The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht v Ulster

+25
Ozzy3213
wolfball
Cari
Gibson
SecretFly
marty2086
neilthom7
RF09
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
clivemcl
red_stag
rodders
sams
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
Jenifer McLadyboy
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Kingshu
Don Alfonso
geoff998rugby
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Artful_Dodger
Standulstermen
29 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Connacht v Ulster    - Page 2 Empty Connacht v Ulster

Post by Standulstermen Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, T Bowe, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): T Court, R Best (c), R Lutton, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, J Afoa, J Muller, I Henderson, P Marshall, M Allen, P Nelson.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11389.php
Connacht XV

Robbie Henshaw, Poolman, Eoin Griffin, Brian Murphy, Gavin Duffy (captain), Dan Parks, Kieran Marmion, Brett Wilkinson, Adrian Flavin, Ronan Loughney , Michael Swift, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney, John Muldoon,George Naoupu

Replacements:   Ethienne Reynecke, Rodney Ah You, JP Cooney, Andrew Browne, Mata Fifita, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Fetu’u Vainikolo

Apologies to Dodger as i know he posted this in the Dragons thread but thought a new topic would do it justice. Strong squad with only Luke Marshall still missing really.

Last edited by Standulstermen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Connacht v Ulster    - Page 2 Empty Re: Connacht v Ulster

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm

If 50/50 that going to be 2 tickets per ST holder and nowt for anyone else

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Yep.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:If 50/50 that going to be 2 tickets per ST holder and nowt for anyone else
Lucky You. We have 13500 ST holders. We wouldn't even get 1 each. If we were lucky enough to make the final.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Jen

Someone was suggesting that Leinster won't get 50% as the Rabo and sponsors etc take about 20% or so. That wouldn't be great for Leinster fans. Do you know if that is the case?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Jen

Someone was suggesting that Leinster won't get 50% as the Rabo and sponsors etc take about 20% or so. That wouldn't be great for Leinster fans. Do you know if that is the case?
Dunno what the percentage is, but as I said previously, they have a "tings don't control I, I control tings" attitude to the final. Bit of a shock the first year v the O's to have an English MC and no Leinster banners allowed etc. etc.
If Ulster and Leinster end up in the final, all bets are off re tickets.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Youse are all a bunch of whinges. Lets examine the three realistic options we had.

Thomond Park- a genuinely neutral ground, but extra couple of hours driving at least and less accessible rail and bus links, so far less likely to get a decent contingent of traveling Ulster fans.

Aviva Stadium- Large ground in Dublin, meaning more public tickets on sale- therefore more likely for the majority of the crowd to be Leinster fans even in a 'home' Ulster final.

RDS- Leinsters home ground, but much more likely to be a 50/50 split in terms of Ulster fans to Leinster fans than the Aviva.

If anyone says Thomond Park would have been better, I'll roll my eyes. Compared to getting to Dublin it's an absolute pain. And thats my big thing when I'm going to the game. If we can't have it in Northern Ireland (and we can't- Ravenhill not ready, not enough time to make a deal with the GAA or IFA and Windsor Park is a kip anyway) then RDS is the best option.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Notch

I know what you are saying but I can't agree. I was down in thomond in December and it's a doddle. The lad who drove us down also commented that he would rather come back up the same night (we stayed. No better town for it) as it was so easy getting there.

I just think giving Leinster a home final no matter where they finish (provided it's top two) is idiotic

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 pm

There was only one other stadium in Ireland outside Dublin that could have hosted it and the people giving off are the same ones who would be sitting on their arse and watching it on TV instead of taking an extra couple of hours to travel a bit further.

You all sound like clivemcl. Moaning away. We were never going to have 'home' advantage in the Final because of the redevelopment and we've known that since September. I just don't get why people are acting like this is news.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Going to the RDS is news. It is where Leinster play 99% of their home games and giving them any advantage (which a home venue patently is) is baffling. I willmstill go should we make it but it's not a great move on UR's part.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Notch wrote:There was only one other stadium in Ireland outside Dublin that could have hosted it and the people giving off are the same ones who would be sitting on their arse and watching it on TV instead of taking an extra couple of hours to travel a bit further.

