo looks more like Boon off of the Telly.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:25 am

shenglong1983 wrote:There is always a prize! And no you can not cheat!

Perhaps I have lost touch with the common boxing fan?

I think you need eye candy. Perhaps a Boxing 'WAG Clunge of the Week Section'?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

Need to work on brevity Sheng, is Friday, can't be bothered to plough through the work I'm actually getting paid to do so sure ain't going to read an article this long.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

If you had a Boxing WAG Clunge of the week section this thread would be more popular than Friday Limericks!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

Thank you all for the positive feedback (apart from Rowley!!)

I think its a great Idea to have a Boxer WAG of the week, and that will be included as of next week.

Called "BWAG"

Perfect.

Thanks lads!

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

I'm hurt sheng, thought my post was bordering on positive. I know damned well I have been far more abusive to you in the past.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:36 am

shenglong1983 wrote:

Julio César Chávez, Jr., knows that on Saturday, June 4 he has the opportunity to change history. César, the son of legendary Julio César Chavez, might become the first middleweight world champion in the history of Mexican boxing.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that. Cant believe there has been no mexican MW champion before (how mexican is Oscar on a scale of 1-10?)

Also, what is the prize on offer? I read clunge, would like clarification.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:36 am

whoops. may have stolen your thunder. feel free to keep it going henceforth.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:36 am

I always merited you with intelligence Rowley, ad I thought a man as well versed as you wouls find this piece a doddle to read through.

If I had known articles over 1000 words long were too much for some to cope with I would have written the following:

"Ali Vs Tyson"......

But each to their own I can not force you to read something, mores the pity, as I would have appreciated your feedback.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:39 am

It's Friday Sheng, my mind is only occupied with how little work I can get away with doing, how soon is it reasonable to go to KFC for lunch and how early can I get out of here and get on the Guiness, however as gesture of goodwill I will now read the article properly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

You'll get fat Rowley. You wanna get on the Carl Frampton diet (spoilered to circumvent the no picture policy):

Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

You'll get fat Rowley.

Believe the appropriate phrase is something about the door and a horse having bolted.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

It's Friday Sheng, my mind is only occupied with how little work I can get away with doing, how soon is it reasonable to go to KFC for lunch and how early can I get out of here and get on the Guiness, however as gesture of goodwill I will now read the article properly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as a gesture of goodwill I will answer your questions above.

1) You can get away with loads on a Friday cus most people are in the same mindset. Take up smoking as this gives you extra breaks throughout the day. If the idea of smoking isnt for you then buy some "Tom & Jerry" candy sticks andgo outside with one of those in your mouth - no one will notice the difference.

2) You can go to KFC at around 12pm, I'd say that is fairly reasonable, plus it gives you plenty of time for your food to digest before getting that Guinness in you later on!

3) Its Friday and its sunny so making an excuse to leave early will not work. You may have to stick this one out or apply for a half day now!

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:54 am

shenglong1983 wrote:12pm

🤦
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

When does the decade end?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

Yeah 12pm, that is when it strikes Midday.

12am is when it strikes midnight.

Whats wrong Union?

You got something to add dicknose?

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

shenglong1983 wrote:Yeah 12pm, that is when it strikes Midday.

Whats wrong Union?

I'll just add that you are completely wrong.

What do 'am' and 'pm' stand for?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

Already smoke Sheng so have got that one covered. 12 sounds good for lunch am playing poker with mates tonight so have to make room for not only the Guinness but the inevitable kebab. Can't see me sticking it out, will just have to make an excuse and accept my name will be mud.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

Union Cane wrote:
shenglong1983 wrote:Yeah 12pm, that is when it strikes Midday.

Whats wrong Union?

I'll just add that you are completely wrong.

What do 'am' and 'pm' stand for?
12:00:00 is more of a concept than a reality. In reality there's a transition between 11:59:99(infinite 9's) a.m. and 12:00:0000000001 which lasts almost no time at all. Most of 12:00 is actually afternoon so p.m. seems much more appropriate.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

As with the decade debate, I'm fighting a losing battle as the 'generally accepted' version seems to over-ride what is actually correct.

No wonder this country is in the mess that it is.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

http://www.worldtimezone.com/wtz-names/wtz-am-pm.html

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

I agree with you in the decade debate, but your logic doesn't apply to reality in this case. Other than the exact point in time (which lasts no time at all) of 12:00, the whole minute is after noon.

I'd say that link is correct, you should avoid using them if possible.

Last edited by Scottrf on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:http://www.worldtimezone.com/wtz-names/wtz-am-pm.html

Exactly.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

It is 12 noon Union?

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:24 pm

shenglong1983 wrote:It is 12 noon Union?
12:24

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

Anyway, nothing else to add about the article?

That was worth an hour and a half of my time.

For it to end up talking about Rowley's KFC and is 12pm really 12pm???

Thanks lads.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

To make it even worse Sheng, i've still not been!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

Mmmm...finger lickin' chicken goodness...

Not-so-secret recipe

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm

You'll all be relieved to know the girls in the office have just set off for KFc so within the next 10 minutes the crisis should be averted. Any problems I will of course keep you posted.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

What did you order?

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

Large Chicken fillet burger meal. Have to leave a little room for the Guinness and Kebab tonight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Has to be the wickez zinger tower meal for me personally

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

Tower meals have cheese on Coxy and being something of an oddball I don't like melted cheese so that would not work for me. Pity because the bigger size obviously appeals

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:04 pm

You can ask them for no cheese rowley.......

"freshly made" n all that....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

coxy0001 wrote:You can ask them for no cheese rowley.......

"freshly made" n all that....

Trust me coxy if you saw the people serving in my local KFC you would not dare go "off menu" I stick to the menu and class it as a blessed relief if I manage to get what I ordered.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

They can't be any worse than the staff in my old work canteen.

A colleague wanted a bar of chocolate, so asked "Do you have any Toffee Crisp's?"

The reply?

"No, but we do have Salt & Vinegar."

Thick as a door.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:25 pm

I get the 3 piece meal, love getting stuck into the chicken off the bone!

But their gravy is a must!

Its abig hit here in Belfast.

Although we have campaigned to change the KFC colours from Red White and Blue to Green.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

'Orrible greasy awful stuff.

I have a KFC 2 minutes from my house, and I've never been.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

Whats your favourite "pig out" food Union?

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

My favourite used to be a kebab meat calzone with cheesy chips, but Mrs Cane sees to it that I've not been near the kebabery for about 5 years now.

Eats 'ealthy now, I does.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next