The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht v Ulster

+25
Ozzy3213
wolfball
Cari
Gibson
SecretFly
marty2086
neilthom7
RF09
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
clivemcl
red_stag
rodders
sams
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
Jenifer McLadyboy
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Kingshu
Don Alfonso
geoff998rugby
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Artful_Dodger
Standulstermen
29 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Connacht v Ulster    Empty Connacht v Ulster

Post by Standulstermen Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:45 am

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, T Bowe, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): T Court, R Best (c), R Lutton, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, J Afoa, J Muller, I Henderson, P Marshall, M Allen, P Nelson.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11389.php
Connacht XV

Robbie Henshaw, Poolman, Eoin Griffin, Brian Murphy, Gavin Duffy (captain), Dan Parks, Kieran Marmion, Brett Wilkinson, Adrian Flavin, Ronan Loughney , Michael Swift, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney, John Muldoon,George Naoupu

Replacements:   Ethienne Reynecke, Rodney Ah You, JP Cooney, Andrew Browne, Mata Fifita, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Fetu’u Vainikolo

Apologies to Dodger as i know he posted this in the Dragons thread but thought a new topic would do it justice. Strong squad with only Luke Marshall still missing really.

Last edited by Standulstermen on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Connacht v Ulster    Empty Re: Connacht v Ulster

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:46 am

Yeh...great to see Muller back going to need him for the playoffs Very Happy. I notice Craig Gilroy isn't in the squad, he pickup a knock against Dragons?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:48 am

Rested i would hope dodger

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

COME ON CONNACHT

Very Happy

Run

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm

Probably the same as Trimble last week. I expect Best and Muller to start on the bench.

1) Court
2) Herring
3) Afoa
4) Henderson
5) Tuohy
6) Diack
7) Henry
8) Williams
9) Pienaar
10) Jackson
11) Trimble
12) Olding
13) Cave
14) Bowe
15) Payne

Best Black Lutton Muller Stevenson Marshall Allen Nelson
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm

I don't know why Henderson is there I can't believe he will be fit

Gilroy just being rested

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:51 pm

I'd start Best and Muller. They'll have the following week off, and our returning players looked decidedly rusty against Saracens (notwithstanding the Leinster game). This will be a bigger challenge than the Blues at home. Time to get back into the groove. And we need their leadership. The downside of having an exciting crop of young players is that in the absence of the experienced, grizzled campaigners (Ferris, Wilson and Wallace, primarily), our leadership looks shaky.

I notice that Henderson must be expected to play, though – no McComish or Birch.

1) Court
2) Best
3) Afoa
4) Muller
5) Tuohy
6) Diack
7) Henry
8) Williams
9) Pienaar
10) Jackson
11) Trimble
12) Olding
13) Cave
14) Bowe
15) Payne

16) Black
17) Herring
18) Lutton
19) Stevenson
20) Henderson
21) Marshall
22) Allen
23) Nelson

Nice problem to have, trying to fit Tuohy, Henderson, Muller and Diack in. Tuohy looks to be returning to form. Henderson on the bench for me, as it’s his first full season and he didn’t have any pre-season because of the JWC. His time probably has to be managed so he doesn’t burn out.

Our bench isn’t bad, but the only players to offer any impact, or able to change the dynamic of the game, are Henderson and Marshall.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

I would go with Don with just Henderson/muller up for debate depending on fitness. Whoever is fitter/fit starts with the other benching

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:11 pm

Will Wilson return before the end of the season?

I think Henderson will be rested and maybe appear off the bench, or subbed of around half time.

Connacht are in good form this season, and are a very decent team.

The team that beat Edinburgh was
Connacht : Henshaw, Poolman, E. Griffin, B. Murphy, Duffy, Parks, Marmion, Wilkinson, Flavin, Loughney, Swift, McCarthy, Kearney, Muldoon, Naoupu.

And was pretty much the same V Munster, so I don't expect it to change much.

B Murphy has played the last 3 games at center I take it McSharry is injuried, Vainikolo has come off bench in last two games so I expect the same again

Connacht wil be wating to send Elwwod out on a high as well, and face 1st and 2nd in the league at home in the next two games, I suspect them will be fired up for these, but esp Ulster.