You all sound like clivemcl. Moaning away. We were never going to have 'home' advantage in the Final because of the redevelopment and we've known that since September. I just don't get why people are acting like this is news.

Well if we've known it since September why not sort something out with the GAA to have it at Casement. Maybe because its on the Andersonstown road....I dunno. Either way if we've known Ravenhill wasn't going to be available since September surely something could have been sorted out somewhere.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Going to the RDS is news. It is where Leinster play 99% of their home games and giving them any advantage (which a home venue patently is) is baffling. I willmstill go should we make it but it's not a great move on UR's part.

Eh, it's the only option where we wouldn't be outnumbered by Leinster fans Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Going to the RDS is news. It is where Leinster play 99% of their home games and giving them any advantage (which a home venue patently is) is baffling. I willmstill go should we make it but it's not a great move on UR's part.

I agree but I suppose from a business perspective the Aviva is a massive risk as should anyone else other than Leinster make it the place would half empty.

Strategically speaking would we be better of finishing second now??
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 pm

rodders wrote:

I agree but I suppose from a business perspective the Aviva is a massive risk as should anyone else other than Leinster make it the place would half empty.

Strategically speaking would we be better of finishing second now??

No- harder semi-final.

I'm actually curious to see where we play the semi-final. Hopefully in Belfast.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:41 pm

The semi is at Ravenhill if we are first or second, it says so in the report.

We'd have home advantage so I wouldn't be worried who we face, avoiding Leinster at the RDS is the key to lifting the title I think so finishing second may work out better.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Notch wrote:

Eh, it's the only option where we wouldn't be outnumbered by Leinster fans Rolling Eyes

How?

It's a 50/50 allocation. If we get 12000 in thomond are we seriously saying there wouldn't be the demand and Dublin types would get their hands on them? If so the same risk applies for 9000 tickets so I don't get your logic

Rodders the only way to avoid that is hope that Leinster lose a SF or else lose one of their remaining two games. That's not in ulsters control so finishing 2nd means nothing

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Stand, there aren't 12000 hardcore Ulster supporters.

There is a hardcore of around 7000 who will travel to any game and maybe 40000 who go to the occasional game. I doubt we'd get 12000 to Limerick tbh. Reading facebook and so on it seems like some of the easy come easy go crowd have one foot off the bandwagon after the Sarries game. 9000 to Dublin is much more do-able.

It seems like people wish it was one way. But it's the other way. Ravenhill is not available. Whinging on the internet will not change that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm

rodders wrote:The semi is at Ravenhill if we are first or second, it says so in the report.

We'd have home advantage so I wouldn't be worried who we face, avoiding Leinster at the RDS is the key to lifting the title I think so finishing second may work out better.

If we finish second, Leinster will probably finish first. Which would mean Leinster at the RDS with the exact same 50/50 ticketing, or the Aviva where we'll be outsold.

So it makes no difference except we'd arguably be facing the easier semi-final. Although Ospreys could be a harder game than Glasgow. Scarlets would be the easiest opponents in all likelihood, if any semi-final can be said to be 'easy'. Relatively speaking they are the easiest draw.

I don't want to finish first for that though, I want to finish first so we can finish first.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Notch wrote:Stand, there aren't 12000 hardcore Ulster supporters.

There is a hardcore of around 7000 who will travel to any game and maybe 40000 who go to the occasional game. I doubt we'd get 12000 to Limerick tbh. Reading facebook and so on it seems like some of the easy come easy go crowd have one foot off the bandwagon after the Sarries game. 9000 to Dublin is much more do-able.

It seems like people wish it was one way. But it's the other way. Ravenhill is not available. Whinging on the internet will not change that.

We have got 11k into ravenhill for games against zebre so I wouldn't be too worried about selling 12k for the pro12 final in Limerick especially given the new roads down south. I understand that 25000 might be different but I think there are enough dedicated folk to get 12000 easily. As geoff says though I suspect that if we make the final it will be divvied up between the season ticket holders and a few for the URSC. I expect a good few more internet posts lamenting that. I will reiterate though that being a potential 2/3000 supporters under a Leinster representation will be more than offset by playing at the bloody home ground of your opponents.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

I agree Stand. I think you should keep whinging on the internet because that will definitely magically make Ravenhill ready. Seriously.

Here are the facts;

-Ticket allocation is 50/50.
-The Pro12 brings in their own MC and banners etc.

They basically try and make the home ground as neutral as possible. It's not like being on the road to Leinster. It's going to be as close to a neutral game as possible wherever it is. And we couldn't have it in Belfast.

As for the usual whingers who come out when priority tickets for the big games go to season ticket holders; deal with it. Seriously. Get in the queue because the people who put the most in deserve to get the most out.

In all seriousness, is there any chance if people want to keep giving out about this you could create your own thread to do it? It's utterly moronic. When you consider the extent of the work done to Ravenhill the fact this is the only fixture affected is pretty impressive. And yet people are giving out about it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm answering your posts no more than that! If you don't want it discussed then stop answering back

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Notch wrote:They basically try and make the home ground as neutral as possible.

By going into the home ground of the team you are facing?

I won't be at the final regardless, so I'm pretty neutral on it from a personal point of view. What I can't understand is any right thinking person who thinks the RDS presents a better chance of lifting the trophy than the Aviva.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Jaysis Notch. who put sand in your vaseline? Everyone's getting it tonight. Stand, poor aul Clive, whose next........ Some Leinster fan for poking his nose in?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Bad day at the office Notch? Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Jaysis Notch. who put sand in your vaseline? Everyone's getting it tonight. Stand, poor aul Clive, whose next........ Some Leinster fan for poking his nose in?

furious furious furious

Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Sorry lads.

I've just been reading on Ulster fans forums, on here and on twitter some utter drivel about this subject. Seems like common sense is a rare commodity for Ulster fans.

Did anyone seriously not anticipate that a home Final would be played in Dublin given the construction work at Ravenhill and the necessary ground size to host a Final? It seems like todays announcement is something everyone with two braincells should have or could have already worked out and yet there are a load of Ulster fans acting shocked and outraged.

If people stopped and thought about this for even two seconds they would realise that we essentially have no choice. They want to give out about this- but if we weren't upgrading the stadium we'd be giving out about the low capacity. We manage to upgrade it with only one potential game being affected, and they're giving out about that. But if we had postponed work to bring in temporary stands and it wasn't ready for next season we'd presumably be giving out about that too.

Sometimes it's constructive to complain, and sometimes there is just whinging for the sake of whinging.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Notch wrote:
Sometimes it's constructive to complain, and sometimes there is just whinging for the sake of whinging.

...and sometimes other people simply don't agree with you and you should respect and listen to their point of view without insulting or patronising them thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 am

I don't disagree that its a bad thing we can't have this game at home, if it comes to that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 am

I can fully understand Ulster supporters not being happy with the fixture. I'm not, even though it was anticipated. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Turnipstan is an option I guess, but I do think the length of travel might be an issue.
The RDS can't be considered as a neutral venue when playing against Leinster. Even if the Rabo were to drape 'THIS IS REALLY ULSTER' banners all over the stadium. Nobody would fall for it.
Home advantage Leinster.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 am

I think its a shame that the game isn't in Thomond. Full stadium - no Leinster and Ulster fans. Just a load of us Munster boys muttering how its nice to have enjoyed the spectacle but we were the real winners having made it to the Semi Finals of the Heineken Cup . . . .

Whistle
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am

I think the whole damn thing is a buckin disgrace and everyone needs to buck up their ideas and do whatever it takes to make me happy. I simply won't take no for an answer.

Intolerable

Surely the STHs would be happy to share their seats with others, a cheek each if you will. Then we could all fit in Ravenhill for the final.

Run

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 am

Notch your being a bit harsh, esp to Stand.

I happen to agree with stand that I don't believe that the RDS is th ebest option, if we were to meet Leinster.
Against anyone else fine, but if against Leinster there should be provision to move to NLR.

You fear that by going to NLR that there will be loads more Leinster fans, and Ulster would sell enough tickets. we filled NLR for the H-cup semi final and Edinburgh didn't bring loads of fans.

By having it at RDS you seam to think that the 50/50 allocation will make it a neutral venue, no way will it, Crowd support is only part of home advantage, is usually a psychological advantage as a result of playing in familiar facilities and in front of supportive fans.

1) There is a base instinct in us all to defend our homes, in sports this is transfered to the pitch, and a basic instint to defend the pitch, more physical the game the more this comes into it.

2) familiar with the rotunine,
Players being accustomed to peculiar environmental conditions of their home area. When at home you can stay in your own house, you know what time to leave, you know where you are going, your comofortable with the rotunine, when away you are out of your comfort zone, and can become nervous or worry, about getting there where the changing room is, is your kit there etc etc, that is why teams have the travel arrangers and kitmen etc, To try and minamise travel considerations to environmental factors that may distract a players mind.

3) familiar with the grounds,
Leinster have played/trained at the RDS loads, Ulster once a year.
A leinster player will catch sight of a post or edge of a stand, or floodlight or other detail and know excatly where they are on the pitch, whereas Ulster will have to take a bit more time to get their bearings.

IE Madigan could see some sand used to cover up a patch of the pitch, he knows exactly where he is and how hard and what direction to kick the ball to not go out on the full/or to be chased, without even looking up. P Jackson in same position, has to look up get his bearings, and look how far the line is away.

4) Crowd involvement

For me having about 8000 Ulster and 8000 Leinster (2000 sponors etc) in the RDS, would have a Neutral crowd, but all other factors are in Leinsters favour. In NLR, we may lose Neutral Crowd (to be honest i think Ulster could sell 20,000 tickets and keep it neutral), but it would even up the other factors more.

The argument Notch isn't that we didn't know/think a home final would be in Ravenhill, its that we thought a home final against leinster would be in NRL or Thomond, but not thier backyard.

PS just in case it is in the RDS, i saw that Fermanagh were due to host Cavan in GAA but due to G8 summit, Fermanagh will have to travel and they don't want the fans all traveling though a highly secured area. Cavan agreed that next time they are due to host Fermanagh, they will swap home advanage.

Do you think Leinster will do the same for us?

Ie next year they top the league and have home advantage, due to face Ulster, and play it in Ravenhill, just to make it even?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 am

Kingshu wrote:Notch your being a bit harsh, esp to Stand.

I happen to agree with stand that I don't believe that the RDS is th ebest option, if we were to meet Leinster.
Against anyone else fine, but if against Leinster there should be provision to move to NLR.

You fear that by going to NLR that there will be loads more Leinster fans, and Ulster would sell enough tickets. we filled NLR for the H-cup semi final and Edinburgh didn't bring loads of fans.

By having it at RDS you seam to think that the 50/50 allocation will make it a neutral venue, no way will it, Crowd support is only part of home advantage, is usually a psychological advantage as a result of playing in familiar facilities and in front of supportive fans.

1) There is a base instinct in us all to defend our homes, in sports this is transfered to the pitch, and a basic instint to defend the pitch, more physical the game the more this comes into it.

2) familiar with the rotunine,
Players being accustomed to peculiar environmental conditions of their home area. When at home you can stay in your own house, you know what time to leave, you know where you are going, your comofortable with the rotunine, when away you are out of your comfort zone, and can become nervous or worry, about getting there where the changing room is, is your kit there etc etc, that is why teams have the travel arrangers and kitmen etc, To try and minamise travel considerations to environmental factors that may distract a players mind.

3) familiar with the grounds,
Leinster have played/trained at the RDS loads, Ulster once a year.
A leinster player will catch sight of a post or edge of a stand, or floodlight or other detail and know excatly where they are on the pitch, whereas Ulster will have to take a bit more time to get their bearings.

IE Madigan could see some sand used to cover up a patch of the pitch, he knows exactly where he is and how hard and what direction to kick the ball to not go out on the full/or to be chased, without even looking up. P Jackson in same position, has to look up get his bearings, and look how far the line is away.

4) Crowd involvement

For me having about 8000 Ulster and 8000 Leinster (2000 sponors etc) in the RDS, would have a Neutral crowd, but all other factors are in Leinsters favour. In NLR, we may lose Neutral Crowd (to be honest i think Ulster could sell 20,000 tickets and keep it neutral), but it would even up the other factors more.

The argument Notch isn't that we didn't know/think a home final would be in Ravenhill, its that we thought a home final against leinster would be in NRL or Thomond, but not thier backyard.

PS just in case it is in the RDS, i saw that Fermanagh were due to host Cavan in GAA but due to G8 summit, Fermanagh will have to travel and they don't want the fans all traveling though a highly secured area. Cavan agreed that next time they are due to host Fermanagh, they will swap home advanage.

Do you think Leinster will do the same for us?

Ie next year they top the league and have home advantage, due to face Ulster, and play it in Ravenhill, just to make it even?

Exactly Kingshu. I'd have though that was all fairly obvious but unfortunately not....

P.S. Would you please stop calling the Aviva the NLR ...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:17 am

I sorry guys there were 'lies' being spoken by Logan yesterday.

We were told a HC QF would be at Ravenhill - that means the Memorial end would have had to be completed by next week

We were told a Pro 12 SF would be at Ravenhill - ditto the above

We were told they believed that the a Pro12 final could be held at Ravewnhill that means the Aquinas end being finished as well

He said yesterday the new stand (or was it stands?) were 'never' going to be finished.

What he said yesterday doesn't match we with what he said inthe New Year.

Deeply disappointed in the duplicity of his comments - I thought he was better that.

He also lied about consulting Ulster supporters - really who ??????

Mr Logan I don't believe you mad boxing

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 am

#awkward

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 am

geoff998rugby wrote:I sorry guys there were 'lies' being spoken by Logan yesterday.

He said yesterday the new stand (or was it stands?) were 'never' going to be finished.

Well I don't know about what yer man said, and I don't really care. Based on talking with Rava already knew there was little to no chance of the ground being ready from way back.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 am

Anyway this is all well and good and maybe deserves its own thread, but lets get back to what the article was about

Connacht V Ulster

Very difficult game, Connacht are looking to better last seasons 8th place, and would be a good way to send of departing Elwood.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 am

Notch wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:I sorry guys there were 'lies' being spoken by Logan yesterday.

Well I don't know about what yer man said, and I don't really care. Based on talking with Rava already knew there was little to no chance of the ground being ready from way back.

Rav is indirectly involved in the redevelopment, so he would be the man in the know (so to speak)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 am

This is a difficult game but winnable.

I maintain though that winning the title is the priority and I don't see us winning it against Leinster at the RDS. Therefore we might be better off losing this game and winning the final home game and taking second place.

Home SF against Ospreys and a likely final against Leinster at the Aviva as the away team.

Best case would be Leinster dropping out of the top 2 and us finishing top but I can't see that happening after them beating Munster, although they still have Ospreys to play.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 am

Nonsense. We beat Leinster at the RDS in a real away game.

We can beat any team in this league, anywhere.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Notch wrote:

Rav is indirectly involved in the redevelopment, so he would be the man in the know (so to speak)

A man in the know he is, he also suspected that Ulster would pick the Aviva for the final so obvously he also falls into Notches category of Ulster fans who lack two brain cells.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RF09 Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 am

All a bit harsh some of this I feel...Sad

We all know what development projects are like...there's an estimated date & an actual completion date. While hosting any such QF, SF or F's is obviously what we all want it was always going to be just hopeful to achieve this this season.

I do agree with most here however that there simply are no real alternatives to Dublin (assuming the subject of any GAA ground has not been considered - seems to be a no go there.). Thomond is obviously disregarded for the travel reason...its can be the only reason. What, like some, I am a little surprised about is the choice of RDS instead of the Aviva, but there must be ticketing or pitch condition reasons for this. No can argue against that he RDS is home for Leinster..fact..regardless of how it is spun....but then...to an extent so is the Aviva.

I consider myself fairly hardcore travelling from the centre of Europe to watch ulster on a few occasions, mostly away in the HC due to flight connections and cost (includes last 2 twickenham visits)...I have seen them loose all but once in recent years - in Bath when poor young Nev scored a great try. So, I for once would love another trip to Dublin to watch Ulster in another final regardless of which ground! Smile.

...I do prefer it though when we were all happy with our lot and accepted the way things are...Smile. Remember we have to get there first....we can't say thats a certainty.

PS. This time next year we could be a home for QF, SF or F's...and we will look back on 3 years and say...wow what a transformation in the last 3 years Smile. Actually wait...we can already say this!

over and out Smile Smile

RF09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am

We were told a HC QF would be at Ravenhill - that means the Memorial end would have had to be completed by next week

We were told a Pro 12 SF would be at Ravenhill - ditto the above

We were told they believed that the a Pro12 final could be held at Ravewnhill that means the Aquinas end being finished as well

What he said yesterday doesn't match we with what he said inthe New Year.

Deeply disappointed in the duplicity of his comments - I thought he was better that.

He also lied about consulting Ulster supporters - really who ??????

Mr Logan I don't believe you mad boxing

Ah. It all falls into place now.

Why you kept banging on about the need for 15000 capacity at the Rabo semi etc. when there are no such rules.

There is a 15000 regulation for the HC QUARTER (not Semi) final. Ulster could have had one had they not lost in Ravers to Northampton.

However, as we all know, the HC QUARTER finals were played almost 3 weeks ago.

Next weekend is the semi final, which could not have been held in Ravenhill even if the capacity was 1000000, as it can not be held in the designated "home" ground, but in a venue approved by the ERC in the "home country" of the team which can hold a minimum of 20000. This is why Clermont are playing Munster in Montpelier.

The Rabo final could have been played in Ravers if it had a capacity of 18000 that Celtic Rugby and the health and safety people were happy with. Guaranteed not to happen for a good while now.

I would say that the "news" you had containing those numbers was from pre season.

BTW what is the "final" capacity when it is all finished? I remember something about 23000. Or did I dream that?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 am

rodders wrote:A man in the know he is, he also suspected that Ulster would pick the Aviva for the final so obvously he also falls into Notches category of Ulster fans who lack two brain cells.

Given I said anyone with two brain cells could see the Final would be in Dublin... without specifying which stadium... I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

The reason we picked the RDS over the Aviva is so we wouldn't be outnumbered by Leinster fans. To be honest, I don't really care which stadium its in once its in Dublin. I'm pleased with the RDS though, because it promises to have a cracking atmosphere and hopefully a 50/50 split. Leinster would unfortunately have slight home advantage but thats the case with any game in Dublin.

My whole point is that people are complaining that we can't hold the final in Belfast, yet that was patently never an option. Move on.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 am

rodders wrote:This is a difficult game but winnable.

I maintain though that winning the title is the priority and I don't see us winning it against Leinster at the RDS. Therefore we might be better off losing this game and winning the final home game and taking second place.

Home SF against Ospreys and a likely final against Leinster at the Aviva as the away team.

Best case would be Leinster dropping out of the top 2 and us finishing top but I can't see that happening after them beating Munster, although they still have Ospreys to play.
Here's what's happening lads. Glasgow to lose to the Ospreys. Scarlets to win their last 2 along with Ulster and Leinster.

Semis to be Ulster v Glasgow and Leinster v Scarlets................ Final in Glasgow v the Scarlets...

Worry about Connacht first. Then worry about winning your semi. We'll worry about the Zebras and Ospreys and our semi. Then we'll see where we go.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 am

Notch wrote:
rodders wrote:A man in the know he is, he also suspected that Ulster would pick the Aviva for the final so obvously he also falls into Notches category of Ulster fans who lack two brain cells.

Given I said anyone with two brain cells could see the Final would be in Dublin... without specifying which stadium... I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

The reason we picked the RDS over the Aviva is so we wouldn't be outnumbered by Leinster fans. To be honest, I don't really care which stadium its in once its in Dublin. I'm pleased with the RDS though, because it promises to have a cracking atmosphere and hopefully a 50/50 split. Leinster would unfortunately have slight home advantage but thats the case with any game in Dublin.

My whole point is that people are complaining that we can't hold the final in Belfast, yet that was patently never an option. Move on.

No one on here has complained it should be in Belfast. Most accept that Ravenhill was never an option but the many seem to agree that the RDS is the worst of the options available for reasons Kingshu has succinctly summed up.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 am

rodders wrote:No one on here has complained it should be in Belfast. Most accept that Ravenhill was never an option but the many seem to agree that the RDS is the worst of the options available for reasons Kingshu has succinctly summed up.

Well, it's very easy for you to say that when you're not going to be travelling to the game. The extra pain of trying to get to Limerick isn't something I need in my life. I also think it's not in our advantage to be outnumbered by Leinster fans in the Aviva.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 am

Agree with guys who are talking about connacht. That's all we need to focus on and the team will be announced shortly.

On Uafc there are some serious stories being thrown about regarding crozier in the telegraph and the emergence of this story. Clearly it wasn't a planned announcement.

Anyway what's done is done o let's get on with making sure we get a 'home' semi/final

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Notch wrote:
rodders wrote:No one on here has complained it should be in Belfast. Most accept that Ravenhill was never an option but the many seem to agree that the RDS is the worst of the options available for reasons Kingshu has succinctly summed up.

Well, it's very easy for you to say that when you're not going to be travelling to the game. The extra pain of trying to get to Limerick isn't something I need in my life. I also think it's not in our advantage to be outnumbered by Leinster fans in the Aviva.

Notch this is the issue, most other fans here are mainly concerned about our chances of winning or losing the final should we get there, whereas your priority seems to be your own convenience.

People are arguing two different points.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm

In fairness, Notch, if we were only to talk about things we can change, we might as well shut down this form. We couldn't stop Deccie picking ROG; didn't stop us moaning.

Personally, I am annoyed it won’t be in Belfast. Such a missed opportunity.

If we get a home final, it should have been in Belfast. There should be local pub managers licking their lips and planning drinks promotions. There should be banners up at the City Hall or Royal Avenue saying “GOOD LUCK ULSTER!” There should be special buses or trains put on to bring up our Southern brethren, should we be playing them. It should be on the massive screen in front of the City Hall. Shop-owners should have been thinking “will I take Euro today?” Visiting fans to the final should be thinking, “maybe I’ll come over for the Rabo away game next season, or if we’re in the same HEC group.”

Belfast should be benefitting. That is the way Ulster Rugby will become more popular, and feature more significantly in the culture of the place.

Playing a hard-earned “home” final in Dublin is not the path to Logan’s famed “world domination”. We’ve already won a final in Dublin, and I thought the sport would kick on and grow in popularity. It didn’t.

Should we get to the final, we could have brought the rest of the city with us. It could have been a party, and we could have drawn them in. We could have seen Logan on the news, thanking the GAA for letting us use Casement, talking in a corny but sincere way about sport bringing communities together.

Instead, it’s a load of sports fans travelling a hundred miles away to the benefit of another city’s (read “another province’s”) cash registers .

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:In fairness, Notch, if we were only to talk about things we can change, we might as well shut down this form. We couldn't stop Deccie picking ROG; didn't stop us moaning.

Personally, I am annoyed it won’t be in Belfast. Such a missed opportunity.

If we get a home final, it should have been in Belfast. There should be local pub managers licking their lips and planning drinks promotions. There should be banners up at the City Hall or Royal Avenue saying “GOOD LUCK ULSTER!” There should be special buses or trains put on to bring up our Southern brethren, should we be playing them. It should be on the massive screen in front of the City Hall. Shop-owners should have been thinking “will I take Euro today?” Visiting fans to the final should be thinking, “maybe I’ll come over for the Rabo away game next season, or if we’re in the same HEC group.”

Belfast should be benefitting. That is the way Ulster Rugby will become more popular, and feature more significantly in the culture of the place.

Playing a hard-earned “home” final in Dublin is not the path to Logan’s famed “world domination”. We’ve already won a final in Dublin, and I thought the sport would kick on and grow in popularity. It didn’t.

Should we get to the final, we could have brought the rest of the city with us. It could have been a party, and we could have drawn them in. We could have seen Logan on the news, thanking the GAA for letting us use Casement, talking in a corny but sincere way about sport bringing communities together.

Instead, it’s a load of sports fans travelling a hundred miles away to the benefit of another city’s (read “another province’s”) cash registers .

Good post Don.

Logan hasn't done hmself any favours out of this. He claims it was never an option to hold the game at ravers and to be honest that's fair enough, we are building for the future. If we had known so long ago though we should have been exploring options like casement etc while it was do-able. Anyway let's get there first

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next