Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by George Carlin on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:41 pm

           
Ulster Rugby v Connacht Rugby
Friday 1 April 2016
KO: 19:35
Kingspan Stadium

Live on BBC NI and TG4

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU, 61st competition game)
Assistant Referees: Gary Conway, Nigel Correll (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Eugene Ryan (IRFU)
TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

A. Head to Head

25 Played 25
21 Wins 3
3 Losses 21
1 Draws 1
652 Points 334

B. Form

26/12/15: Connacht Rugby 3 - 10 Ulster Rugby

11/04/15: Connacht Rugby 20 - 27 Ulster Rugby

26/12/14: Ulster Rugby 13 - 10 Connacht Rugby

C. Teams

Ulster Rugby 

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar
(1-8): C Black, R Best ©, R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson.
(16-23): R Herring, K McCall, B Ross, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Olding, D Cave.

Connacht Rugby

15 Robbie Henshaw
14 Niyi Adeolokun
13 Bundee Aki
12 Peter Robb
11 Matt Healy
10 Shane O’Leary
9 John Cooney

1 Denis Buckley
2 Tom McCartney
3 Rodney Ah You
4 Andrew Browne
5 Aly Muldowney
6 John Muldoon (captain)
7 James Connolly
8 Eoin McKeon

16 Dave Heffernan
17 Ronan Loughney
18 Finlay Bealham
19 Ultan Dillane
20 Sean O’Brien
21 Caolin Blade
22 Cormac Brennan
23 Danie Poolman


Last edited by George Carlin on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 12842
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks, George.

This is a game we simply have to win. If not crucial to a top 6 place, then for my nerves.

Connacht are struggling at 10 after injuries, with possibly Shane O’Leary starting for them. Think there is doubt over White's inclusion.

Ulster will be without Williams and O'Connor, which is a real blow, but at least we get Best, Trimble and Payne back from injury. So probably Browne to replace O'Connor in the 2nd row, with Henderson, Henry and Wilson at the back.

Hopefully we play McCloskey and Marshall in the centre, with Payne at 15.

Going to be a very tough game, but I think we will edge it, even with the injuries. I am a wee bit nervous though.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by George Carlin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:26 am

Could you be a sport and conspire to make this a 3-3 draw?

That would help us a lot. Very Happy

But seriously, given how well the rest of the team is playing and will actively support and protect a new, young 10 - how much of a handicap are these injuries, really?

George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 12842
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by The Great Aukster on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Ulster haven't lost to Connacht at the Hill for over 50 years, so that has to be a record worth fighting for! Newbie or not, if Shane O'Leary is starting I expect the crowd to get on his back.

This is a home game but the pack looks a bit frail with two aggressive guys like Williams and AOC out. Like you Munchkin I want to see Henderson in the backrow but I expect he'll be in at lock with Diack at 6 - Browne on the bench.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 3580
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:20 pm

George Carlin wrote:Could you be a sport and conspire to make this a 3-3 draw?

That would help us a lot. Very Happy

But seriously, given how well the rest of the team is playing and will actively support and protect a new, young 10 - how much of a handicap are these injuries, really?

Oh, Ulster could conspire to lose mad

Connacht have proven themselves a team that deal with injuries, seemingly effortlessly. The same can't be said of Ulster. My hope though, is that their issue at 10 does weaken them, and gives us even a slight advantage. It's been reported/rumoured that another 5 Ulster players have reported sick with this virus that has spread through the team. We need every possible advantage we can get, even if they are just straws that I'm desperately clutching on to Erm

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:24 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Ulster haven't lost to Connacht at the Hill for over 50 years, so that has to be a record worth fighting for! Newbie or not, if Shane O'Leary is starting I expect the crowd to get on his back.

This is a home game but the pack looks a bit frail with two aggressive guys like Williams and AOC out. Like you Munchkin I want to see Henderson in the backrow but I expect he'll be in at lock with Diack at 6 - Browne on the bench.

I will be really disappointed if Henderson doesn't start in the backrow. It's where he will be most effective, especially with Williams out. I fear you might be right though.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 pm

I've seen Hendy have quiet games in the back row (such as last week) and some of his biggest games in the second row. I'm not sure it is as big a difference as people seem to make out. His pace for his size is a luxury either way.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I've seen Hendy have quiet games in the back row (such as last week) and some of his biggest games in the second row. I'm not sure it is as big a difference as people seem to make out. His pace for his size is a luxury either way.

