The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 18

+16
Sgt_Pooly
TheMildlyFranticLlama
nathan
greenandpleasantland
kingelderfield
Heaf
stub
Ozzy3213
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
HongKongCherry
doctor_grey
yappysnap
WELL-PAST-IT
Recwatcher16
LondonTiger
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 18 - Page 3 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 18

Post by LondonTiger Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Table

Aviva Premiership - Round 18 - Page 3 Table11

Fixtures

Sat 26th Mar 16

15:15 Saracens  v  Exeter Chiefs BT Sport
The weekend starts with the top two teams in the league facing off. After some poor performances during the 6Ns that has seen the current champions lose 3 times to fellow play-off contenders, twice at home, you suspect they will be welcoming back quite a few of their 6Ns players. Hopefully BillyV will get a rest, but after some disastrous performances from Nils Mordt we will surely see Owen Farrell rushed straight back in. Exeter are unlikely to risk Jack Nowell on the artificial pitch in Barnet and will have a tough decision over whether LCD's open field prowess will be needed ahead of Yeandle's far superior lineout skills.
Should they lose Saracens could well drop to 3rd spot, and if for no other reason I feel they will just be too resolute and grind out the win

17:30 Gloucester Rugby  v   Bath Rugby
Gloucester seem to veer from the sublime to the ridiculous this season, while Bath are still struggling to get out of neutral. If Bath can rediscover any sort of form they should win, but the chances of that happening seem as slight as ISIS winning the Nobel Peace prize. Instead I suspect we will see a feisty, error ridden encounter - maybe with several cards flourished by the ref

17:30 Worcester Warriors  v   London Irish BT Sport
Should Worcester win this game, they can probably start planning for next season in the Premiership. London Irish need to build on last week's win to keep the pressure on Falcons and to bring Worcester back into the relegation mix. Question is whether LI can cope with the high levels of physicality that Wuss bring to the pitch. I am not sure they can.

Sun 27th Mar 16

13:00 Sale Sharks  v   Leicester Tigers BT Sport
Sale will wish to do the double of Tigers, while the visitors will be desperate to put that woeful defeat behind them.

15:00 Newcastle Falcons  v   Wasps
If Wasps play anywhere near their potential, Falcons will continue to look nervously over their shoulders at LI.

15:15 Northampton Saints  v  Harlequins BT Sport
Probably a little early to suggest that the loser of this game will fall out of play-off contention, but the season is approaching it's climax. Saints results recently have perhaps been despite performance levels, but their form is on an upturn. Quins however are still failing to convince they will pull out of their mid-season malaise.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 18 - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 18

Post by Welly Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:18 am

Manu looking brilliant.

finishing looking urine poor again

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:22 am

Heaf wrote:Just got to the Sale try - bit of a man sausage-up by Burns missing touch from the pen ... didn't spot a foot in touch tbh
Ah I see you must be talking about the 2nd try

Last edited by Heaf on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:25 am

Match paused for lightning, don't see that very often!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 am

Clearly grounded what is ugo on about.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:58 am

Is bet365 working for people?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:22 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Is bet365 working for people?
Sent a PM

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 am

I only had radio coverage as I was travelling. The five live people do not like Tigers, really quite pro Sale.

Having said that it sounded like we were tactically naive again and failed to make the most of either the wind or yellow card in the first half. Playing without a seven and with two big 8s in back row seemed to give Sale the edge at the breakdown. Very disappointing once again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 am

Lovely try from Hammersley blew back for obstruction....fml.

3-15 down

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:48 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I only had radio coverage as I was travelling. The five live people do not like Tigers, really quite pro Sale.

Having said that it sounded like we were tactically naive again and failed to make the most of either the wind or yellow card in the first half. Playing without a seven and with two big 8s in back row seemed to give Sale the edge at the breakdown. Very disappointing once again.
Bit unlucky too ... looked like a clear PT early on not given and then a freaky bounce of the ball for one of Sale's tries (but fair play to Sale for finishing it off) ... but Tigers not at their best either and a sitter missed by Goneva who for some some reason went for contact when he just had to put the ball down to score.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:51 am

Amazing defence from Wasps, all Falcons for the last 10 mins. Finally Vea goes over for the try on 43mins!

