The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

+33
sportform
John Cregan
4putt
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
NedB-H
Jermaine2015
JAS
Hero
Mad for Chelsea
Nay
beninho
Snap Hook
Davie
Hibbz
1GrumpyGolfer
Shotrock
pedro
sirbenson
McLaren
MontysMerkin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
Scottrf
Roller_Coaster
skiddy
GPB
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
hend085
LadyPutt
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
37 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

(One of our regular golf posters frequently writes amazing articles on the major events going on in the golfing world. v2 poster McLaren has suggested that as The Masters is underway, that you might all want to share in the debate - Enjoy!
Adam D)

Kwinigolfer wrote:

1).When has there ever been a Masters when so many top golfers came to Augusta at the peak of their form, or very close to it? The field of 89 may be the smallest for 14 years, and at least 20 amateurs or ceremonial entrants are irrelevant, but cases could easily be made for dozens of others, strong cases for at least a dozen.

2).I watched an old BBC documentary last night about the music and life of the great Ronnie Lane, and Kenney Jones came up with an especially bon mot that surely also seems to apply to writers talking about The Masters. Talking about speaking by phone to a dying Ronnie in Colorado, Kenney said words to the effect of:
"Ronnie, I know you can't talk to me so I'm going to ask questions that I think you'd ask me, and then I'll answer them." Brilliant. Apparently Ronnie was lying there in hysterics!
But isn't that just like writers, and especially "tourists" from other sports, regurgitating the same old stories about the same old stars? The same old Rory this, Jordan that, Jason the other, rhetorical crap??

3).First, the field. Should it be even smaller, eliminating the seniors and amateurs? Not in my book, with some caveats. Some of the amateur qualifications might seem a tad/lot contrived, but I like the Past Champion exemption, so long as there's some performance criteria attached - even if it's five strikes (missed cuts in a row) and you're out. Celebrating Past Champions is part of the appeal to the "patrons"; this year's Rounds 1 & 2 will be a lovefest for Tom Watson. Perhaps O'Meara and Mize, Lyle and Woosie will stay at home soon but you can see the likes of Couples, Langer and Vijay playing until they get kicked out.
Next year the 2016 Olympic winner will also be exempt, as he will be for all four Majors.

4).Who would you include in the Field to make it more competitive? I would say Pieters has a strong case, but he's about the only one. Aussie Open Champ Matt Jones should be there, and he would have been if he hadn't pretty much tanked the past few months, so no sympathy there. Any others?

5).Unluckiest guy not to be competing is surely David Clark. Carried Adam Scott's bag to his most successful run for two or three years but shoved aside for Steve Williams in the Majors.

6).Who do you fancy? I'll look beyond the Top Three. Just something about Jason Day but wouldn't be shocked if he ran away like Spieth did last year.
Spieth doesn't seem quite at ease with his game and would be surprised if he wins here again, this year anyway.
And Rory (hole in one on #16 yesterday!) seems a bit Sergio-like right now; just when he looks like he's moving into top gear, he hits a mental speed bump of sorts, plus his putting has been unconvincing, to say the least. His stroke looks OK so does he just have trouble reading greens, even with that laser surgery?

7).Continental Europe hasn't seen a Masters winner for almost twenty years and I can't see that changing, much as I'd like to see Stenson win the Major he perhaps deserves. The head-cover is coming off Henrik's driver this week so that's a welcome(?) tactical switch.
And GB&I are lacking convincing form, tho' Casey and Rose seem to reserve some of their best weeks for Augusta.
The Asian contingent could surprise but question marks against their best players persist: Matsuyma's putting, Ben An's neck (he reckons he hasn't hit full shots since w/d'ing from his WGC Match vs Cabrera Bello).

8).Branden Grace had a fabulous season last year, but he's missed his past two Masters cuts and doesn't seem to be in top form just yet. But Oosthuizen and Schwartzel have been flying and both seem great each way bets.
Interesting that Phil Mickelson has overtaken Woods as leading Masters money winner; can Phil's chances ever be dismissed here? In decent form all year and certainly in my top five, along with Bubba. Rickie Fowler is a popular choice in the US media but I'll look past him and prefer Dustin Johnson and Snedeker as well as Bubba among the Americans. (No American under the age of 35 has won a PGA Tournament since Spieth three months ago in Hawaii, other than Finau in the opposite field event anyhow.)