Can't say I agree, Rory. Henderson was a bit quiet last week, but that was to be expected. He has always looked far more destructive in the backrow to me. Saying that, if he plays 2nd row on Friday, and runs over the top of a few Connacht player, I may revise my opinion Very Happy

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Notch on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:06 pm

We'll see how Henderson gets on as he gets more game time. That was his first game in months- it's ironic, because I think Henderson is a better lock than a 6 and Payne is a better centre than a fullback but we really need them both in their 'other' positions. Especially because Luke Marshall is one of the good news stories in our back line.

A back row of Diack, Henry and Wilson is really lightweight and one paced. And not even that great at the breakdown any more it seems. Henry is playing like a shadow of what he was in 2014, where he was just so dominant at so many breakdowns. We actually miss Nick Williams for his breakdown work when he's absent, which is NOT something I ever thought I would say when we signed him! It seems like all three have gone backwards, Wilson probably has reached the stage of his career where he is slowing up terminally now. We desperately need some physicality and pace in that back row.

Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Pot Hale on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:24 am

The fix is in.

Ulster need the win more than Connacht. So Ulster will get the four with an LBP tossed to Connacht.

Leinster will conspire to lose at Lansdowne once again to Munster who also need the points.

That should tighten things up a bit.

Pot Hale

Posts : 4630
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 54
Location : Dublhkining

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:38 am

Can it not be fixed so that Munster finish behind us, but in top 6?

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by George Carlin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:47 am

I don't understand what has happened to the Ulster loose forwards and why fans seem to be really down on them at this point of the season. I associated that with being a strength of the team last year.

What's happened? And you fellers are currently top 4. You must have done quite a few things right so far, then?

George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 12842
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:17 pm

The Connacht team:

15 Robbie Henshaw
14 Niyi Adeolokun
13 Bundee Aki
12 Peter Robb
11 Matt Healy
10 Shane O’Leary
9 John Cooney

1 Denis Buckley
2 Tom McCartney
3 Rodney Ah You
4 Andrew Browne
5 Aly Muldowney
6 John Muldoon (captain)
7 James Connolly
8 Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
17 Ronan Loughney
18 Finlay Bealham
19 Ultan Dillane
20 Sean O’Brien
21 Caolin Blade
22 Cormac Brennan
23 Danie Poolman

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:18 pm

It will be interesting to see how Ah You plays against us.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by rapidsnowman on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:30 pm

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar
(1-8): C Black, R Best ©, R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson.

(16-23): R Herring, K McCall, B Ross, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Olding, D Cave.


Henderson at 6, Les reads 606!

rapidsnowman

Posts : 296
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by rapidsnowman on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:33 pm

A handsome set of backs there.

Probably what most of us armchair experts were wanting to see.

Payne against Henshaw at full back - the 2 Ireland centres Headscratch

rapidsnowman

Posts : 296
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar
(1-8): C Black, R Best ©, R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson.

(16-23): R Herring, K McCall, B Ross, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Olding, D Cave.


Henderson at 6, Les reads 606!

And Payne to 15 Yahoo

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:39 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:A handsome set of backs there.

Probably what most of us armchair experts were wanting to see.

Payne against Henshaw at full back - the 2 Ireland centres Headscratch

Yeah, this is rather humorous. They will probably stay at fullback in their respective provinces for the remainder of the season as well. And then be selected to start in the centres for Ireland again. Wink

Anyway, that is a good team. This will certainly be a real test for Luke Marshall at 13. Bundee Aki is an exceptional player.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by carpet baboon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Taking about centres in just over a year bundee aki is IQ. Where will he fit in?

carpet baboon

Posts : 1031
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by rapidsnowman on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:56 pm

fullback probably!

rapidsnowman

Posts : 296
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by carpet baboon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:58 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:fullback probably!

Very Happy

carpet baboon

Posts : 1031
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by George Carlin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:05 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Taking about centres in just over a year bundee aki is IQ. Where will he fit in?
I'll look forward to George Hook's tufts of ear hair quivering with rage at the news of another "faaarigner" in the Irish side.

I quite like the challenge of saying O'Aki.

Shows how nutty the competition is for utility backs in New Zealand that Aki may well decide to throw in his lot with Ireland. He's only 25.

George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 12842
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by carpet baboon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 pm

George Carlin wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Taking about centres in just over a year bundee aki is IQ. Where will he fit in?
I'll look forward to George Hook's tufts of ear hair quivering with rage at the news of another "faaarigner" in the Irish side.

I quite like the challenge of saying O'Aki.

Shows how nutty the competition is for utility backs in New Zealand that Aki may well decide to throw in his lot with Ireland. He's only 25.