10-15 at HT

Game on!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:09 am

Wasps bring Nathan Hughes on.... Sad

Makes 10m with 3 players hanging off him his first touch!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am

Falcons not giving up, great little offload from Harris.

20-27

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:45 am

Wigglesworth looking like a Quins season ticket holder at the minute.

Just pulled up a breakthrough for Saints to give them the scrum
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:53 am

Wasps score with 1min on the clock.

We messed up going for the draw Sad

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:58 am

I wouldn't worry about it Sgt - if we look like scoring against you we'll just drop the ball ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 am

Saints/Quins is a really good game.

Looks like Saints are going to edge it now with a try from Mallinder.

Clifford scored a cracking try too. Serious strength and pace.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:09 am

Cyril

Was it my one eyed viewing or was Wigglesworth seriously one sided on his decisions today.

One especially, Quins threw in, not straight, tapped back and Saints picked up the bouncing ball and were away. He blows up and gives the scrum to Saints
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:16 am

I think he was just a bit too keen to use his whistle ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:27 am

Yeah, I wouldn't say one-sided, but he was a bit whistle-happy and didn't seem keen to let advantages play out.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:34 am

We played well tbh.

Wasps had 4/5 chances and converted most of them. They cut through us too easily but we kept going and looked like scoring.

Wasps are a good team playing really well, if we can keep that effort up we should be ok.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:36 am

Everybody is one-eyed towards their own team, but it just seemed that he was pulling mainly Saints up on technicalities that you see let go every week. Hill was on his feet competing for the ball, got pulled over and let go, penalty for playing the ball not supporting your weight. There has to be a second or so before the player can let go of the ball once he is off his feet, just realisation and reaction time.

It was the line out that really got me, I thought Lawes had knocked on when competing, no issue. But it was the Quins 4 that knocked the ball back, Harrison was on it instantly and away with Burrell inside hime and only the winger in front of him. Wiggy blows up and awards a scrum to Saints, therefore he knew it was not a knock on and just a crooked throw. Why blow up when the offending team man sausage up their advantage from the offence?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:39 am

Cyril wrote:Saints/Quins is a really good game.
Looks like Saints are going to edge it now with a try from Mallinder.
Clifford scored a cracking try too. Serious strength and pace.
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Cyril
Was it my one eyed viewing or was Wigglesworth seriously one sided on his decisions today.
One especially, Quins threw in, not straight, tapped back and Saints picked up the bouncing ball and were away. He blows up and gives the scrum to Saints
Gents,
I just got in - was called in to an emergency at work - and missed all the Rugby today.  How did Saints look, besides getting another close win over Quins?  Were we the better team or simply on the receiving end of a few breaks?  I haven't read all the comments from everyone here yet.....

Specifically:
Foden scored.  Was he really getting back to real form?  He had a serious injury which is tough to fully recover from.  Was he aggressive with the ball?  If he is ripping, Saints are a significantly better team.  
How did Harrison get on?  Was he physical enough?  
Was North engaged?  Did he see enough ball or go looking for work?
How was Wood?  Getting back to the mental state he was in when he won the Premiership Player of the Year (or something like that)?
And, of course, Prince Harry (future England and Lions captain)?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:12 am

Well done Saints, a good tough game which was tense at times. I'm pretty happy with a losing bp.

Quins biggest issue is their kicking, Care as we all know is a fairly loopy box kicker, and Botica's kicking seems aimless now as well. Just can't gift a good team like Saints so many free plays.