This will be a very tough game.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

Why aren't they starting Fetu?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

I'd say Connacht like Duffy's experience for what really is a young backline.

Henshaw is now first choice fullback, so Duffy moves to the wing, Vainikolo comes on as an impact sub? Poolman can move over to center and they swap Murphy for Vainikolo, or it has options anyway.

I dont know much about Murphy, though I think hes been there for years

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

Geoff, have you heard anything regarding Fitzpatrick leaving for England? I was told last night he is very probably leaving for a premiership team but wasn't told who.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 16 Apr 2013, 1:58 pm

With one of the THs being left out, both Henderson and Muller will be involved in the squad, so whichever one is fitter will start.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 16 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:With one of the THs being left out, both Henderson and Muller will be involved in the squad, so whichever one is fitter will start.
Was just about to say the same. Is Afoa back from NZ? Perhaps that's why there is an extra TH?

Also you could have both Hendy and Muller on the bench, with a 4,5,6 of Dan Tuohy, Lewis Stevenson, Robbie Diack.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 16 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Geoff, have you heard anything regarding Fitzpatrick leaving for England? I was told last night he is very probably leaving for a premiership team but wasn't told who.

Yep - London Irish have been mentioned

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:58 pm

Hmmm, it's an interesting one Geoff. I know Anscombe is very frautrated with his lack of fitness, but fom what I've heard he's really applied himself in training since the New Zealand tour. With Afoa going they obviously have someone lined up already or I can't see why they would take the risk. Maybe Andress is finally coming, not that anyone really wants him from what I've heard.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 16 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

Hey guys just looking for some info on Olding,looks like a fantastic young player but just how good do you think he can become.Also is he an out and out 12 or can he play other positions,if he can play 13 himself and Marshall could be one of hell of a centre pairing for you in the long term.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 16 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Geoff, have you heard anything regarding Fitzpatrick leaving for England? I was told last night he is very probably leaving for a premiership team but wasn't told who.

Yep - London Irish have been mentioned
Jamie Hagan is going there too. How many IQ tight heads do they need?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Hey guys just looking for some info on Olding,looks like a fantastic young player but just how good do you think he can become.Also is he an out and out 12 or can he play other positions,if he can play 13 himself and Marshall could be one of hell of a centre pairing for you in the long term.

I think his most natural position is 10, sort of in the Madigan mould. But I can see him staying at 12 long term or 13.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:02 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Hey guys just looking for some info on Olding,looks like a fantastic young player but just how good do you think he can become.Also is he an out and out 12 or can he play other positions,if he can play 13 himself and Marshall could be one of hell of a centre pairing for you in the long term.

Well to be honest I never thought Stuart would be anywhere near as good as he has become. I went to school with him. He played openside flanker up until he was about 16 (but got injured a lot) then moved to the backline. I think this is why he has such fantastic tackling technique, he has always been great at punching well above his weight.

I think in his very last years of school and after, is where he has developed into a really fantastic footballer, mostly through playing 10.

He can play virtually anywhere in the back line. Lacks pace for wing however.

Good to see BRA producing so many promising players though. With another great prospect in the back row moving up the age grades in Ulster! thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:10 pm

The FRU have the team as this;

Ulster XV: Payne, Bowe, Cave, Olding, Trimble, Jackson, Pienaar, Court, Best, Lutton, Stevenson, Tuohy, Diack, Henry, Williams. Replacements (TBC): Herring, Afoa/Fitzpatrick, Black, Muller, Henderson, Marshall P, Allen, Nelson.

I would be pretty happy with that team! Afoa coming back from NZ off the bench, Muller and Henderson recovering from injuries.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:10 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:51 pm

I wouldn't be happy with that to be honest notch. This is the harder of our last two fixtures as it is away and we need our strongest team. I understand that the muller/Henderson issue is one of fitness etc but Afoa didn't look too shabby in the HEC QF, especially at scrum time and should start for me. Lutton can start the Cardiff game in front of a home crowd and with muller and Henderson in situ.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:56 pm

I'd guess that the reason there is a Dekkie Fitz/Afoa on the bench is because they are waiting to see if Afoa makes it back in time.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:22 pm

Good call Jen if that's the team.

Maybe they're giving Lutton as much time in the team as possible, and split Afoa/Fitz for their last home appearance Wink

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:33 am

Standulstermen wrote:I wouldn't be happy with that to be honest notch

You're talking about one player who hasn't properly trained with the team in two weeks. It's hardly a massively understrength team. It's actually a very strong team. Only two other definite first choices on the bench and they are both injury doubts so... bar Afoa, couldn't be much stronger. And I feel like- if he's going to go away thats fine. But Lutton has played very well and has earnt some faith. Afoa doesn't get any special treatment. He can sit on the bench for one game.

Tbh I think if he is on the bench the impact he could make coming on against a tiring front row could be massive.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:06 am

Given the importance of the scrum in the corresponding fixture we cannot take it lightly. Lutton I agree has earned some faith but we are talking about going for silverware here and that is paramount not only for the fans but also for the team to get something tangible from the past two seasons.

If Afoa is back he starts for me. Of course fitness is an issue too but I would hope at least one of Henderson or muller will start

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:27 am

My London Irish rumour may well be from the same time as Hagan's

However it is clear that they are considering not giving him a contract

Afoa (or replacement), Lutton, McAllister (possibly converting), Macklin, Court in an emergency is seen as strong enough so why waste a salary on someone who is really fit.

Injuries in general have made the club very wary of players picking up injury after injury.
For Fitzpatrick in particular I think they are close to giving up.
It is why I understand that if Wilson has a season next year like this he will not be retained especially given his high salary.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:31 am

I am not even sure Afoa will be back - I am now convinced mentally the guy is back in NZ.

Get him back here permanently for Cardiff, SF and hopefully Final - a full month he owes us that.
After that I suspect we will not see him again

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:00 pm

Can Lutton be considered for Ireland lads,I know it's very early but our desperation for TH props is such that any player who is Irish has to be considered.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

To early ASLS.

Might make an emerging Ireland team but that's it

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by sams Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:11 pm

Nathan White will be qualified next year won't he? I'd say we're likely to see him as one back up to Ross soon enough. Because of the absolute dearth of tightheads Deccie Fitz's international career may well not be over even if he moves on from Ulster. The sooner we get guys like Martin Moore and Tadhg Furlong through the better.

Lutton hasn't proved himself nearly enough (as worthy of a green shirt), but he's looking decent so far. His work around the park is far superior to Fitzpatrick's anyway, but it remains to be seen just how good he is at scrummaging. It's very impressive that he only converted to tighthead less than six months ago though so signs looking good.

As far as this match goes, it has to be Afoa starting for me. The man is world class (even having just tackled the circumference of the globe) and securing a home semi (and maybe even final) is in our hands, it's simple really. We got a penalty try at scrumtime in this fixture at Ravenhill with him. If we are to be losing him, let's make use of his talents in these last few matches we've still got him.

sams

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:00 pm

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11384.php

RDS nominated as Ulster's final venue should we make it that far.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11384.php

Crying or Very sad

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:21 pm

Wow! Possibility of 5 games in a row in the RDS for Leinster!!!!! Get in there!!

Sad for Ulster fans though..... A bit.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm

I would rather the game was played anywhere in ulster above the RDS. Not happy

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

Standulstermen wrote:

Crying or Very sad

censored Why not the Aviva??
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I would rather the game was played anywhere in ulster above the RDS. Not happy

Yep....I wonder would Casement Park have been an option.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

It's obviously a conspiracy by the IRFU to help Leinster win the title.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

RDS????

I can understand that if its an Ulster V Glasgow/Scarlets final,

I hope thier is provision to move it to NLR if its an Ulster V Leinster final (and they arn't saying that yet as they don't want to seam arrogant).

Ulster V Leinster at RDS would sell out 3 times over an dbe difficult to get a ticket for if your not a season ticket holder, if Leinster V Munster can attract over 40,000 for a league game, surley an Ulster V Leinster can at least match that?

I did think that they may be worried about the pitch at NLR after the H-cup final that it may not be up for another final so soon, but sure the RDS hosts the Almin final only one day sooner, so it shouldn't matter.

While I would have loved Casement Park, I don't think the IRFU were ever going to let the game be hosted outside one of its grounds. I would hope in future it may be an option, it will be a brand new 40,000 all seater stadium, Ulster could use it for H-cup semi finals, (doubt the IRFU would grant it, and insist on NLR)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

Is the RDS an IRFU ground? I know it's Leinsters home but I didn't think the IRFU owned it

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

No the Royal Dublin Society own the RDS.

However Leinsters deal is for a min number of games each year, so an extra one would just fall under Leisnters deal, meaning that if it was Ulster V Glasgow, Ulster would recieve the same as Leinster would.

I guess the contract is between the IRFU and the Royal Dublin Society, so weither its Leinster, Ulster, Munster or Connacht play thier the deal is the same.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

Bloody stupid - if we play Leinster we have just, probably, thrown the title away.

I do suppose we would get the Lions share of tickets if the 'home' side though.

Big blow for the club they really wanted it at Ravenhill - I must admit when I saw the Aquinas end against Dragons I did wonder.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

50/50 tickets Geoff.

Was it not moored earlier that should we have secured a home QF in the erc that we would have pushed it? I don't know to what length UR went to but o my mind Casement or even Clones would have been better options.

As a publican if the game can't be in Belfast it should still be ulster and not Leinster people benefitting IMO. That's just a wee personal gripe though so nothing major

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

rodders wrote:It's obviously a conspiracy by the IRFU to help Leinster win the title.
Didn't focking work the 2 previous times..... Then again the opposition did not play European Rugby the week before either.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Bloody stupid - if we play Leinster we have just, probably, thrown the title away.

I do suppose we would get the Lions share of tickets if the 'home' side though.

Big blow for the club they really wanted it at Ravenhill - I must admit when I saw the Aquinas end against Dragons I did wonder.

The Rabo "take over" your stadium. You have fock all say. They even supply the MC. They control the Tickets. The lot.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:22 pm

Geoff any truth in the rumours that the IRFU have agreed to allow Ulster to sign another NIE tight head in return for agreeing to play the final in the RDS?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:25 pm

Attendance 46,280 for the Leinster V Munster League game.
Attendance: 45,147 for Ulster V Edinburgh H-cup semi final.

An Ulster Leinster final will attract the same crowd at least, and makes no sense to have it in the RDS instead of NLR.

As I said earlier I bet if it is Ulster V Leinster it will be moved to NLR, but Ulster V Glasgow/Scarlets would be in the RDS. They just don't want to say this to early as it would appear arrogant.

Expect a statment if both reach the final that due to demand game is switched.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:31 pm

Kingshu wrote:Attendance 46,280 for the Leinster V Munster League game.
Attendance: 45,147 for Ulster V Edinburgh H-cup semi final.

An Ulster Leinster final will attract the same crowd at least, and makes no sense to have it in the RDS instead of NLR.

As I said earlier I bet if it is Ulster V Leinster it will be moved to NLR, but Ulster V Glasgow/Scarlets would be in the RDS. They just don't want to say this to early as it would appear arrogant.

Expect a statment if both reach the final that due to demand game is switched.
The problem with the Rabo final is that you only have 2 weeks to sell tickets. If it was Leinster or Ulster organising it they may move it. But the Rabo would not make any more money by moving it unless they sold a sh1tload more tickets, which is unlikely in 2 weeks.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:32 pm

rodders wrote:Geoff any truth in the rumours that the IRFU have agreed to allow Ulster to sign another NIE tight head in return for agreeing to play the final in the RDS?

The beeb put up an article headed 'Ulster chiefs hope Afoa will stay' or something like that. Having watched the interview there was zero reference to Afoa and Logan simply said all of our guys are contracted and we won't be bringing in any new players

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next