He has already stated he would if given the opportunity. Personally I would love to see him in an Ireland shirt.

carpet baboon

Posts : 1031
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by The Great Aukster on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:22 pm

George Carlin wrote:I don't understand what has happened to the Ulster loose forwards and why fans seem to be really down on them at this point of the season. I associated that with being a strength of the team last year.

What's happened? And you fellers are currently top 4. You must have done quite a few things right so far, then?

Er... currently 5th - effectively 6th with Glasgow and their game in hand. Ulster have been missing backrow forwards for several seasons since Ferris was forced to retire, Diack turned out to be a bit more Cameron Feather than CJ Stander, and Roger Wilson got a bodybuilding girlfriend.


Having seen the two teams I'm definitely more confident of an Ulster win. I'm hoping that Peter Browne might dovetail with VdM and take some of the ruck pressure away from Henderson to allow him to run at inexperienced 5/8ths. Pleased with the bench too.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 3580
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Pete330v2 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 pm

The ingredients are there to make this one cracking contest. I'm slightly more confident now that I've seen that Ulster backline.
Hadn't Aki stated that his aim was to play for Ireland when he first signed with Connacht? Maybe I dreamed it. He's a brilliant centre and as has been stated will probably play 15 under Joe's regime.

Pete330v2

Posts : 2334
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by George Carlin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I don't understand what has happened to the Ulster loose forwards and why fans seem to be really down on them at this point of the season. I associated that with being a strength of the team last year.

What's happened? And you fellers are currently top 4. You must have done quite a few things right so far, then?

Er... currently 5th - effectively 6th with Glasgow and their game in hand. Ulster have been missing backrow forwards for several seasons since Ferris was forced to retire, Diack turned out to be a bit more Cameron Feather than CJ Stander, and Roger Wilson got a bodybuilding girlfriend.
All true, actually. What I'm interested in is why Ulster fans do not seem to rate their side as highly as last year when the personnel now seem (to my inexperienced eyes) to be very much the same as last year.

George Carlin
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 12842
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:04 pm

George Carlin wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I don't understand what has happened to the Ulster loose forwards and why fans seem to be really down on them at this point of the season. I associated that with being a strength of the team last year.

What's happened? And you fellers are currently top 4. You must have done quite a few things right so far, then?

Er... currently 5th - effectively 6th with Glasgow and their game in hand. Ulster have been missing backrow forwards for several seasons since Ferris was forced to retire, Diack turned out to be a bit more Cameron Feather than CJ Stander, and Roger Wilson got a bodybuilding girlfriend.
All true, actually. What I'm interested in is why Ulster fans do not seem to rate their side as highly as last year when the personnel now seem (to my inexperienced eyes) to be very much the same as last year.

I think we complained a lot last season as well Very Happy

Most of our complaints were about a weak backrow, last season. Williams was a liability and Henry's career was in doubt after suffering a mini-stroke. Williams is now playing in the form of his life, but Henry is yet to find the form he was in prior to the mini-stroke. Reidy has really improved, and is probably ahead of Henry right now, bar experience. We're losing Williams, but gaining a world class backrow in Coetzee. Henderson is great in the backrow, but we're never sure if that's where he is going to be played.

I think we're good in the 2nd row. Our main concerns are with depth in the backrow, and the want of a quality TH. Herbst is good, but he has a habit of falling flat on his face, in the scrum. He positions his feet too far back, and the smart teams exploit this. He is still learning his trade though, and will hopefully improve. After Herbst the quality drops considerably, and I don't think Ah You is the answer to the problem. Hopefully I'm wrong, and a new team and different coaching will inspire him to a higher level.

For me, my biggest complaint is that sometimes the forwards behave as if they're not really interested. They're not consistent in performance, and let the side, and the supporters down. This needs addressed.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Notch on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:05 pm

I think the individual players have gone backwards in terms of their own form, except for Williams and Reidy.

Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:23 pm

Notch wrote:I think the individual players have gone backwards in terms of their own form, except for Williams and Reidy.

I think Williams and Reidy have improved, and I would add McCall to that list. Not sure why he isn't starting more. Maybe to cover TH? I don't think Herring has gone backwards,  but can't say he's gone forwards either. Fatigue might be an issue with some of the players, after such a long run of games, and this virus that seems to be infecting the team might also be a factor.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by marty2086 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Munchkin wrote:I think Williams and Reidy have improved, and I would add McCall to that list. Not sure why he isn't starting more. Maybe to cover TH? I don't think Herring has gone backwards,  but can't say he's gone forwards either. Fatigue might be an issue with some of the players, after such a long run of games, and this virus that seems to be infecting the team might also be a factor.