Visser and Clifford though went very well in attack. Less said about the wonders defense the better.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 am

Oh and obviously the ref was terrible, we were robbed, all the calls went against us and he didn't know what he was doing Wink

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:16 am

Marchant marching North back about 5m's was amusing too

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:02 am

Foden looks an absolute shadow of his former self. I'm surprised nobody is sniffing around Hammersley, he's such a talent.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:20 am

yappysnap wrote:Oh and obviously the ref was terrible, we were robbed, all the calls went against us and he didn't know what he was doing Wink
I thought so. Happens to us too.......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:26 am

By the way, how did Mike Brown play? I think he needs a rest.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:38 am

There was a rumour earlier in the season that Saints were sniffing around Hammersley, Sgt.

He's a northern lad (Yorkshire I believe) and from what I've heard he is pretty attached to home still which is one thing that should work in Falcons favour. Plus Deano has given him very good game time and he seems to like playing on the new pitch at Kingston Park.

That said he wouldn't be the first to head to a bigger club in the hope of furthering his prospects as an international a few years down the line. Hopefully if he does he won't join the huge list of others who moved to a top table club, didn't get the game time needed to develop and then fade into a solid Jeff journeyman.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 am

Doc

Harrison was MotM and deserved, he was everywhere and making good yards

Wood was OK, tackled like a demon, 13 tackles I think by 50 minutes.

Foden, scored and ran some good lines, but doesn't seem to trust his pace and looks for contact too often

North played well, made a lot of ground and got engaged coming into the line.

Pisi also looks to have come back to life, looked good today outside a very motivated Burrell as EJ was there.

Haywood excelled in the loose, one superlative pass, smashing through two defenders and looping a one handed pass around their backs to set up Fodens try.

Brown was okay, but still looking for trouble that is not there.

Clifford scored a great breakaway try; I knew he was quick, but he left the backs standing.

Ref was whistle happy and spoilt the game a bit (Quins season ticket holder I suspect), if it wasn't for a gale blowing straight down the pitch, Saints would have been well clear at half time, Myler missed three kicks, mostly because the wind stooped them reaching the posts or drifted them wide. Botica had the same trouble second half.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks, mate.  
Harrison is getting serious game time and it's good to see him develop.  Wood is still trying to work his way back to the England squad, and it sounds like a good display in front of Eddie.  Sure seems this is the kind of motivation Eddie is trying to create across the Premiership.  

I wonder a bit about North.  He was complaining about the Saints attack as the root cause of his lack of productivity.  This was half-true, the attack was dying in the centres, but he wasn't coming into the attack either.  I was really wondering about his frame of mind after the Six Nations.  

If Foden isn't running through all the gears by the end of the season, then he probably has plateaued.  At least he has a cute wife...........

What will it take for Mikey to get noticed for the England squad?  He seems to play as well as any of the other Hookers.  

Brown may be done before we know it if he doesn't get time off.  It is good to hear about Clifford.  We hear he is quick, but I haven't seen him tear one up yet.  

Glad to hear Saints were the better team.  When the wind howls, it does change everything.  Thanks for the comments.  Really appreciated.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Just watched yesterdays Sale Leicester game and you have to say the better side won. Leicester were sloppy, lacking skills, know how and to some degree commitment. Sale out played them with a ball in hand all in strategy that was well executed in difficult conditions.

Leicester just didn't show the necessary belief where Sale did and though the home side undoubtedly got the breaks, I don't think you could say they weren't deserved.

Tuilagi showed signs of returning to form which is great to see, however Youngs looked absolutely shot through and very much in need of a season ending rest.

And 'oh Danny boy' kicked 5 from 5 as well as leading they way with ball in hand direction. No surprise he was awarded MOM.

As a game it was never boring with the weather playing a significant role. So much so the tmo/ref decided to take the players off during a 2nd half storm.

And finally what I thought was a fantastic advert for our game, the scrums were strong, well contested and for the vast majority stayed up.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Youngs looked a bit tired, but then so did a lot of other internationals, only Sarries seemed to bring theirs straight back in without bother, which says more about their training and coaches then the players.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 pm

yappysnap wrote:Youngs looked a bit tired, but then so did a lot of other internationals, only Sarries seemed to bring theirs straight back in without bother, which says more about their training and coaches then the players.