9).Which leaves Adam Scott; one month ago no-one was playing better than Scott & Watson, and even with Excitable Boy bagman Williams keeping him company rather than the calming influence of Clark, I like Adam Scott a lot. Top Five then for moi with PP odds (e.w. paying top 7!):
Scott (11/1), Watson (11/1), Mickelson (18/1), Oosthuizen (33/1), Schwartzel (35/1). Rose top Brit, Kisner top rookie and Snedeker best outsider (55/1). Regional loyalties compel the choice of Derek Bard as leading amateur.    

10).The Masters throws up some surprising groupings and it's a shame that they haven't taken advantage of the smaller field to send them out in pairs for Rounds 1 & 2.
Who do you think they'll send out with Tom Watson? Snedeker perhaps, and a youngster would be my guess.
One of the most anticipated groupings of recent years was: Who will be playing with Woods following his Mississippi rehab in 2010? Do you remember who they chose??
For the next five days I'll accept The Masters for what it is and enjoy the action; chance of rain on Thursday and cool and breezy every day thru Saturday. Perfect forecast for Sunday and I can't wait. Enjoy!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

Does anyone think this has been a pretty boring Masters? I've not really seen any inspirational golf at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

The always contrarian Kevin Na trying to change that for you, super: one eagle and three birds thru his first eight holes.
Starting his run a bit late though, don't you think?
But at least it suggests there might be some fireworks in store.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:30 pm

I don't get the thing about making it really hard. Though it doesn't need to be a total birdie fest. I really am unsure if I like the course.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:32 pm

I kind of prefer watching major golf when par is a good score like this week! That's why I love the US Open

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:35 pm

super_realist wrote:Does anyone think this has been a pretty boring Masters? I've not really seen any inspirational golf at all.

If you had read some of the previous posts you would know that some people on here have been a little disappointed with the entertainment provided so far. I also don't think it helps that a player deemed to have an unlikable playing style is winning again. For all the lack of excitement and charges for the lead if a fan favorite was atop the leaderboard all may have been forgiven.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:36 pm

I've found it to be pretty entertaining, although what happened to Horschel and Thomas yesterday was a bit silly

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:39 pm

Does everyone think Spieth will close out the deal today?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

I don't think so SB. His driving has been woeful, and he can't keep getting up and down like that.
Carter Kaufman could win this, or day looks aggressive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:42 pm

Super, apparently Jordan has called his coach back to Augusta.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm

Sirbenson, yes I think Spieth will get it done even if he shoots over par. The reason being that there is no one behind him other than Day who you would expect to apply any pressure. If there were a couple more strong major players i wouldn't be so confident of Spieth's chances.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:49 pm

Is it top 12 or 16 that get invited back next year?!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 4:53 pm

sirbenson wrote:Is it top 12 or 16 that get invited back next year?!

top 12.

PS, I see the winds are predicted to drop a bit so scrap what I said about Spieth being ok if over par. In lower winds surely Day, Matsuyama or Kuaffman can go -1 or -2.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:05 pm

What about Matsuyama Mac? He looks the real deal and on greens that are like putting on linoleum anyone within 5-6 shots could win.

By the way, aren't the two American commentators currently on BBC Red button shambolic? No personality, no charisma, total non entities.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:09 pm

Are you kidding me super, read the post above.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

The way this weekend is going. I can see Bernard Langer winning.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:12 pm

sirbenson wrote:Does everyone think Spieth will close out the deal today?
If the weather on ok I think he will win easy.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:13 pm

I find BBC's actual coverage except for Andrew Cotter outdated!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:27 pm

Gerry Watson officially has no style. A green glove? Chrissake.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:29 pm

Lowry and Garcia have really fallen apart since their good first rounds! Disappointing from Shane

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:33 pm

Shoreditch Shane's career thus far is full of events where he struggles for a round or so.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:40 pm

You do remember the Bridgestone Super?!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:52 pm

Yes, one swallow doesn't make a summer though. I'm not picking on Shoreditch Shane alone though. Most golfers fall into this category.

Does anyone look more glaikit than Justin Thomas?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:35 pm

Hazel Irvine manages to get in a plug for a well known golf club manufacturer on the BBC. "tailor made" indeed.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

Super finish from Langasque - four under par in his final five holes. Looks like he shoots 68, second nine of 31.
Looks like a much more score-able set-up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:44 pm

Eagle on Par-4 14th from Kaymer. And he needed it.
Els-like mess on the third from Chris Wood. Which is the last thing he needed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:11 pm

Enough golf has passed today for us to get a feel for what the scoring will be like.

Predictions please for what the winning score will be?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:13 pm

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:20 pm

Kwini

So basically you predict Spieth to win pretty easy. Not sure anyone else could get to -6.

I will go optimistic and say -4 to bring those at even into contention.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:28 pm

Hope it's not another Spieth borefest whatever the score is. Be nice to see someone sneak in from nowhere. Willett perhaps? Seems to have gone under the radar so far.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:33 pm

Strange claim by Azinger on the BBC coverage, he said he didn't want to say what he rally thought about DeChambau, but then revealed that what he really thought was that he might already be the best player in the world. WTF?

If bed wetting matty could putt (where have I heard that before) he would be right up there. Why is it that the UK players are always great ball strikers but slightly shaky putters?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:41 pm

Mac,
I could easily see Day shooting 66, Rory's got the physical tools to shoot 64, that drive on #3 could be the catalyst for something special. That's why we watch after all.

And Matsuyama and Spieth are top class obviously.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:46 pm

Some have been less than excellent putters Mac, but there have been some tremendous British putters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 7:48 pm

Super

Really, other than Donald name a UK player that has reached the top based on an exceptional short game? (in last 10-15 years)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:02 pm

Shane will no doubt get a few guinness 's in after that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

Poulter has/had an outstanding short game. Rose has a fine short game too.
Monty had a nice shortgame too, as he was short off the tee.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:05 pm

Woosie has a good short game.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:14 pm

Not exactly the last 10-15 years kwini and Super, not sure poulter was ever a top player in terms of OWGR.

Just seems a greater proportion of Americans are really good putters compared to players from the UK. Kwini I think in the past you adhered to this line of thinking at least in terms of UK based players struggling to putt on some grass types in the US. It could just be the case of not growing up playing certain types of green.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:42 pm

Poulter reached top 5 status. You do have a habit of changing the question though when people blow holes in your theories

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:50 pm

Can't help but admire Spieth's putting (and scoring) .... but his pace of play would put a cup of coffee to sleep.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:51 pm

Davie, I was trying to lead up to the point that the UK doesn't seem to produce Spieth like players who never miss a putt.

Anyway, back to the action.

And another Spieth special. Good kick out of the right hand trees and 15 footer for par. Is that the secret of ANGC success?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:58 pm

Mac, Faldo in his pomp could putt as well as anyone ever has, but seeing as you set up your own criteria to try and make a point, I'll do the same.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm

We need a Jordan double to spice things up! Logic says he can't keep getting away with it - we shall see.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:07 pm

By the way, Aphibarnrat is a disgrace, makes Shane Lowry look like Karen Carpenter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:12 pm

Danny Willett could make this interesting. Spieth shouldwin though but not many making a real charge. Does spieth go back to number 1?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:12 pm

6 GB in the top 13.
Let's hope things get exciting.

Pace of play from Hideki & Bern is disgraceful, almost two holes behind Day, which is tough to be.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:14 pm

super_realist wrote:By the way, Aphibarnrat is a disgrace, makes Shane Lowry look like Karen Carpenter.

were you fiddled with by a fat irish priest when you were a lad?

Why is he a disgrace and why do you actually give a shiit about his size?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:15 pm

Americans would "woop" at the opening of an envelope wouldn't they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:15 pm

So basically jordan spieth is the augusta national putting champion 2016.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:16 pm

Spieth's ball clearly has a homing device fitted, just incredible putting.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:16 pm

Spieth is a bit unreal. Struggling with his game hugely and he's still going to win this at a canter by the look of it. Teasing he rest. Stupidly solid birdie at 6 after that dropped shot....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next