Is McCall not being protected? After all it is his first full season and had a good run of games at one point

marty2086

Posts : 4831
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Oi you crafty buggers! What happened to this virus that was wiping out your squad? Last I heard they had called for Rory Best's preferred denomination (?) of priest for the last rights! Thought you would struggle to find that 23, looks a pretty strong line-up to me, look at that back-line! There was no virus at all, ye were pulling a fast one I think, there is no way I'll SUFTUM anymore after this boxing

Amyway, this is my least favourite away fixture. As much as I like Ulster, I prefer to admire them from further away. I think there is a risk this could be a game where we ship quite a few and don't get much in return, so I would be happy with a performance and LBP. Big game for Ulster, a performance here might give you the momentum you need for the final four.

Ulster line-up looks strong, I would have been more confident getting something out of the scrum if we had started Bealham instead of Ah You, who was so utterly abject in his last performance he was subbed off despite being a sub. Hope he looks more interested when he is playing for you lot, because he is mentally checked out of here. How have Black and Lutton been?

Backrow battle should be interesting as well, Connacht lads Connolly and McKeon there are young guns but have been reliable this season, and SOB 2.0 of the bench has been solid too. They bring a great abrasiveness of youth with them! Some great set-piece maul operators there too even with Heenan missing.

If we had a full strength set-up I would be confident of challenging more here for the first time in a long time, but with O Halloran, McGinty, Ronaldson, Marmion, Heenan and Masterson all out it is a lot to ask. Only see history repeating itself.

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:52 pm

Also could you not put pipe-dreams of the blindside in young Henderson's mind, let him focus on the second row, he is needed more there thumbsup

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:55 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:I think Williams and Reidy have improved, and I would add McCall to that list. Not sure why he isn't starting more. Maybe to cover TH? I don't think Herring has gone backwards,  but can't say he's gone forwards either. Fatigue might be an issue with some of the players, after such a long run of games, and this virus that seems to be infecting the team might also be a factor.

Is McCall not being protected? After all it is his first full season and had a good run of games at one point

Could well be, marty. I think he was playing very well though, and in the tough games I think he should start (if not covering TH). As young and inexperienced as he is, he never looks fazed.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Marshes wrote:Oi you crafty buggers! What happened to this virus that was wiping out your squad? Last I heard they had called for Rory Best's preferred denomination (?) of priest for the last rights! Thought you would struggle to find that 23, looks a pretty strong line-up to me, look at that back-line! There was no virus at all, ye were pulling a fast one I think, there is no way I'll SUFTUM anymore after this boxing

Amyway, this is my least favourite away fixture. As much as I like Ulster, I prefer to admire them from further away. I think there is a risk this could be a game where we ship quite a few and don't get much in return, so I would be happy with a performance and LBP. Big game for Ulster, a performance here might give you the momentum you need for the final four.

Ulster line-up looks strong, I would have been more confident getting something out of the scrum if we had started Bealham instead of Ah You, who was so utterly abject in his last performance he was subbed off despite being a sub. Hope he looks more interested when he is playing for you lot, because he is mentally checked out of here. How have Black and Lutton been?

Backrow battle should be interesting as well, Connacht lads Connolly and McKeon there are young guns but have been reliable this season, and SOB 2.0 of the bench has been solid too. They bring a great abrasiveness of youth with them! Some great set-piece maul operators there too even with Heenan missing.

If we had a full strength set-up I would be confident of challenging more here for the first time in a long time, but with O Halloran, McGinty, Ronaldson, Marmion, Heenan and Masterson all out it is a lot to ask. Only see history repeating itself.

Please don't take that away from me. It's the straw I cling to in the hope it explains some very poor performances mad

Close to being Ulsters strongest back line. Williams for Wilson, and possibly Reidy for Henry, although it's hard to discount Henry's experience.

Surprised, and delighted, Ah You is starting. Hope he knows he's an Ulsterman now, and do his part for the team Very Happy

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by carpet baboon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:38 pm

Excited about the game. A little less now the wife has informed me the kids are going to the in-laws for the night and were going out, so will be forced to try and avoid the result till the next day.

carpet baboon

Posts : 1031
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Notch on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Notch wrote:I think the individual players have gone backwards in terms of their own form, except for Williams and Reidy.

I think Williams and Reidy have improved, and I would add McCall to that list. Not sure why he isn't starting more. Maybe to cover TH? I don't think Herring has gone backwards,  but can't say he's gone forwards either. Fatigue might be an issue with some of the players, after such a long run of games, and this virus that seems to be infecting the team might also be a factor.