Honestly 'a bit tired', I think that's a considerable understatement. He looks ready for the beach.

I agree with you about Sarries. They really set a marker, if they can maintain that level for the rest of the season is going to be fascinating to watch.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Sarries also show what a simple gameplan, having your team 'buy into' it and top of the range support can do for you

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 pm

Thought Foden had a stinker, one of the worst tackle attempts on Visser I've seen and really should have done better against Clifford.

Quins better with the England players back...but still feel we're just in limbo waiting for a new DoR....just want the season over with.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:14 am

doctor_grey wrote:Thanks, mate.  
Harrison is getting serious game time and it's good to see him develop.  Wood is still trying to work his way back to the England squad, and it sounds like a good display in front of Eddie.  Sure seems this is the kind of motivation Eddie is trying to create across the Premiership.  

I wonder a bit about North.  He was complaining about the Saints attack as the root cause of his lack of productivity.  This was half-true, the attack was dying in the centres, but he wasn't coming into the attack either.  I was really wondering about his frame of mind after the Six Nations.  

If Foden isn't running through all the gears by the end of the season, then he probably has plateaued.  At least he has a cute wife...........

What will it take for Mikey to get noticed for the England squad?  He seems to play as well as any of the other Hookers.  

Brown may be done before we know it if he doesn't get time off.  It is good to hear about Clifford.  We hear he is quick, but I haven't seen him tear one up yet.  

Glad to hear Saints were the better team.  When the wind howls, it does change everything.  Thanks for the comments.  Really appreciated.

Might be a bolter for the summer tour, Hartley has had two serious concussions this season and should be rested until next year. I would put him head and shoulders above Cowan-Dickie in all aspects of play, especially his lineout throwing.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:17 am

Haywood should have been called up when Jamie George was injured.

Tommy Taylor is good in the loose but another who has off days at the line-out. He's also one of the worst when it comes to the new trend of hookers standing in line with their line-out instead of the gap between the two lines - one of my new pet hates.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:23 am

I've no idea how Haywood isn't ahead of LCD, I really don't see the fascination with the guy.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:46 am

I can understand the hype with LCD but still wouldn't have him in the EPS yet. He is very strong around the park plus is a big lump who is strong in the shove as well as having the agility to hook the ball in the scrum - although he still needs to improve in the later, as should most.

Around the park he is fantastic and really uses his bulk in attack and defence.

Until his throwing improves, which I'm confident it will, he shouldn't be in the EPS though. For starters his final throw against Wales prior to the ball being booted out wasn't actually straight, although several in the game weren't and throwers on both sides were let off it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:27 am

Hell of a crop of 25 and under Hookers coming up

Goerge (25)
Taylor (24)
Heywood (24)
Cowan-Dickie (22)
McGuigan (22)

And in Walker potentially as well.

in 4 years time that could be amazing group of players to have.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:57 am

No other thread, but I was watching the Bath Sarries game. Sarries well on top, but then comes the most ridiculous reffing decision I have seen in years.

The Ball is kicked high, Watson is going for the ball eyes in the air, Ashton is watching only Watson, he deliberately steps into his path, Watson cannons off, disorientated canons into Goode's ( jumping for the ball) legs.

Result, red card Watson. Ashton who engineered the clash via his foul play walks away scot free.

Unbelievable!!!!
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 pm

It's a red card all day long. Watson runs into Ashton, Ashton does not block him, he then decides to keep going and takes Goode out in the air, and Goode lands on his left shoulder/neck. it's reckless and dangerous and by the laws of the game a red.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Red card all day long, as both managers have stated since the game. Watson totally mistimes his attempt and could have seriously injured Goode. Banging into Ashton does not take away the act of taking Goode out in the air.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3