I was talking more about the back row than the pack in general, but yeah Herring, O'Connor and McCall have all been good.

I do think in general we've look fatigued and under the weather in a few recent games and this respiratory virus could be one possible explanation. However I do often feel we come up against packs who are even with us in terms of how you'd assess the individual players and they beat us on work rate and organisation.

I would not be devastated if we hired a new forwards coach at some point.

Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Munchkin on Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:09 pm

Notch wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Notch wrote:I think the individual players have gone backwards in terms of their own form, except for Williams and Reidy.

I think Williams and Reidy have improved, and I would add McCall to that list. Not sure why he isn't starting more. Maybe to cover TH? I don't think Herring has gone backwards,  but can't say he's gone forwards either. Fatigue might be an issue with some of the players, after such a long run of games, and this virus that seems to be infecting the team might also be a factor.

I was talking more about the back row than the pack in general, but yeah Herring, O'Connor and McCall have all been good.

I do think in general we've look fatigued and under the weather in a few recent games and this respiratory virus could be one possible explanation. However I do often feel we come up against packs who are even with us in terms of how you'd assess the individual players and they beat us on work rate and organisation.

I would not be devastated if we hired a new forwards coach at some point.

Sorry, Notch. Thought you were talking about all our forwards. Very few stand out as improved, with the exception of Williams, Reidy, McCall and O'Connor. The remainder seem to be at a standstill or have regressed.

Think you're right about Clarke. I blame him for Herbst not improving, even when his issue at Scrum seemed obvious, and simple. It's probably true that he held back the likes of O'Connor and McCall as well. Time for a new coach, methinks.

Munchkin

Posts : 6624
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Kingshu on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Think Ulster can win this with Connacht having their out half crisis, but I think Connacht are the better team this season, and if they have the advantage in the back row.

I think Connacht have the ability to go all the way and actually win the Pro 12, before I was worried about their defence when it comes to the crunch end of the season and they have conceded so many tries, but last weekend against Leinster they but in a defensive display that even the tightest defences in the League would have been proud off.

With an inexperienced out half I can see them using a similar gameplan and running the ball as much as possible and putting in very few kicks (just like against Leinster), if they can put in a another defensive display like last week it will prove they are really contenders and can mix their game up depending on conditions (lots of teams say they do this, very few actually can to a great degree).

Tight when need be, and can score tries for fun, they are a danger.

Kingshu

Posts : 3116
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:58 pm

We're being very stupid here. Phillips has made his position at the breakdown very clear so we have to adjust and show a bit of shrewdness.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:13 pm

It has to be said though, Phillips is ridiculous at the breakdown. He is ludicrously sharp against any infringement and it is removing any chance of continuity in the game. Please allow a bit of rugby, for goodness sake.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 pm

Never mind, these sides don't know how to play rugby it seems. picard

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by neilthom7 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:25 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Never mind, these sides don't know how to play rugby it seems. picard

It's sort of like Heisenberg's theory they can know when to play rugby or how to play rugby but not both at the same time

neilthom7

Posts : 2028
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:It has to be said though, Phillips is ridiculous at the breakdown. He is ludicrously sharp against any infringement and it is removing any chance of continuity in the game. Please allow a bit of rugby, for goodness sake.

No offence Rory, but if Ulster stop infringing the game might flow, that obsctruction and in from the side has been consistent. Also your next comment on the team's is a bit harsh, the ball is like a slippery pig!! God give this team's a super rugby climate!!

Ulster so far the defence has been fantastic, line speed very strong, competing for everything very abrasively. Connacht need a big second half to stay even competitive, have gotten into some dangerous positions but not been smart enough.

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:31 pm

Also we need to get ah you off for bealham, quick.

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:34 pm

PPS Paddy Wallace has the same speaking face as Jack Nicholson's Joker Very Happy

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:39 pm

As I said above, yes, we have been infringing. I just think that Phillips has been harsh for both sides. He is very quick to blow the whistle. My other comment was tongue in cheek after all the dropped balls.

Rodney Ah You has been absolutely awful.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:44 pm

What a farcical decision!

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 pm

It hasn't really been both sides, Rory only one team really getting the whistle, if Trimble hadn't got it, your forwards wee due one. Still absolutely Ulster deserve it.

And ah you is woeful, I hope Ye get more out of him honestly!! been notable by his absence for all the wrong reasons.

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Marshes on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Jeez big hit, hope Luke is alright

Marshes

Posts : 683
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:00 pm

It didn't look like concussion but maybe that is wishful thinking. He had another great game.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 9877
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster v Connacht, 1 April

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:37 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum